Moving back home

Hello guys!!

Basically I was born in thailand but moved to England when I was 10. Am now 27 and looking to moved back to thailand. I speak perfect English for a Thai. I was thinking would it be easy for me to get a well paid job in doing something!! I havnt got a degree only college education. Please help any comments welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I've moved your post to the Business and Jobs section, where you might get a better response.

As you're not too specific about your skills and experience I haven't put it in the "hire me" section.

Do you have, or can you get, a Thai passport, that would open up far more opportunities for you.

Whilst I wish every luck, you need to bear in mind that there are many Thai college graduates in the job market all chasing the holy grail.

Good luck.

My son was educated untill 12 in the UK then we came back he is now in uni ,our neighbour offered him a job a few years ago ,but and it was a big but only after he got a university education (which is about the standard here of 6th form in the uk) they seem to base everything on that degree ,the English will help you a lot ,

"I was thinking would it be easy for me to get a well paid job in doing something!!"

You're half right. You'll get a job easy, but it won't necessarily be well paid. You might be surprised how much importance is placed on a piece of paper vs real world experience or skills.

• Like 1

you need management skills,then and only then you might be lucky and get a job in a good hotel,as for good pay hmmmmmm.

I thought they like Thai's who are prepared to work hard in the uk.my wife spoke perfect English and got a job which included overtime[in management] 20yrs ago and finished up on 35k.a yr.gbp.that is.

Look at the classifieds, numerous positions where common sense, work ethos and laterall thinking are more important than formal qualifications. Being bi lingual and Thai would be a definate added bonus.Who you know through networking goes a long way. Get yourselfe here and established, many doors will open for you.

Hello guys!!

Basically I was born in thailand but moved to England when I was 10. Am now 27 and looking to moved back to thailand. I speak perfect English for a Thai. I was thinking would it be easy for me to get a well paid job in doing something!! I havnt got a degree only college education. Please help any comments welcome

Define well paid ?

Were you 'born in Thailand" or "basically born in Thailand"? How is someone basically born? Is this different from natural birth? Is there also a basic birth and an advanced birth? Please enlighten me.

Thank you from the lower level of my heart.

My job now in the uk is a full time maintenance/caretaker manager in a fitness centre. Also got experience in warehouse supervisor and in building trade. My English is very good. My Thai is good not perfect but that will come back to me when I spend more time in thailand. But I can't read or write thai though but am trying to learn that now in the uk. I was hoping to move back to thailand because am sick of the uk. Any jobs that will pay between 18k to 20k should be fine to lived on for me. Plus I got family in bangkok some working in 5stars hotels and some in banking.

My job now in the uk is a full time maintenance/caretaker manager in a fitness centre. Also got experience in warehouse supervisor and in building trade. My English is very good. My Thai is good not perfect but that will come back to me when I spend more time in thailand. But I can't read or write thai though but am trying to learn that now in the uk. I was hoping to move back to thailand because am sick of the uk. Any jobs that will pay between 18k to 20k should be fine to lived on for me. Plus I got family in bangkok some working in 5stars hotels and some in banking.

What you are asking for (I assume it is in GBP per year) is usually paid for managers with degrees and a lot of experience. If you are starting, without a degree and special skills you look more into the 10.000-20.000 THB per month as a starting. You might be able to go up to THB 30.000 in the long run but without a degree you still would be considered unskilled and it will be harder to even get a job.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

18k-20k THB/m or 18k-20k GBP/year ?

If its THB/m why don't you teach English ? You will get more money

I have known a few Thais born Thailand, came to uk as young kids, perfect English good Thai, not perfect, their writing lets them down a bit, However they all are doing better in Thailand than England life style anyway,, A lot depends where in Thailand you want to live, Teaching English seems a logical route, as you not doubt have a Thai passport, no need for work permit, might take a bit of time, ie starting without degree, but you could end up in a few years doing very well for yourself, not just schools/but private tuition. if that is not your thing., a few others.

Hospitals certainly in tourist areas i met one guy in Udon Thani, born in uk Thai mother, was the main translator for falangs, he said he ould never go back to uk.

Translation for companys ok degrees usually required, but if you sell yourself can be done.

A few work for multi nationals in Bangkok, think they had degrees from uk though.

Hotlels etc etc but low pay, and uncertain career prospects..

Good luck

18 to 20k GBP a year

Sorry for the delayed response, I just fell off my chair.

You seriously need to lower your expectations, jackopan. If you can get a job in BKK at 10000 THB a year to start, you'll be doing well.

The skills and experience you've gained in the UK will mean diddly squat in Thailand. You'll be starting from scratch particularly with your limited Thai language and writing.

As previously stated, you could try teaching English and in the meantime really knuckle down to re-learning Thai language.

You are a true product of the English education system.

So, you're illiterate (in Thai) and have some family working in a bank in Bangkok? You haven't mentioned whether you are male or female. If you are the latter, perhaps you could procure a position through said family as "The Chick Looking at Facebook so I Don't Have to Serve the Farang"....and you can pretend all the money's yours while you're counting it...and take photos of it...and put them on Facebook...

you have been an odd job man in a fitness center,worked in a warehouse and been a builder[labourer?] although you've lived your working life in the uk.your a typical thai I CAN DO THAT] if I was you I would try and get a degree or some sort of qualification in the uk.that would stand you in great stead for the future in Thailand,you know a degree in Thailand isn't worth the paper its printed on if your looking to earn good money.i know what my wife would tell you STAY PUT.

and you say your fed up with the uk.I see where your coming from TOOOOOOO MANY IMMIGRANTS.

do you have Thai ID ? without it you may have problem finding regular employment. There is also the issue of your military service record or exempt stamp. Not insurmountable problems but most likely will cost money to sort.

Edited by highchol

Formalise your Thai ability by studying a B.Lang in your home country. With previous Thai ability, you can get probably get this done in 12-18 months + an in-Thai internship. Then you should find it easy getting a decent job.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem for the OP is that he gives the impression that he is a drifter and is running away from a so-so education and work record in the UK. He may be 'sick of the UK', whatever that means, but it is back in the UK that both his education and future prospects can be reviewed and repaired for future prospects.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Since you have family in Bangkok working in a hotel that could be a door opener. I have a friend that was born in Thailand but doesn't read and write Thai but speaks fluent Thai. He came as an intern for 25k a month plus a free room. 5 years on he is the Director of Sales.

Come back to Thailand and you might enrol in a hospitality school as you don't hold any degree from a university. Good luck.