My Ashes in the Ping River

CMHomeboy78

This may seem like a wacky topic, but I'm quite serious about it.

Ultimately, we all share the same fate; bodily death. whether or not we subsequently reincarnate or continue on in some spiritual form remains to be seen.

The disposal - if that's not too crude a term - of our mortal corpus is a legitimate concern.

My whole adult life has been mostly spent here. A body of artwork created; two daughters raised; and a whole lotta bitchin' between me and my hard-headed Kohn Muang wife.

Nevertheless, I still love it and want to stay on... and it would be visa-free to boot.

The Ping River option sounds best to me; but is it feasible? I've never seen cremations put in the river in all my time here. It's certainly not the Ganges.

Maybe it could be done discreetly. Does anybody know?

Thanks for any information about traditional practices and the current legal aspects of having your ashes cast in the Sri Maenahm Ping.

• Like 1

If you want to do it ,go for it,its just after your dead and cremated,

are you sure that the person you entrust the job to,will actually do

it,but it wont matter as you wont know anyway.

I want to be buried,but the wife says she will cremate my body,see

you have no say when your gone.anybody know cost and if any plots

available at the foreign cemetery ?

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

There are plots available at the Foreign Cemetery .

The current rates are 15000 baht for a full burial plot and 7500 baht for a cremation plot(ashes).

Plots may be reserved by LONG TERM residents of Chiangmai.

Contact The Secretary 081 882 0980

His Email and name is on the notice board at the side of the caretakers house .

• Like 1

The current rates are 15000 baht for a full burial plot and 7500 baht for a cremation plot(ashes).

How long is long term.....Eternity?

Why not? Walk out to middle of bridge, tip urn over the side, finished. You may not stay in CM long however if the current is strong.

I once tried to dump a friend's ashes out of a plane at the top of a loop (his request) but only succeeded in filling the cockpit with an ash cloud.

I'm lobbying for being dumped into the sea whole to feed the fish but don't really care how the diaspora of my most recently acquired atoms takes place.

Sum thing like this perhaps?

• Like 1

I have seen Thai family's a few day's after a cremation meeting up with the monk and the ashes of the family member that was cremated next to the Ping river to let the ashes wrapped in a white cloth go on a small boat of banana leaves.

This would be my choice as well.

Thanks for that helpful reply.

When a friend died he was cremated by using charcoal the temple has recently installed a brand new oven " top of the range " anyway going back to the friend once the ashes had cooled down they were placed in a black bin bag bones and all and given to the family who then went to the local fisherman who was paid a 1,000 baht to take the family out a mile or so where they emptied the remains of the bag into the nice warm waters of the gulf of Thailand ! Job done !

• Like 1

Why don't you ask the local people instead of trying to get information in a farang ghetto where nobody knows their ass from their elbow?

Good point, even if it was peevishly expressed.

I did, as a matter of fact, make inquiries of Thais, but the replies were the predictable extremes of contradiction. Everything from "Hahm det kaht" to "Sa-by mahk... my mee pahn-hah".

The TVCM Forum is, as you say, a "farang ghetto" of sorts, but there are many members who have been here awhile and are quite knowledgeable.

It's often entertaining as well. That's why I posted.

If you want to do it ,go for it,its just after your dead and cremated,

are you sure that the person you entrust the job to,will actually do

it,but it wont matter as you wont know anyway.

I want to be buried,but the wife says she will cremate my body,see

you have no say when your gone.anybody know cost and if any plots

available at the foreign cemetery ?

regards worgeordie

My wife wanted to cremate me, but we sorted out our differences and now she's quite happy for me to go on living, for now. The last I heard was that plots at the Foreigners cemetery were about 10,000 baht, but I can't remember who the contact was. A query to the Gymkhana Facebook page may get an answer.

Whenever I pass the place I always think of one of the two jokes that my father had. Passing the cemetery in Walton, he ALWAYS said 'did you know that's the dead centre of Liverpool?".

And the Little Johnny late for school joke:

Teacher: "Johnny, why are you late?"

Johnny:" Sorry miss, my Daddy got burned".

Teacher: "Oh, was it serious?"

Johnny: "Well they don't f *** about at these crematoriums you know".

Sizes

I presume a 15,000 baht plot is at least as big as a coffin.

Any idea how big a plot is to accommodate a small urn, or do they allow for bones?

It's generous to let us buy land for the purpose of dying (or is it just leased)?

I could care less what happens to my body after I've finished with it. Whatever costs someone the least amount of money is fine with me.

I agree. Funerals/cremations are for the living. Funeral Directors never receive complaints from the deceased :)

Two men were playing golf when a funeral procession passed. One of them took his hat off, lowered his head and said a small prayer.

His partner said "My word, that was very respectful of you".

He answered "Well we were married for 35 years".

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

Donate you body to Chiang Mai University Medical School. 053-945318

Let somebody play with your pecker one last time.

I think this is a very sensible suggestion. We have done the same and it was explained to me by a senior teaching doctor at CMU that it is so important for trainee doctors to 'practise' on a real body and not some plastic skeleton/cadaver. They are very grateful and its free-but over a certain age they get a bit choosy. I hope to live past that age (whatever it is) in which case bbq at the local wat is fine by me.

For those interested, you just visit the Body Donation Room at CMU, sign the papers, have a mugshot, and they give you a photocard, in the hope that if you die, it will be found in your wallet while your body is still relatively 'fresh'. They will collect you free within a certain radius-even cheaper than a songthaew for your final journey...

• Like 1

Two men were playing golf when a funeral procession passed. One of them took his hat off, lowered his head and said a small prayer.

His partner said "My word, that was very respectful of you".

He answered "Well we were married for 35 years".

That may be a s true as the story of the uk cops doing a drugs bust in Essex.

The cop took the lid off a small pot on the mantle piece and said 'what's that?'

'Charlie' came the reply.

So he licked his finger, dipped it it the powder to check that it really was cocaine.

Turned out it was the ashes of Charlie, the family's pet dog.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have seen Thai family's a few day's after a cremation meeting up with the monk and the ashes of the family member that was cremated next to the Ping river to let the ashes wrapped in a white cloth go on a small boat of banana leaves.

This would be my choice as well.

Yes I would imagine a Thai would like a little ceremony.

Donate you body to Chiang Mai University Medical School. 053-945318

Let somebody play with your pecker one last time.

I think this is a very sensible suggestion. We have done the same and it was explained to me by a senior teaching doctor at CMU that it is so important for trainee doctors to 'practise' on a real body and not some plastic skeleton/cadaver. They are very grateful and its free-but over a certain age they get a bit choosy. I hope to live past that age (whatever it is) in which case bbq at the local wat is fine by me.

For those interested, you just visit the Body Donation Room at CMU, sign the papers, have a mugshot, and they give you a photocard, in the hope that if you die, it will be found in your wallet while your body is still relatively 'fresh'. They will collect you free within a certain radius-even cheaper than a songthaew for your final journey...

Well that certainly took a load off of my mind.tongue.png It would be interesting to know the age as they will not take blood from any one who is over 60. I believe that there are quite a few bones left over or pieces of them. Not sure how they handle them. Might not allow them to be thrown in to the river. seems to me someone said there was a place in some of the temples to store them.

Sizes

I presume a 15,000 baht plot is at least as big as a coffin.

Any idea how big a plot is to accommodate a small urn, or do they allow for bones?

It's generous to let us buy land for the purpose of dying (or is it just leased)?

CEMETERY RULES.doc