Phuket Airport Immigration - No Welcome for Tourists

simon43

and has been mentioned, arriving at HKT as an international, you come down the escalator into the immigration area and get your first glimpse of ques, ok, fair enough, but then you wait, and wait, and then you count the number of empty booths, and the amount of immigration officers doing Sweet FA, and the unpleasant, unfriendly attitude put forward by these people who for many are their first contact with Thai people.... a tad embarrassing really for Thailand, but hey who gives a to$$ as long as farang brings his (our - Thai) money, They can[t even stamp your passport in a decent fashion, in/out stamps should easily fit 4 lots neatly on one page, the average is three and sometimes down to two lots of stamps because they do an incorrect entry/date stamp, ammend and no apology... Cretins!

Some valid points. However, the hidden foul language and name calling degrades the post and questions the credibility of the composer IMO.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, this country needs all the genuine tourists that it can get. Processing of inbound passengers can be performed in a professional and polite manner by immigration officers, whilst applying the relevant immigration criteria firmly and fairly.

It seems that some immigration officers 'took the day off' from immigration school, and their lack of professionalism is no benefit to Thailand, especially in these 'interesting; times for the country.

• Like 2

Don't like the rule, don't come to Thailand.

That's a terrible attitude! You can argue until you are blue in the face about tourists should know better etc etc, but the bottom line is that other south-east Asian countries will welcome them (and their money) with open arms!

I flew to KL last month and am given a 90-day visa-exempt without any questions nor fingerprints. Just smiles........

Your wasting your time Simon, these guys will blame the victim no matter how much evidence that the lady was treated poorly.

The new scrutiny was to cull out visitors with multiple back to back entries, which clearly did not apply to this lady.

An even better rule would be to allow visitors one visit per life. Problem solved :)

Don't like the rule, don't come to Thailand.

That's a terrible attitude! You can argue until you are blue in the face about tourists should know better etc etc, but the bottom line is that other south-east Asian countries will welcome them (and their money) with open arms!

I flew to KL last month and am given a 90-day visa-exempt without any questions nor fingerprints. Just smiles........

Your wasting your time Simon, these guys will blame the victim no matter how much evidence that the lady was treated poorly.

The new scrutiny was to cull out visitors with multiple back to back entries, which clearly did not apply to this lady.

An even better rule would be to allow visitors one visit per life. Problem solved smile.png

Looking forward to the evidence the lady met the requirements on both visits and was treated poorly.

• Like 2

The General has more important matters than making sure foreign tourist are happy with immigration...I like the scrutiny of people coming into the country...should have been done long ago...it is good for the country to change its image...of allowing all manner of people a safe haven...

The OP mentioned this was the first-ever Thailand trip for this British woman.

So, even though she ended up doing a visa exempt entry followed by a same-day out-in visa exempt entry, any Immigration officer with a brain could clearly see from her passport that she wasn't an attempted long-stayer, illegal worker or serial visa runner.

Asking questions is a perfectly ordinary thing for Immigration to do. But hassling a first-time tourist over a second visa exempt entry -- if hassling is what occurred -- seems to have Immigration really missing the mark. They ought to be hassling those with passports full of back to back visa exempt entries, not this woman.

How long does one have to be away to count as a bona fide tourist for all those who are criticising the woman?

I presume they think my trip to Bali was ok as I stayed 5 days.

But what if i stayed three?

Or only one?

That's the problem. Other than it being pretty clear under the new "rules" that same day out-in visa exempt entries will be frowned upon, I haven't heard/seen anything from Immigration that addresses travel behavior like that that you were doing -- which ought to be perfectly acceptable, but now, who knows?

Surely if one has onward tickets that seem to show that one will be less than 90 days in the kingdom in a 6 month period, it is perfectly fine to do as many visa exempt entries as one wants in that time?

The no more than 90 days of visa exempt entries within 6 months rule no longer exists, and hasn't for some years. That standard no longer has any relevance.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

How long does one have to be away to count as a bona fide tourist for all those who are criticising the woman?

I presume they think my trip to Bali was ok as I stayed 5 days.

But what if i stayed three?

Or only one?

That's the problem. Other than it being pretty clear under the new "rules" that same day out-in visa exempt entries will be frowned upon, I haven't heard/seen anything from Immigration that addresses travel behavior like that that you were doing -- which ought to be perfectly acceptable, but now, who knows?

Even same day entries are acceptable, see the experience in this thread. She was scrutinised, but gained entry when it became clear she is a genuine tourist.

Not knowing the age bracket of the visitor is not helpful.

If the visitor is of working age and wants to stay a long time, if I were an immigration officer, I am sure I would suspect illegal working!

If the visitor was above retirement age, then probably not.

A couple of years ago, wearing a holiday head, I travelled to Thailand with a friend and got a 30 day visa waiver.

During that time I fell in love with Thailand and wanted to stay longer.

An expat who lives here took me to immigration and helped me apply for a 90 day No O visa.

Later, I applied for and got a one year extension based on retirement and subsequent extensions have been no problem.

Last week, following a family tragedy, my wife and I flew back to BKK.

Arriving at about 6 am, the lines at immigration were almost empty.

