UK Passport Renewal Returned - No Passport! Help please

Just had the postie round who asked me to sign for a package. I recognised the EMS slip affixed by my local PO, and thought, yipee, passport back. I'd sent my application with all the docs and banker's cheque to HMPO Marsham Street London on 26th April. Everything sent back, including cheque, but no passport?!

I've just tried to call the number given on another thread - +44 300222000, the poster had helpfully also given times of opening, 7 days per week UK time. I get the 'mai mii mail lek' thing, and on retry the call cuts off straight away.

I'd sent everything to London HMPO with a covering letter explaining why I was unable to travel to Bangkok (accident).

There's NO covering letter from them, they've had this over a month, now current passport's expired. What to do? Thanks.

Edited by jpeg

You would have been on overstay anyway since any permission to stay would have not been for longer than the validity of the passport. Thus you would have been stuffed anyway.

Looks like you will have to go to Bangkok now.

If you can't move, you could try power of attorney or if you are in hospital, ask them to help out.

There are errors on how applied.

The address you sent it to is wrong.

You can only pay by credit/debit card.

You could of applied for an emergency travel document before your passport expired to prevent being on an overstay.

You have used completely the wrong application process and then dialed the wrong Helpline number, it is actually +44 (0) 300 222 0000.

If you are based in Thailand, then unfortunately the only way to apply to renew your UK Passport is as outlined in the HMPO Website linked below.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Good luck, the process is currently taking around 7-8 weeks+.

Edited by digitalchromakey

My passport finally arrived this week after an eleven week stressful wait.

Three times I had to call the HMPO who failed every time to fulfill their promise to call me back within 72 hours with a progress report.

After my current passport finally ran out, I contacted my constituency MP back in the UK, who contacted the HMPO on my behalf.

Within a few days I had a mail from the HMPO stating that my passport had been issued and that it would arrive within 15 days. A week later it arrived to my address, despite the HMPO's insistence that I would have to go to Bangkok to collect it in person.

When I made my application, the stated turnaround time was four weeks. The HMPO site now says six weeks, but be warned!

• Like 1

You could of applied for an emergency travel document before your passport expired to prevent being on an overstay.

Yes I am very well aware of the 'overstay', having lived here 18 years and could do without the usual finger wagging by certain members on this forum.

You are able to pay by banker's cheque/draft, as has been done by many other posters. I'd gone to my once helpful Bank, SCB, to update my postal code. They then told me I wouldn't be able to use my debit card online and no, couldn't issue a banker's draft either. Undaunted, I popped next door to the usually very helpful Bank Of Ayudhya who promptly issued me an HSBC banker's cheque, paid for, of course, on the spot, which I now have back in my possession.

This was simply a case of very bad timing. First Songkran, followed by the usual slew of public holidays immediately after it THEN the fiasco with the sourcing out to some outfit, Trendy, and no responses to emails. Swiftly followed by my landing heavily on my plantar fascia rendering me immobile. I am not in a hospital, the only remedy is not to walk on it. For months now.

After removing some of the stickers on the returned package, I see it was returned via Parcel Force with boxes 'refused' and 'incorrect/insufficient address' marked, together with 'Need contact name' scribbled in English in Biro at the foot of it.

I'd sent the package to HM Passport Office, 2 Marsham Street, London, UK. How the hell are we to know to WHOM exactly, to address it? I would've thought they'd have opened it and forwarded to the correct department themselves. They are, after all, the bloody passport head office. But it appears some officious idle job'sworth just threw it back in the 'return to sender bin' angry.png

As to the sole sympathetic poster advising to contact my MP, thanks, but after 18 years out of the place I don't have one. Has anyone on this forum had any luck at all with the number given? Thank you for your time.

Edited by jpeg

You have used completely the wrong application process and then dialed the wrong Helpline number, it is actually +44 (0) 300 222 0000.

If you are based in Thailand, then unfortunately the only way to apply to renew your UK Passport is as outlined in the HMPO Website linked below.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Good luck, the process is currently taking around 7-8 weeks+.

Apologies for my missing '0', but having checked my 'phone, the number you've given in your post, IS the number I had NO response from.

And yes, I'm aware of all the information given in your link which couldn't be adhered to for the reasons already given. The bloody HMPO has now made a bad situation worse.

Anyone managed to actually talk to a live human being at HMPO to rant at talk to? Loathe to send off again and still unable to walk. What a bloody palaver.

