Coup

northernjohn

I for one find the heavy presence of armed soldiers in full battle dress with their lorries etc - not just at the moat - offensive or at the least, off-putting.

I grew up on a military base, so I hardly notice them.

The first few days with no TV and all the restaurants closing early really sucked, but now things are hunky dory.

I was in a special branch of the Fleet Air Arm, if I told you any more I would have to kill myself, so I won't!

I meant that I literally grew up on a military base. I was born on one and spent my first 10 years living on post as well as spending a lot of time as a teenager visiting to use the gym, swimming pools, PX and medical facilities.

Kids off school for one day; other than that everything is the same. Personally the effect of seeing soldiers around makes things feel more secure than when the (who ever could it have been targeting yellow side businesses?) were letting off grenades around town and police not interested to follow up nor catch anyone. Nice to read the media reports of all the illegal weapons, illegal logging, dodgey monks and other undesirables getting dealt with. Seems like the army are instigating a good clean up of many kinds of bad behavior and corruption. Hope so they pass strong reforms to break down the corruption rings and methods, institute good checks and balances and the like. Be good to have an audit committee made up from cross sections of armed forces, biz, and NGOs to check all spending in future; publish the budgets and accounts with full transparency. One can but dream. Look forward to seeing how this pans out. I'm confident it will be better than what came before. I am expanding our investing in Thailand and see this as a good buying opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

what a lovely dreamsmile.png got a nightmare for usad.png do the form over the last 50 yrs or so, corruption will be the winner , get used to it, and remember its a good life if u dont weakenbiggrin.png

rubbish. the general is doing an excellent job of cleaning up the corruption and bad behavior that used to be swept under the rug. this time they are serious. try and be positive and supportive of the efforts.

• Like 2

I for one find the heavy presence of armed soldiers in full battle dress with their lorries etc - not just at the moat - offensive or at the least, off-putting. Moreover I know that the vast majority of locals must be feeling far worse than I about it but obviously have to lump it. So all in all it isn't the same for me even if my practical needs continue to be met as before.

A it hasn't affected me would have sufficed

The support on here for a military coupe is amazing.

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

Well I have mixed feelings about it.

But objectively it's good for me and expats/tourists in general. Especially if the underlying effort by the upper establishment in Thailand is successful, it'll be very good for most of us.

Being de-facto at an upper-middle class income level and lifestyle in Thailand, I benefit from having a large pool of people to draw upon to clean the house, work in the garden, massage my feet, laugh at my jokes in bars and so on. The ex government had a track record of increasing minimum wage, universal healthcare, guaranteed farm produce pricing and other populist handouts to the uneducated. One bar girl I know was even able to buy a car under the government tax rebate program! That's insane.

Tourists and expats alike want to be pampered; the neo-sahib lifestyle is so much better with a solid pool of people to facilitate things at a reasonable/affordable spend .

There, I said it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

Absolutely agree, but having a hard time separating the sarcasm from points of view!

Maybe there is no sarcasm. That's even more depressing!

• Like 1

Cannot say it affected our lives here at all.

Since we are never out during the hours they set a curfew on &

are not much for TV it has not really had any effects at all.

That is not to say we do not wonder about things in general

& how it may affect Thailand going forward.

When it was reported they will route all internet traffic thru a National gateway for monitoring

or the recent talk about a Thai version of Facebook etc...

Does make us pause

But for now no problems to speak of.

Edited by mania

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

But objectively it's good for me and expats in general. As I'm enjoying an upper-middle class lifestyle, I benefit from having a large pool of people to draw upon to clean the house, work in the garden, massage my feet and laugh at my jokes in bars. The ex government had a track record of increasing minimum wage, universal healthcare, guaranteed farm produce pricing and other populist handouts to the uneducated. Call me selfish but I like to be pampered; the neo-sahib lifestyle is so much better with a solid pool of desperate people.

There, I said it.

Nice one

Have a three fingered salute in support of your principals, if it were legal.

Whatever happened to Dolly ??

• Like 1

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

28 dead in over 6 months of demonstrations and no sign of it ending .What did you want more of the same . At least it as stabilised at the moment. They have put a framework forward towards elections .It is up to the people now to see further than Red and Yellow . Why you think it is horrifying to try and stop the killings is to me truly Horrifying and amazing.

The military have a good history of stopping the killings. (⊙_⊙)

• Like 1

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

28 dead in over 6 months of demonstrations and no sign of it ending .What did you want more of the same . At least it as stabilised at the moment. They have put a framework forward towards elections .It is up to the people now to see further than Red and Yellow . Why you think it is horrifying to try and stop the killings is to me truly Horrifying and amazing.

Have a quick perusal of the history of past military coupe's and their relative successes.

