Toyota or Isuzu Hilander Extended Cab

stament

does the Vigo not do a diesel option then?

All of the major brand trucks have a diesel option. The poster was simply saying that if poster's Isuzu gets better gas mileage than his Toyota, the poster is probably comparing apples (petrol) with oranges (diesel). I would expect the fuel economy of the two trucks (both with the same cc diesel) to be very close, but it is worth checking from an independent source.

If you don't know that diesel options are available for all trucks, you are probably not ready to choose among them. And how you narrowed your choices down to the Isuzu and Totoyta with no knowledge of what is available on the Toyota with something as basic (and important) at diesel vs. petrol engines is beyond me. There is also a CNG option on most of the major brand trucks, but i am not sure if all of the major brands offer it. You can get all the information on available manufacturer options on the respective manufacturer web sites, right from the comfort of your cave.

You are quite correct I don't know anything about trucks which is why I asked for help on here. Now we've got over that hurdle, I thought Toyota would do a diesel since I thought all companies would for vehicles with big engines. However, not being someone who possesses any knowledge, I did doubt my original thought when the poster said petrol on the Toyota. The reason being when I hired a Isuzu from Hertz and asked about other cars, they told me that the Fortuner from Hertz they told me that diesels weren't an option. Hope that clarifies my train of thought.

Having thought about the purchase some more, and my needs. I've decided that a 4 door would be best and like the look of the Isuzu and the other factors people have mentioned - reliability, performance, looks, etc......

Hi-Lander 4 door looks good to me!

A large consideration for me. How noisy is the engine? Given a choice between diesel or petrol I'd choose petrol.

Bangkok city driving only. The wanna be farmers will be using diesel.

lol that's funny : meanwhile have the boy racers do all they can to make their petrol 1.5 litre 90hp golf carts sound a loud as possible...

• 4 weeks later...

Ive Found James that those 1500cc 125 BHP Honda Cities and the older Yaris leave our G.M. Duramax Blazer well beaten. Loud or Not.Diesels Shoot their Bolt too early, then go flat as a Witches Tit less you Thrash Em.Cant beat seeing 8500 RPM Daily in a Benzine Non Farm Truck. Why do so many Ferangs change to Benzine once the Farmer/ My Wife Said Syndrome wares of.biggrin.png

Ive Found James that those 1500cc 125 BHP Honda Cities and the older Yaris leave our G.M. Duramax Blazer well beaten. Loud or Not.Diesels Shoot their Bolt too early, then go flat as a Witches Tit less you Thrash Em.Cant beat seeing 8500 RPM Daily in a Benzine Non Farm Truck. Why do so many Ferangs change to Benzine once the Farmer/ My Wife Said Syndrome wares of.biggrin.png

Sorry no Duramax in my house - been known to use a Dura Loob once in a while in tight situations.

No lag in my baby - you must have me confused with Tranny the Chipper of Toyota. Anyways, bring on your lil Civic and its 140 Hp and meet me at the nearest stop light I say....I'll leave you in the dust, and various other particles my DPF didn't catch ;)

V Cross double cab or Toyota Double Cab Champ? Both Autos?

Really personal preference. I'd go for the Isuzu, think it looks better plus I really don't like the Toyota sales staff at the local dealers.

• Like 1

Yo James, ever hear of Power to Weight Ratio, BHP per Ton.Meet me on My Mountain , the Dam Trucks are a Bloody Pest. belching smoke and swaying all over the road. Yeh Trucks are Great if they suit your needs,so are Lin Fox delivering to Tesco Lotus.I loved My Nissan 25 Years ago too.biggrin.png

Yo James, ever hear of Power to Weight Ratio, BHP per Ton.Meet me on My Mountain , the Dam Trucks are a Bloody Pest. belching smoke and swaying all over the road. Yeh Trucks are Great if they suit your needs,so are Lin Fox delivering to Tesco Lotus.I loved My Nissan 25 Years ago too.biggrin.png

on a hill even better - torque it baby...

• Like 1

Hi.

from Australia here.

Utes are very popular. Primarily diesel. Ddual or king cabs

There are around 10 in the market of different manufacture.

Toyota on ALL the latest performance results\reviews.

Even the Toyota leaning magazines. Put the Toyota around 5th on the list.

