Do Buddhists pray to mystical trees?

finy

troll

It doesn't half get on my tits when I see this word mentioned online.

It's been overused to the extreme.

And why would I know anything about Buddhism after living in Thailand for a few years? I've lived in Scotland 27 years and couldn't tell you the first thing about anything Gaelic traditions. The only thing I can tell you about Catholics and Protestants is that one group support Celtic and the other Rangers.

My lack of knowledge in regards to religion hasn't done me any harm so far and luckily I can post on here so I don't come face to face with a Muay Thai Monk.

I think it's called education, and taking a bit of an interest in the country where you have been living . Life is about learning and expanding your knowledge.

To be honest it's really not surprising you have got a bit of flack about your post. If you have realised that the tree had some special sacred significance to the locals and still considered defiling it- just ignorant .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These Spirit-trees pre-date Buddhism, officially this kind of worship is frowned upon by the Monks but in reality it is an intrinsic part of Thai culture. Avoid doing anything that like what you described.

Yes it pre-dates Buddhism, but it is not frowned upon by monks - actually some may be opposed to it, but not the majority.

My wife says that all older trees contain a Phi. She refuses to enter the trunk of a hollow tree. The Greeks had Dryads, the Huns had their tree religion (the Romans cut down as many as they could, thus destroying resistance)

- copied off the web: in 723, a Christian missionary named Winfrid cut down an oak tree sacred to the god Thor. This action is said to mark the beginning of the Christianization of the Germanic peoples, my own ancestors.

On June 5, 754, Winfrid (now established as Bishop Boniface of Mainz) was surprised and killed by angry non-Christians. The ringleaders said they had acted lawfully because Boniface had destroyed their places of worship.

We have a few trees around the village with cloth and other frippery bound around their trunks. Leave it alone!

troll

I think it's called education, and taking a bit of an interest in the country where you have been living . Life is about learning and expanding your knowledge.

To be honest it's really not surprising you have got a bit of flack about your post. If you have realised that the tree had some special sacred significance to the locals and still considered defiling it- just ignorant .

Life is about learning and expanding your knowledge, but there are more important things to be learning about than sacred trees.

I also find it highly amusing that you call me ignorant, yet you preach about education, learning, and expanding my knowledge. Isn't asking a question on a forum educating myself and expanding my knowledge?

• Like 1

If you do this, I hope you are already trained well because your body will need to heal afterwards.

You should be embarrassed even to think of this idea.

BTW, Buddhists do not pray TO the object, like a metal statue, but use the object to focus their prayers for some betterment they have in mind.

The strong strain of animism in the tree activities do ask for the spirit in the tree to not harm anyone and maybe even bring the person good luck.

• Like 1

I once observed Thais bring "holy water" from a Buddhist Temple...and placing it around the roots of small trees...then getting down on their knees and bowing to the tree in solemn prayer...

• Like 1

Do Buddhists pray to mystical trees?

No, they just wrap stuff around that others know they can use it to build a house, or a mental hospital for foreigners, living here too long.

Ever heard of Buddha's enlightenment? Under a tree......

Edited by sirchai

I once observed Thais bring "holy water" from a Buddhist Temple...and placing it around the roots of small trees...then getting down on their knees and bowing to the tree in solemn prayer...

Doesn't that what you believe make you strong?

The ceremony you observed is a little complicated to explain.. the holy water you see was from a ceremony blessing their deceased relatives or loved ones, then pouring it on the roots of the trees or bush's there by nourishing the tree or bush, then the blessings will help the tree or bush grow, entering the life forces of the tree or bush, then as the tree or bush sucks in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen into the air, releases the blessing to the world at large. Something like that. wai.gif. Done daily or weekly at every Thai Buddhist temple I know of.

• Like 2

It's a spirit tree. The whole tree is sacred. I suggest you leave it alone. I have one on my land. Thais come from all over to pray to it, usually asking the spirit for the next winning lottery number. Although I've been told the spirit that lives in mine doesn't tell the truth.

just love it clap2.gif now we have a thai tree that lies.

• Like 1

It's a spirit tree. The whole tree is sacred. I suggest you leave it alone. I have one on my land. Thais come from all over to pray to it, usually asking the spirit for the next winning lottery number. Although I've been told the spirit that lives in mine doesn't tell the truth.

I trust you or your mrs charge an entrance fee, would be a shame to miss out on a nice little earner.

finy - you are a Senior Member here with a lot of posts, living in Thailand and still does not know anything about Buddhism and Thailand?? You act like a troll to me, no pun intended

Strange outlook, I could ask many Thais who have lived here all their life, they know nothing about Buddhism or the teachings.

Sak yant or sai sin anyone?

Will I gain more merit if I put the gold leaf on the front of the buddha or the back, will I gain merit if no-one sees me making the offering?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Doesn't that what you believe make you strong?

This was an observation...not a call to judgment...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The ceremony you observed is a little complicated to explain.. the holy water you see was from a ceremony blessing their deceased relatives or loved ones, then pouring it on the roots of the trees or bush's there by nourishing the tree or bush, then the blessings will help the tree or bush grow, entering the life forces of the tree or bush, then as the tree or bush sucks in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen into the air, releases the blessing to the world at large. Something like that. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>. Done daily or weekly at every Thai Buddhist temple I know of.