The passport application renewal procedure for British expats in Thailand is very messy for those not living close to Bangkok, and for those living in the North of Thailand the travel distance is far and the cost expensive and this has to be done twice, in and out of Bangkok.

Therefore complains have to be send to HMPO, to current MP's, to British newspapers, and even to

10. Downing Street, in order to get hose messy passport renewal system altered.

British expats in other Asian countries close to Thailand are able to renew their passport via postage that was also the case in Thailand via Hong Kong, and then via Liverpool, but now the Brits in Thailand have this messy application procedure and it should be altered.

• Like 1

One extra quirk worthy of note is that once in possession of my new passport, I had to get the HMPO to send a certificate validating that they had indeed issued the passport themselves before immigration would transfer my visa to the new passport.

This can be an email, and can be arranged by the same individual that will contact you to notify that your passport has been issued.

not only hmpo but the visa (vfs or gws )are also very misleading .its no use to complain here but to write to your local uk mp and complain in a polite but strong way.he is obliged to refer your complaint to the respective minister.failure to do so needs then to take him to account.the more that complain officially the better the chance of real change.

not only hmpo but the visa (vfs or gws )are also very misleading .its no use to complain here but to write to your local uk mp and complain in a polite but strong way.he is obliged to refer your complaint to the respective minister.failure to do so needs then to take him to account.the more that complain officially the better the chance of real change.

The info maybe misleading but the OP never read the misleading info as if he had read it , one assumes he wouldn't have sent his application to London would he.?.... The op is trying to blame everyone except himself

• Like 1

The passport application renewal procedure for British expats in Thailand is very messy for those not living close to Bangkok, and for those living in the North of Thailand the travel distance is far and the cost expensive and this has to be done twice, in and out of Bangkok.

Therefore complains have to be send to HMPO, to current MP's, to British newspapers, and even to

British expats in other Asian countries close to Thailand are able to renew their passport via postage that was also the case in Thailand via Hong Kong, and then via Liverpool, but now the Brits in Thailand have this messy application procedure and it should be altered.

I renewed my UK passport via HK in 2012. The turnaround time was 2 weeks! Impressive, but as a very frequent traveler who'd filled his old one up after a couple of years I appreciated that service. My daughters renewal in 2013 took 4 weeks. Not urgently requires so again a good service. Both applications sent to HK via DHL and new passports sent direct to my house from UK.

I understand the new procedure but haven't used it yet. Presumably, they have put in these extra steps as we need to keep our original passports here?

Posters now say waits of 11 weeks, a 7-8 week turn around. These are simply unacceptable and I agree with you, the more who complain the better. But, as I haven't use the new system yet, I have no feel for where the problem lies. Your post eludes to the issue being with the people who process the application and the handing over of the new passport in Thailand? Would that be correct? If so do you have any experience or comments as to which part of the process is causing the delay?

I have to renew my son's UK passport early next year.

I renewed my UK passport via HK in 2012. The turnaround time was 2 weeks! Impressive, but as a very frequent traveler who'd filled his old one up after a couple of years I appreciated that service. My daughters renewal in 2013 took 4 weeks. Not urgently requires so again a good service. Both applications sent to HK via DHL and new passports sent direct to my house from UK.

I understand the new procedure but haven't used it yet. Presumably, they have put in these extra steps as we need to keep our original passports here?

Posters now say waits of 11 weeks, a 7-8 week turn around. These are simply unacceptable and I agree with you, the more who complain the better. But, as I haven't use the new system yet, I have no feel for where the problem lies. Your post eludes to the issue being with the people who process the application and the handing over of the new passport in Thailand? Would that be correct? If so do you have any experience or comments as to which part of the process is causing the delay?

I have to renew my son's UK passport early next year.

If you want to get a feel for how the new system works then have a look at this very, very, long thread (link below) that has ben running since March 26th on how the UK Passport application process now works in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/page-55

HMPO have as of the 4th of June now backed off from their previous instance on 2x personal appearances in BKK to apply/collect but are still running at a 7-8 week turnaround for renewals. sad.png

Yes I am very well aware of the 'overstay', having lived here 18 years and could do without the usual finger wagging by certain members on this forum.

