Anyone extended drivers licence recently ?

Beng

re

However, what is new is a mandatory one hour view of a safety tape and therefore one can no longer just walk in and have the extension done. The office has some predefined slots for that.

hes right !

i picked this list up from the chiang mai hang dong road licence office this afternoon after asking about renewing my car and bike 5 year licences

the little lovely on reception looked at me with a smile and said

its ok mister you dont need to do a medical

and crossed it out !

this was ten minits after id seen my doctor who said i was in quite good shape for my age after an ecg on my heart at ram last week :)

did the little lovely see more than the doctor at ram ?

just joshin

dave2

ps .... the queues for driving tests are way down on what they were last week !

post-42592-0-84791900-1402053683_thumb.j

post-42592-0-38698800-1402054305_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

re

I removed a post and the replies to it advocating an illegal activity.

they wouldnt smile.png

just joshin

dave2

An interesting rogue's gallery there. Wouldn't the driving license centre check the foreign driving license with the issuing country before they handed out a Thai one?

re

I removed a post and the replies to it advocating an illegal activity.

they wouldnt smile.png

just joshin

dave2

An interesting rogue's gallery there. Wouldn't the driving license centre check the foreign driving license with the issuing country before they handed out a Thai one?

No. I obtained my Thai driving licence last year using an International Drivers Permit that was issued in the UK. I need to renew it next month.

Alan

• Like 1

It has been answered.

The answer (again) is no written test required for 5 year extension. Just have to sit through a painful 60 minute video, test your colour blindness, reaction test, done.

The hardest part is going to the counter 300 times then sitting down again, repeat, etc.

It has been answered.

The answer (again) is no written test required for 5 year extension. Just have to sit through a painful 60 minute video, test your colour blindness, reaction test, done.

The hardest part is going to the counter 300 times then sitting down again, repeat, etc.

Got my 5 year extensions today (car and bike) - no video, reaction or colour blind test.

Long wait-my fault as I turned up just before lunch and all 8 stations were vacant for 15 mins from 12 noon. Then 2 active at 12.15 and 2 more by 12.40-ish at a guess.

Painless, and even less so if I had thought to take the Kindle.

It has been answered.

Got my 5 year extensions today (car and bike) - no video, reaction or colour blind test.

Long wait-my fault as I turned up just before lunch and all 8 stations were vacant for 15 mins from 12 noon. Then 2 active at 12.15 and 2 more by 12.40-ish at a guess.

Painless, and even less so if I had thought to take the Kindle.

Well lucky you then. 2 months ago we had to sit through the video, etc. Good to see Thailand as consistent as usual.

• 3 months later...

How about the medical requirements, can I still pop into Glymor Hospital and get a certificate on the way?

As far as I know that hospital still gives you a medical clearance for drivers licence.

Last time I used it the fee was 50 Baht, but it might have gone up like everything else.

You will need to show your passport to the hospital.

Recent reports reveal that the Department of Land Transportation no longer requires a medical certificate. More than a year ago, I did not need one. If you are nervous, it is cheap and easy. Anyway, it does seem that for some time the office has had its act together and getting a license is quite painless.

Recent reports reveal that the Department of Land Transportation no longer requires a medical certificate. More than a year ago, I did not need one. If you are nervous, it is cheap and easy. Anyway, it does seem that for some time the office has had its act together and getting a license is quite painless.

Thanks for the update, my last licence renewal was almost 4 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Could anyone confirm what the window of time is to renew the 5 year license? Is it 30 days before or after the expiration date? Obviously I'll go before to be safe.

Medical certificate not necessary?

Residence Certificate from the office near the Promenada - allow 10 days to get it from the day you apply? And good for 30 days? What documents are needed besides passport, visa copies, etc. and copy of rental contract to get the residence certificate? A passport-type photo?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by elektrified

Renewed mine without a medical certificate after receiving that advice from the young lady on the front desk.She gave me the printed list of requirements and put her pen through medical certificate.Worth paying a visit and getting the list to be sure things have not changed

Colour blind test and 1 hour sitting in front of a computer, which explained to me how to drive in Thailandlaugh.png then processed.As my 5 yr licence had expired a few days before I got 6 years on the new one as it automatically forwarded to the next birthday.I don't think i am the only one to receive this little bonus.

Renewed mine without a medical certificate after receiving that advice from the young lady on the front desk.She gave me the printed list of requirements and put her pen through medical certificate.Worth paying a visit and getting the list to be sure things have not changed

Colour blind test and 1 hour sitting in front of a computer, which explained to me how to drive in Thailandlaugh.png then processed.As my 5 yr licence had expired a few days before I got 6 years on the new one as it automatically forwarded to the next birthday.I don't think i am the only one to receive this little bonus.

An image of the list is posted above in post #61 (courtesy of dave2).

So, Sparkles since my expiration date falls on my birthday which is the 3rd week of next month, are you saying that I should wait until the day after my birthday/date of expiration of my licenses to go in and end up with 6 years as opposed to 5???

So, Sparkles since my expiration date falls on my birthday which is the 3rd week of next month, are you saying that I should wait until the day after my birthday/date of expiration of my licenses to go in and end up with 6 years as opposed to 5???

My last two renewals I went 1 or 2 days after my birthday and I got 6 years minus 1 or 2 days. Will have to do mine at the end of December this year so glad for the updated info here.

//edit - Dave's scan shows up to 90 days before expiring it can be applied for. The last time I did it it was 45 days before.

• 4 weeks later...

My last two renewals I went 1 or 2 days after my birthday and I got 6 years minus 1 or 2 days. Will have to do mine at the end of December this year so glad for the updated info here.

//edit - Dave's scan shows up to 90 days before expiring it can be applied for. The last time I did it it was 45 days before.

Apologies for late reply.The reason I did mine late was the young girl on the front desk, when I enquired about the current rules, did say you can renew up to 6 months late. TIT. Unlicensed for 6 mths is ok providing you have old expired licence. So I did and got the extra year. I had heard about this rumour before and took advantage of the situation. Having said that I don't expect this loop hole to last forever if they get their computer system sorted out so no guarantees.I did not get medical certificate as the same girl said no need.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through all the replies to this topic and as I have to renew my 5 year car driving licence in the next few days I have all the necessary paper work but do I need a medical certificate from a hospital? The replies were not clear and that is why I ask now.Thanks for any sensible answers.

Just read through all the replies to this topic and as I have to renew my 5 year car driving licence in the next few days I have all the necessary paper work but do I need a medical certificate from a hospital? The replies were not clear and that is why I ask now.Thanks for any sensible answers.

No medical certificate required as of Monday. Bring a book.wink.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...