ATMs beefed up with anti-skimming technology: Thailand

webfact

Mind you they've yet to be able to devise any technology modern or otherwise that will beat my missus at skimming my account as opposed to hers at the A.T.M.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Grandmother-ATM-001.jpg

Had me laughing all the way to the bank.

... to check.

I understand that ATM's run on XP for which Microsoft have now stopped security updates. Anyone know what the situation is in this respect?

At Bangkok Bank, the cards with chips can ONLY be used at a BK Bank ATM and WILL NOT work abroad at all.

You need to get a magnetic strip one.

So will this mean you can only go to the card issuing bank, and can not access any Thai funds abroad via ATM ?

It is extremely difficult to get a Thai bank to do a Intl wire transfer by the bay, money is one way in Thailand.

Banks in other countries have been using chips for years.

Here's what the Bangkok Bank website says about using its chipped debit card outside of Thailand.....guess this means you need to use an ATM that accepts chipped cards also, not just magnetic strip cards. Do you have the Bangkok Bank chipped card and have you tried it outside Thailand in an ATM that also accept chipped cards? If so, what country?

• Withdraw cash safely: The card can be used at more than 8,500 Bangkok Bank ATMs nationwide. VISA EMV-enabled ATMs are also available in some countries abroad, so your money can be kept safe when you travel.

In Europe (unlike the USA) all ATMs require chipped cards, but some still accept foreign magnetic strip cards.

He urged customers not to worry, as the banks would be responsible for losses due to card-skimming crimes.

That I would like to see happen in practice. Talking about it and telling everyone about it is one thing but we have see. Many posts on TV about people losing money this way and the banks response "nothing we can do, get some more money to put in our bank". Talk is cheap here until something really does happen to someone.

I was in KL for a few days earlier this week, and I saw a few notices, warning folk that cards without a chip were no longer acceptable in many stores, ticketing machines etc.

Here in C.M. it's the usual story when the check out operator doesn't even look at the signature on the olde magnetic strip card.

Mind you they've yet to be able to devise any technology modern or otherwise that will beat my missus at skimming my account as opposed to hers at the A.T.M.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Grandmother-ATM-001.jpg

Had me laughing all the way to the bank.

... to check.

I understand that ATM's run on XP for which Microsoft have now stopped security updates. Anyone know what the situation is in this respect?

ATMs use Win XP "Embedded" which is still supported to the 2016 to 2019 timeframe....see this Link for more info.

This is like a technological competition of wits.

The banks install security devices on their plastic and online banking systems and the criminals invent ways to breach them. It continues to go round in a circle meaning that using plastic and online banking will always be a risk and can never be foolproof. Not only that but the banks will always try and defend their security systems claiming that they are invulnerable and that it must be the customers at fault rather than lose face and admit that their plastic card and online banking carries high risks. Anyone who is unfortunate enough to become a victim of crime via the plastic card and online banking systems will have to jump through hell and high water in order to prove that the banks systems are at fault and unsecured.

In my opinion criminals that steal money via ATM, credit and debit cards and the online computer banking system are no different to those who would break into a bank, steal the cash and walk out with it and should be treated as such.

I would never use online banking in Thailand and only use my ATM in the case of absolute emergencies. I have to use online banking for my foreign accounts and treat with great caution. I always scan my computer thoroughly prior to logging in to my online banking and only on my home computer. I also keep all my programmes up to date including my anti virus and spyware software.

Tranferring through bangkok bank to australia is easy. My girl goes to the bank every month and transfers to Aussie. You need to go to a big branch to do it but just require swift code, bsb and account number. No problems. There is a form to fill in and will require passport or id card.

Edited by callaway

• 9 months later...

This is like a technological competition of wits.

The banks install security devices on their plastic and online banking systems and the criminals invent ways to breach them. It continues to go round in a circle meaning that using plastic and online banking will always be a risk and can never be foolproof. Not only that but the banks will always try and defend their security systems claiming that they are invulnerable and that it must be the customers at fault rather than lose face and admit that their plastic card and online banking carries high risks. Anyone who is unfortunate enough to become a victim of crime via the plastic card and online banking systems will have to jump through hell and high water in order to prove that the banks systems are at fault and unsecured.

In my opinion criminals that steal money via ATM, credit and debit cards and the online computer banking system are no different to those who would break into a bank, steal the cash and walk out with it and should be treated as such.

I would never use online banking in Thailand and only use my ATM in the case of absolute emergencies. I have to use online banking for my foreign accounts and treat with great caution. I always scan my computer thoroughly prior to logging in to my online banking and only on my home computer. I also keep all my programmes up to date including my anti virus and spyware software.

Best is also to always delete your cookies and browsing history at logoff, also at home.

I was given a list last week by my local Bangkok Bank Branch of the countries where their chipped cards can be used, since misplaced. The list included the UK but you can only use them at EMV ATMs.