British Government Visa rant (Update)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell your girlfriend to cover up her tattoo.smile.png

The family visa is a wise choice.

Get a relative to write an email inviting you to stay with them and print that out.

Thaks for the advice, but I think you are mistaken, I am taking my wife with me this time. The next trip is for my girlfriendsmile.png

Last attempt did include a letter from my sister who we will be staying with. I will be sure to attach it again.

• Like 1

Posted by Thaimite -- " ... I did not do that in the past as my wife has no family in the UK other than by our marriage .... "

The Gov.UK website defines a Family Visit Visa applicant's family as, among other people, " ... your spouses or civil partners siblings or parents ...". If you have any parents, brothers or sisters in UK still, then she can apply for a FVV.

A FVV used to be open to appeal if the application failed whereas a General VV wasn't. I think neither can be appealed if rejected, now, but possibly I'm wrong on that.

A written invite from a family member, as above, will certainly work but I think a handwritten or typed & signed letter, rather than printed-off e-mail would be better. You can write the draft letter yourself, e-mail it across & have them return the signed version in the post - hope you have time for that. Also get a copy of the passport photo page of the person doing the inviting, to show they're British or entitled to be in UK - since she had no PP at the time, my sister provided a driving licence copy in the past. If it helps, I've attached a copy of the standard Letter of Support I send to my family when we visit. Modify it for your own use if you want to.

Reason for return is important & can be difficult. Saying you live in Thailand with your wife & have done for yonks, don't want to move back to UK, don't want to jeopardise future visa apps. all add strength to your app. Financials are essential of course, with any employment records, land ownership docs. etc. for your wife that might be relevant.

I think VFS will refuse to accept that kitchen sink, you know. Best not to cart it all that way!!

Also, tell your wife that ALL documents you give to VFS MUST be submitted with the application. It's been known for them to remove docs. that THEY don't consider relevant & give them back to the applicant, only for the app. to be refused because of missing docs,. It's your wife's app. and it's her decision (with your help) what goes into the app. Drum it into her that ALL docs. you submit MUST be submitted. It's not the place of VFS to decide what is sent to the Visa Office.

Translations - you can go to a translation agency if you want to but we always use my wife's friend who's an English teacher. Her translations have never been queried. You don't need a "professional" translator, just a competent person who can give a name, address & contact details.

Hope I've covered everything.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Posted by Thaimite -- " ... I did not do that in the past as my wife has no family in the UK other than by our marriage .... "

The Gov.UK website defines a Family Visit Visa applicant's family as, among other people, " ... your spouses or civil partners siblings or parents ...". If you have any parents, brothers or sisters in UK still, then she can apply for a FVV.

A FVV used to be open to appeal if the application failed whereas a General VV wasn't. I think neither can be appealed if rejected, now, but possibly I'm wrong on that.

A written invite from a family member, as above, will certainly work but I think a handwritten or typed & signed letter, rather than printed-off e-mail would be better. You can write the draft letter yourself, e-mail it across & have them return the signed version in the post - hope you have time for that. Also get a copy of the passport photo page of the person doing the inviting, to show they're British or entitled to be in UK - since she had no PP at the time, my sister provided a driving licence copy in the past. If it helps, I've attached a copy of the standard Letter of Support I send to my family when we visit. Modify it for your own use if you want to.

Reason for return is important & can be difficult. Saying you live in Thailand with your wife & have done for yonks, don't want to move back to UK, don't want to jeopardise future visa apps. all add strength to your app. Financials are essential of course, with any employment records, land ownership docs. etc. for your wife that might be relevant.

I think VFS will refuse to accept that kitchen sink, you know. Best not to cart it all that way!!

Also, tell your wife that ALL documents you give to VFS MUST be submitted with the application. It's been known for them to remove docs. that THEY don't consider relevant & give them back to the applicant, only for the app. to be refused because of missing docs,. It's your wife's app. and it's her decision (with your help) what goes into the app. Drum it into her that ALL docs. you submit MUST be submitted. It's not the place of VFS to decide what is sent to the Visa Office.

Translations - you can go to a translation agency if you want to but we always use my wife's friend who's an English teacher. Her translations have never been queried. You don't need a "professional" translator, just a competent person who can give a name, address & contact details.

Hope I've covered everything.

Good luck.