We went to the Thai entry part, my wife entered via the automated system, I needed to see an officer.

I had put the visa number on the arrival card rather than the permitted to stay number.

My evesight is not that good and I couldn't easily read the number.

The officer obligingly made the correction for me.

Nothing but smiles - as usual.

On exit one time, there was a problem with data about me and their computer, I was asked to sit down and wait whilst it was sorted out. Again smiles.

Could the immigration officer be responding to the emotional state of the visitor?

Perhaps many visitors do not know that confrontation with a Thai is a BIG no no?

Smiles usually beget smiles - well it seems to work for me, even under difficult circumstances.

• Like 1

Immigration officers in Phuket are a pretty surly lot for the most part, with the occasional friendly officer that either just got a promotion or was just transferred here. They love exercising their two minutes of power, and now with the new guidelines, I can only imagine it getting worse.

I have witnessed this surly behavior by immigration officials on a number of occasions and it really is pathetic.

A small group of young Japanese males waited in the queue and when the first one got to the desk he obviously hadn't completed the form correctly so the official gesticulated madly at him to go away, no explanation given. The guy turned to others in the group and they had no idea what to do, so another approached and was also given short shrift. He then angrily shooed them away and they had no idea what to do.

I watched a young French lady also get shooed away all because of a signature, so she duly stepped back a little and signed the form and reapproached the official, who would not have anything to do with her, motioning her angrily to the back of the very long queue.

It also happened to me when the official wanted to see my arrival/dep card when I was going overseas and barked a question at me. I told her it was in the passport, so she flicked through it and said it wasn't, telling me I was wrong and in no uncertain terms, very rude in fact. So I took the passport back and opened it up at the page where it had been previously stapled by immigration, and she snatched it back, growled at me and let me through.

These officials are an embarrassment to Thailand and the human race in general.

I think it is pathetic that someone can't correctly fill in the form before going to immigration and cause a lot of delay. You have loads of time in the plane to ask someone to help you.

I'm sure charter planes out of Moscow, full of Russians, and charter planes out of Beijing, full of Chinese, would have meny people onboard familiar with the Roman alphabet, and English, available to help. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

From this in the OP "knowing that her 30-day stamp was due to expire, she took a daytrip today to KL, including a prebooked tour of some caves near to KL airport." it seems quite clear to me that she did not.

Simon did say "On her return late this afternoon, she (and others in the immigration line) were 'grilled' by the immigration officer. She had to show her hotel booking, ticket out of the country etc." so I have to assume she did indeed have a return ticket when she flew out of England to Thailand, else she would not have been allowed to board the flight to Thailand.

This entry she did, was questioned and met the requirements, a.o. by having a ticket, so was allowed to enter. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Maybe the attitude of the officer was a bit rude, no idea.

And if she was a backpacker, and planned to catch the bus from Chiang Mai across to Udon Thani, then to Nong Khai and across Friendship Bridge into Laos, thus, no air ticket out of Thailand, where would that have left her - possibly detained and deported, and why, because she was leaving Thailand by bus, and not by air.

What does an air ticket out of Thailand prove anyway - nothing.

it can provide evidence that the tourist will leave the country within 30 days if you expect a 30 day visa exempt stamp at immigration.

If you want to tour around the various localities then get a tourist visa. For the vast majority of people who want to spend a couple of weeks in Thailand the visa exemption is all that is required.

I would hazard a guess that most or many longer term "tourists" using this system are just rorting the system and are now being found out and refused re-entry and rightly so

"it can provide evidence that the tourist will leave the country within 30 days" - not really. All it shows is a tourist has an air ticket in their name. It could even be a 1500 baht AirAsia air ticket out of Thailand, which, if bought on sale, is mostly tax, which is refunded if you cancel the flight.

"If you want to tour around the various localities then get a tourist visa." - I had no idea you were not allowed to travel around Thailand on a 30 visa exemption stamp. Please quote you source.

"I would hazard a guess that most or many longer term "tourists" using this system are just rorting the system and are now being found out and refused re-entry and rightly so." - what system are they "rorting" if they are under 50 years of age, self funded and not married to a Thai? There is no legitimate visa for them. If anything, this demographic of tourist/expat are the ones being rorted by outdated visa laws.

One question which is puzzling me: For visa free entry, a plane ticket out of Thailand is required. But what is the rule about the latest allowed date of the ticket? Should it be within the 30 days, or is it cool for a backpacker doing an extended Southeast Asia tour to have a ticket from Bangkok to let's say London one year down the road? Reading the opening post, one would tend to conclude this lady made her first visa free entry holding a ticket back to the UK on a date exceeding the 30 days period.

Edited by keestha

One question which is puzzling me: For visa free entry, a plane ticket out of Thailand is required. But what is the rule about the latest allowed date of the ticket? Should it be within the 30 days, or is it cool for a backpacker doing an extended Southeast Asia tour to have a ticket from Bangkok to let's say London one year down the road? Reading the opening post, one would tend to conclude this lady made her first visa free entry holding a ticket back to the UK on a date exceeding the 30 days period.

