David Cameron urged to fight extremism by means of 'British values'

webfact

David Cameron urged to fight extremism by means of "British values"

LONDON: -- British Prime Minister David Cameron said that superfluous tolerance of British people eventually leads to the rise of extremism in the country. As a result of this - an attempt of islamization of secondary schools, which has been recently brought to light. Cameron appealed for active promotion of "British values​​" to avoid the domination of foreign ideology.

Head of the UK Government announced that "the message of tolerance," which the British refer to domestic nonconformists, is now playing against them: the extremism has intensified in the country. "In recent years we have put ourselves open for the risk, spreading a dangerous message: it is fine, if you do not want to believe in democracy; don`t worry, if equality is not for you; we'll still be tolerant to you, even if you are not completely tolerant to others", - "The Independent" quotes Cameron.

On the pages of the British press, he appealed to the citizens of the country.

"In recent years we pursued too soft policy both in education and in other areas of public life - said Cameron. - As a result, we were often tolerant to those who are not tolerant to others, does not recognize the principles of democracy and equality."

According to the Politian, these trends lead not only to the split of British society, but also to "the rise of extremism." "And now we learn that more and more young Britons join Islamist groups in Iraq and Syria," - said the prime minister. He believes that the roots of this phenomenon may be hidden in the ​​sphere of education, where, according to a recent study, the influence of Islamic preachers has significantly increased.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_16/David-Cameron-urged-to-fight-extremism-by-means-of-British-values-5167/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-06-16

• Like 2

That is the conundrum in the west: should we tolerate and allow those whose religious views espouse ending those liberties (freedom of religion, speech, dress, sex equality, etc) freedom to promote their agenda? In USA supreme court decided "yes" but since this view is said to be taught in state supported schools in UK, cut the funding. US was smart enough to write into Constitution separation of church and state. Admittedly some funds wormed way through to parochial schools, and various nuts always trying to get around that.

Well "Great" British values have not been too effective yet... doing more or less whatever the US tells/asks them to do, selling off large parts of the economy to anyone with money, however unpleasant they are, building mosques at a frantic pace, and fervently promoting universal human rights to anyone who wants them at the taxpayers' expense, except the old, sick and genuinely needy citizens of "Great" Britain.

• Like 1

10366240_530035480475051_514102670957884

Start by allowing the British flag to be flown 'in Britain'.... flying the flag is considered racist in the UK and is actually banned in a hell of a lot of places including schools and government and council buildings... In case it offends.

More nonsense.

"Flying the Flag

Flags may be flown on every day of the year. Government and local authority buildings in England, Scotland and Wales are encouraged to fly national flags every day of the year (the flying of flags at certain locations in Northern Ireland is constrained by The Flags Regulations [Northern Ireland] 2000 and Police Emblems and Flag Regulations [Northern Ireland] 2002).[2]"

http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/flying-flags-in-the-united-kingdom/british-flag-protocol/

Edited by sustento
  • Like 2

<snip>

Start by allowing the British flag to be flown 'in Britain'.... flying the flag is considered racist in the UK and is actually banned in a hell of a lot of places including schools and government and council buildings... In case it offends.

<snip>

I have a pair of Union Jack underwear bought in Britain. It "flies" when I'm aroused. My pertinent question is: am I breaking any council rules?

T

• Like 1

Looking out of my window I can see three flags flying from the roof of my local council offices, as they do every day of the year:

• the council's own flag,
  • the cross of St George and
  • the Union Flag.

I can't see it from my window, but just down the road is the local police station; which has a flag pole flying the Union Flag.

During the Olympics, every pub and bar I knew was flying the Union Flag; as were many other buildings.

At the moment, they are all flying the Cross of St. George.

Wherever you are getting your information from, and I notice you haven't told us where it came from; it's incorrect.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

If we look back at our own history, we aren't so terribly far from when we were pretty fanatical about our religious beliefs. Witches were burned, for example.

I have numerous Muslim friends who came from the Middle East as refugees (true political refugees). They adapted very well and are far from fanatical. For example, they prefer not to eat pork, but if something is cooked in pork fat, they will eat it.

