Commercial milk for hobby cheese making?

Crossy

I fancy having a go at making cheese (particularly mozzarella).

We don't have any dairy farms nearby so I'll have to buy packaged milk from Tesco.

Anyone tried DIY cheese with supermarket milk? Which brands worked best (or even at all)?

• Like 1

Get the fattest and pasteurized milk, had a good ricotta and yoghurt, not tried the mozzarella yet .

There is a guy that started producing them locally, i think its called "Casaro" or something similar, in Hua Hin if i remember it right.

Crossy, an English friend of mine (we were once related by marriage) makes cheese in sufficient quantities to now sell to shops. I could check with him about what milk he uses and where he gets it. He makes different styles - I've only tried his cheddar and it's quite nice. Or, for a small incentive, I could steal all of his secrets as he likes to come round to my house every now and then with a large bottle of whiskey, soda and ice.

• Like 1

Get the fattest and pasteurized milk, had a good ricotta and yoghurt, not tried the mozzarella yet .

There is a guy that started producing them locally, i think its called "Casaro" or something similar, in Hua Hin if i remember it right.

It's Del Casaro and their ricotta and mascarpone are first rate. There is a milk from Foremost called "Yummy" and I think it's 8% milkfat. Probably best just to use whole milk to make the mozzarella and not this supercharged stuff. It is delicious, though.

• 3 weeks later...
CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Facebook link is wrong sorry.

facebook.com/mediteranean.kitchen

For Crossy

Supermarket milk my not work because the pasteurization temp might be to high.for what i was told here in thai there bring it up to 74c that is high and the demineralization is starting.

You will have to try,ad calcium chloride if the milk wont curdle .

For cheese making usually if you pasteurize you bring the milk only to 62-65 and keep it there for 20-30 min.that is enough to kill the pathogens.

Yeah, that's the issue that the cheese-making sites all cite, too high a pasteurisation temp and it doesn't separate properly, I'll have to try some experiments.

If it could get milk straight from the cow that would be great (used to get it in the UK, best tasting milk ever).

other suggestion stay away from citric acid that is a industrial shortcut.For good mozz u need natural yoghurt,ad 2% to the milk

u might have to make your own too as most of them here contain sugar,If you don't want to make it i would try Yolida from Macro.

• 2 months later...

Just tried my first attemp using thai supermarket milk :(

I was gonna go for Meiji milk then I spotted whole milk from chokchai farm. First time I ever saw it on sale and was ecstatic as I was sure it is superior from all the rave reviews I heard about it.

But I guess they heat it too much to pasteurize is as it didn't coagulate.

Poured back in the bottles and chilled for my cats lol

then I spotted whole milk from chokchai farm. First time I ever saw it on sale and was ecstatic as I was sure it is superior from all the rave reviews I heard about it.

Been to that farm years ago, it was a big disappointment.

None of their products was any better than what else you can find around, i had (much) better meat on the seaside (!) and the single glass of milk they sell for more than the money needed to buy a whole litre from another brand was like water......