Taxis in Chiang Mai for a newbie

intel4004

Having just moved to Chiang Mai and living out in World Club Land (about 6 miles out the Hang Dong road) for a few months and I'm trying to make sense of the various types of taxis.

The red song thaews, are they on fixed routes? Typically how much do would I be charged to get into the old town (moat perimeter) from where I am? I've heard they go up into the mountains as well, is it to night markets? If I stop one how do I know what they will charge or where they are going as I presume they don't speak english.

Do the I need to worry about tuk tuks being as far from town as I am or do they just operate in the centre?

There also seems to be more modern yellow/blue/red taxis operating and would assume their fares are higher.

Thanks

The yellow ones have set fares depending on the distance, same for thais and farang. The last time I used them they started at 7 baht. They run on set route chiang mai gate to hang dong maybe further. If you live near the hang dong road to catch one this will be the cheap way to and from chiang mai gate. From there you may need red songtao or tuk tuk which will charge more.

The yellow songtao will probably be the cheapest transport in chiang mai. Set fares for everyone on a board, no hassel. Then when you get to CM gate the tuk tuk will want 150 baht to take you a further km! The red songtao will want whatever he can get. Flag another , another till you fing a normal one. It's all downhill after the yellow ones.

• Like 1

1) Red song thawes are not taxis. Generally red song thaews are not on fixed routes. Disregard other farangs claim to be experts on song thawes current price. You should pay 20 baht all the way otherwise tell the driver to complain to the police.

2) There are the yellow and blue Taxi, real taxi. Use the Taxi Call Center phone number. Can not operate in the Airport area or Wing 41 airbase.

3) Airport taxi, will pick you up anywhere and are permitted to enter Wing 41 airbase.

4) Tuk tuks taxi

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 2

anywhere between San Patong to Chiang Mai gate 20bht, yellow songtaw just run up and down all day.

Red songtaw on the moat, 20bht to anywhere else around the moat or within the moat.

Don't ask parked red songtaws, they want a lot more, flag down the ones cruising around.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

anywhere between San Patong to Chiang Mai gate 20bht, yellow songtaw just run up and down all day.

Red songtaw on the moat, 20bht to anywhere else around the moat or within the moat.

Don't ask parked red songtaws, they want a lot more, flag down the ones cruising around.

So I guess during the day the Yellow songtaew are my best bet and I assume I can do the return by heading back to Chiang Mai gate. A little disappointing they only go up to 7pm so I guess its a case of getting the Red songtaew back if its after 7pm.

Many thanks for all the answers.

So I guess during the day the Yellow songtaew are my best bet and I assume I can do the return by heading back to Chiang Mai gate. A little disappointing they only go up to 7pm so I guess its a case of getting the Red songtaew back if its after 7pm.

Once the yellow ones stop and you ask red songtao to go hang dong the fare will be in the hundreds or he might not want to go. You might be better phoning one of the real taxi services and at least be sat in some comfort with aircon.

and coming in to the old city on Yellow; mot get off at CHiang Mai Gate market, but I've stayed on all the way to Thai Airways Office, which is a five minute walk to Thapae gate, but it's an easy 15 minute nice walk from Chiang Mai gate, and to this day, the best, cheapest Thai food is on the outskirts of that bookstore, and the Royal Guest House. Small family business, they are from Lamphun. Great meals for 35 thb, and that fruit cart by the Tech school is still one of the best in the whole town.

The yellow ones have set fares depending on the distance, same for thais and farang. The last time I used them they started at 7 baht. They run on set route chiang mai gate to hang dong maybe further. If you live near the hang dong road to catch one this will be the cheap way to and from chiang mai gate. From there you may need red songtao or tuk tuk which will charge more.

The yellow songtao will probably be the cheapest transport in chiang mai. Set fares for everyone on a board, no hassel. Then when you get to CM gate the tuk tuk will want 150 baht to take you a further km! The red songtao will want whatever he can get. Flag another , another till you fing a normal one. It's all downhill after the yellow ones.

Ignore him.

Just another Thai Basher.

Yellow songthaew 20 baht. Tuck tucks depends on how far you want to go and does he have a chance to pick up another fare near where you go. You will get the occasional gouger just say no and grab the next one to come by.

when you stop one just tell him in English if he does not understand he will let you know.

Yes, though if you get a red one to go out of town you'll have to agree on a price. Especially later in the evening that can be quite high. (It's far out and he has to go back empty). You'd be doing very well to get one for 150-200 or so, and that's if you can clearly communicate how far out exactly it is. (Try: Hang Dong Road, Royal Flora Intersection, in Thai if you have to.) For that he'll take you all the way to your door though, not just the main road. Tuk tuk similar.

For the sake of completeness: the bigger buses that go to Doi Tao and Mae Hong Son via the Hang Dong road are also an option (during the day). They cost three and a half peanuts.

Best to buy a car, motorcycle or bicycle.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

1) Red song thawes are not taxis. Generally red song thaews are not on fixed routes. Disregard other farangs claim to be experts on song thawes current price. You should pay 20 baht all the way otherwise tell the driver to complain to the police.

2) There are the yellow and blue Taxi, real taxi. Use the Taxi Call Center phone number. Can not operate in the Airport area or Wing 41 airbase.

3) Airport taxi, will pick you up anywhere and are permitted to enter Wing 41 airbase.

4) Tuk tuks taxi

Would you kindly share the number to call for Taxi Call Centre? Thank you.

Ignore him.

Yellow songthaew 20 baht. Tuck tucks depends on how far you want to go and does he have a chance to pick up another fare near where you go. You will get the occasional gouger just say no and grab the next one to come by.

when you stop one just tell him in English if he does not understand he will let you know.

Where is the thai bashing in my answer? Any dodgy information? Last time I took the yellow songtao from CM gate it was something like 7 baht to airport plaza a bit more to the tesco. I never did go to San patong but 20 baht sounds very cheap.

My experience of catching red songtaos from CM gate is you have to flag a few down before you find one who will take you anywhere at 20-30 baht. Same with the tuk tuks. Loads of them will want 150 baht around town. I am not sure sharing your experiences is thai bashing.

Sorry have tried a multi-quote reply to various people twice but it fails with this......

data:,

on the address bar. I apologise but I appreciate all your contributions but I have better things to do that fight with inner workings of this forum.

Thanks again

Ignore him.

Where is the thai bashing in my answer? Any dodgy information? Last time I took the yellow songtao from CM gate it was something like 7 baht to airport plaza a bit more to the tesco. I never did go to San patong but 20 baht sounds very cheap.

My experience of catching red songtaos from CM gate is you have to flag a few down before you find one who will take you anywhere at 20-30 baht. Same with the tuk tuks. Loads of them will want 150 baht around town. I am not sure sharing your experiences is thai bashing.

Well I am a regular user of both of them in 2014 and those prices are no where near accurate. 75% of the time I just pay 20 baht for the Songthaew and 60 baht for the tuck tuck. the tuck tucks to the malls are starting to charge more. 120 to the mall and 150 from the Mall.

Ignore him.

Well I am a regular user of both of them in 2014 and those prices are no where near accurate. 75% of the time I just pay 20 baht for the Songthaew and 60 baht for the tuck tuck. the tuck tucks to the malls are starting to charge more. 120 to the mall and 150 from the Mall.

Regarding tuk tuks when you say 60 or 150 baht what distance are we talking about. Wondering what I might be charged if I used a tuk tuk between old city and world club land 6 miles out.