Stop Tipping The Baht Bus Drivers........

dirtyfalang

My view is that in socio/economic terms, tipping by westerners in "third world" countries stresses the local economy and puts the local population at a disadvantage, everyone suffers as a result of the ensuing price increases....

I have no idea what you are talking about, for the 15-20 years I have been here the bb rate has been 10 baht, still is, no increase for a foreigner. I give to charity too and if someone wants to be generous, so be it.... it's not for me to judge. Their generosity, tipping habits, lack of local knowledge, whatever, has no impact.

OK well it's been 5 baht during the past fifteen years but no matter.

And in case you missed it, I was trying to extend the concept of tipping to cover the broader argument of the effect on social and economic aspects of life in Thailand. I'm not trying to be clever or sexy in my direction or my arguments but too few people look at the impact of throwing away a few baht for this or that in an environment where they view locals as being impoverished, this simply because they earn western salaries or they feel sorry for what think they see around them, it's very misguided.

This is your opinion, to which you are entitled, but it is unsupported by fact.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a view, it is a fact.

What is certainly a fact is that you do not speak for the entire population of Pattaya, ergo, yours is a view.

I,m a Pattaya resident and I can confirm the fare is TEN BAHT-except for an unusually long ride when 20 is the norm thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I was trying to understand earlier from JT what constitutes a long ride and he couldn't clarify, can you?

The esteemed Pattaya resident Baht Bus rider can't define the difference between a 10 and 20 baht trip in terms of distance or scope so don't even begin to tell me that the case is proven that the BB fare in Pattaya is 10 baht.

As for you: how sad, I know from your previous posts that you are capable of better things than what you posted. But if having the last word is important to you or anyone else, be my guest, just don't leave the answers to the questions undone or unproven.

And if I don't participate in this quagmire of a scrum beyond 8:15, it's because I'm going out for dinner - I shall however respond to the remarks and entrails later.

Search other topics. This topic is about tipping over the standard 10 baht fare not legit 20 baht fares for long rides. The long rides thing has been covered ad nauseum for readers of this local forum. Not all baht bus topics should be about everything about baht buses.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One flame and off topic post as well as a reply to it deleted.

This topic deals with the academic discourse on tipping a Baht bus driver in general and particular, but not other Baht bus fare related aspects, neither do we discuss here the overall comfort of the ride, the reliability of the driver as such and for sure not how much a beach masseuse does in comparison.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's 10 baht all the way from Jomtien to Central Pattaya . 20 baht if you want to go further north , This is a fact and we already discussed this several times. Locals and farang pay the same price. The white baht bus line on sukhumvit you pay 20 baht but that is for a much longer distance , from Pattaya to Na Jomtien and Bangsaray.

If you pay more than this, you belong to the minority and the baht bus drivers will not complain .

• Like 1

I wonder how many people advocating tipping baht bus drivers here give tips to bus drivers back in their home country!

Not really the same, in my home country the municipal bus drivers were very well paid with benefits. People would give something for Christmas in the "spirit of giving". Always gave gifts to the school bus driver. That said, I seldom tip a baht bus driver although if I am his only fare I will give something.

The problem is that very very few westerners understand how much money baht bus operators really make, the assumption is that they are poor simply because the fare is only 20 baht. But 15 passengers per day and he's just made average daily wage, another 15 passengers and he's paid for his truck payment, another 15 passengers and his daily fuel is paid for - he only needs 45 passengers per day, But scratch all that where he lands a couple of tourists who get charged 100 baht per trip, let's say that happens three times a day, my guess is that they make over 30k a month, more than many farangs here live on, according to a recent poll!

Btw,a foreigner must show income or savings equivalent to over 65k per month to retire here, otherwise choose to live somewhere else at the Thai government's request.

Just for clarity: That reference was not to retirees using the lump sum method, it was to the many English teachers earning 20/30/35k a month and to the married farang retirees using the marriage visa based on income that is only 50% of the lump sum.

You've gotta love people comparing prices to " back home".....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would that be ? It's what most expats subconsciencely do. You should try it once, might be liberating tongue.pngsmile.png

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Motor bike taxis are always lacking 10 baht or 20 baht change. NO, I am not a cheap Charlie, but when I know I am already paying 10 baht more from the bus station to where I live (10 minute walk) ...I am not going to give a "tip"-so I hand over a 50 baht note and the guy doesn't have 10 baht for change...I make him wait, walk over to Family Mart and get change for myself.

People continuous give the baht but drivers 20 baht bills and refusing the change are gonna put the price up .

STOP TIPPING THE BAHT BUS DRIVERS!!!

While I agree it is unnecessary in most cases, I think the rate is set by some authority and not likely to be increased by some drivers trying to push it up (legally anyway).

I agree with JT about some times when it is appropriate to pay more than 10 baht. I can't remember ever going all the way from Jomtien to Naklua, but a very few times when I have gone a pretty great distance I've handed over a Baht 20 and walked away. I think one time it was from Sukhumvit on Pattaya Nua and I rode it all the west on Pattaya Nua, down Beach Rd to Pattaya Tau and then some distance back east on Pattaya Tai just because the original driver happened to keep heading where I wanted to go. He didn't ask for it, but if he hadn't just happened to follow that route I would have had to change song taeows two or three times.

Agreed, and whilst at it, stop wai'ing the bellboy, shop assistant and the street food vendor, it makes us all appear stupid.

Yes, I really cringe when I some people bobbing up and down in a wai to someone in the market or a waiter or whoever. Probably good intentions, but it almost seems like mockery.

Edited by Suradit69

You mean that one says

Yes I go beach , then let you out after 2 minutes , and says you must change bus pay me 10 baht this happen all the time

Quite the opposite. A couple of time a driver has decided to head one way although I had indicated by pointing another way before boarding and he would get out of the cab, explain his change of plans and just drive off once I got off. No cash requested.