Thank you VERY much for your kind help and advice. I think I already had everything covered except the copy of my sister's passport with her letter of invite and insisting that my wife insists that all documents I provide her get submitted. Last time I gave her 2 envelopes one of originals and one of copies and I believe some of the copies were not accepted.

I have given up on the kitchen sink idea as I believe the airline wil not transport it and the VFS centre will not let me bring in an object of mass detergent. I will just have to try and tap some other resource and ensure that all holes in my application have been plugged.

I just hope I don't get that sinking feeling after my wife's application has been assessed.

As this thread really is about a second visa application and, not as the title suggests, a rant against the British Government, I have moved it to the Visa Forum.

Please keep responses on the subject of the second visa application.

• Like 1

I read your "Rant" with sympathy. I had the same feelings when our first application was rejected...

" How dare they say that a law abiding tax paying British citizen not take his Thai (then) girlfriend (now wile) to the UK for a visit"

I learned that you mustn't assume that the ECO will use common logic in assessing the information provided.(as you discovered with your bank statements)

In that first application we included photos of us together. My camera at the time did not gate stamp the pictures so I went through them writing the date and location an the back. The rejection said that the photos were not dated...because I didn't say that the info was on the reverse side.

My wife had visited friends in Australia at their invitation whilst I was back in the UK, so I included copies of the visa and details of her dates to show that she had complied with the visa conditions. The rejection was critical that she visited Australia via another sponsor during our relationship ... because we didn't give details of her friends there.

If you want the ECO to draw a certain conclusion, tell them .

We have has three further application approved...

"Nill illegitimi carborundum "

I wish you best of luck. You keep saying though "an interview". Your wife will only be dropping off her documents and you will not be allowed into this area while she does this, there is no interview. As far as a family visa is concerned I think that you can apply for a family or general visit visa. In your case however I would have thought that as she has no immediate family and you are travelling with her that a general visit visa is more appropriate in your case. Fingers crossed for you

There is little difference between the two. VFS tried to get my wife to change to family but we stuck with the general.

There a couple of points that you should bear in mind.

In line 120 of the application there is a place for additional information. You should include all documents that you wish to submit. It looks like there is not much room but if you keep typing it scrolls on. You can keep amending the application up until you print the final copy.

One of the main criteria is showing an intention to return to Thailand. You should write a letter supporting the application and include an overview of the relationship and point out that you live in Thailand and that your home is there. This is merely a short trip to the UK to attend a family wedding.

I always book and pay for airfares and hotels before the application and point that out in the letter. I can understand some reluctance to do this so you could always include where you intend to stay.

The letter used to be a requirement before they decided to make everything quite vague.

No doubt you have learned something from previous experience so good luck. There is absolutely no valid reason why the application should not be successful

I wish you best of luck. You keep saying though "an interview". Your wife will only be dropping off her documents and you will not be allowed into this area while she does this, there is no interview. As far as a family visa is concerned I think that you can apply for a family or general visit visa. In your case however I would have thought that as she has no immediate family and you are travelling with her that a general visit visa is more appropriate in your case. Fingers crossed for you

When my wife made the last application in December I booked the appointment as normal. When we turned up she was told that they were not doing interviews as there was no internet but she could go through and hand in the documents. She was told to reschedule the interview which she tried to do there and then but was not allowed, can only be done online. They took the telephone number and said they would phone if the internet became available. They did in fact phone about 11,30 but we were back at Bearing BTS and could not get back to Regent House before they closed at 12.00.

Fortunately my wife was attending a seminar in BKK the following Wednesday and we managed to get a further appointment that afternoon. When she turned up for the appointment they said they had been over the application and just needed some clarification. I had put down that the main reason for the trip was that we could attend an RAF 50 year reunion, I joined up Jan 64, and they did not understand what this meant. My wife explained and then she was told that there would not be any problem with the visa as I lived in Thailand.

My wife had requested delivery to her office and it turned up one week later.

Sandy I know we are going a bit off topic here but VFS do not do interviews. All that happens is biometrics are taken, documents are handed in, maybe a few queries about what documents are being handed in thats it. No interview on General or Family visa applications.

Sandy I know we are going a bit off topic here but VFS do not do interviews. All that happens is biometrics are taken, documents are handed in, maybe a few queries about what documents are being handed in thats it. No interview on General or Family visa applications.

