Have the Russian tourists dissapeared?

Justanotherpassword

Perhaps it is because of domestic Russian problems, recession etc, economic sanctions from the West over the Ukraine or Thailand's own bad publicity of the moment. It seems a year ago we had many off season tourists including full families from Vladavostok or other scenic spots that rarely get warm. Has there been any pullout of Russian expats as well? The difference is very noticeable this low season. We are in unusual times, but usually these hardy folks fear nothing. Please, no bashing of the Russians in your responses. I would just like to know if anyone knows groups of Russians (or are bilingual Russians) to know what they are thinking of Thailand vacations at present.

You comment made me look up exchange rates and this might be part of the answer. I understand that their package vacations usually are paid in monthly installments and looking at the one and two year exchange rate variances I could see how the operators became overwhelmed with the rate changes up and down like a yo yo. http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/RUB-THB-exchange-rate-history.html

Exactly what I've discussed with a friend a few days ago..

My guess is, that many Russians will never come back because of unfulfilled expectations.

They come from cold Russia to Pattaya with their wife, children, etc., to enjoy "family holidays"

But the crappy, filthy beaches, the dirty sea, even in Jomtien, missing sidewalks for just strolling around, permanent haggling with the taxi mafia and many other small, but annoying things, are far away from any expected "Sun holidays".

I suspect, many of them will travel (if enough money), to far better maintained destinations like Turkey, South Europe like Spain, Italy etc...

I seriously doubt, that most of the Russians will recommend Pattaya to their friends...

Pattaya Songran was the last straw.

I was standing in a queue at Tesco Lotus yesterday and most of the foreigners were Russians couples with kids out shopping cheap food and drinks. You won't find them in bars or restaurants , that's for sure.

My interest was the Russians not dissing Pattaya. I can tell you on the on Volga river boats departing Moscow to St Petersburg is a trash heap of abandoned cars, plastics, and all types of junk for about 20 km. That is what tourists see in Russia. So let's not winge about Pattaya or if you must, move away from Pattaya, but don't gripe about it please. The comparison of costs to Spain instead of us is impossible for many of them financially.

These price increases are before airfare considerations and the domestic unemployment rate in Spain which is 25%

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Spain&city1=Pattaya&city2=Barcelona

My interest was the Russians not dissing Pattaya. I can tell you on the on Volga river boats departing Moscow to St Petersburg is a trash heap of abandoned cars, plastics, and all types of junk for about 20 km. That is what tourists see in Russia.

This is no Pattaya dissing, but the reality from the view of a tourist. (and not only from them)

Open your eyes and look around!

There are many places in the world, which are definitely more dirty/filthy/dangerous/$whatever than Pattaya, but since this thread IS about PATTAYA, the rest of the world is not interesting...

So let's not winge about Pattaya or if you must, move away from Pattaya, but don't gripe about it please.

The boring standard argument from a fanboy a person with pink tinted sunglasses? coffee1.gif

And don't compare apples with bananas, or don't you know the difference between "family holidays" and a permanent residence?

However, I would move in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I am financially involved in some business, which I can't leave.

The comparison of costs to Spain instead of us is impossible for many of them financially.

Thats why I've added "(if enough money)"

But I am not sure, if Spain or Turkey or even North Africa (Tunesia/Morocco, etc.) would be so much more expensive for a "two weeks tourist".

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

Go to any area around Na Jomtien, particularly near the Ambassador Hotel, not only are there thousands of them around on holiday, they are staying and opening many business in that area too.

Edited by LennyW

The Roubel dropped about 15% this may be a factor , as they all seem to be on a tight budget to begin with.

nO rUSSIANS HAVE BOUGHT CONDOS THEN?????

I guess what you are saying is that many Russians have bought "closet" and up condos and they have of course. I was referring to tourism not condo purchases. The Russian currency is presently back to the same range it was a year ago. It has been up, and down though which I thought would effect the tour operators who fly in to U-tapao airport. Some of these folks pay for their vacations on a monthly plan ahead of time which is why they arrive "close to their means" here. The sad bit is when they become ill, need a hospital and have no money for it. I have heard those stories.

Just prior to the Olympics I ran into a very nice young couple from Russia who were bilingual, happy, well dressed and polite. They are the next generation of tourists who will put their parents generation to shame. They were a real pleasure to talk to rather than the sour faced folks I have run into in the past, but that may just be an age and circumstance thing. Oh, and there are plenty of sourpusses of all nations.

• Like 1

My interest was the Russians not dissing Pattaya. I can tell you on the on Volga river boats departing Moscow to St Petersburg is a trash heap of abandoned cars, plastics, and all types of junk for about 20 km. That is what tourists see in Russia.

This is no Pattaya dissing, but the reality from the view of a tourist. (and not only from them)

There are many places in the world, which are definitely more dirty/filthy/dangerous/$whatever than Pattaya, but since this thread IS about PATTAYA, the rest of the world is not interesting...

So let's not winge about Pattaya or if you must, move away from Pattaya, but don't gripe about it please.

The boring standard argument from a fanboy a person with pink tinted sunglasses? coffee1.gif

And don't compare apples with bananas, or don't you know the difference between "family holidays" and a permanent residence?

However, I would move in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I am financially involved in some business, which I can't leave.

The comparison of costs to Spain instead of us is impossible for many of them financially.

