Chemical and pesticide service for snakes and bugs worth it?

My wife and I have purchased a new place. A snake was found in the garden by some building workers. Now my wife would like to employ the services of a company to treat the garden monthly with a chemical to remove pests (bugs included). The price of the service is 20,000 baht a year and you have to sign up for 1 year minimum.

The property is on a small plot (438 sq. m). The garden is mostly concrete and surrounded by a 1.5m tall concrete wall, but we do back onto rough ground behind the property but there are no overhanging trees.

To be honest the service sounds way too expensive but it has been hard to convince my wife that I don't think it is needed.

Has anyone else used this type of service? Can I spray pesticides myself? Do I even need this service?

Oh yes, I have 3 small dogs, surely the chemicals will be harmful to them?

Thanks.

What type of snake was it?

Can you close up any potential access points so further beasties cannot get in?

I'm not a great lover of chemical treatments (except for ants and termites), if you can find a natural means to keep them out so much the better.

20k seems way expensive, I'd be finding out exactly what you get for the money.

Don't do it,whats all this paranoia about snakes, too many posts on ThaiVisa about

people wanting to kill them,and the sad thing is 99% you see will be harmless,25 years

living here,I have seen many snakes in the garden,but not one Cobra,Kriat.

20,000 bht, that will be upfront,they will promise you the earth and not deliver,if you

want to spray for termites you can do that yourself,but keep the dogs inside for

a day or two after.

regards Worgeordie

It will the chemicals that they spray that will be most harmful to you ,your family and your dogs, not a few insects ,and snakes rarely venture where they put themselves into danger of crossing paranoid and dangerous humans .

The only treatment you should seriously consider would be for termites - check your door frames, if the frames haven't been treated or are a soft wood type (i.e. pine) then eventually the termites will eat them away, especially if you are locatated in a new out of town moo baan. The best treatment for this involves a poisoned food type thing which attracts the termites and they then take it back to the mound and kills the colony.

As for the rest of the 'pests' I think its best to remember that the term 'pest' is a construct of man - Animals in the natural order are not pests. Snakes are natural predators of rats, mice etc, lizards of insects etc. Remove those predators and its prey will thrive and grow in numbers.

As other posters have said - i'd avoid spraying potentially harmful chemicals around your living space as eventually it will get into you.

It's worth it if you get a good deal, Im living in a property near Maprachan on 1 Rai. I pay 7,500 baht / year. No Red ants to worry about when I wonder around the garden or Snakes for that matter. Be foolish to think there are no Snakes around, and even If I did see one id have no Idea if it was venemous or not.

Thanks for the responses. I am accustomed to snakes as I work in the Oman desert when I'm not relaxing at home in Samui. We just leave them to their own business, safer and easier. I don't personally have an issue with snakes and geckos .... it's only my wife who needs to be convinced to leave them alone.

I have since asked her to get a breakdown of the cost and service from the contractor ... they have split it into 6000 for termites, 6000 for rats and 6000 for snakes + vat.

After reading the above and a very helpful PM from a forum member, it think it is well worth treating for termites, but I have no idea what these people will do for rats and snakes and I don't think it is necessary.

I think these companies pray on the unknowing and try to create a problem in peoples minds when there isn't one, for financial gain.

So I have told my wife to cancel any orders and I will talk to them about the termites only for now. I will shop around too.

Thanks for the responses. I am accustomed to snakes as I work in the Oman desert when I'm not relaxing at home in Samui. We just leave them to their own business, safer and easier. I don't personally have an issue with snakes and geckos .... it's only my wife who needs to be convinced to leave them alone.

I have since asked her to get a breakdown of the cost and service from the contractor ... they have split it into 6000 for termites, 6000 for rats and 6000 for snakes + vat.

After reading the above and a very helpful PM from a forum member, it think it is well worth treating for termites, but I have no idea what these people will do for rats and snakes and I don't think it is necessary.

I think these companies pray on the unknowing and try to create a problem in peoples minds when there isn't one, for financial gain.

So I have told my wife to cancel any orders and I will talk to them about the termites only for now. I will shop around too.

there is another post in this forum regarding termites and ants,i have posted on there what we have done.

as for snakes and rats.if you have drains on your property[like ours on a moo-ban] just put some rat killer down them,

if you have pets just keep a look out for the body's.we have had our fair share of snakes but all harmless,you can soon get to know what ones to stear clear off. google snakes in Thailand.cost of once a yr.treatment under the house 2,000bht.and get what I sugest in the other thread.

