Phuket airport shuttle bus scam

y2k

I've been exposed to this before but the group of passengers I was with were very vocal about being forced to stop and choose a tour so we were spared. I'm not so sure about the next time. Do things get heated if one refuses to buy a tour?

I have never heard of people forced to buy a tour. Just forced to stop at the tour office and subjected to a hard sell. My metered taxi attempted this with me last month.

I have heard several accounts of tourists being told that since the driver didn't know where the hotel was, or that the hotel was no good, or that the hotel had burned down, they must book another with them. A common scam by the taxis and shared airport vans.

When you say shuttle bus, I assume you mean minibus, right? Or are they trying this with the airport to patong and airport to phuket town buses now too?

Edited by NomadJoe

...or that the hotel was no good, or that the hotel had burned down...

I recall this happening to a friend of mine many years ago who was using the shuttle bus service. He told the tour guide that this news concerned him greatly since he owned the hotel..... cheesy.gif

He was very soon back on the bus!

• Like 1

Minivans pausing at a hard sell travel agency on the way, or dropping people off at a travel agency at the destination point, staff of the agency getting into the van before the passengers can even get off - it is annoying, but I wouldn't call it a scam. Booking tourists on minivans, I have warned them about it, and advised them to see it as kind of a show, it belongs to the Thailand experience.

It is much more annoying that often travel agencies put tourist on a minivan which makes large detours in order to pick people up in all kinds of places, they would have reached their destination much quicker and more comfortable when just taking the public bus.

• Like 1

at the onset, tell the driver you are returning to your room after a brief trip and they don't bother trying to up sell or switch you from your orig. plan.

don't let on you are a first time visitor.

or mention the room room is pre paid as part of a tour, they won't try to mess with you then.

Due to all the complaints from tourists about this sharp practice, a year, or two ago, the authorities promised a crack-down and the practice would end.

As you can see, like all other promises that have been made, it was empty.

due to all the complaints, the authorities are now getting larger kick backs to let it continue .