Patong taxi mafia ‘will be targeted soon’ as part of Phuket crackdown

Lite Beer

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the corruption on both Phuket and Samui are so deep it will never happen, these guys always start wilth "i am going to do this and that..blah blah blah"jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif ...and they always end up more corrupt than the last parasite

radical and serious mass arrests with serious prison time and confiscation of ALL FAMILY ASSETS (that can be linked by serious on going investigation) is the only way and a bullet in the head of course after prison that is

And can they sort out the taxi drivers at Hua Lamphong train station that refuse to use their meters. I've even heard other taxi drivers complaining about it. Really needs sorting out.

Edited by davejones23
  • Like 1

And can they sort out the taxi drivers at Hua Lamphong train station that refuse to use their meters. I've even heard other taxi drivers complaining about it. Really needs sorting out.

Very simple, get out the taxi like people I know or read on this forum, if they refused to flag the meter down. There are others who are willing to flag the meter. If everyone does take this action whenever it happens, very soon such taxis will have no customers.

• Like 2

Perhaps they can do the aiport next where similar problems have existed in the past and fees still remain twice as much as Bangkok. 750 Baht to Kamala is extortionate.

It is of course possible that the reason for high prices FROM the airport is that they are unable to find rides OUT to the airport because of the corruption. We have been told by taxi drivers if they collected us from our hotel in Karon to the airport they could get a bullet in the head. They run out there empty. Most of the drivers waiting at the airport are not part of the corruption.

If they want to hit this group where it hurts, forcefully introduce meter taxis island wide, driven by tourist-friendly cops or soldiers, at the same rate as a BKK taxi, but higher pickup charge due to shorter distances. Hundreds of taxis, millions of taxis, every fughing colour of taxis

Very simple, get out the taxi like people I know or read on this forum, if they refused to flag the meter down. There are others who are willing to flag the meter. If everyone does take this action whenever it happens, very soon such taxis will have no customers.

Always ask "meter" before you get in ,saves a lot of messing around.

No get in before you tell them to turn the meter on.

Perhaps they can do the aiport next where similar problems have existed in the past and fees still remain twice as much as Bangkok. 750 Baht to Kamala is extortionate.

Corruption at the airport should be eliminated as soon as possible because it is a shame that tourist are victims at their first meeting upon arrival.

This was my point in yesterdays post ... When we going to get to Patong ??

The problem would be , if done properly , there simply wouldn't be a Taxi , Tuk Tuk , Motor Bike Taxi ..left .

Its all a giant swindle in Patong , and the way they go about their business is horrendous .

Walk the Strip from Patong ..Kata Beach 200 barht ? ( still a rip off ) ..No , No , No ..Then after walking around the Corner

up comes the next in Line ..Get in ..Get in ... Same in the Taxi's .

Yet alone the poor Tourist , who jumps in ( 5 of them ) , then driver says the fee is per person . All this stuff , just shouldn't

be happening ..Argue the Valid Fare , and then things really get nasty .

Just avoid the whole lot of them .

Why farangs on this island hold together and open there own taxi company's?

I did not found and collecting taxi from beach to other beach

When everyone sit alone in the car everybody pay high price

Now are many taxi apps avalible

Everybody can drive a car can join, it not must be a taxi it can be every car

Every driver can enter in the app

Where and when he drive, and iPhone locate over GPS the nearest one!

In Europe this system works well!

• Like 1

It is of course possible that the reason for high prices FROM the airport is that they are unable to find rides OUT to the airport because of the corruption. We have been told by taxi drivers if they collected us from our hotel in Karon to the airport they could get a bullet in the head. They run out there empty. Most of the drivers waiting at the airport are not part of the corruption.

THAT'S ALL VERY TRUE!

No get in before you tell them to turn the meter on.

Works well in Bangkok no doubt , always use this principle , Often takes 2 - 3 Cabs but thats fine .

Not always as easy in Phuket , airport is okey if catching cab , will go from Meter .

What about the Mini bus Scam desk before you get out ? 400 Barht at the desk .. 150 Barht outside the Door .

This is the Image a first time Tourist see's as they leave the Airport . Not a good honest welcome .

Respect for Gen. Paween. It shows that there are any good police around too that aim to do there job honestly and just.

Looking at his picture he looks honest and straight forward to me.

I hope he has back up from the highest army General and will be able to carry on his good work. If General Paween succeeds he will be the hero of many tourists, locals, expatriates, business man, hotels and many others. Only the maffia does not like him bit they are a minority and will be in jail.

Congratulations General Paween, please keep going. And on behalf of many: THANK YOU !!!

Couldn't Agree more ..Wishing you Well General Paween .

But , Im sure you know ..It aint going to be easy , this is deep rooted corruption .

• Like 2

Nahhh. I prefer the old Thailand. A land of simple pleasures, cheaply obtained, and minor annoyances such as the 'mafia'. If things keep going the way they are going in a decade there will be swipe card readers on the beach, ID checks at every corner, and people saying "have a nice day". The 'mafia' are bugging you? Suck it up. No handmaidens please. I prefer life gritty.

This seems to be the first occation, in a very long time, when other parts of the Thailand wish to copy something from Phuket to their environments.

For others: Sorry, but we might be a bit selfish with these guys and will keep them here for a while before we let them to visit to other locations :)

Perhaps they can do the aiport next where similar problems have existed in the past and fees still remain twice as much as Bangkok. 750 Baht to Kamala is extor

Even the metered cabs are more expensive in Phuket and Samui than BKK. Do the taxis in Phuket and Samui run on gas as the ones in BKK do. As far as I am aware they do not which is part of the reason for price differences.

This military coups seems to be different than the one ousting of Taksin. I came here in 07. After a few years here I thought that the only thing that could save Thailand was a dictator who loved his country more than enriching himself. I was amazed how little respect the people in public service and the people involved in tourism had, for the public image of their country.