Bangkok: Wellknown ex-model Yooyee jailed 15 years for cocaine possession

webfact

Which is it? 251 grammes or 251 microgrammes.

I would suggest the punishment fits the former rather than the latter.

Dunno why she had to go all the way to Vietnam when you can get the stuff on Suk any night of the week.

I think its 250 gram,s and give away is the paragraph in article about the empty chocolate cardboard tube filled with Peruvian marching powder, if it was 250mg this paragraph would make no sense, but if it was 250gm it does make sense

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wellknown ex-model Yooyee jailed 15 years for cocaine possession

6-12-2014-12-11-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former model Yooyee was today (Thursday) sentenced to 15 years imprisonment and fined 1.5 million baht by the Criminal Court after she was fund guilty of illegal possession of illicit drugs for attempting to smuggle a small amount of cocaine into the country.

The ex-model, 40-year old Mrs Chatchaya Questa Ramos or Yooyee as she was wellknown in modeling circle, was arrested at Don Meuang airport’s arrival lounge as she checked in to enter the country. A search of her baggage unveiled 251 milligrammes of cocaine which was listed as Category 2 narcotic drug.

During the trial, Yooyee defended that the drug was meant for self consumption and not for sale. However, the court rejected her defence but still found her testimony beneficial.

The court first handed down a 20-year jailterm and a two-million baht fine on her but commuted the sentence to 15 years and 1.5 million baht fine due to her useful testimony.

Since Yooyee was given a three-month suspended jailterm for illegal possessing endangered species, the court added another three months on her 15 years imprisonment.

(photo : file photo from YouTube)

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wellknown-ex-model-yooyee-jailed-15-years-cocaine-possession/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-06-12

Seems a bit over the top but a silly risk. What was the endangered species?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What was the endangered species?

A red shirt?

I didn't realise that the redshirts caused this. I actually thought that thaksin and his redshirts were very anti drugs and carried out killings on those involved in drugs. Anyway blame her drugs on the redshirts

Posts in violation of the following forum rules have been removed:

2) Do not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Inappropriate sentencing for minor crimes...is a worldwide dilemma...there is no filter for a judges' subjective sentences...don't think that only Thailand's judges seem to be clueless...heartless...and out of touch with reality...don't even get me started with the laws and judgments meted out by Muslim countries...

Inappropriate sentencing for minor crimes...is a worldwide dilemma...there is no filter for a judges' subjective sentences...don't think that only Thailand's judges seem to be clueless...heartless...and out of touch with reality...don't even get me started with the laws and judgments meted out by Muslim countries...

Would you say the same thing if the 250mg turns out to be 250 gram's, a quarter kilo of nose candy ain't exactly minor is it ? And this applies to most countries, what would 8.8 oz of coke get you in the US or UK ?

I welcome the courts. People are now hunted down in the Northeast for drug dealings. Looks to me the military that took over is getting serious in busting the dealers.

I am sure in the near feature we will see capital punishments for some big dealers.

1/4KG would have given that ex model a death sentence in Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

many "hi-so", including foreign CEOs, and their pushers are getting hot feet. There's a message in the sentence.

Maybe. But on Thai Visa quite often there is no message in any sentences.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I welcome the courts. People are now hunted down in the Northeast for drug dealings. Looks to me the military that took over is getting serious in busting the dealers.

I am sure in the near feature we will see capital punishments for some big dealers.

1/4KG would have given that ex model a death sentence in Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.

A milligram isn't a gram, usually. Gotta have been 250 gms for sure.

Edited by Neurath

What I cant understand is why people want to do drugs.

Are their lives so shallow, so hopeless that they cant get anything out of life without drugging themselves ?

Or do they think somehow they cant have a good time without being drugged ?

Here we have a lady who had most everything in life, money, fame, ability to travel wherever she wanted and now she has stuffed her life up and for what, some quick thrill, I sure don't know.

The dealers seem to get the blame, they are only supplying a demand from the silly buggers who take the stuff.

Why is there a demand from the idiots that do it to themselves, I doubt many if any are forced to take the crap.

Ridiculous sentences get handed down every day in every country .

Just today in Sydney a taxi driver was given bail after charged with raping a ten year old hearing impaired repeatedly while she was in his care on the way to school .He was deemed not a threat to society.

One thing I do know when it comes to Thailand or other asian countries if you roll the dice with drugs the sentences are very harsh.

To plead ignorance is no excuse as the warnings and the consequences have been in the publics face for years.

No sympathy here!

I expect she will appeal...remain out on bail....and when the judicial dust settles years from now she'll probably end up with a suspended sentence and much smaller fine....I figure worst case a year or two in a low security prison.

She won't spend an day in jail. Only poor people go to jail in Thailand.

Are their lives so shallow, so hopeless that they cant get anything out of life without drugging themselves ?