You are able to pay by banker's cheque/draft, as has been done by many other posters. I'd gone to my once helpful Bank, SCB, to update my postal code. They then told me I wouldn't be able to use my debit card online and no, couldn't issue a banker's draft either. Undaunted, I popped next door to the usually very helpful Bank Of Ayudhya who promptly issued me an HSBC banker's cheque, paid for, of course, on the spot, which I now have back in my possession.

This was simply a case of very bad timing. First Songkran, followed by the usual slew of public holidays immediately after it THEN the fiasco with the sourcing out to some outfit, Trendy, and no responses to emails. Swiftly followed by my landing heavily on my plantar fascia rendering me immobile. I am not in a hospital, the only remedy is not to walk on it. For months now.

After removing some of the stickers on the returned package, I see it was returned via Parcel Force with boxes 'refused' and 'incorrect/insufficient address' marked, together with 'Need contact name' scribbled in English in Biro at the foot of it.

I'd sent the package to HM Passport Office, 2 Marsham Street, London, UK. How the hell are we to know to WHOM exactly, to address it? I would've thought they'd have opened it and forwarded to the correct department themselves. They are, after all, the bloody passport head office. But it appears some officious idle job'sworth just threw it back in the 'return to sender bin' angry.png

As to the sole sympathetic poster advising to contact my MP, thanks, but after 18 years out of the place I don't have one. Has anyone on this forum had any luck at all with the number given? Thank you for your time.

Hold on a minute, your ranting and blaming everyone else, its actually your fault in the first instance, you sent it to the wrong place.

At no time have passport renewals ever been sent to London, so you never did your due diligence did you ?, so them sending back to you is correct process

If you need a passport you need to get a temp passport, from the BE, which is in BKK on wireless road, just in case you decide to go the British council and then start ranting again they wouldn't give you a temp pp

No, YOU 'hold on a moment'. When I found I was unable to go to Bangkok (did you even bother to read my post?), I looked up HMPO UK and this was the only address given. The UK is relatively small and postal service reliable. It would make sense to even a censorious halfwit that any package to a UK Government Agency would be opened and redirected. Right? Not returned half way around the bloody world without checking the contents first. So enough with the 'blaming everyone but myself', supercilious ****.

I have this morning made a complaint via a link for such purposes and added a cc to who would have been my local MP.

I might add, that if I can personally deal with local governors/prosecutors/public attorneys AND the Attorney General in Bangkok, I can damn well deal with these inept idle minor civil servants who are paid to help we British citizens, not make life as difficult as possible through the type of arrogance seen on this thread.

I, like many others, dislike having to reluctantly resort to asking advice on this forum, given the condescension and vilification by certain bitter resident posters, not to mention a lot of erroneous 'advice' and wish I hadn't bothered this time. I won't, like many others, make that mistake again. As to the rest of you, I would suggest you take the less petulant posters' advice and write/mail your local MP.

Good day.

Hmm..

Visited UK embassy Chiang Mai this week.

I was told to colour photocopy my passport (all pages) and mail to Bangkok along with supporting doc's.

Emailed HMPO & Bangkok HMPO - naturally, HMPO didn't bother to respond. Bangkok HMPO said:

"For information about supporting document please see the attach file.

You have to color photocopies of every page of your current passport and sign every pages."

I've just sent another email to confirm that it is OK to mail documents. See what happenssad.png

Hold on a minute, your ranting and blaming everyone else, its actually your fault in the first instance, you sent it to the wrong place.

At no time have passport renewals ever been sent to London, so you never did your due diligence did you ?, so them sending back to you is correct process

If you need a passport you need to get a temp passport, from the BE, which is in BKK on wireless road, just in case you decide to go the British council and then start ranting again they wouldn't give you a temp pp

No, YOU 'hold on a moment'. When I found I was unable to go to Bangkok (did you even bother to read my post?), I looked up HMPO UK and this was the only address given. The UK is relatively small and postal service reliable. It would make sense to even a censorious halfwit that any package to a UK Government Agency would be opened and redirected. Right? Not returned half way around the bloody world without checking the contents first. So enough with the 'blaming everyone but myself', supercilious ****.

I have this morning made a complaint via a link for such purposes and added a cc to who would have been my local MP.

I might add, that if I can personally deal with local governors/prosecutors/public attorneys AND the Attorney General in Bangkok, I can damn well deal with these inept idle minor civil servants who are paid to help we British citizens, not make life as difficult as possible through the type of arrogance seen on this thread.