It's about not isolating people, not excluding people and providing the opportunities. There are some nasty people and they are the ones that need to be isolated and dealt with not all people of a certain group, ethnicity or religion.

• Like 1

"In recent years we pursued too soft policy both in education and in other areas of public life - said Cameron. - As a result, we were often tolerant to those who are not tolerant to others, does not recognize the principles of democracy and equality."

According to the Politian, these trends lead not only to the split of British society, but also to "the rise of extremism." "And now we learn that more and more young Britons join Islamist groups in Iraq and Syria," - said the prime minister. He believes that the roots of this phenomenon may be hidden in the ​​sphere of education, where, according to a recent study, the influence of Islamic preachers has significantly increased.

As far as I am concerned, any 'young Briton' who is not serving in the Armed Forces, is well within their rights to go and join an Islamic group in Iraq or Syria if they feel that strongly about it.

But, they lose their right to carry a UK Passport, and have to apply for a UK visa to get back.

On 6 June the Serious Crime Bill was introduced in the House of Commons. One intention of this Bill is to:

Allow people suspected of committing an offence overseas under sections 5 (preparation of terrorist acts) or 6 (training for terrorism) of the Terrorism Act 2006 to be prosecuted in the UK.

This is deliberately intended to target folk heading out to Syria. Just as well this was not around during the Spanish Civil War as folk like Eric Blair (aka George Orwell) and 2000 others would have faced jail time on their return.

• Like 2

If we look back at our own history, we aren't so terribly far from when we were pretty fanatical about our religious beliefs. Witches were burned, for example.

I have numerous Muslim friends who came from the Middle East as refugees (true political refugees). They adapted very well and are far from fanatical. For example, they prefer not to eat pork, but if something is cooked in pork fat, they will eat it.

It's about not isolating people, not excluding people and providing the opportunities. There are some nasty people and they are the ones that need to be isolated and dealt with not all people of a certain group, ethnicity or religion.

I too was taught and believed that witches were burned at the stake. In reality they were hanged, which isn't a lot better as far as the good point you made. LINK

It happened only once, which doesn't excuse it. But it did happen about 100 years before the US was formed and ratified a Constitution including personal civil rights, and laws about trials, presumption of innocence, etc.

So it wasn't US citizens who did this.

Your point is still very valid, though. Just trivia.

I too was taught and believed that witches were burned at the stake. In reality they were hanged, which isn't a lot better as far as the good point you made. LINK

It happened only once, which doesn't excuse it. But it did happen about 100 years before the US was formed and ratified a Constitution including personal civil rights, and laws about trials, presumption of innocence, etc.

There was actually a second Salem witchcraft trial in the 1870's, thus involving US citizens (can't blame this one on the Brits!). Mercifully thus time the judge dismissed the case.

There was actually a second Salem witchcraft trial in the 1870's, thus involving US citizens (can't blame this one on the Brits!). Mercifully thus time the judge dismissed the case.

I never blamed anything on the Brits. It's just a fact that there were no US citizens when the "witches" were hanged because there was no US. There were only colonies. America celebrates its formation and independence from the King of England on July 4.

July 4, 1776.

I never blamed anything on the Brits. It's just a fact that there were no US citizens when the "witches" were hanged because there was no US. There were only colonies. America celebrates its formation and independence from the King of England on July 4.

July 4, 1776.

So having ascertained that both British and US courts tried people for witchcraft in Salem MA, can teaching British values work as a means to reduce extremism?

July 4, 1776.

So having ascertained that both British and US courts tried people for witchcraft in Salem MA, can teaching British values work as a means to reduce extremism?

Who said the British courts tried people for witchcraft in Salem? I never heard that one.

tolerance of British people eventually leads to the rise of extremism in the country.

This is the Achilles heel of democracies...which the Islamist use to further their cause...the entire World is at risk of being dominated by people who believe in chopping off hands and killing people in the public square...

Didn't Gaddafi say, to defeat them we just have to use their own laws against them?

