Driving in Thailand

homeownership

Ok I know this topic has been done to death, resurrected and killed off in a sequel. But...

I think People from the European Union should know where they stand when driving in Thailand.

EU Nationals (British Citizens) in my case, must carry with them 5 items when driving in Thailand to be legal.

1) Passport (All Foreigners are required by law to carry their Passports with them at all times). Dont Argue, I have checked and rechecked this one.

2) Full UK/EU Driving licence in date with at least 12 months prior to expiry. This must be the Photocard licence with counterpart, not the old type with no photo.

3) International Driving Permit (Available from any UK Post Office). It is a legal requirement in Thailand. Just showing your driving licence isnt enough

4)You must have proof that you are entitled to drive the vehicle such as Hire car, bought car with insurances and taxes paid etc.

5) Your car must be fitted with licence plates ( I dont know much about this last requirement, but if you drive a Chiang Mai car in Krabi or vice versa, your asking for trouble, although legal).

I always keep around 5000 thb in reach in case of any awkward Police questions.

The Golden Rule: NEVER, EVER DRINK DRIVE IN THAILAND. FORGET THE POLICE, YOU WILL NOT MANAGE TO DRIVE ON THE INCOMPREHENSIBLE THAI ROAD SYSTEMS.

How about 'Never ever drink drive in Thailand' because you could injure or kill people who - through no fault of their own - just happened to have the misfortune of sharing the road with you ? I've had a couple of near misses as a pedestrian with cars and motorbikes where I have good reason to believe the driver/rider had impaired motor skills and we've all seen Farang stagger out of a bar and get on a motorbike. I know its a common problem in Thailand and I should 'spare people the lecture' but you raised it - I have a vested interest in this as I have to cross 3-4 particularly nasty roads in Patts on a daily/nightly basis and drunks are the last thing I want to deal with during those adrenalin-charged crossings.

As for point (2) I only have the old type that was issued in 1989 and am not required to update it to the photocard type until either UK law changes, it expires or I have to replace it due to loss or a house move.

Never had any warnings from the RAC when I have applied and received an IDP for driving in Thailand.

What is this about ?

5) Your car must be fitted with licence plates ( I dont know much about this last requirement, but if you drive a Chiang Mai car in Krabi or vice versa, your asking for trouble, although legal).

Myself my car has Nonthaburi plates, but my truck, always get plates from the south, why = travel as far as Hat Yai every month so with Ranong plates never get stopped, BKK plated pickups are always being stopped down south......up here also works as other road users think your from the south and give way, think your lost etc..