But I am not sure, if Spain or Turkey or even North Africa (Tunesia/Morocco, etc.) would be so much more expensive for a "two weeks tourist".

You can click the above link for the cost comparison on Spain, Morrocco etc.

Great business plan one "capitalist to another" to have a business in a place you cannot aparently stand.thumbsup.gif I am frankly curious about the status of Russia and if she can handle the obligations placed on her by Putin's policies and how that is affecting her people. I believe that their entire economy may crash and burn or become overly dependent upon China. I am certain that two weeks in Barcelona with a 25% unemployment rate and considerable crime would be double the price of two weeks in Pattaya and when you have kids an even greater expense for a theme park etc. I also don't know the visa issues for Russians to travel to the EU, but that too is a different issue.

You can click the above link for the cost comparison on Spain, Morrocco etc.

Great business plan one "capitalist to another" to have a business in a place you cannot aparently stand.thumbsup.gif I am frankly curious about the status of Russia and if she can handle the obligations placed on her by Putin's policies and how that is affecting her people. I believe that their entire economy may crash and burn or become overly dependent upon China. I am certain that two weeks in Barcelona with a 25% unemployment rate and considerable crime would be double the price of two weeks in Pattaya and when you have kids an even greater expense for a theme park etc. I also don't know the visa issues for Russians to travel to the EU, but that too is a different issue.

Ruble Plunge Hitting Russians Speeds Slide to Recession

Irina Egorova, the 46-year-old owner of a travel agency in the center of Maloyaroslavets, says her company is feeling the pinch. Early bookings for the summer season have dropped from last year. Like Isaev, many of her clients make do with destinations closer to home, such as crisis-hit Greece or Montenegro instead of Spain.

“People are traveling less,” Egorova said. “People are waiting for a last minute bargain.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-05/ruble-plunge-hitting-russians-speeds-slide-to-recession.html

Edited by Asiantravel

Go to any area around Na Jomtien, particularly near the Ambassador Hotel, not only are there thousands of them around on holiday, they are staying and opening many business in that area too.

Yep....business as usual...low season of course so a difference to a few months ago but not from last or previous years of the same months. Tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, coups, high XE rates, people still keep coming.

Apart from the Russians, my feeling is, that this years low season, is very low?

We use to visit a very clean swimming pool with a nice restaurant in a village, two times a week.

In the last years we always met some people there, but this year, 50% of the time, we have the whole pool for us.

Even the Sukhumvit was relatively quiet last Saturday evening, when we left Macro.

• Like 1

Ruble Plunge Hitting Russians Speeds Slide to Recession

Irina Egorova, the 46-year-old owner of a travel agency in the center of Maloyaroslavets, says her company is feeling the pinch. Early bookings for the summer season have dropped from last year. Like Isaev, many of her clients make do with destinations closer to home, such as crisis-hit Greece or Montenegro instead of Spain.

“People are traveling less,” Egorova said. “People are waiting for a last minute bargain.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-05/ruble-plunge-hitting-russians-speeds-slide-to-recession.html

This was written when the ruble was .9046 to the Baht and it is presently .94 and has been .95. Very close to year ago prices. That is why I find it odd and wonder about the Russian domestic confidence level. I hear their inflation rate is 6%

BTW Thanks Asiantravel. That was interesting. I do understand something that had not occurred to me. If the Ruble has a domestic inflation rate of 6-7% and imported goods are more expensive because of the wild fluctuations of the ruble people could well just stay home and buy a big ticket item before it is beyond their income such as a refrigerator, TV, washer or dryer.

Russians or not, it was a very quite and relaxing walk I had along jomtien beach rd today. A slight breeze in the air and and almost no tourists to be seen. I enjoyed it .

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

The main problem is that the Russian media has been scaring off tourists. They go out of their way to highlight the unrest, the curfew, and a "possible civil war" in Thailand. That has had a chilling effect on the Russian tourists here, and needless to say, the actual curfew didn't help matters.

I suspect that they will start trickling in a few months from now and they should be back in full force by October or so.

Chatting with a realtor and a developer the other week. They reckon in Q1/2, the Russians account for 60% of the Pattaya market.

They also commented on a 26% uptick on sales SINCE the (event the army doesn't want to called a) coup.

These are the Russians you hardly ever see. Quietly buying new properties in new developments well away from Pattaya and driving red-plated Mercs and Lexus's to shop at Makro. Not to be confused with the noisome ones that barge about the malls, shop at 7-eleven, keep the change to pay the EXACT songtaew fares for their Ambassador City commute or ride around in Pegas buses.

• Like 1

The Russians buy a LOT of real estate here, but they deal primarily, if not exclusively with Russian real estate agencies, so a non-Russian agency may not be able to fully quantify the sales impact of the Russian market.

just wait for the second round of economic sector sanctions on Russia for its activities in Eastern Ukraine and see how that will affect the ruble and Russian tourism to Thailand. Unless of course Putin decides to send troops here to protect Russian community in Pattaya from Thais and Westerners, that would make all the Russian-oriented businesses happy.
On personal street observation level I don't see any unusual dearth of russkies in Jomtien. it's summer now in Russia and just as hot as in Thailand so the usual low season period applies. The numbers usually drop by the start of Jun and then start rising again in Oct-Nov.