Then ask yourself why a certain party seems to to be unable in recent history to win an election ( about 20 years )

And finally, ask yourself where the civil liberties of Thai people are at the moment and what will be the likely outcome over the next 18- 24 months.

I doubt if 5 years from now you will be arguing that a coupe at this stage was a good thing for the growth and the political, social and economic development of the country.

• Like 1

"..........The ex government had a track record of increasing minimum wage, universal healthcare, guaranteed farm produce pricing and other populist handouts to the uneducated.................."

Not a lot wrong with that, would you not agree ???

Bring back the ex government, but please can we have more populist handouts for the educated ??

Subsidized subscriptions to The Nation, perhaps?

Curfew to be lifted in Samui ,Pattaya and Phuket apparently..no mention of CM

It has.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731411-curfew-lifted-in-pattaya-samui-phuket/

CNX your SOL.wink.png

And the news story on Al Jazeera, through IPM, but Al Jazeera still blacked out on CTH as is ABC TV Australia ,what did they do wrong ?

Interviewed Robert Amsterdam!

• Like 1

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

But objectively it's good for me and expats/tourists in general. Especially if the underlying effort by the upper establishment in Thailand is successful, it'll be very good for most of us.

Being de-facto at an upper-middle class income level and lifestyle in Thailand, I benefit from having a large pool of people to draw upon to clean the house, work in the garden, massage my feet, laugh at my jokes in bars and so on. The ex government had a track record of increasing minimum wage, universal healthcare, guaranteed farm produce pricing and other populist handouts to the uneducated. One bar girl I know was even able to buy a car under the government tax rebate program! That's insane.

Tourists and expats alike want to be pampered; the neo-sahib lifestyle is so much better with a solid pool of people to facilitate things at a reasonable/affordable spend .

There, I said it.

Well to be honest with you all you have done is express opinions. The question was how has it personally affected you.

The truth is that since they moved the curfew time to midnight it has not affected me at all.

How ever this is Thai Visa and I knew going in it would fall apart but it did have a very good run of facts that people have experienced. Along with two posters showing their insecurities with the presence of the army.

To those who have posted honest experiences thank you to the rest of you well you were expected. I knew not every one would answer the questions.wai.gif

• Like 1

Kids off school for one day; other than that everything is the same. Personally the effect of seeing soldiers around makes things feel more secure than when the (who ever could it have been targeting yellow side businesses?) were letting off grenades around town and police not interested to follow up nor catch anyone. Nice to read the media reports of all the illegal weapons, illegal logging, dodgey monks and other undesirables getting dealt with. Seems like the army are instigating a good clean up of many kinds of bad behavior and corruption. Hope so they pass strong reforms to break down the corruption rings and methods, institute good checks and balances and the like. Be good to have an audit committee made up from cross sections of armed forces, biz, and NGOs to check all spending in future; publish the budgets and accounts with full transparency. One can but dream. Look forward to seeing how this pans out. I'm confident it will be better than what came before. I am expanding our investing in Thailand and see this as a good buying opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

what a lovely dreamsmile.png got a nightmare for usad.png do the form over the last 50 yrs or so, corruption will be the winner , get used to it, and remember its a good life if u dont weakenbiggrin.png

rubbish. the general is doing an excellent job of cleaning up the corruption and bad behavior that used to be swept under the rug. this time they are serious. try and be positive and supportive of the efforts.

Whether you, me or anyone else here are supportive or not won't make any difference. What are the odds of the coup ending corruption in Thailand? Zero. No harm in trying though. Corruption and politics worldwide go hand in hand. The so-called most powerful man in the world can't do most of what he set out and promised to do. Why, corruption, vested interests, lobbyists and big business. This is not why this topic was opened though....

How has it affected me? I get to bed earlier.

• Like 2

Truly amazing.

And horrifying.

There, I said it.

Can anyone here tell me how to go about changing my username?

"Neo-Sahib" appears to be available, and is veritably imbued with that certain, ineffable, rumpled linen "je ne sais quoi" that can make all the difference in uncertain times such as these.

Large pools? Foot massage? Obsequious hangers on?

Sign me up, Sevaki! thumbsup.gif

Under the current circumstances, it is not possible to freely answer the questions.

I take it you have had a bad experience then.

sorry for your misfortune.

Mod's the topic has been drifting to opinions and as you can see accusations that things have affected them so bad that they can not even mention it. I am sure some one will be opening a thread for opinions no facts or experience required.

Close the thread down please.

I see this topic has drifted into the direction I warned not to and I removed a post too close to the edge. This is too dangerous of a time to be criticizing the military. Recently some academics, including one I know personally, have been ordered to report to the military. Some due to what they have written on the Internet. I'm sorry but as such, and some members don't seem to 'get it', I'm closing this to protect both members and Thaivisa.

//Closed//

• Like 2