Curfew enforcement getting more repressive

WinnieTheKhwai

A very simplistic approach, which has served me well over 60 years, is to obey the law of my host country. When that conflicts with my personal agenda, I can move on.

• Like 2

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a flight booked to Bangkok in July, and if this petty nonsense is still going on then, it will be to connect to pastures new I think.

you're going to leave the country over a 4 hour curfew??? why not just stock your fridge? want a drink after midnight? problem solved.

No, I'm just not going to stop in it. I prefer to go to a place where I might have a better chance of being treated as both a paying guest and a responsible adult.

Bye bye...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a flight booked to Bangkok in July, and if this petty nonsense is still going on then, it will be to connect to pastures new I think.

you're going to leave the country over a 4 hour curfew??? why not just stock your fridge? want a drink after midnight? problem solved.

No, I'm just not going to stop in it. I prefer to go to a place where I might have a better chance of being treated as both a paying guest and a responsible adult.

Bye bye...

Bye bye...

Sorry to see you go. Best wishes wherever your travels take you.

Peace.

While I can and do agree with most of what you say, I think I would also add.......the coup did not happen while they were in the air.....its already a week or two old. I am sure most would be aware of that fact before they departed. Common sense should dictate that things just may not all be operating as normally would be

That's completely true. Note though that what I wrote was in response to claims that nobody should even feel impacted in any way, and the ones that do are either troublemakers or notorious barstool misfits. (i.e. the Hellodolly train of thought)

So I was mostly writing this as an example of people being impacted. And I do not know if they felt bad or good because of it, or if they feel a coup is for the greater good, or any other political meanderings. It just means that many potential visitors will change their plans because of this, and the ones that still come over are indeed impacted in some ways. I have no reason to believe they had a problem with that, or that they expected otherwise.

And yes, a forceful drive away from a system that kept the Red Menace in government will be ultimately be good for tourism, Thailand's competitiveness in general in the medium term, and for anyone with some money to spend.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think the military is doing a very good job. Yes the entire situation does have an effect on my business.......and not a positive effect. but I am in agreement with the need to do it. ....... and I am not going to put myself in the position of thinking I know better than the entire brain trust that is running the show. Its obvious that those blowing smoke are only spewing because their own ox is being gored....

Stay home with your family,..... go to a movie..... attend some sporting event....... there are plenty of things to do , even as a family on holiday, that can get you back in before curfew. Stop being so selfish and self centered because you can't sit around on a bar stool half the night. {and you can for half the night}

To those bitching..... you say you love Thailand,.... well prove it...... give up a little..... give the cause a chance to work....... again give a little even if you don't like it..... it will only be for a short time....

You have adopted Thailand as you home country....... so remember what Kennedy said....... " Ask not what your country can do for you.... ask what ..................". to get along go along .... help.... and stop the self centered bitching.

G

Good stuff

Also remember what Thomas Paine said if there is to be war let it be in my time not my children's time. Or words to that affect

Actually I believe you are the only one who it is actually affecting other than the got to have a drink people on this thread. Even them Winnie said on another thread that they just closed the doors and carried on. You admit it affects your business and do not talk about other peoples business. Also admit it is a needed thing.

My hat is off to you sir.

I to can make up all kinds of scenes but that is all they are is made up in reality have nothing to do with the curfew. As I said earlier I understand people who were to work those hours. But if one reads the whole thread there is none of them making a statement here how it affects them just other people making up scenes for them to fit the the occasion.

Edited by northernjohn

Actually I believe you are the only one who it is actually affecting other than the got to have a drink people. Even them Winnie said on another thread that they just closed the doors and carried on.

Right, which was before the latest events that prompted me to start this topic. In the first week, things did carry on. But this week there is a change in tune where people are actually hauled off in those jail cage trucks. That's a significant change from the earlier situation, which prompted this topic to warn people to be home by midnight, or at least to be cautious.

Also remember what Thomas Paine said if there is to be war let it be in my time not my children's time. Or words to that affect

Let's hope not. Especially as Paine would be firmly in the Red camp.

