Phuket driving test pass rate slumps

webfact

...........“We are not ‘teasing’ people or trying to stop them from passing, but we want to increase safety on the roads. I don’t want to let unqualified people drive on the road by letting them pass the test too easily.”.............

As said by a senior officer from the Provincial Land Transport Department.

Jesus wept.

..................The problem must be with misunderstanding on the part of the foreigners themselves..............

But of course!!! A Thai is NEVER at fault.

Well that says it all..

One picture about proper parking has a small arrow pointing to the correct answer, however, an incorrect answer is in bold print instead of the correct answer.

Go with the answers in BOLD print whether it is correct or not.

It is one thing to know what a stop sign looks like but if everyone ignores the stop sign what does it mean ? Thais are in desperate need of a hands on defensive driving course. What do all those lines on the road mean and which side of the road should we drive on? Is the shoulder just another lane in the opposite direction? What side of the shoulder should a motorbike pass on when meeting a truck going the wrong way? Their lives and the lives of everyone on the road depends on it.

What should a bus driver do when he makes a right turn from the shoulder and a mobile crane sticks its nose into the back window ? Jump up and down? Call the police ? Run away and find a new job ? What should a sugar cane trucker do when his overloaded truck dumps sugar canes on 5 members of a family riding a motorbike killing all of them ? What should a sugar cane trucker do when his overloaded truck dumps sugar canes on 5 members of a family riding a motorbike killing only two of them ? Should you stop at a red light ? What is a safe number of riders without helmets on a motorbike ? 1? 2? 3? 4? 5? Should you carry a propane tank on a motorbike secured only with your hand ?

Is it safe to ride in a truck without seat belts? How many people can ride safely in the back of a half T truck ? Should they wear seat belts ? Can 3 or 4 riders ride safely on the top of a load some 10 meters above the ground? Would they be safer with a seat belt? What if they encounter a live electrical line. Who is responsible for lifting the line up ?a) the one with the darkest skin? B) the one with the lowest IQ ?

Is it quite obvious that adding more questions and making the pass mark higher will a)improve road safety B) will prove that the test examiners are idiots c) reduce the fatalities on the highways in Thailand from 50,000 to 49,999 ?

Test link in English not working. Anyone else having same problem?

i have just tried it seems ok try clicking on 123 rather than the engilsh header

Thanks...works now.

Answering questions does not teach people to drive a car. Practical lessons with an extensive practical driving test is what is needed. When I did my Thai licence nearly everyone passed, even the lady who crashed the car trying to do a reverse park on the course. This is the problem, not the number of questions.

in english test 1 question 2 4 answers where they say picture 2 is corect. I will say all of them is wrong wgen i take my driving license from Denmark proper parking is 5 meter from T-cross the same thing if there is a sideroad 5 meters from the sidecross starts..So the question 2 answer 2 is wrong. look at the web page here http://tinyurl.com/Thaidrivetest.

Edited by beowolf2012

Got the dl allready , bout 7 years now , but indeed the theoretical exam is a cross between gamble and taking out the absolute bull$#!+ answers , made it the first time thou

The English driving test must have been approved by a native speaker.

That's different from

The English driving test has been approved by a native speaker.

It's more of a question than a statement. The answer to that question is no it hasn't.

I get the impression that having English checked by a native speaker is some sort of taboo. The problem might be that it's not easy to get a work permit for a native English speaker to do small jobs like these.

The English driving test must have been approved by a native speaker.

That's different from

The English driving test has been approved by a native speaker.

It's more of a question than a statement. The answer to that question is no it hasn't.

I get the impression that having English checked by a native speaker is some sort of taboo. The problem might be that it's not easy to get a work permit for a native English speaker to do small jobs like these.

Even thai with sufficient knowledge of english seem to be not checking the text , looks like they used bing