Why do some Non immigrant O VISAS say "no employment allowed" and some dont?

So I was having a BBQ with the neighbours awhile back and 6 of us are on Non O visas. The thing is the 2 guys that had their's issued in Hong Kong both have a line in their visa that says "Employment Prohibited" but the 4 of us that had ours issued in Europe do not have this line in our visas. Is it ok for us to work and not them or is it just that they don't feel the need to put this line on visas issued in Europe?

Needs to be confirmed by Marion or Ubonjoe, but I believe that even if it doesn't say 'work prohibited', a work permit would still be needed.

A work permit is always needed to work but I doubt you will get one if your visa says "employment prohibited".

• Like 1

It is a Mistake by some Embassy's /Consulates, You still can get a work permit,

Yup, my original non-o from Cardief (yes that's how it was spelled on the stamp) said Employment Prohibited.

Labour Department didn't even question it, WP issued without issue smile.png

• Like 1

Not if it's upon the basis of being a retired old codger you can't.

I got a Non-O in London when I was in my 50's that had "Working Prohibited".............coffee1.gif

I think that is taken as read you can not get, or supposed not be able to get a wp permit on a non o based on retirement so what is your point

• Like 2

I think that is taken as read you can not get, or supposed not be able to get a wp permit on a non o based on retirement so what is your point

Your posting was unclear. I read it to mean that you can always get a work permit with a Non-O. Nowhere previously in the discussion has there been any reference to whether the Non-O was based upon retirement or marriage making it a legitimate assumption.

I now think what you probably meant was that the stamp "Employment Prohibited" (or similar) doesn't affect eligibility for a work permit.

Yup, my original non-o from Cardief (yes that's how it was spelled on the stamp) said Employment Prohibited.

I'd assume that a Non-O retirement visa, guess it's the OA type doesn't allow you to work, which makes sense to me.

An ordinary Non-O, based on being married to a Thai citizen shouldn't have such a stamp, as you're allowed to work on such a visa.

Could it be possible that they're sometimes using the wrong stamp?-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Conversely my original non-imm OA for retirement from the London Embassy didn't include these dreaded words (as it should have).

I think that we can safely conclude, therefore, that the activation (or non-activation) of the "Employment Prohibited" stamp is entirely dependent on the particular side of the bed which the Embassy/Consulate official who was responsible for affixing the visa got out of that particular morningbiggrin.png

Conversely my original non-imm OA for retirement from the London Embassy didn't include these dreaded words (as it should have).

I think that we can safely conclude, therefore, that the activation (or non-activation) of the "Employment Prohibited" stamp is entirely dependent on the particular side of the bed which the Embassy/Consulate official who was responsible for affixing the visa got out of that particular morningbiggrin.png

Thought anyone on a retirement visa cannot work, full stop.........?

• Like 1

Thought anyone on a retirement visa cannot work, full stop.........?

I do vaguely recall reports on here of OA's granted in the USA including these words.

In any event, surely no harm in stating the obvious - no matter how "bleeding" it might be!

This also confused me last year when I was getting a work permit..I thought you could only get one with a B Visa, though I ended up getting a the WP with a Non Imm O but the it still had "Employment Prohibited" written on it.. But I guess as stated before all visas are technically "employment prohibited" in a way because without the WP the working on ANY type of visa isn't legal

• Like 1

I have the non immigrant O multi visa. Based on pension /retirement. When I apply for it at the Embassy in my home country. The website, forms and so on say it's for holiday and to take a retreit in the Kingdom. And no working. It's the same with the O-A visa.

If I apply for the non O based on spouse/ family it does not say that

I always imagined that this is not an actual prohibition per se - it merely means that the Visa, in and of itself, does not allow the holder to work in Thailand.

If one wishes to work in Thailand than a totally separate Work Permit is necessary, i.e. in addition to whatever Visa the applicant used to enter Thailand.

Patrick

It simply means, like everything else here, that whatever you are requesting is up to the discretion of the Immigration Office at the time. If you want to work on your Non-Imm O, find an Immigration Office that will grant you the work permit to do so!

It simply means, like everything else here, that whatever you are requesting is up to the discretion of the Immigration Office at the time. If you want to work on your Non-Imm O, find an Immigration Office that will grant you the work permit to do so!

Work permits are not done by immigration. They are done by the Labor Ministry.

• Like 1

This string of posts caused me to grab my last two maxi-passports and check my comprehensive collection of Non-Immigrant O Visas issued because my partner (not married) and I had one and now have two children. These Visas were issued at a real cross section of Embassy across Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe - over the last 8 years and I can report that not a single one has a stamp or note - employment not allowed or Employment Prohibited. They include a Visa issued in Germany and one issued in London. So maybe Non Immigrant O Visas based on dependents is completely exempted from any restriction on working.

I've reported on a previous post that I once got a Work Permit to do some work in Thailand with a large logistics company - no problem what so ever - took a day to get it from the Labour Department and I didn't even have to attend - just sign the application form and hand over scans of passport and the relevant pages.

Some years ago I thought about getting a retirement visa and was advised against it for that very reason - I was told if I got that Class of Non Immigrant O Visa I would not be allowed to work in Thailand and might even have trouble helping out on my partner's various business ventures. BUT as I always say on these posts - things are very variable here in the Kingdom and it seems to depend, as someone said earlier, on which side of the bed (or whose bed) the official got out of in the morning.

New rule: in order to apply for a work permit one needs a NON-O or Non-B visa. Check the immigration website.

Why would immigration have info about work permits on their website, They don't do them.

You can apply for a work permit with a tourist visa but it will not be issued until you have a non immigrant visa.

Well said. I applyed for a work permit in 2008, but I had a problem about my visa Type. Then I just change my visa to a Non-B (I did it outside Thailand in Taiwan's consulate in Taipei) and after that everything was just fine and I got my work permit in Thailand. I'm not quite sure if you can do all the procedures inside Thailand as a tourist with tourist visa type. Then better you call your employer and ask this questions to then, in my situation it was all arraged by them, I went to the thai consulate to provide a letter of employment and my papers, was really simple and no hassles.

Edited by deepcell

Needs to be confirmed by Marion or Ubonjoe, but I believe that even if it doesn't say 'work prohibited', a work permit would still be needed.

A work permit is always needed to work but I doubt you will get one if your visa says "employment prohibited".

Yes, you always need a Work Permit. I always heard that a visa has to be Non-Immigrant B for work; only if you are married to a Thai WP can be issued on basis of a Non-O – however don't know about WP for volunteers work...

Edit: I have had several Non-O and the last 8 years extensions for retirement, never had any stamped with “Work prohibited”…

Edited by khunPer

Exactly! what's the point of stamping it on your Visa if it doesn't mean what it says.

The same applies on the O A Retirement Visa,"Employment Prohibited" just to make sure you understand,you have retired in Thailand,and you can't work!

Just to add to the confusion.... One time I got my non-imm B at the embassy in Korea. It had a stamp, 'Not valid for work'. I told them that work was why I got a B visa. The answer, "must have work permit."

• Like 2