Isuzu are probably the most reliable and their engines,drive trains come from a company that makes ONLY commercial Diesel trucks.

The D'Max running gear comes from a truck.

ALL the others are car mfg's that try to build serious stuff.

From todays market.

My choice would be Isuzu\Triton\Ford\Mazda. Holden then Toyota. the others are basically china models with low prices and value.

I bought an Isuzu. they not as upmarket. car interior wise as most of the others.

But my engine drive train are good for 500k with regular servicing.

There is a VW Amarok also. But twin Turbo 2 ltr with large body. I tried one.

Nope. Gutless till engine revving. NO takeoff torque. and small. High revving engine.

Not good for either reliability or longevity. Specially if you want to carry\tow decent loads.

Nissan Navara a great tourer too but VERY expensive and not economical

when driven at rev's required to give you it's high performance.

Plus gearing (on my last one) was waay too high specially in reverse.

Auto only if you go for one of them.

Hi.

from Australia here.

Isuzu are probably the most reliable and their engines,drive trains come from a company that makes ONLY commercial Diesel trucks.

From todays market.

My choice would be Isuzu\Triton\Ford\Mazda. Holden then Toyota. the others are basically china models with low prices and value.

I bought an Isuzu. they not as upmarket. car interior wise as most of the others.

Your post gave me a headache. It is interesting as personal opinion, but your choice ranking is flatly wrong and shows that you are a total outlier as far as measuring quality/value is concerned -- Holden above Toyota is utter and complete nonsense. Holden (aka Chevy/GM in other parts of the world) will be lucky to survive past 2017. You need to separate "quality" from "value". On an overall quality basis, including a strong service network to support the vehicles, in Thailand (last time I looked, I think that is where we are, well, all of us but you), Mazda and Toyota are 1 and 2 -- take your pick as to order, followed by all of the rest. As far as "value", presently, Mitsubishi is no 1, and I would not put Toyota in the top 3 for "value", but that is a separate issue. But, Isuzu is not in the top 3 trucks in overall quality or value, and probably not in the top 5. I include noise factor and ride comfort (and style) in overall quality.

Are you talking about SUVs (Utes) or pickups? From your post it is hard to tell. Maybe in Australia, pickups are called "Utes" But, if you are talking about SUVs (utility Vehicles), they are a different animal. The Toyota SUV, the Fortuna, is on the same platform as the Vigo, but it is not the same vehicle, and not really comparable, at least I don't think that they are. And comparisons of "SUVs" are not, IMO, useful in comparing pickup trucks. People buy and use them for very different reasons. And I would rank the Fortuna rather low, also.

And perhaps the Isuzu engine and drive train will last for 500k kilometers, but who caresblink.png???? if that makes you sleep better, pleasant dreams. The rest of the truck will have long since fallen apart before then. What is the value of an engine and drive train that outlasts the useful life of the rest of the vehicle three fold???? Sure the Isuzu will last a life time, but you won't enjoy traveling half as much as you would in a Toyota, Mazda or Triton. You are clearly confused, as your choice ranking demonstrates. Next...........

Hi.

from Australia here.

From todays market.

Your post gave me a headache. It is interesting as personal opinion, but your choice ranking is flatly wrong and shows that you are a total outlier as far as measuring quality/value is concerned -- Holden above Toyota is utter and complete nonsense. Holden (aka Chevy/GM in other parts of the world) will be lucky to survive past 2017. You need to separate "quality" from "value". On an overall quality basis, including a strong service network to support the vehicles, in Thailand (last time I looked, I think that is where we are, well, all of us but you), Mazda and Toyota are 1 and 2 -- take your pick as to order, followed by all of the rest. As far as "value", presently, Mitsubishi is no 1, and I would not put Toyota in the top 3 for "value", but that is a separate issue. But, Isuzu is not in the top 3 trucks in overall quality or value, and probably not in the top 5. I include noise factor and ride comfort (and style) in overall quality.

Are you talking about SUVs (Utes) or pickups? From your post it is hard to tell. Maybe in Australia, pickups are called "Utes" But, if you are talking about SUVs (utility Vehicles), they are a different animal. The Toyota SUV, the Fortuna, is on the same platform as the Vigo, but it is not the same vehicle, and not really comparable, at least I don't think that they are. And comparisons of "SUVs" are not, IMO, useful in comparing pickup trucks. People buy and use them for very different reasons. And I would rank the Fortuna rather low, also.

