ATMs beefed up with anti-skimming technology: Thailand

webfact

ATMs beefed up with anti-skimming technology
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Bankers' Association wants to install devices that will prevent "card skimming" in all ATM machines within two months, and replace magnetic-strip cards with microchip equivalents by January 2016, in a bid to reduce ATM card-related crime.

TBA secretary general Twatchai Yongkittikul also confirmed that each bank currently has preventive measures, including the ability to suspend an account within 1-2 hours of a card going missing or being used in suspicious manner. He urged customers not to worry, as the banks would be responsible for losses due to card-skimming crimes.

Twatchai was speaking yesterday after meeting with national police deputy chief Pol General Aek Angsananont, related police units, bank representatives and Internet operators to discuss preventive measures.

He said the discussion clarified which police unit would be responsible for crimes involving ATM cards. Crimes related to such electronic card usage would be filed with the Economic Crime Suppression Division, while thefts not involve cards would be filed with the Technology Crime Suppression Division, he said.

The Police's Foreign Division could help check whether foreigners' passports used in an application for Thai bank accounts were authentic or not, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-04

The headline reads ' beefed up ' suggesting it has been done already but the body of the article says ' wants within 2 months ' but wanting isn't always getting.

With all the ATMs around this will be quite a financial outlay especially for the biggest banks who may not rush into it within 2 months and perhaps selectively too since an ATM in a very rural area doesn't equate to one in Bkk, Pattaya and so on.

I wonder if banks really will accept liability for losses, well not without a struggle anyway.

Meanwhile.......

The Police's Foreign Division could help check whether foreigners' passports used in an application for Thai bank accounts were authentic or not, he added.
  • Like 1

BKK Bank does have this chip technology for quite sometime now. It is true that you can only use a BKK bank ATM. When the other banks deploy this technology, I would assume you can use chipped cards at any of them.

As for transferring money outside of Thailand, I have done this many times without an issue.

SCB is pretty save I think, never use ATMs that just stand there like a drinking water machine. Always use the build in the wall from banks or at least in a secured mall. Kasikorn was an easy target a while a go, now I'm not sure (no I never tried and would not know how to do it lol).

At Bangkok Bank, the cards with chips can ONLY be used at a BK Bank ATM and WILL NOT work abroad at all.

You need to get a magnetic strip one.

So will this mean you can only go to the card issuing bank, and can not access any Thai funds abroad via ATM ?

It is extremely difficult to get a Thai bank to do a Intl wire transfer by the bay, money is one way in Thailand.

Banks in other countries have been using chips for years.

Hear hear

It p!$$es me off that Thai banks will SWIFTly (pun intended) allow a transaction of deposits from abroad I.e. My salary from Singapore but the moment I try to transfer from SCB to (e.g. My sister's account in the UK) all he'll breaks loose with difficulties and blatant refusal .!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The headline reads ' beefed up ' suggesting it has been done already but the body of the article says ' wants within 2 months ' but wanting isn't always getting.

With all the ATMs around this will be quite a financial outlay especially for the biggest banks who may not rush into it within 2 months and perhaps selectively too since an ATM in a very rural area doesn't equate to one in Bkk, Pattaya and so on.

I wonder if banks really will accept liability for losses, well not without a struggle anyway.

"Beef up." May be a euphemism for hiring a few beefy motorcycles to rev up down outside an ATM when a customer approaches. So "beef up" in Thai may mean the "show" of surface strength. Like putting lipstick on a pig. This follows along the general Thai strategy to never address the core problem but rather to just make a few statements that "measures" or beefing up steps are being taken. It's all part of the Thai show.

• Like 1

Lots of stories about accounts being skimmed here in Thailand. I have yet to hear from a foreigner

who has had his/her Thai bank account skimmed and had the money replaced by the bank.

So while banks say don't worry the money will be replaced, I would not hold my breath.

Police, banks and ISPs team up to prevent ATM card skimming

BANGKOK, 4 June 2014 (NNT) – Police, banks and internet service providers are teaming up find ways to prevent the rampant ATM skimming activities carried out by gangs of foreigners.

Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner Ek Angsananon on Tuesday met with representatives from banks and ISPs to deliberate measures against ATM card skimmers. Those at the meeting agreed to increase exchanges of information on the skimming issue, and the police promised it would quickly set up a database of foreign gangs that have committed offenses in Thailand. The police will also monitor and try to prevent buying and selling of card skimming machines.

Thai Bankers' Association secretary-general Thawatchai Yongkittikun said after the meeting that all banks have been asked to install devices that protect against ATM card skimming at all ATM machines within 3 months. The banks also agreed to switch from the cards with magnetic strip to ones with embedded chips, by January 1, 2016. The new type of cards is believed to be more resistant to skimming or information extraction.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-04 footer_n.gif

At Bangkok Bank, the cards with chips can ONLY be used at a BK Bank ATM and WILL NOT work abroad at all.

So will this mean you can only go to the card issuing bank, and can not access any Thai funds abroad via ATM ?