I, like many others, dislike having to reluctantly resort to asking advice on this forum, given the condescension and vilification by certain bitter resident posters, not to mention a lot of erroneous 'advice' and wish I hadn't bothered this time. I won't, like many others, make that mistake again. As to the rest of you, I would suggest you take the less petulant posters' advice and write/mail your local MP.

Good day.

if you had gone on the web and looked up UK overseas passport renewal or even gone to the British Embassy Website, in both cases you would have been directed to the correct web portal for overseas passport applications.

You may well be able to personally deal with civil servants, but you do need to go to the right place first.

The advice you have been given to date is generally good advice, it's up to you whether you accept it or not.

Perhaps if you would like to have a valid passport again, it would help to just calm down a minute and do some research as regards the advice you have been given..

Please start here if you actually want to get a passport https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult.

• Like 2

Hmm..

Visited UK embassy Chiang Mai this week.

I was told to colour photocopy my passport (all pages) and mail to Bangkok along with supporting doc's.

Emailed HMPO & Bangkok HMPO - naturally, HMPO didn't bother to respond. Bangkok HMPO said:

"For information about supporting document please see the attach file.

You have to color photocopies of every page of your current passport and sign every pages.'

I've just sent another email to confirm that it is OK to mail documents. See what happenssad.png

Please outline your print more clearly.

An inflammatory post has been removed.

Sorry about that but the OP cannot blame others for - as you pointed out - the errors in his application.

Only one person is to blame for this situation and that is the OP.

He is fortunate that the cost of his mistake will be limited to the 20,000 Baht maximum overstay fine.

Good day.

Well your dealing with local governors, prosecutor's, and attorney general good for you but none the less you still sent it to the wrong place and besides what have these people got to you with HMPO anyway ?

The only arrogance I have seen on this thread is actually from you dear boy, you screwed the pooch and you can't even admit it, but just continue ranting blaming everyone else for your own actions

• Like 2

As to the rest of you, I would suggest you take the less petulant posters' advice and write/mail your local MP.

Just one little difficulty here: none of us Brit exiles living in LOS has a local MP back in Blighty any longer.

Edited by OJAS

He is fortunate that the cost of his mistake will be limited to the 20,000 Baht maximum overstay fine.

Plus the postage costs incurred by the With-It Tower mob in mailing his application back to the UK for the second time, of course!

Sorry about that but the OP cannot blame others for - as you pointed out - the errors in his application.

I am sure the local governors, attorney general and other various hiso types he deals with in Thailand will "fix" his overstay problem

I am sure the local governors, attorney general and other various hiso types he deals with in Thailand will "fix" his overstay problem

.................for about...................... 20,000 Baht.

• Like 1

You are able to pay by banker's cheque/draft, as has been done by many other posters.

Page 13 of the guidance notes contains a paragraph called ' How to pay'. It says you must pay by either debit card or credit card. There is no mention of any other method of payment.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230586/OS_Guidance_Notes_08.13.pdf

Edited by sustento

Help!

How do I pay? I have an account in the UK, so I can use a Debit Card, but the gov website just give the form to fill in. I'm guessing I can't just fill that out and take it to Bangkok because my appointment confirmation email states,

Whilst applying/renewing your passport, the charges need to be paid online. Details are mentioned on gov.uk website. You are required to carry a printout of this transaction and submit it with your application at the Bangkok Centre.

Where do I send the form? How do I pay online?

Apologies if I am a plank, but some assistance would be greatly received.

Help!

How do I pay? I have an account in the UK, so I can use a Debit Card, but the gov website just give the form to fill in. I'm guessing I can't just fill that out and take it to Bangkok because my appointment confirmation email states,

Whilst applying/renewing your passport, the charges need to be paid online. Details are mentioned on gov.uk website. You are required to carry a printout of this transaction and submit it with your application at the Bangkok Centre.

You fill out the form by putting all the required info about your credit/debit card on it. Sign it and submit it with your application. When your application arrives in the UK they will process the payment.

Info you got in the email does not seem to be correct from info that has posted on the other topic on UK passport applications.

Help!

You fill out the form by putting all the required info about your credit/debit card on it. Sign it and submit it with your application. When your application arrives in the UK they will process the payment.

Info you got in the email does not seem to be correct from info that has posted on the other topic on UK passport applications.

Thanks for the reply, but it's not very confidence inspiring that the email is giving incorrect info. I hope it all goes well as I have to fly to Bangkok and stay in a hotel.