In my book if VFS call it an interview, then that is what it is. You are free to call it what you like. Looks like the terminology brigade are out again.

This used to be on the website, worth taking a note of.

Spouse/Partner of British Citizen (Based in Thailand) going to the UK for a visit (family visit) – Check List
No.Type of document
1 Completed VAF 1
2 One recent passport-sized photographs (Please view the @Photo Specs’ for exact specifications) Please note- unsuitable photos will only delay your application
3 Current valid passport (if non-Thai national, showing current Thai immigration status) with a blank page to insert visa
4 Thai identity card (photocopy)
5 Letter of explanation from spouse/partner outlining relationship/circumstances in Thailand etc.
6 A copy of UK spouse/partner’s passport which include the biodata and all immigration record pages
7 Evidence of spouse’s ability to return to Thailand (e.g. employment contract in Thailand/letter from employer confirming employment in Thailand and visa)
8 Your 6-month bank statements and if sponsor by spouse/partner, a copy of their six months bank statement
9 Sponsored visits – If another person sponsors your trip (other than your spouse) we must see the following documents- letter from the sponsor, a copy of their passport which include the biodata, their bank statements for the last 6 months
10 Marriage Certificate (if in a foreign language other than Thai, a certified copy is required)
11 All previous passports
12 Visa fee
13 Any other documents in support of your application
  • Like 1

If accompanying a British spouse to the UK, whether to visit the spouse's family or not, then technically it is a family visit which should be applied for.

Although as the government have now abolished the right of appeal for family visit refusals, it makes no real difference whether one applies for a family or general visit visa.

thaimite; I hope this time you have provided bank statements which actually have your name, or the name of the account holder, on them!

Ditto with all your other supporting documents; make sure the relevant name is on them.

Had you done so last time I am 100% sure that your wife would have got her visa. As you admitted yourself in your previous 'rant', the lack of a name on the bank statements was the main (only?) reason for rejection of that application.

In my book if VFS call it an interview, then that is what it is. You are free to call it what you like. Looks like the terminology brigade are out again.
With respect it's nothing to do with " the terminology brigade" it's whether VFS staff are tasked to carry out interviews of applicants or not, the fact is they do not interview applicants and neither do they have the authority to do so.

Many members come to this forum for advice and guidance in respect of applications for numerous countries, they hope to get advice on the rules in line with current regulations, not people's perceptions of the rules, based on what happened to them.

If we advise those seeking advice that applicants will be interviewed by locally employed VFS staff they may well prepare for this interview and could possibly take their foot off the pedal in respect of the actual application.

You seem to think that I was calling your wife a liar in an earlier thread, I wasn't. I wasn't there when your wife submitted her application, and I suspect neither were you present at the counter. I don't doubt that your wife perceived that the VFS staff, who were checking the documents, were interviewing her, but they weren't.

So please, let's stick to the facts with regard to the official procedures.

Why do so many wives and girlfriends refer to the interview? It is certainly nothing to do with this forum. Wether you like it or not it comes from the VFS staff. Just a fact, not perception.

Until VFS change their ways there will always be talk about the interview.

• Like 1

With respect it's nothing to do with " the terminology brigade" it's whether VFS staff are tasked to carry out interviews of applicants or not, the fact is they do not interview applicants and neither do they have the authority to do so.

Many members come to this forum for advice and guidance in respect of applications for numerous countries, they hope to get advice on the rules in line with current regulations, not people's perceptions of the rules, based on what happened to them.

If we advise those seeking advice that applicants will be interviewed by locally employed VFS staff they may well prepare for this interview and could possibly take their foot off the pedal in respect of the actual application.

You seem to think that I was calling your wife a liar in an earlier thread, I wasn't. I wasn't there when your wife submitted her application, and I suspect neither were you present at the counter. I don't doubt that your wife perceived that the VFS staff, who were checking the documents, were interviewing her, but they weren't.

So please, let's stick to the facts with regard to the official procedures.

Why do so many wives and girlfriends refer to the interview? It is certainly nothing to do with this forum. Wether you like it or not it comes from the VFS staff. Just a fact, not perception.

You just can't let go, can you.

It is NOT an interview. It is a meeting to submit documents and take biometrics. VFS staff are not qualified to do an interview they sre simply agents of the British Embassy and pass on the applications to an ECO.