True or not...that was an eloquent explanation...thanks...

The ceremony you observed is a little complicated to explain.. the holy water you see was from a ceremony blessing their deceased relatives or loved ones, then pouring it on the roots of the trees or bush's there by nourishing the tree or bush, then the blessings will help the tree or bush grow, entering the life forces of the tree or bush, then as the tree or bush sucks in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen into the air, releases the blessing to the world at large. Something like that. wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>. Done daily or weekly at every Thai Buddhist temple I know of.

True or not...that was an eloquent explanation...thanks...

Carbon dioxide? oxygen?

Buddha said that?

Or some third age prophet from Malibu?

There's a fairly entertaining Thai movie with the English title of "Matchstick ghost" (but which I've been unable to find a DVD version with English subtitles/dubbing). Basically, about a gender-mixed group of university students who pray to tree spirit for aid in passing their exams. They pass and instead of returning to the tree to give thanks, they go out and celebrate as normal students do. However, in the meantime, the tree is cut down (and turned into matchsticks) and when they do return to the site, they are surprised to see it gone. That's when the hauntings begin. The film is actually a pretty unusual mix of comedy, horror, and drama, and not too bad at all. My favourite bit is when the very Bangkok-looking hiso lads are struggling with their algebra and a Isaan-looking fish-seller effortlessly solves the problems for them while polishing off a can of their beer... great commentary on social class and assumptions about intelligence, education, and ethnicity.

I actually already use another tree in the car park along with a few others dotted around the city, so maybe this tree is just special for some reason......

You know there are things called gyms, you may want to look into it,

rather than looking like an idiot swinging and dangling from local trees,

coffee1.gif

The ceremony you observed is a little complicated to explain.. the holy water you see was from a ceremony blessing their deceased relatives or loved ones, then pouring it on the roots of the trees or bush's there by nourishing the tree or bush, then the blessings will help the tree or bush grow, entering the life forces of the tree or bush, then as the tree or bush sucks in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen into the air, releases the blessing to the world at large. Something like that. wai.gif. Done daily or weekly at every Thai Buddhist temple I know of.

The Rudolf Steiner sect has a similar belief:

They channel rain water from the roof through several round bends, turning it into holy water.

And catholic churches have holy water at the entrance.

Not to mention all the sprinkling and baptizing that goes on.

Same same....

La comedie humaine.

Its probably an ordained tree - i.e. it has been made a monk. There are 6 worlds in Buddhism - the Wheel of Samsara - ghosts is one of the worlds in which spirits can be reincarnated, spirits need a body to "interface" into the Human world - trees often provide this body. Hence, it is confused with animism where all things has a spirit including trees of course.

They tend to ordain trees for two reasons: 1. because there is evidence a spirit lives there (such as a monk feeling it) and 2. because it is old and to stop it being cut down (as it may contain a spirit). There is a big road in CM where both sides are lined with large teak trees hundred plus years old, all are ordained to stop them being cut down (some even encroach the road).

Btw someone said their wife states that spirits can not see farangs, only Thai people. Of course that is pure xenophobic nonsense, tradition/doctrine does not state such, otherwise they would only see Indians and NOT Thais as that is where the text/superstitions originate!

PS: using the tree as a climbing frame would be bad manors - and may get adverse reaction - any bad things happening in the village would likely be attributed to you!

Its probably an ordained tree - i.e. it has been made a monk. There are 6 worlds in Buddhism - the Wheel of Samsara - ghosts is one of the worlds in which spirits can be reincarnated, spirits need a body to "interface" into the Human world - trees often provide this body. Hence, it is confused with animism where all things has a spirit including trees of course.

They tend to ordain trees for two reasons: 1. because there is evidence a spirit lives there (such as a monk feeling it) and 2. because it is old and to stop it being cut down (as it may contain a spirit). There is a big road in CM where both sides are lined with large teak trees hundred plus years old, all are ordained to stop them being cut down (some even encroach the road).

Btw someone said their wife states that spirits can not see farangs, only Thai people. Of course that is pure xenophobic nonsense, tradition/doctrine does not state such, otherwise they would only see Indians and NOT Thais as that is where the text/superstitions originate!

PS: using the tree as a climbing frame would be bad manors - and may get adverse reaction - any bad things happening in the village would likely be attributed to you!

therevadan buddhism does not recognize a permanent self or spirit which reincarnates. there is a rebirth linked to the previous consciousness by a linking consciousness.

Done this many times - water is poured during a blessing from a small vile/jug into a bowl. The water is the poured on a plant to nourish it. It is the blessing that is important, more so than the water - but it is unseemly to throw it away.

• Like 1

QUOTE < Its probably an ordained tree - i.e. it has been made a monk > UNQUOTE

I have no further comments.

I was once admonished for weeing on a tree without wai-ing to it first in apology biggrin.png

As long as you don't get admonished by an ordained tree, you might get away with it, without extra time in purgatory.

The tree didn't seem to mind at all laugh.png

I was once admonished for weeing on a tree without wai-ing to it first in apology biggrin.png

As long as you don't get admonished by an ordained tree, you might get away with it, without extra time in purgatory.

The tree didn't seem to mind at all laugh.png

Now don't you start imagining kinky things about that tree.