Anyone extended drivers licence recently ?

Beng

the wife says it will now be mandatory to take 12 hours of classroom instruction (2 X 6 hours) before you can get a license.

How about having one already just need an extension ?

the wife says it will now be mandatory to take 12 hours of classroom instruction (2 X 6 hours) before you can get a license.

There is no such thing as an extension for a Thai driver license. You apply for a get a new DL. 1 year to 5 year dl or a 5 year dl to another 5 year dl. At each renewal you will be required to take the testing procedures.

There is no such thing as an extension for a Thai driver license. You apply for a get a new DL. 1 year to 5 year dl or a 5 year dl to another 5 year dl. At each renewal you will be required to take the testing procedures.

A renewal has never required the same tests as the first license.

I think everyone is apprehensive about renewals, after 5 year expiration. It was stated recently new rules would be in place for licencing but as usual the media release wording was delightfully vague on detail.

We just need someone to go through the process and report .......................not a friend/wife/girlfriend told me etc.

• Like 2

By all indication it does now.wink.png Someone please prove me wrong.biggrin.png

Edited by khwaibah

Correct !!! you were supposed to do eye and reaction test only.

But as mentioned above, someone who did a renewel recently please clarify.

• Like 1

Correct !!! you were supposed to do eye and reaction test only.

But as mentioned above, someone who did a renewel recently please clarify.

Just have to wait for a report. I imagine (hope) the original vague report was wrong.

By all indication it does now.wink.png Someone please prove me wrong.biggrin.png

You prove yourself right

• Like 1

I got my first licences a month ago, longest day of my life.

The computer test was a joke. I had an hour before they opened in the afternoon.

So I played on their test machine,went through the questions twice and looked at every road sign on the posters.

When it came to the test, it was all very formal, I had one hour.

30 questions, two repeated themselves, one question came up 4 times but the correct answer was not on the 4 options.the first time..oh dear.

Fortunately it was there the next 3 times.

Every question I had already answered over the two test runs I did.

Finished the test in 7 minutes going carefully, and got 29/30 top of the class eh!

it was a joke;, I have not seen a highway code since 1980 yet a fifteen minute play on their machine gave me a maximum....bar the question without the correct option.

I would say guys, you don't need to worry about the test if you have the western driving standard and an ounce of intelligence.

I predict in 5yrs only farangs on the road......wouldn't that be nice?

Renewed my 5 years licenses ( motorbike and car) on 22 May 2014 in Chiangmai.

I had to watch a video in English language on a computer and they checked my vision only for color blind test.( This was done in a group on 30 people)

Then I had to wait 1 hour to pay the fees and get the picture taken.( a lot of Thai there to get their license before 1st of June.)

Naturally you need the Immigration or Embassy address confirmation letter and the usual photocopies....

Very simple process.

Maybe someone renewed after 1st of June and can comment about any change....

• Like 1

This doesn't answer the question as the article refers to aplicants. How about people renewing/extending theirs ??

Those renewing their licences will have to take the extra written tests, but the rest will be the same as prior to the amendments.

In answer to another poster`s question, yes there is an English version of the tests.

This doesn't answer the question as the article refers to aplicants. How about people renewing/extending theirs ??

Those renewing their licences will have to take the extra written tests, but the rest will be the same as prior to the amendments.

In answer to another poster`s question, yes there is an English version of the tests.

That I believe is still in question about a written test for renewal. My understanding is a two hour course is what is additional now based on other reports in Thaivisa News.

If it helps....I renewed an expired "Temporary Licence" 2 weeks ago and from my passport numbers, she knew exactly what licences I have had in the past (even gave me a printout) and all I had was "Red, Green, Orange" test....job done.

The woman on the right hand side of the long counter, upstairs in the transport office (who is always there and speaks great English) is really helpful.

• Like 1

That I believe is still in question about a written test for renewal. My understanding is a two hour course is what is additional now based on other reports in Thaivisa News.

A week ago a Thai friend visited the Hang Dong license and test centre to renew his 5 year motorbike license. He said that the only changes since the last time is that there were more questions to answer in the written test but everything else was the same as before.

But as we know this is Thailand, and everyone`s experiences can vary according to the mood of the officers and I guess probably there is still some confusion as to how to carry out these new procedures and it will be a while before they become organised. So as you say; at the moment a lot of this is still in question, but I can only answer on what I have been told but wouldn`t like to place money on this either way.

Perhaps for the time being it`s a case of just turn up and see what happens?

Renewed both my 5 year licences, car and motorcycle, in Nong Bua Lam Phu last week.

After completing the forms, (quite simple - name here, sign here) I was asked to present my Tabien Baan (yellow of course).

Complete the colour test (traffic lights only, red, yellow green), complete the reaction test (accelerator, brake, green light, red light).

Donate 980 Bht to whichever charity was popular on the day (I'm not going into double pricing here but saw locals hand over 120 Bht and 240 Bht).

Sit in front of the camera and received both licences in less than 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1