Thai Police: No plain clothes officers carry media arm band to access protest sites

webfact

Police: No plain clothes officers carry media arm band to access protest sites

BANGKOK, 4 June 2014 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police affirmed that no plain clothes police officers were assigned to patrol protest sites by using media arm bands as reported by a national press association.

The Thai Journalists Association has urged police to probe the alleged presence of security officers disguised as journalists near protest areas. The Royal Thai Police said initial investigations found no such officer.

They further elaborated that plain clothes police officers often carry an access pass that allows them to weave through sensitive areas and they would not need to pose as press members to gain access.

Police are however set to monitor individuals who are not plain clothes officers and accessed these areas under the pretense of being reporters. New measures including tightened inspection on distribution of press arm bands are slated to be imposed.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-04 footer_n.gif

I'm sure the police will be monitoring this individual then (at 2.21) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3SFm3ESBk4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m56s

Nice find.. caught them in a lie (unless the guy really is not police) else the one making this statement was imitating the PTP minister of finance. (mr white and black lies).

Seems that often even when confronted with evidence they will still stick to their story. Just like that senator that voted for others who lied in court. These attitudes really need to change. (fat chance)

• Like 1

I think the police are pretty much 100% busted, or the video on youtube was a ghost.

This was a journalist pretending to be undercover cop. When he is found he will be transferred to inactive position.

1. Police is always right

2. If not follow point no. 1

• Like 1

Wow this really is amazing Thailand. So journalists have the power to arrest and

drag off people ?? :-) Am wondering what crime this old lady committed.....

On a side note, the Thai police must really really hate Youtube, and must

reflect back to the good old days before everyone had a smart phone with

a camera....Then they could do whatever they wanted, and then deny

everything.........

Ah just saw another video, apparently she was protesting. Guess cannot

have that......Sort of sad at one point as she is being dragged away, where

she says " help me please" in English.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I'm sure the police will be monitoring this individual then (at 2.21) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3SFm3ESBk4&feature=youtu.be&t=1m56s

Nice find.. caught them in a lie (unless the guy really is not police) else the one making this statement was imitating the PTP minister of finance. (mr white and black lies).

Seems that often even when confronted with evidence they will still stick to their story. Just like that senator that voted for others who lied in court. These attitudes really need to change. (fat chance)

Why are you saying it may be a PTP member??? Are you trying to stir up the fire some more???

Don't know why they bother to write such articles. Over the years their actions have brought the public to a point where nothing the police do or say has any credibility. Totally dysfunctional organization lacking credibility.

I'm not sure that this old lady is out of clink yet. She was taken in on the same day as the protester bundled into the taxi and reports say she also went to Lumpini police station. According to the story I saw the army were waiting and took the taxi woman off to another location. I haven't seen any reports saying what later happened to either woman. There was a statement on the net by a police officer saying that minor offenders would be held for 7 days and then released, which seems a bit harsh for holding up three fingers.

Edited by citizen33

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can understand maintaining peace. Their action to this one old woman is just to extreme. How much suppression can they get?

Not sure of any one saw the video. It was one taken of a lady being taken away. One of the people taking her away had a tag hanging around his neck saying in English PRESS.

They did not shoot the part where she brought all that attention on to her. For all we know she might have shot some body. It was obvious that the video was meant to imply she was being mistreated with out giving a reason for her being taken away.

You are going to have to show me more than that. For all we know the guy with a PRESS sign in English was just a fake. A red shirt doing what he could to discredit the best government Thailand has available. Why was it in English at a Thai rally?

A lot of gullible people here. Just willing to believe the worst with no evidence. What did she do wrong show me that video.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can understand maintaining peace. Their action to this one old woman is just to extreme. How much suppression can they get?

Not sure of any one saw the video. It was one taken of a lady being taken away. One of the people taking her away had a tag hanging around his neck saying in English PRESS.

They did not shoot the part where she brought all that attention on to her. For all we know she might have shot some body. It was obvious that the video was meant to imply she was being mistreated with out giving a reason for her being taken away.

You are going to have to show me more than that. For all we know the guy with a PRESS sign in English was just a fake. A red shirt doing what he could to discredit the best government Thailand has available. Why was it in English at a Thai rally?

A lot of gullible people here. Just willing to believe the worst with no evidence. What did she do wrong show me that video.

Stop shouting and be prepared to be embarassed - well at least I hope so.

The woman, on her own, turned up at Ratchaprasong on Sunday morning. She was wearing a hand made paper mask which had the word "people" written on it (in English). She didn't say or do anything. She then left the shopping area and police followed her until they arrested her at Pratunam intersection https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/473270031007363072/photo/1

Why do people go down a side track? The issue this thread is discussing as per the heading is

Replying to Thai Police: No plain clothes officers carry media arm band to access protest sites

So why do people feel it necessary to ignore that question and start talking about other questions such as if the arrest was legal or not or if the woman shot someone or whatever. If people want to rage about non-central issues, then they should start a new thread.

This video was flagged because it exposed the RTP making an incorrect statement about undercover cops using PRESS identification as a cover and it is not implying anything else. It is a fact that a person with a PRESS tag was acting as a police officer. End of story.

Gullible people? How about people who cannot focus on the core issue.

Edited by raybal5
  • Like 2

So a day later and still no apology to the "gullible people" here. Par for the course....................

Edited by fab4

So a day later and still no apology to the "gullible people" here. Par for the course....................

Do you even know what the heck you're talking about? Try looking at the headline and reading the blasted article for starters.