Coup

northernjohn

So much going on about the coup that all kinds of countries are issuing traveling warnings.

I am interested in how they have affected people who live here personally in their daily lives.

Would appreciate post's concerning you not I heard or I have a friend just personal experiences.

For myself no problems. I go the same places do the same things. No problems.

I realize that the initial 10:00 at night to 5:00 in the morning did affect many people but now that it is midnight until 4:00 in the morning how is it affecting your personal life.

Not your business loss due to lack of tourists. That is understandable but being low season any how to be expected.

n/j..beong a long term expat self funded retiree, i could nt give a hoot,,few black clouds are passing over ,sunny skies lay aheadbiggrin.png

perhaps the tourist trade operators etc etc may take a immediate dip or two , a common nature of any business, have no doubt the smart ,savvy ones will pull through

on the developerment (building) side they do not know the word, a backward step in c/mai

the past 4 days i have been keeping a viligant post on my property boundariessmile.png they are clearing 10 rai of prime property directly behind me, (of course chinese money),a up market residence estate is on the village grapevine,so if the tourist trade has slacken off, the chins cash for developements (blding) certainly has nt itsmile.png

a nice afternoon to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

I for one find the heavy presence of armed soldiers in full battle dress with their lorries etc - not just at the moat - offensive or at the least, off-putting. Moreover I know that the vast majority of locals must be feeling far worse than I about it but obviously have to lump it. So all in all it isn't the same for me even if my practical needs continue to be met as before.

Still trying to see a soldier, where I live in Ban Phai.

Beer places, are open all night.

Youngsters are only annoyed, with 7/11 closed at 12:00

People used to go to bed, earlier than the curfew, and they still do.

TV, still running, so I have something to do.

The dogs are still barking and howling outside.

Wish there was a curfew for them.

Silk, business is doing the same, you got the usual tourists buses, blocking the roads.

One thing has changed.......my wife tells me (she is an ER nurse) that because of the curfew there are less accidents during the night........so she can get some sleep.........

• Like 2

I am interested in how they have affected people who live here personally in their daily lives.

I can't speak my mind on Thailand based web forums. I'm asked to go home or sneak around after midnight. I know that it'll likely lead up to a hail of bullets like it did in previous coups (lumping in judicial coups here), but that I'm also unlikely to be exactly at the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 1

What coup,been through a few,and this one is the most benign

so far,no problem at all, and actually some good might come out

of it,IF they pass some really tough laws to combat corruption,as

the politicians were never going to do it,it would have been like cutting

their own hands off.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Silk, business is doing the same, you got the usual tourists buses, blocking the roads.

One thing has changed.......my wife tells me (she is an ER nurse) that because of the curfew there are less accidents during the night........so she can get some sleep.........

Ban Phai???

Ban Phai???

Somewhere beyond the borders of the Kingdom of Lanna. Abroad....

Ban Phai???

45 kms, south from Khon Kaen.

Ban Phai???

Somewhere beyond the borders of the Kingdom of Lanna. Abroad....

For you, ME Smith, I will waive the visa requirements, if you decide to visit me.

But bring your passport.

• Like 1

I for one find the heavy presence of armed soldiers in full battle dress with their lorries etc - not just at the moat - offensive or at the least, off-putting.

I grew up on a military base, so I hardly notice them.

The first few days with no TV and all the restaurants closing early really sucked, but now things are hunky dory.

I for one find the heavy presence of armed soldiers in full battle dress with their lorries etc - not just at the moat - offensive or at the least, off-putting.

The first few days with no TV and all the restaurants closing early really sucked, but now things are hunky dory.

Can Ziggy play guitar, yet?

I for one find the heavy presence of armed soldiers in full battle dress with their lorries etc - not just at the moat - offensive or at the least, off-putting. Moreover I know that the vast majority of locals must be feeling far worse than I about it but obviously have to lump it. So all in all it isn't the same for me even if my practical needs continue to be met as before.

I have noticed that in the previous coups in Thailand that I have lived through armed soldiers in battledress etc seem to be par for the course.

The locals that I know, and it is quite a lot, in general couldn't give a toss. 19 coups since 1932 is almost as regular as the World Cup!

I was in a special branch of the Fleet Air Arm, if I told you any more I would have to kill myself, so I won't!

Enjoying life too much.

• Like 1

Kids off school for one day; other than that everything is the same. Personally the effect of seeing soldiers around makes things feel more secure than when the (who ever could it have been targeting yellow side businesses?) were letting off grenades around town and police not interested to follow up nor catch anyone. Nice to read the media reports of all the illegal weapons, illegal logging, dodgey monks and other undesirables getting dealt with. Seems like the army are instigating a good clean up of many kinds of bad behavior and corruption. Hope so they pass strong reforms to break down the corruption rings and methods, institute good checks and balances and the like. Be good to have an audit committee made up from cross sections of armed forces, biz, and NGOs to check all spending in future; publish the budgets and accounts with full transparency. One can but dream. Look forward to seeing how this pans out. I'm confident it will be better than what came before. I am expanding our investing in Thailand and see this as a good buying opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Kids off school for one day; other than that everything is the same. Personally the effect of seeing soldiers around makes things feel more secure than when the (who ever could it have been targeting yellow side businesses?) were letting off grenades around town and police not interested to follow up nor catch anyone. Nice to read the media reports of all the illegal weapons, illegal logging, dodgey monks and other undesirables getting dealt with. Seems like the army are instigating a good clean up of many kinds of bad behavior and corruption. Hope so they pass strong reforms to break down the corruption rings and methods, institute good checks and balances and the like. Be good to have an audit committee made up from cross sections of armed forces, biz, and NGOs to check all spending in future; publish the budgets and accounts with full transparency. One can but dream. Look forward to seeing how this pans out. I'm confident it will be better than what came before. I am expanding our investing in Thailand and see this as a good buying opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

what a lovely dreamsmile.png got a nightmare for usad.png do the form over the last 50 yrs or so, corruption will be the winner , get used to it, and remember its a good life if u dont weakenbiggrin.png

Curfew to be lifted in Samui ,Pattaya and Phuket apparently..no mention of CM

It has.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731411-curfew-lifted-in-pattaya-samui-phuket/

CNX your SOL.wink.png

And the news story on Al Jazeera, through IPM, but Al Jazeera still blacked out on CTH as is ABC TV Australia ,what did they do wrong ?

A little too close to the bone!