You stubbornness is now coming over as ignorance - listen to those who know better.

This is / is not an interview confusion may well be responsible for some of my issues. My wife had original passports, bankbooks and other things with her which obviously the VFS paid no attention to, and the judgement was based solely on the handed over copies which as I have already admitted had some items missing. I naively thought that the VFS having made us travel all the way to BKK would at least tick some boxes from the supplied original documents. This was obliviously NOT the case.

Thank you sandyf for your helpful definitive list of the minimum documentation requirements. It will be a big help to myself and others.

This is / is not an interview confusion may well be responsible for some of my issues. My wife had original passports, bankbooks and other things with her which obviously the VFS paid no attention to, and the judgement was based solely on the handed over copies which as I have already admitted had some items missing. I naively thought that the VFS having made us travel all the way to BKK would at least tick some boxes from the supplied original documents. This was obliviously NOT the case.

Thank you sandyf for your helpful definitive list of the minimum documentation requirements. It will be a big help to myself and others.

I repeat my good wishes to you for this time round.

My issue with your original post was that you were ill-prepared and were blaming others for something that was your (your wife as applicant) responsibility to understand. The information that sandyf posted is readily available on the website and is easy to follow. I have been involved in 4 successful visa applications (including one obtained within 24 hours) and I am certain that my success would not have been achieved if I had not invested a considerable amount of time reading Thai Visa threads about the subject.

That is all history and we are now aware that VFS staff are only employed to process the paperwork and take biometrics - everything else stands on the merits of the application when it gets to the ECO. If anyone is uncertain (and some people just can't handle paperwork and officialdom) then there is the option of employing an agent. I know some people who will manage the application for a fee as little as 5,000 Baht.

If you ever need to renew a UK passport from Thailand - read and understand the website and look at the Thai Visa threads.

Good luck, I hope you make it to the wedding.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment. I have done it a few times and provided nothing changes it does get easier. Unfortunately a recent change in circumstances may cause a problem next time round.

Good luck this time around.

<snip>

VFS do not, and never have, interview UK visa applicants; doing so is way outside their remit.

If VFS staff refer to the process as an interview then they are, again, acting well outside their remit and the embassy should be advised of this.

Although applicants may feel that the process is an interview (anyone know the difference in Thai between 'interview' and 'appointment'?), it is not.

VFS can advise an applicant that some documents are not required; but if the applicant wishes they must forward those documents to the embassy with the rest of the application.

They can also advise if they believe documents are missing; but, again, must forward the application without them if the applicant wishes.

Official UKVI guidance, including that on the application form itself, make it clear that original documents are required; with copies if you want the originals returned.

Although for some, such as the applicant's I.D. card and sponsor's passport, self certified copies are sufficient.

VFS staff know this, and I am at a loss to explain why they only accepted copies, not the originals as well; maybe the system has changed recently and they do now check the copies and return the originals?

Even if they did check the copies against the originals, they would only have checked that original A had a copy A etc. They would not have checked that the copies were complete without important information, such as the account holder's name, missing! It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure the copies are complete.

I am not posting all this, and my other posts on your wife's situation, to have a go at you or your wife or to defend VFS; I am posting to ensure that other's reading this learn from your mistakes.

Just to add to the above, they certainly "screened" my wife's documents a month ago.

Although she was willing to submit the original wedding certificate and registration, they said that the colour copies of them along with colour copies of the certified translations would be enough, which does go against the UKVI guidance and was a bit of a worry for me at the time.

Copies of her blue house book and ID Card were submitted.

They did take all 3 passports, her new one, the recently expired normal passport and her still valid Government Official version in which she has a US Visa.

She got back all 3 passports and somewhat strangely the A4 contact sheet of 11 pictures of us together.

She got a 6 month family visit visa.

• Like 1

Showing originals and handing in a copy (or let the visa centre copy it) would seem like the most customer friendly approach. No fear of lissing or damaging originals, no costs for fancy stamps.

Even better would be being able to contact the embassy itself for more competent processing of an application. Sadly customer service and effectiveness don't seem to be the highest priority, reducing costs for the (UK but you can see other countries doing the same) autorities seem to be the priority. Never mind the money visitors will spent or the more visitors you may get when its easier to get a visa.