Here we have a lady who had most everything in life, money, fame, ability to travel wherever she wanted and now she has stuffed her life up and for what, some quick thrill, I sure don't know.

The dealers seem to get the blame, they are only supplying a demand from the silly buggers who take the stuff.

Why is there a demand from the idiots that do it to themselves, I doubt many if any are forced to take the crap.

You mean like cafeine also? Get used to it - getting out of it is co-extensive with human civilisation, probably with human being.

Wellknown ex-model Yooyee jailed 15 years for cocaine possession

6-12-2014-12-11-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former model Yooyee was today (Thursday) sentenced to 15 years imprisonment and fined 1.5 million baht by the Criminal Court after she was fund guilty of illegal possession of illicit drugs for attempting to smuggle a small amount of cocaine into the country.

The ex-model, 40-year old Mrs Chatchaya Questa Ramos or Yooyee as she was wellknown in modeling circle, was arrested at Don Meuang airport’s arrival lounge as she checked in to enter the country. A search of her baggage unveiled 251 milligrammes of cocaine which was listed as Category 2 narcotic drug.

During the trial, Yooyee defended that the drug was meant for self consumption and not for sale. However, the court rejected her defence but still found her testimony beneficial.

The court first handed down a 20-year jailterm and a two-million baht fine on her but commuted the sentence to 15 years and 1.5 million baht fine due to her useful testimony.

Since Yooyee was given a three-month suspended jailterm for illegal possessing endangered species, the court added another three months on her 15 years imprisonment.

(photo : file photo from YouTube)

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wellknown-ex-model-yooyee-jailed-15-years-cocaine-possession/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-06-12

Seems a bit over the top but a silly risk. What was the endangered species?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What was the endangered species?

A red shirt?

I didn't realise that the redshirts caused this. I actually thought that thaksin and his redshirts were very anti drugs and carried out killings on those involved in drugs. Anyway blame her drugs on the redshirts

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process." E.B. White.

250mg of cocaine results in a sentence of 15 years in prison + 1.5M baht fine. What next? 1 microgram of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in urine after coming back from Colorado (where recreational consumption of cannabis is now legal) results in death sentence?

I can't find it now but there used to be a thread (pinned I think) about the dangers of going through some of the middle east airports. I seem to remember Abu Dhabi might have been the main one. Some guy was stopped with a cigarette butt stuck on his shoe with cannabis on it and another with a couple of poppy seeds from a bun eaten at Heathrow. They were both sentenced to fairly long terms although not anything like 15 years. think they were released eventually but not an experience I'd want to have.

I believe a lot of bank notes have cannabis on them as well.

Not that bad here thankfully.

Do you drink alcohol? Many people take illegal (or not illegal, depending on jurisdiction) drugs for precisely the same reasons as people drink alcohol. Life's not about an exercise of temperance for many people, it is quite possible to have an entirely fulfiilling life that includes consumption of drugs that some jurisdictions prohibit. Sucks getting caught with them in one though.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Showbusiness and drugs (in that order) had already destroyed this girl's life, and now the 'justice' logic is gonna make sure it's destroyed even further by throwing her in hell for 15 years. What a world we live in ...

Its 251 grams not milligrams, cocaine is sold by grams not milligram, when she said for her own consumption the court did not followed her! Simple!

Did you consider that she might have purchased a gram and consumed 3/4 of it?

It's surprising that there's no pointy-finger photo available to settle the matter of quantity.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I expect she will appeal...remain out on bail....and when the judicial dust settles years from now she'll probably end up with a suspended sentence and much smaller fine....I figure worst case a year or two in a low security prison.

She won't spend an day in jail. Only poor people go to jail in Thailand.

How do you know she is "rich" ?

Very good post, but you could also ask the same about alcohol and tobbaco, both, when abused can be addictive, as can many other prescribed drugs.

We all have choices she made hers she took the punt and got caught!

1979 KL as a young bloke I asked the question of a huge billboard leaving the airport what does death to dada mean?

The message and the laws for not only Thailand are plain and clear and you can try every way to get an argument to get around it but the fact is even the dumbest know what waits them if caught.

Same crime in other countries might be a slap on the wrist.

It's been advertised for nearly fifty years and makes the media time after time yet they still want to have a go.

Take it in your own country if that's your choice but always respect the laws of a foreign country?

She is lucky she didn't get caught in Malaysia, Death Penalty over there!

Or she might have been the GF of some malay prince and not need to bring any of it with her, plenty at home a LOT of hypocrisy in Muslim countries too, don't you know...? Cocaine has infected/infested the highest levels of society FIRST, because of its price and 'fashion' side, horrible what it can do to big takers, the more so to the people around them, but I don't recall any 'hi-so' in Europe f.i. who's not have had at least 'a few' lines, 'just to try what it does', except some 'spoil sports' like a few friends and me, who get less often invited, wonder why...