Maybe the military has gotten wind of something in the works in Chiang Mai and it trying to prevent it. I was downtown Udon last night and except for the arrest of an American for murder everything seemed normal, no word of a crackdown. I haven't heard of any up in Nong Khai either. Nong Khai in particular has been very relaxed and I was there Monday night. Hope things stay that way here and they lighten up for guys over in Chiang Mai.

^^^^^outside t/v/ world,c/mai from all reports is travelling along fine,biggrin.png

one member is just stoking the fires,

I drove around Thapae gate just before midnight last night and from the gate the road was divided with loads of cones into three narrow lanes , there were 2 Humvees parked up and maybe fifty or so army and police patrolling the traffic. Having passed there a few times in the past week or so I would definitely say they were a lot more vigilant last night than they have been. I'd be very surprised if there is any easing of the curfew in Chiang Mai any time soon. It has been very relaxed so far, but last night felt different. I suspect they were expecting trouble.

It's quite noticeable that in a latest comment on easing curfew in tourist areas Chiang Mai still doesn't get a mention. World Cup at home, I'd say. See the BKK Post for the latest news on this.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

I thought the coup was supposed to stop this corruption wasn't that what it was all about?

biggrin.png Sure, just like the previous 17...or 18...I lost the count....

Amyway, if this is the real purpose, a country attitude and culture can't be changed in few days...not weeks or months...

It's a matter of generations. At least It would be nice to start with this purpose.

For now, It's better to stick to the rules and that's it.

Edited by max72

^^^^^outside t/v/ world,c/mai from all reports is travelling along fine,biggrin.png

I drove around Thapae gate just before midnight last night and from the gate the road was divided with loads of cones into three narrow lanes , there were 2 Humvees parked up and maybe fifty or so army and police patrolling the traffic. Having passed there a few times in the past week or so I would definitely say they were a lot more vigilant last night than they have been. I'd be very surprised if there is any easing of the curfew in Chiang Mai any time soon. It has been very relaxed so far, but last night felt different. I suspect they were expecting trouble.

It's quite noticeable that in a latest comment on easing curfew in tourist areas Chiang Mai still doesn't get a mention. World Cup at home, I'd say. See the BKK Post for the latest news on this.

Some how I think being the home of the Shinawatra clan and the supposed red shirt capital is not going to get the curfew lifted in faster than areas that are not red shirt strongholds.

Has any one any thing to report similar to chiangmaijoe only in a predominantly Thai area rather than a tourist area?

In reality Phuket and Pattaya could use the extra police and army on the streets more so than Chiang Mai. any time of the year and under any political system.

re

red shirt homeground

two things have happend in chiang mai since the coup

all the red flags , banners etc have dissapeared from all the tuk tuks , council trucks and songthews !

and the ambulances , fire trucks , emergency vehicles etc

are only using their sirens at busy places :)

not the constant wailing of sirens that they usually do for miles !

dave2

pic ... new graffiti

post-42592-0-94093700-1402100475_thumb.j

re

red shirt homeground

two things have happend in chiang mai since the coup

all the red flags , banners etc have dissapeared from all the tuk tuks , council trucks and songthews !

and the ambulances , fire trucks , emergency vehicles etc

are only using their sirens at busy places smile.png

not the constant wailing of sirens that they usually do for miles !

dave2

pic ... new graffiti

Clockwork orange meets stoned bushbaby

Something went down BIG TIME last night (after 12) near Shell gas station. Holy moley, it was a full on invasion. I didn't stick around to see what was going on, but they were in a hurry to get several trucks full of troops down a small soi. Someone had their bum handed to them, that much I'm sure of.

Some how I think being the home of the Shinawatra clan and the supposed red shirt capital is not going to get the curfew lifted in faster than areas that are not red shirt strongholds.

Has any one any thing to report similar to chiangmaijoe only in a predominantly Thai area rather than a tourist area?

In reality Phuket and Pattaya could use the extra police and army on the streets more so than Chiang Mai. any time of the year and under any political system.

Every city in issan aka the North East is going threw the same thing. Three of these cities Udon .Korat and Ubon have populations of over 250,000 each that's just for the city.There is nothing special about Chiang Mai.