Same question can be asked with visa extemption stamps and the 60 day tourist visa.

What if the tourist has an air ticket out for day 36, with full knowledge they will extend their visa exemption stamp by the 7 days, or, an air ticket out for day 89, knowing they will extend their 60 days by the permitted 1 month?

Should officially be within 30 days.

Should officially be within 30 days.

Yes, it's a great system they have here.

Another one of those laws that don't make sense, yet some seek to defend. biggrin.png

You guys realise that air ticket dates can be changed, right?

Yes, and can be canceled and refunded, or even not used, if a cheap budget airline ticket, at very little loss to the purchaser, but, apparently, this is "evidence" you are going to leave Thailand, and not overstay and/or work. cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan

A lot of people are missing the point of the original post. The poor attitude of the Immigration official was very offputting to the lady. She may not be a seasoned world traveler , could be quite nervous and to have Immigration be very rude with her can be very stressful. Ask me how I know. Every time I go to the US I get the third degree and get treated like a criminal by Immigration for no reason...now, whenever I enter the Immigration lineup upon arrival in the US I am scared. I never experience this in Europe or in Asia, only the US for some reason. For someone who doesn't travel much it can be very scary to have Immigration be so angry and rude. It just isn't necessary. There is a way to ask questions without being rude and angry.

• Like 1

Heart of the matter: the system should be reformed in such a way that genuine tourists are not forced to do visa runs. Easy to say they should just get a tourist visa, but not everybody is so well informed/internet savvy/fluent in English.

Heart of the matter: the system should be reformed in such a way that genuine tourists are not forced to do visa runs. Easy to say they should just get a tourist visa, but not everybody is so well informed/internet savvy/fluent in English.

Why is a genuine tourist doing a visa run ?...... I mean seriously A tourist can get a multi entry tourist visa that will allow a fairly long stay in the kingdom..... how many genuine tourist's go on holidays for months at a time ?

• Like 2

Why is a genuine tourist doing a visa run ?...... I mean seriously A tourist can get a multi entry tourist visa that will allow a fairly long stay in the kingdom..... how many genuine tourist's go on holidays for months at a time ?

"how many genuine tourist's go on holidays for months at a time ?" - well, how about backpackers?

Then, there are employees that have a lot of free time, such as contract workers, FIFO (fly-in/fly-out) oil and gas workers, school teachers, wealthy individuals, property owners, company owners etc etc.

If these people like Thailand, and want to "reside" in Thailand in between assignments/working, what's wrong with a visa class for them, provided they meet certain requirements, that allows them multiple entries over a longer period of time?

"how many genuine tourist's go on holidays for months at a time ?" - well, how about backpackers?

Then, there are employees that have a lot of free time, such as contract workers, FIFO (fly-in/fly-out) oil and gas workers, school teachers, wealthy individuals, property owners, company owners etc etc.

If these people like Thailand, and want to "reside" in Thailand in between assignments/working, what's wrong with a visa class for them, provided they meet certain requirements, that allows them multiple entries over a longer period of time?

I think you are missing the point. Just because you have some money and free time doesn't mean that you have the right to go anywhere that you please. Thailand has the right to make rules to limit who can enter the country and for how long.

There are longer visa classes...marriage or retirement. Those are the people that the government has decided they will allow to stay in THEIR country.

I think you are missing the point. Just because you have some money and free time doesn't mean that you have the right to go anywhere that you please. Thailand has the right to make rules to limit who can enter the country and for how long.

There are longer visa classes...marriage or retirement. Those are the people that the government has decided they will allow to stay in THEIR country.

So, a guy like Mark Zuckerberg, one of the world's youngest billionaires, and founder of Facebook, would not be allowed to live here because he is under 50 and not married to a Thai, therefore, must be working illegally.

Sounds reasonable to me. cheesy.gif

So, a guy like Mark Zuckerberg, one of the world's youngest billionaires, and founder of Facebook, would not be allowed to live here because he is under 50 and not married to a Thai, therefore, must be working illegally.

Yes. He can come to visit as a tourist but not to live.

Yes. He can come to visit as a tourist but not to live.

Why not?

Why wouldn't Thailand like some of his millions, just because he is under 50 or not married to a Thai?

As long as you can show hotel reservation and flight ticket out of Thailand , I don't see the problem here. Immigration is only doing their job as they have been told by the military. Just make sure to have your documents ready .

As long as you can show hotel reservation and flight ticket out of Thailand , I don't see the problem here. Immigration is only doing their job as they have been told by the military. Just make sure to have your documents ready .

How many backpackers roll up to Khao San Road in Bangkok and walk around looking for a cheap room?

Most have a return ticket back to their home country dated 6 to 12 months later - so, no good for Thai Immigration.

They do not have the necessary documents. Should they be let into Thailand, or not?

Also, the "flashpacker" is becoming quite popular now. That is an older, more wealthier, backpacker. Usually a professional, or sometimes a divorcee, having a year off work. These people appear at Immigration looking like they have very little money, due to their backpacker appearance, but in fact, they stay in hotels and eat and drink well. Should they be let into Thailand, or not?

I would not be surprised if the lady in the OP was flashpacker.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1