Outrageous behavior! Cinema Chair broke & they ask me to pay for damage

deknoiJT

OP, just ignore some childish comments here.

This is a good reminder that Thailand is still very much a third-world country, i.e. the approach "shut up or I'll post this on FB plus contact my tv channel buddy" always works here. The sooner we all realize this, the better for our sanity.

• Like 1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can see why they were laughing. I mean how do you actually break a cinema chair just by sitting on it? It isn't one of those chairs with legs mind you cos those are easier to break it's cinema chairs with the folded in seats and they are sturdy as hell and it still broke.

Might i ask OP is your missus tiny next to you? I can imagine her like a 3 yr old kid next to you i doubt she's big.

You seem obsessed with my weight dear boy, that is two posts now you have commented.

Please, stop inundating me with your PMs asking me to send you special photos of myself

Edited by deknoiJT
  • Like 2

Seriously, though. . . one of the problems in Thailand is that, unless you are in at least a five star hotel or ritzy restaurant, there is NEVER someone in authority who can handle a legitimate complaint. One is almost invariably stuck with some poor kid (often a young woman) who clearly has now power whatsoever, who is terrified of making any concessions to customers in case it costs him or her their job. The traditional Thai way of dealing with this is simply to walk away from wherever the problem was encountered and not go back again - which seems to me rather masochistic and ineffective way of dealing with poor customer service. But. . . TIT!

• Like 1

I bet you would have Kung <deleted> chopped him from the skills learned in a previous special forces life if he didn't back down!

I am a physical lover, not a physical fighter though I am certainly not ashamed of the verbal stoush that was ha

The manager was a she, not a he.

Seriously, though. . . one of the problems in Thailand is that, unless you are in at least a five star hotel or ritzy restaurant, there is NEVER someone in authority who can handle a legitimate complaint. One is almost invariably stuck with some poor kid (often a young woman) who clearly has now power whatsoever, who is terrified of making any concessions to customers in case it costs him or her their job. The traditional Thai way of dealing with this is simply to walk away from wherever the problem was encountered and not go back again - which seems to me rather masochistic and ineffective way of dealing with poor customer service. But. . . TIT!

Agree with this,they would rather not make a fuss,just in case the dreaded loss of face occurs,or they would not mention the damage,and move to another seat,which is what i would have done,if possible,mind you i don't way in at 120 kilo's.

" Cinema chairs have to be rated to regularly hold strong loads."

This is true. The "standards" however are different for western countries as opposed to the standards for asian countries. Asians weigh far less than westerners....as for yourself, you are the weight of 3 asians. Technically you are liable for the broken chair because you subjected the chair to an "over capacity static bearing load".

Glad you were not hurt....and glad you did not pay. Hope you can see the forest through the trees.

Kinetic load if if it broke in the process of sitting down.

I don't see any response to the abstinence question. Interesting one that.

" Cinema chairs have to be rated to regularly hold strong loads."

This is true. The "standards" however are different for western countries as opposed to the standards for asian countries. Asians weigh far less than westerners....as for yourself, you are the weight of 3 asians. Technically you are liable for the broken chair because you subjected the chair to an "over capacity static bearing load".

Glad you were not hurt....and glad you did not pay. Hope you can see the forest through the trees.

Technically a kinetic load if if it broke in the process of sitting down.

I don't see any response to the abstinence question. Interesting one that.

No where is it written that if you break a chair from sitting then you are responsible if you are just sitting in it .

True. But I doubt the seats were designed and manufactured to withstand 120 kilograms. Not casting aspersions, but it would be interesting to see a video of how the OP lowered himself into the seat. Was it a normal, slow movement, or did he flop down into it quickly? Just wondering.

You make a good point...... heavy guys rarely lower themselves gently but thump down heavily, as anybody who has been behind one in an aircraft probably knows.

And when they are behind you, they pull themselves up using your headrest.

Fancy using cronyism to get out of your obvious responsibility. (TIC)

Like this guy?

Do any of you gentleman own your own scales?? The gentleman in the photo must weigh 400 pounds AT LEAST. That is 180+ Kilograms. I am not a man of anywhere near that great a girth!

120 kilograms is not unusual these days as anyone who has travelled back to the States can attest to!

As for the seat sitting down action; I flipped the seat down and lowered myself onto it reasonably gently. I was carrying a soda and popcorn at the time.

The comparison with an airline seat is spurious and shows it must be a long time since you have visited a cinema in Thailand. The spacing between cinema rows is very generous and leaning forward to use the seat in front of you would be of little assistance in exiting from a seat.

Thailand. I just don’t know whether I should laugh or cry.

Personally I would be embarrassed to relate such a story on TV. You're a fat, gay man complaining about being treated unfairly because you broke a cinema seat and run to TV for validation. Sorry, you won't be getting it from me.

Personally Dude, I suggest you don't feel embarrassed about what other's might think of you.