And perhaps the Isuzu engine and drive train will last for 500k kilometers, but who caresblink.png???? if that makes you sleep better, pleasant dreams. The rest of the truck will have long since fallen apart before then. What is the value of an engine and drive train that outlasts the useful life of the rest of the vehicle three fold???? Sure the Isuzu will last a life time, but you won't enjoy traveling half as much as you would in a Toyota, Mazda or Triton. You are clearly confused, as your choice ranking demonstrates. Next...........

Somebody has a personal opinion, you don't agree so 'he is totally wrong'. And then you come with your personal opinion but presented as a fact, which, in my very personal opinion 'is totally wrong'.

Please leave others and their opinions in their value.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

assuming new model, toyota is now the old dog on the block now that nissan has released their new one.

Isuzus are favorites of thais - farmers and the like lol. Lots of service points around - guess that's a good thing and hopefully not a case of cause and effect.

isuzu is cheaper in maintenance than toyota

assuming new model, toyota is now the old dog on the block now that nissan has released their new one.

Isuzus are favorites of thais - farmers and the like lol. Lots of service points around - guess that's a good thing and hopefully not a case of cause and effect.

how so? I am assuming new so most things covered under warranty - or you mean regular service like oil changes etc?

how so? I am assuming new so most things covered under warranty - or you mean regular service like oil changes etc?

Isuzu parts even things like the oil filters/air filter is less than 1/2 the Toyota price

Genuine Isuzu parts cost about the same as 'copy' Toyota parts in most cases.

How much cheaper may I ask, are we talking small differences? I've heard that Isuzus can have a basic oil change, etc for just THB 1000

as for Petrol and CNG, the Ford Ranger open cab looks a good deal ? 499,000 baht brand new, last shape a year ago when current was 699.000 baht..

http://www.ford.co.th/ http://www.ford.co.th/trucks/new-ranger-old

Thanks for the update, what's CNG can I ask?

Compressed Natural Gas perhaps

Also known as "NGV" (referring to the vehicles that use it), and not to be confused with LNG, which is "same same", but different. To my knowledge, all manufactures that offer a natural gas option, use CNG, but most conversions from gasoline are to LNG. CNG is safer as a vehicle fuel, but in Thailand, LNG is significantly cheaper than CNG, and the conversion cost is less. There is also Adsorbed Natural Gas (ANG), but to my knowledge it is not used or available at retail in Thailand.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 1

If I was you I go for Isuzu reason for that is newer than Toyota . Good resale value , cheap service ,when you need parts ford, Mazda and the rest still waiting for the parts when you out driving. coffee1.gif

Not sure about the cheap service, maybe at the local Somchai car wash who do the odd oil & filter change service. My buddy has the 3L VGS truck and has it serviced every 5000 km. The bloke always appears to be at the dealers.

Currently running a Hilander and I /we run Isuzu P/U as my own personal transport beast for years as both farm, haulage co trucks and personal transport too, ugly old beasts but powerful, reliable ( pull a town hall clock down) and all parts and service costs reasonably priced and readily available.

My vote is for the Isuzi Hilander.

How much do typical 5,000 services compare in terms of costs for Isuzu vs Toyota out of interest?

Is it really necessary to service every 5,000km? In England it's every 5,000 or 6,000 miles with major services at 10,000 and 12,000 intervals. Interested to know the reason why cars in this particular part of the world are recommended for service at more regular intervals.

How much do typical 5,000 services compare in terms of costs for Isuzu vs Toyota out of interest?

Is it really necessary to service every 5,000km? In England it's every 5,000 or 6,000 miles with major services at 10,000 and 12,000 intervals. Interested to know the reason why cars in this particular part of the world are recommended for service at more regular intervals.

Isuzu 3 l 2014 model service 10000 km 1400 B in Korat city. ( old gen isuzu service interval was 5000 km).

• 3 months later...

Isuzu 3 l 2014 model service 10000 km 1400 B in Korat city. ( old gen isuzu service interval was 5000 km).

That's about the same as our Toyota in CM, the service here is cheaper than buying the oil off the shelf in the UK in England same service is about 200 squids at Toyota.

I do mine every year or 10 K as it's so cheap here.