It is extremely difficult to get a Thai bank to do a Intl wire transfer by the bay, money is one way in Thailand.

Here's what the Bangkok Bank website says about using its chipped debit card outside of Thailand.....guess this means you need to use an ATM that accepts chipped cards also, not just magnetic strip cards. Do you have the Bangkok Bank chipped card and have you tried it outside Thailand in an ATM that also accept chipped cards? If so, what country?

• Withdraw cash safely: The card can be used at more than 8,500 Bangkok Bank ATMs nationwide. VISA EMV-enabled ATMs are also available in some countries abroad, so your money can be kept safe when you travel.

BKK Bank does have this chip technology for quite sometime now. It is true that you can only use a BKK bank ATM. When the other banks deploy this technology, I would assume you can use chipped cards at any of them.

As for transferring money outside of Thailand, I have done this many times without an issue.

I guess that makes me and everyone else total dimshits because I've been trying for a decade and it has never happened.

This isnt Bangkk Banks fault, the be1st Smart visa card requires EMV machine, so its the card I opt for as apparently more difficult to skim. I have to use a BK Bank ATM whilst in Thailand, however I've had no problem paying for stuff on the Internet abroad (card-not-present transaction) and using it a point of sale checkouts in Malaysia (hotels and supermarkets in kota bharu, duty free at border, etc..) so it does work abroad just not in ATMs. Also have no problem having it linked to my Paypal.

In addition as more machines worldwide are upgraded to support EMV you'll find it will start working in ATMs abroad, although when this gains traction who knows.

There is no artifical limitations on Be1st Smart card visa just Bangkok Bank have opted for a rather new (<10yrs) technology for greater security.

Do you have the Bangkok Bank chipped card and have you tried it outside Thailand in an ATM that also accept chipped cards? If so, what country?

I tried in several different bank ATMs in malaysia (top floor kota bharu shopping centre complex) with no success but any of shops it was fine including even Burger King for a $3 breakfast (yeah dont ask)

Edited by matt111

Although I have not tried it - and from previous experience know written word is not always a given - believe Bangkok Bank allows you to have both the normal mag strip card and new chip card at same time so that would solve any chip issues overseas or at other ATM machines if they can do the mag strip with only an extra card fee. Much safer using the chip card for normal usage I would think.

I guess that makes me and everyone else total dimshits because I've been trying for a decade and it has never happened.

It’s true that you can’t use a chipped BKK Bank ATM card to transfer money out of Thailand but ATM is an expensive way to transfer money out of Thailand anyway. You get killed by fees that way.

Although I have not tried it - and from previous experience know written word is not always a given - believe Bangkok Bank allows you to have both the normal mag strip card and new chip card at same time so that would solve any chip issues overseas or at other ATM machines if they can do the mag strip with only an extra card fee. Much safer using the chip card for normal usage I would think.

Yes you can get both, i was charged 300thb for the extra magnetic only, very useful to have when there is no Bkk atm's around!

He urged customers not to worry, as the banks would be responsible for losses due to card-skimming crimes.

Based on situations involving a handful of friends of mine over the years.. This is a blatant lie.

Strip or Chip,- the cards with a chip are the way to go, as they are used more and more overseas. Also look at the newer credit cards, and somew of them can be used at local ATMs. Reason is said to be simply more security and the ability to put more information onto the chip.

But I guess it's like with many other issues: You make something foolproof and within short time the hackers/thieves et al have managed to break the technolopy or circumvent it.

Better to be careful when using it:
* Use ATMs you know and where you can see, if any changes (or holes) have been made to the outside or surface of the machine.

* Watch out, that nobody can see your PIN and NEVER give away your PIN, not even to friends to draw money for you with your card (A favourite among Thais!).

* Use a non-standard PIN (e.g. not 1-2-3-4 or such). And you can change your PIN every once in a while too.

* If possible don't use an ATM at night but during the bank working hours. If anything goes wrong, you can enter the bank and claim/report immediately. However the ATMs are set up and run not by the banks but an external company names ATM Pool (or similar).

He urged customers not to worry, as the banks would be responsible for losses due to card-skimming crimes.

Based on situations involving a handful of friends of mine over the years.. This is a blatant lie.

Yes, but the customer has to prove it was a card-skimming crime. (And not the Mrs. borrowing the card...).

That I would like to see happen in practice. Talking about it and telling everyone about it is one thing but we have see. Many posts on TV about people losing money this way and the banks response "nothing we can do, get some more money to put in our bank". Talk is cheap here until something really does happen to someone.

Talk is even cheaper with some posters. Many reports also about banks refunding skimmed funds so it does happen in practice.

"...nothing we can do, get some more money to put in our bank". I'd love to see you back that assertion up.

All European bank cards have both a chip and a magnetic strip nowadays and since the beginning of 2011 they are not accepted by Thai ATMs (Bangkok Bank included) unless you have obtained an explicit and temporary exemption from your European bank to use the magnetic strip.

On the other hand some ATM’s in Europe still accept Thai bank cards (also Bangkok Bank included), albeit usually with the message “fallback to magnetic strip” on the ticket.