Bangok Work Permit - Syphilis Blood Test?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might ask for a syphilis test, but it seems a bit random if they want it or not. They wanted one from me (that is in a steady relationship) but one from my friend that is a regular "red-light district" visitor...

That's correct. It was never mentioned but when my lawyer went to submit the paperwork he called to ask my blood type. I didn't know so I guessed, then I went to the hospital and had a test done for 150 THB or something and it turns out I guessed right.

Blood test requirements includes HIV I think too? Talk to your Visa company.

And here starts the rumour mongering...NO. Only syphilis. A simple pin prick on the fingertip, or, if you want to go to a private hospital, B1500.

• Like 1

And here starts the rumour mongering...NO. Only syphilis. A simple pin prick on the fingertip, or, if you want to go to a private hospital, B1500.

Camillian is a private hospital and only charges 250 baht for that test.

And what are the consequences?

If you have ever had syphilis, even when effectively treated, that fact will always show up in subsequent blood work.

Does that mean that if you have ever had syphilis, however long ago, you will never get a work permit? Or do you have to show a level of infection that is significant?

Somehow I think that many medical facilities find a syphilis test a little too complicated. My colleague went for a test last year with Samitivej and for some reason he tested positive...then negative. A way of generating revenue? Incompetent? Or is it not an easy test to determine?

I'm donating blood every 3 months, that way I don't need any extra tests for my work permit. And also sometimes it might be good to have something to show that your doing something for the Thai society.

• Like 1

I'm not a doctor, though I did play one on TV, but I'm pretty sure the test is only to detect an active infection. The certificate only mentions no indication of tertiary syphilis.

If someone had had syphilis and it was effectively treated, it wouldn't progress to secondary or tertiary syphilis so they would still be issued a medical certificate.

"They wanted one from me (that is in a steady relationship) but one from my friend that is a regular "red-light district" visitor"...-Eaglekott

Did yours turn up positive........wub.pngwub.png

When I got my medical certificate, my syphilis test consisted of the doctor asking "do you have syphilis?".

Some want to see a laboratory test result. Hope your answer wasn't positive.

When I got my medical certificate, my syphilis test consisted of the doctor asking "do you have syphilis?".

Some want to see a laboratory test result. Hope your answer wasn't positive.

The test doesn't require a laboratory. It is easy to test the blood for syphilis. It can be done with a simple strip. As mentioned, the only thing they are concerned with is "tertiary syphilis" for whatever silly reason. If a person were to have tertiary syphilis, it would be obcious to detect on site. Once you reach that stage, you are likely going to lose everything, all of your marbles before you lay down for one final goodnight!

The clinic I use is always the same. Depending on which doctor I get, they may or may not do the blood test. In fact, they have only taken my blood once for the test. I asked about it the first time I went when this new rule was passed. The doctor laughed and told me that she would know if I had tertiary syphilis. She then asked me to raise my shirt and turn around, just to be sure she said. Apparently, I would have some pretty nasty looking sores or something if I had it.

As it stands now, they still want it as far as I know!

If you have ever had syphilis, even when effectively treated, that fact will always show up in subsequent blood work.

Does that mean that if you have ever had syphilis, however long ago, you will never get a work permit? Or do you have to show a level of infection that is significant?

I would assume the syphilis test is the same as the syphilis test they like to have for the non immigrant O-A visa. That's a test for the third step of syphilis Edited by larsjohnsson

The requirement is that you don't have "third stage" syphillis. That's different from having had syph in the past.

You also have to be free of elephantitis and some other exotic deseases.

Sent from my A 8+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The requirement is that you don't have "third stage" syphillis. That's different from having had syph in the past.

You also have to be free of elephantitis and some other exotic deseases.

Sent from my A 8+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exactly. This myth keeps coming up and people keep spreading the same disinformation. You don't need a blood test for syphilis any more than you need one for elephantiasis. I don't know what they do in Nakhon Nowhere but in Bangkok no blood test is required. You simply need a standard form medical certificate with all the boxes ticked. The doctor can see you're free of all those conditions by asking you some questions and giving you a physical examination. If your doctor doesn't already know your blood group then you simply have to tell him. It's true that some clinics and hospitals will insist on blood tests and x-rays and god knows what else but this is just a money making scam and is not required by the work permit office.

• Like 1

I didn't do any blood work or tests of any kind. Just went to the clinic, showed my passport, and paid the 50 baht to get the form.

You could roll a corpse in there and get it a clean bill of health.

• Like 2

I would assume the syphilis test is the same as the syphilis test they like to have for the non immigrant O-A visa. That's a test for the third step of syphilis

No need for blood test on 3rd stage syphilis, you'll have holes in your face...

• Like 1

Camillian is a private hospital and only charges 250 baht for that test.

Camillian is a semi-private hospital. I should know, I spend a month in there!