• Like 1

Looking out of my window I can see three flags flying from the roof of my local council offices, as they do every day of the year:

• the Union Flag.
I can't see it from my window, but just down the road is the local police station; which has a flag pole flying the Union Flag.

During the Olympics, every pub and bar I knew was flying the Union Flag; as were many other buildings.

Wherever you are getting your information from, and I notice you haven't told us where it came from; it's incorrect.

Yes maybe but you won't see it outside every council or government building and you won't see it at all at many schools. So I believe there is a point to be made, Godalming is not the same as Luton or Bradford

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

10366240_530035480475051_514102670957884

I say anyone abusing and disrespecting the British flag should be given 10 years and/or deported, If they were born there, deport them to the country of their lineage.

The Thais have the right idea.

Doing this sort of thing should be considered a direct attack on Britain..... why are they even there if they hate Britain so much?????

Your last paragraph, I'm sure you know the answer to that, free housing, benefits, and for some, not all, the word that starts with T.

<snip>

<snip>

I have a pair of Union Jack underwear bought in Britain. It "flies" when I'm aroused. My pertinent question is: am I breaking any council rules?

T

Forget about rules, if you think you should always obey rules and laws, why bother to get up out of bed in the morning.

tolerance of British people eventually leads to the rise of extremism in the country.

This is the Achilles heel of democracies...which the Islamist use to further their cause...the entire World is at risk of being dominated by people who believe in chopping off hands and killing people in the public square...

Great post GGT, and very true.

<snip>

<snip>

T

Forget about rules, if you think you should always obey rules and laws, why bother to get up out of bed in the morning.

I agree. My conundrum is this: Mrs T has rules, one of which is that I have to get out of bed early even when I have no rule-breaking things, or anything else to do that day. Should I bother to NOT get out of bed so that I have a reason to get out of bed?

T

Did notice this came from "Voice of Russia" a country well known for it's acceptance of other views, in places such as Chechnya.... or "if there's a Russian there, it must be part of Russia" (Ukraine).... Pussy Riot, anyone?

• the Union Flag.

Yes maybe but you won't see it outside every council or government building and you won't see it at all at many schools. So I believe there is a point to be made, Godalming is not the same as Luton or Bradford

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Unlike the USA, I don't recall schools in the UK ever flying the national flag on a daily basis, mine didn't (attended 1967 to 1973); except on special occasions like 11/11 when the Union Flag flew at half mast.

As I don't live in Godalming, Luton or Bradford, I don't know what flags, if any, their council offices fly.

But here is a photo of Bradford city hall: taken from wiki.

Bradford_City_Hall_by_John_Illingworth.j

Notice the two Union Flags flying!

Where I live has a significant Muslim population; who don't seem to object to the flying of the English and Union flags. Indeed, many of them, like many others, are flying English flags from their cars at the moment!

Edited by 7by7

<snip>

<snip>

T

I agree. My conundrum is this: Mrs T has rules, one of which is that I have to get out of bed early even when I have no rule-breaking things, or anything else to do that day. Should I bother to NOT get out of bed so that I have a reason to get out of bed?

T

n

Are we on the juice again ???p

Choking the life out of someone slowly, to the point that they get extreme and smash your head with a rock... I don;t know. They both seem to be horrible ways of behavior with the caveat that the one using the rock is simply reacting to the strangulation.

I still have yet to see an Iranian military base in the USA or England, yet we have military bases in other people's countries all over the world.

It's time to butt out and pull out and defend our own countries and get them out of trillions of dollars and pounds worth of debt.

Let these Islamic peoples sort out their own problems. There are many forms of energy available right now without using oil. The majority of terrorists are coming out of Saudi Arabia anyways.

Choking and smashing. No one is innocent, yet both are extreme. The one who is innocent is the one who is standing on their own property and blows out the brains of the one who comes on their turf with a loaded gun and begins threatening.

I truly hate religion!

Many Islamic extremists - including ISIS - are seeking to establish a worldwide Caliphate - an Islamic state led by a supreme religious and political leader - and a majority of Muslims across the world support establishing one. Going home and hiding our heads in the sand might be no solution at all.

Edited by Ulysses G.