Doi inthanon temple, has become to a whole sale market place..

Sandman77

In my life a visit doi inthanon temple 2 time 7 years ago , and last year!

Was completely shocked how this place has been changed within the last couple of years, and also hear tourist talk the same!

The Nummer of Dealers ,

At this Place is everything but Not Romantic anymore , it's like a shopping wall!

I know other temples in Indonesia and Malaysia how amazing the atmosphere there of silence , without dealers , maybe in Bali at street side of temple but inside let you all one!

The whole sale market place Modell in Thailand , I not like , and I will never visit a big temple again!

Shortly before i reach doi inthanon !

I remember a sign with a arrow showing right!

Farang must pay 80 baht and must go this way!

All other walk straight and not pay!

I think romantic and atmosphere is unknown in Thailand !

Was going to make a bike ride there. So rip off made it's round. Actually all central located temples in CNX make it into tourist markets at night or at least at any festive event. No surprise here.

Doi Inthanon? I don't think so.

I was down there last week. No sellers at all and hardly any tourists.

I think you mean Doi Suthep!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

I was there 3 weeks ago, foreigners were 30B

They tried to nab me, I asked him why am I being charged to make merit in the a temple?

He had no response to that one.

Also, yes they do stop Chinese tourists as well.

Was thinking Suthep sorry, can't confirm if OP is right about Inthanon or not.

Inthanon the mauntain sorry I name it wrong

When the man want direct me to the farang

Paying gateway I walks streight and say

Budha charge no one no matters where come from!

I think I also must open a wholesale market on public places

My product

Eye lenses with the dollar sign it!

Thais must pay double, and foreign people get it free

This would be defanatly a good idea!

• Like 1

The OP is confused. If he talks about Doi Suthep, the mountain (ette) and the temple that overlooks Chiang Mai, he is correct in what he writes.

But if he talks about Doi Inthanon, Thailands tallest mountain he is mistaken.

I took a four hour trek near the peak of Doi Inthanon two weeks ago, it was very quiet and peaceful - the summit had the usual gaggle of tourists - ditto various temples further down the mountainside.

Churches and temples have ALWAS been the center of commerce down through history.

In early days there was no safer place to set up a market than either outside the temple grounds, or, if you were one of the chosen, within its gates.

Churches and temples were the 'shopping malls' of early civilizations, with entertainers, prepared food stalls, home furnishings, etc., all being sold there. And the churches got their cuts from the required tithes of visiting pilgrims.

Nothing has changed except the prices...

The OP is confused. If he talks about Doi Suthep, the mountain (ette) and the temple that overlooks Chiang Mai, he is correct in what he writes.

But if he talks about Doi Inthanon, Thailands tallest mountain he is mistaken.

I took a four hour trek near the peak of Doi Inthanon two weeks ago, it was very quiet and peaceful - the summit had the usual gaggle of tourists - ditto various temples further down the mountainside.

He already pointed out his error ;)

Op, the charge is 30 baht for whiteys, it's 80 if you take the funicular. Get in free by showing Thai license, but yes not the point... it is a horrible experience today unless you go real early or like rubbing shoulders with nattering nobs. If you're looking for a pleasant, high up temple, take a drive north to Chang Dao and go about 1k past the busy, tatty cave pull-in.

Edited by daveAustin

I don't see the problem.

Thai people go make merit and make donations.

Most foreigners ( tourists ) just walk around and make pictures and don't donate anything.

Try getting into York Minster or similar cathedrals or abbeys in the UK for free laugh.png

• Like 1

Churches and temples have ALWAS been the center of commerce down through history.

In early days there was no safer place to set up a market than either outside the temple grounds, or, if you were one of the chosen, within its gates.

Churches and temples were the 'shopping malls' of early civilizations, with entertainers, prepared food stalls, home furnishings, etc., all being sold there. And the churches got their cuts from the required tithes of visiting pilgrims.

Nothing has changed except the prices...

I disagree people have changed and want to forget their history as it does not fit in with their new smooth and suave intellectual view of the world.

Venders up on Doi Suthep are nothing new.

Even I with my plethora of senior moments know that.

I don't see the problem.

Thai people go make merit and make donations.

Most foreigners ( tourists ) just walk around and make pictures and don't donate anything.

Try getting into York Minster or similar cathedrals or abbeys in the UK for free laugh.png

Ya but they are different. They don't give you a reason to look down your nose at the Buddhist temples.