I am certain that not having your validation is validation enough I am in the right coffee1.gif

Now, which of the following is it that you don't like about me?

a. That i was complaining?

b. That I am fat?

c. That I am gay?

• Like 1

As a practising Muslim and openly gay man I have had a lifetime of jokes at my expense. My skin is as thick as a Rhinos.

No problem for me there but i thought it was forbidden for a muslim to be gay.
It's not forbidden to be gay (as a state of mind), but it is forbidden to act on it (ie anal sex) Edited by Grindting

Sorry, for your mishappen OP, but I bet the Thais enjoyed it more than the actual film.

I bet his "Mrs" lost a lot of face for sure..............whistling.gif

And the OP gained some weight.....facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Thailand. I just don’t know whether I should laugh or cry.

Personally I would be embarrassed to relate such a story on TV. You're a fat, gay man complaining about being treated unfairly because you broke a cinema seat and run to TV for validation. Sorry, you won't be getting it from me.

Personally Dude, I suggest you don't feel embarrassed about what other's might think of you.

I am certain that not having your validation is validation enough I am in the right coffee1.gif

Now, which of the following is it that you don't like about me?

a. That i was complaining?

b. That I am fat?

c. That I am gay?

d) That I am overweight?

• Like 1

Kind of curious, how much is a Thai cinema chair worth?

I do not know what a chair is worth nor its replacement cost and the question is not relevant to this discussion at all.

Just one of many questions that must be asked is why should a cinema patron be expected to pay for wear and tear on an item that thousands of people have plonked their ample posteriors into? The chair clearly has a design fault and poses a danger to customers such as myself. Who is to say what initially triggered the design fault that led to the chair cracking?

Not once did staff or management ask about my health or well being and while I was uninjured from the chair a simple enquiry from any member of the cinema staff would have been appropriate if not a pre requisite of such a situation. I am of course a paying customer using their provided equipment and I could have been injured.

A broken seat is simply part of "doing business" and should be considered as such by the cinema. I wouldn't be so sure the chair has a design fault. They are designed and built for asia and theres not an abundance of 280 lb locals. at any height.

in the usa many a chair nowadays is built wider and stronger to accommodate the obese populous. Once at work a comfy office chair with suspension sunk to the ground and suspension was gone.

colleagues informed me a new employee named 280-300 lbs sat in it rendering the height adjustment/suspension inactive.

As a practising Muslim and openly gay man

​Mate,if you win a weekend for two in ISIS...a word of warning...don't take it!!!!

What is being a Muslim and homosexual got to do with breaking a seat?

Well when you have worked & lived in the Middle East, the sizes of some of the mens &lt;deleted&gt; are huge & homosexuality is a big problem there also...!!!

Sorry, for your mishappen OP, but I bet the Thais enjoyed it more than the actual film.

I bet his "Mrs" lost a lot of face for sure..............whistling.gif

I think op's Mrs is a Mr. Usually partner means homosexual relations. Imangine a 260 lb gay and a 100lb lover-thats what the thais were laughing @......................lol.

Why the homophopobic post's up to the op,i i married to a lovely lady,but i reckon most homophopes are itching to try it ,and don't have the ball's[pardon the pun],i mean look at ancient greece,there is a saying though,"the greek's invented sex,but the Romans invented having sex with women",or of course there is the Arab saying"a woman for duty,a boy for pleasure,but a goat for sheer delight",so everyone has there little foibles,as i write i am safely tucked up with Hector,my gerbil.

I can see why they were laughing. I mean how do you actually break a cinema chair just by sitting on it? It isn't one of those chairs with legs mind you cos those are easier to break it's cinema chairs with the folded in seats and they are sturdy as hell and it still broke.

Might i ask OP is your missus tiny next to you? I can imagine her like a 3 yr old kid next to you i doubt she's big.

You seem obsessed with my weight dear boy, that is two posts now you have commented.

Please, stop inundating me with your PMs asking me to send you special photos of myself

Could you post the pms i sent you then? Obsession isn't the word. The onus is actually on you. I mean breaking a chair when you sat on it. It's meant for humans fyi.

I think the guy should have paid, he set in the chair and it broke he has admitted to it. He should pay because he told them he broke it if you have to tell you should pay. I will catch hell but why tell for starters.

I gotta agree with the"pay-up" posters here. You should take some responsibility for your weight. I wouldn't have paid full price, but found some median ground. After all it did break while you were using it, and you say it was your "regular" seat, if I am not mistaken.

And really, was that lie necessary? Was losing "face" over a few greenbacks really worth it?

Just my 2 cents.

I gotta agree with the"pay-up" posters here. You should take some responsibility for your weight. I wouldn't have paid full price, but found some median ground. After all it did break while you were using it, and you say it was your "regular" seat, if I am not mistaken.

And really, was that lie necessary? Was losing "face" over a few greenbacks really worth it?

Just my 2 cents.

biggrin.png

post-204442-0-55656500-1402864436_thumb.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents.

Please keep your 2 cents with comments like that. Edited by benalibina