As for an interview, perhaps asking 2-3 questions is seen as an interview by some: what's your name, travel purpose, what are tou applying for? I would't call that an interview but simply establishing why the applicant wants. Unless people are reporting back that they are asked far more detailed questions regarding the background of the applicant, their sponsor, intentions etc. Which wouldn't be approperiate.

If accompanying a British spouse to the UK, whether to visit the spouse's family or not, then technically it is a family visit which should be applied for.

Although as the government have now abolished the right of appeal for family visit refusals, it makes no real difference whether one applies for a family or general visit visa.

thaimite; I hope this time you have provided bank statements which actually have your name, or the name of the account holder, on them!

Ditto with all your other supporting documents; make sure the relevant name is on them.

Had you done so last time I am 100% sure that your wife would have got her visa. As you admitted yourself in your previous 'rant', the lack of a name on the bank statements was the main (only?) reason for rejection of that application.

Thaimite - does it feel like you have been told off by the teacher?

7 by 7 - of course he is going to make sure he puts his name on the bank statements this time!

Actually, if you read what Thaimite said in the original topic he eventually said that the ECO had questioned whether they would return to Thailand after the wedding.

This is supposition but personally I think that was the real issue of the refusal. The bank statements were probably just a peripheral point raised by the ECO. Many online statements don't print out the name of the account holder these days. Possible a security point from the banks. It happened to me for my wife's SV although I did include an original letter I got from the bank when I opened the account.

If there hadn't been the issue of returning to Thailand then I think the ECO would probably either have contacted the sponsor/applicant or just accepted it based on all the evidence supplied.

Thaimite - does it feel like you have been told off by the teacher?

7 by 7 - of course he is going to make sure he puts his name on the bank statements this time!

Actually, if you read what Thaimite said in the original topic he eventually said that the ECO had questioned whether they would return to Thailand after the wedding.

This is supposition but personally I think that was the real issue of the refusal. The bank statements were probably just a peripheral point raised by the ECO. Many online statements don't print out the name of the account holder these days. Possible a security point from the banks. It happened to me for my wife's SV although I did include an original letter I got from the bank when I opened the account.

If there hadn't been the issue of returning to Thailand then I think the ECO would probably either have contacted the sponsor/applicant or just accepted it based on all the evidence supplied.

I believe you may be right about the not returning to Thailand. How do you prove you will not be guilty of a crime in the future even if you have no intention of comitting it or any other crime? I have seen this same catch all statement on other visas applications many years ago. It seems to me to be a cop out that cannot be proven one way or the other.

For me personally As I said I have not been to the UK for about 17 or more years. I no longer have any property there, and my few friends are scattered so there is nothing there for me. My home and belongings are all here in Ubon and that is where I wish to remain. If my wife does get a visa it will ost likely be our one and only visit. There are so many new places to visit if we have the time and money

Durhamboy,

Reason to return was mentioned by thaimite as an afterthought; his original rant was about the ECO not accepting unmamded bank statements.

The refusal notice will have fully explained the reasons for refusal and why; but unless he posts the actual refusal notice these are known only to him, his wife and the ECO concerned.

Printouts of internet bank statements are not accepted unless accompanied by a letter from the bank authenticating them, as in your case, or each page is stamped as authentic by the bank.

In a settlement or PBS application the ECO can contact the applicant or sponsor for further evidence if needed.

They cannot do this in a visit application; they must, except in the most exceptional of circumstances, judge the application on the evidence submitted. It is not a case of the ECO choosing not to contact thaimite or his wife for more evidence; the rules do not allow them to do so.

ECB10.7 What to do if an applicant provides insufficient information

<snip>

I believe you may be right about the not returning to Thailand. How do you prove you will not be guilty of a crime in the future even if you have no intention of comitting it or any other crime? I have seen this same catch all statement on other visas applications many years ago. It seems to me to be a cop out that cannot be proven one way or the other.

For me personally As I said I have not been to the UK for about 17 or more years. I no longer have any property there, and my few friends are scattered so there is nothing there for me. My home and belongings are all here in Ubon and that is where I wish to remain. If my wife does get a visa it will ost likely be our one and only visit. There are so many new places to visit if we have the time and money

What evidence did you supply of your status in Thailand?

What, exactly, did the refusal notice say about returnability?