The only rats we get around our house are the Tree rats,

every rainy season they make their way into our roof,to

get out of the rain i suppose, we deal with them by putting

those glue pads with a few peanuts on, up in the roof,

caught 2 just yesterday,theres no real way to keep them

out as they will always find a way in.

And spraying for rats and snakes is just a con,would not work.

regards Worgeordie

Rats... easy wire cage from any Village hardware store = 40 baht had some of mine many years.. just need a scrap of food and set it...

Snakes and Alligator.... just Phone [or get someone to phone] workers come out from the Town Hall/Council = FREE [used many times in over 10 years]..

Termites.... buy your own liquid and spray yourself .........

1st 3 years after house was build used to have these people come 6 x a year, appeared to make no difference to the Termites. they eat both hard and sort wood..... now have lots of Lizards, Frogs, Birds.. + few unwanted things but the dogs start barking when they go out so can go and see....... we have had a fair few Cobra's in the Village, but far more big Alligator and a few Moniter's ? [much thinner pointed face]

Don't put down my serious answers.........

-get one larger dog who will keep snakes out, little ones in a 3 pack may be able to handle this.

-go out where u saw the snake and call out loudly, English is ok, "All snakes, listen up. I live here now and will never bother you and please do not bother us. Thank you very much." I did this outside my Fla home and saw one snake in ten years way out in the pine woods. No kidding, but then I am a shaman. The situation is much like doing deals with unions.

-Plant some marigolds to stink out most bugs outside.

-Someone should spray all around you for blocks for dengue mosquitos. Season is arriving.

-Houses must have floors drilled and poison injected under for termites. Mandatory and no easier way.

-Tell wife all is under control, but she may want to do the snake announcement too. Tell her to be firm but polite.

Go to Homepro and buy the chemicals and equipment yourself, total cost less than 2k baht.

20k per year, gotta love this country.

there is another post in this forum regarding termites and ants,i have posted on there what we have done.

as for snakes and rats.if you have drains on your property[like ours on a moo-ban] just put some rat killer down them,

if you have pets just keep a look out for the body's.we have had our fair share of snakes but all harmless,you can soon get to know what ones to stear clear off. google snakes in Thailand.cost of once a yr.treatment under the house 2,000bht.and get what I sugest in the other thread.

snakes in our garden all harmless,cancel that I have[1hr.ago] had to administer the last rites to one of the most dangerous snakes in Thailand a russels viper also known as a chain viper.sorry but my dog and wife are more important if you invade HER property.

• We use a company called Advance who operate all around Thailand for termite control. Our cost is around 6,000 THB a year for each of our residences. I'm led to believe this is a discounted price from 7,000 THB per residence.

They visit each residence 4 times a year and always contact us a week or so in advance of their proposed visit (dates can be rescheduled). Since employing them, we've never had a problem from termites. Even when every neighbour at one residence had issues over a period of 6 months.

Not aware of any chemicals that deter snakes, but have never had a real problem with them. If you're not an absolute expert, it's wise to categorise them all as deadly rather than the converse. Snakes don't clean their teeth (fangs) and a bite from a non-venomous snake can give you a serious infection. If they're making an effort to go away, I generally let them get on with it. If they're wanting to stay where they are, I generally help them do that also.

Jerry

I'm not too much a fan of killing everything in sight. Agree with many of the other posters regarding snakes. Keep out of their way and all will be fine, generally they are more afraid of you, than you are of them. Gecko's, Tokays I love them, they eat things, thats good. Takabs, well I find the 'swift downward heel' solution to be the best. The only thing I do resort to chemicals with, goddam ants. I'm not just talking about the big black biting kind, but the annoying little black 'uns which seem to love invading my kitchen.

So after my critter rant...No don't pay the money

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do it,whats all this paranoia about snakes, too many posts on ThaiVisa about

people wanting to kill them,and the sad thing is 99% you see will be harmless,25 years

living here,I have seen many snakes in the garden,but not one Cobra,Kriat.

20,000 bht, that will be upfront,they will promise you the earth and not deliver,if you

want to spray for termites you can do that yourself,but keep the dogs inside for

a day or two after.

regards Worgeordie

There was one guy who was so proud that he killed all snakes in his place an around, because snakes must die.....

Estimate 6 month later he posted that he has big problems with rats and mouse everywhere.

If we had a snake in the previous house, we called the motorbike taxis. They had one guy who could catch every kind of snake and promised to release it at some big place at a temple (it was allowed, he didn't just put snakes at the monks garden).