Thai Coup Ushers in Organic Farming Initiative

I read the article.

The words have merit, but it seems to me to be penned by someone without grassroots understanding of the Thai way of doing things.

The plan also calls the localization of agricultural processing, including warehouses, marketing centers, distribution and even fertilizer production to be done within villages

Cost cutting is where organic agriculture comes in. Both the production of fertilizers locally and the control of weeds and pests will be accomplished by training farmers through national programs focusing on organic methods.

Where I see immediate issues are along the lines of the

• Organic Certification originially - this certification would be granted by a person who maybe be open to a 'Tea Money' gift in order to obtain that certification, and ...
  • Once that Certification was obtained, the ability of the Thai Farmer to maintain those Organic Ideals.

Places like New Zealand for their food produce are widely regarded as a clean producer ... could Thailand replicate that?

The quantum leap for Thailand to recoginised on the World Stage as an Organice Producer, for me, for a generation, seems a mountain difficult to climb.

Humm ... Thailand the Organic Hub of Asia ... pondering-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

About a year ago, I am sure I saw an article in the bkk post about organic vegetables in Thai supermarkets being laden with pesticides and chemicals that are not supposed to be present in organic food.

I just don't trust anything "organic" in Thailand anymore.

... and that post nails it for me.

You have to 'trust' organic ... that trust maybe hard to come by in Thailand.

There is a current Court Case running in Australia. One Farmer (F1), has a genuine Organic Certification, growing canola.

The Farmer (F2) next door, growing GM Canola.

F1 lost his organic certification across approximatelt 1/2 his Farm for 3 years because of cross crop contamination.

Currently before the courts ... we take this issue very seriously .. that is why the 'Grown in Austalia' Mark is respected.

Thailand Organic .. humm ... doesn't have the same ring.

... and that post nails it for me.

You have to 'trust' organic ... that trust maybe hard to come by in Thailand.

There is a current Court Case running in Australia. One Farmer (F1), has a genuine Organic Certification, growing canola.

F1 lost his organic certification across approximatelt 1/2 his Farm for 3 years because of cross crop contamination.

Currently before the courts ... we take this issue very seriously .. that is why the 'Grown in Austalia' Mark is respected.

Thailand Organic .. humm ... doesn't have the same ring.

the organic farmer lost that case David .... in WA i believe ... the use and uncontrolled over use of pesticides , fungicides , herbicides in Thailand is a very different matter , you have many illiterate farmers being sold product that they have no idea on how to use safely( if that exists) ....

the organic farmer lost that case David .... in WA i believe ... the use and uncontrolled over use of pesticides , fungicides , herbicides in Thailand is a very different matter , you have many illiterate farmers being sold product that they have no idea on how to use safely( if that exists) ....

Yes, I knew it fell at the first hurdle, but I thought that ruling was being appealed, hence I said 'before the courts' ... but I'm mistaken, there seems to be no challenge.

Here is the Article, updated as of a few days ago ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-07/organic-certifier-defends-role-in-landmark-gm-contamination-case/5506816

In part from that story ...

An organic certifier that was blasted by a WA Supreme Court judge for being unscientific and unreasonable says it has no need to apologise for its actions.

The landmark judgment this month found farmer Michael Baxter could not be held responsible for genetically modified (GM) material that blew onto his neighbour's organic farm at Kojonup.

As a result, most of the organic property was de-certified for three years.

Justice Kenneth Martin brought down damning findings against the National Association for Sustainable Agriculture (NASAA) and its certifying arm, NASAA Certified Organic (NCO), saying the zero tolerance for GM was "unjustifiable".

But NASAA's general manager, Ben Copeman, has told the ABC's Landline "we had no option but to do what we did".

"We don't feel any need to apologise, we have followed a standard and all industry knows what those procedures are," he said.

Other than the title of the article, I see nothing that says there is any intention of trying to produce anything resembling true “Organic Produce”. I see comments about reducing costs using natural methods (ie fertilizer and pesticides) but there is no illusion that “Organic” status will be reached. There are always “Initiatives” coming out to help the rural people, but I wouldn’t get too excited about them until I see some follow through. I do expect as upper class tastes become more western, that there will be a better developed niche market catering to those desires (there is some now), but I don’t see it happing wide spread. I am considering a small trip into this area with quail, chickens, eggs, and some produce on a very limited basis just to see what the market is like locally and how difficult it really is.