Just realized Thai banks fixed deposit interest rates plummeted

Correcting myself, the interest rates aren't as I described. If you have between 100,000 and 10 million Baht you get 2.3% on the whole amount. If you have above 10 million Baht you get 0.75% on the whole amount.

I'm happy with Krungsri.......monthly interest, no automatic with-holdings. Great customer service at Airport Plaza Chiang Mai.....good leg to look at...pretty smiles. Manager speaks English well. No catch 22 on docs...just a passport....probably needs to be long stay, though..not sure. But, none of this WP Shiite...and those banks that gave me a hard time are on my shiite list for sure.

Edited by Thighlander

no automatic with-holdings.

If by that you mean no withholding of 15% tax, there are very few Krung Sri accounts that offer that, and for those you need to provide more than a passport (namely, your tax ID), and the investment amount is strictly limited. It's just that the tax being withheld isn't shown in your passbook - you just get a single line labeled "INT", which is interest net, not gross.

Bangkok Bank has just started to offer an 11 month fixed deposit account paying 2.8%. Only two catches: minimum investment 100,000 Baht, and the money mustn't come from a Bangkok Bank bank account.

Bangkok Bank has just started to offer an 11 month fixed deposit account paying 2.8%. Only two catches: minimum investment 100,000 Baht, and the money mustn't come from a Bangkok Bank bank account.

Well, that's a good way to bring in "new/additional" money versus money just being rolled over from matured accounts.

Bangkok Bank seems to have an ongoing series of deposit specials. They change every few months and the terms and rates will vary. I believe the most recent prior one was only for four months.

The problem, of course, is once you've put the money into one of those accounts and the term ends, you may not be able to roll it over to any decent rate with them for a new term. You can, though, always pull the funds out and find another special somewhere else. 2.8% for an 11-month fixed deposit is quite good these days.

I've been doing Bangkok Bank fixed terms for a couple of years now, but this is the first one I've seen which basically requires new money versus just being able to roll over from a matured Bangkok Bank fixed account. Hope this is not the start of a trend...may drive me to open an account with another bank such as Kbank just to cover cases like this.

Of course I guess if a person wanted to risk it, they could just withdraw all cash from the matured fixed account, take it home for a night, go back the next day with the wad of cash and open the fixed account requiring new money.

Edited by Pib

I've been doing Bangkok Bank fixed terms for a couple of years now, but this is the first one I've seen which basically requires new money versus just being able to roll over from a matured Bangkok Bank fixed account. Hope this is not the start of a trend...may drive me to open an account with another bank such as Kbank just to cover cases like this.

Of course I guess if a person wanted to risk it, they could just withdraw all cash from the matured fixed account, take it home for a night, go back the next day with the wad of cash and open the fixed account requiring new money.

Might be interesting to see how they define and monitor/ check "new money". Probably not much obstacle to to transferring THB 100k from AN Other bank to open a second account at BBL, then transferring THB 100k or very close to that amount next day/ after opened from your first account at BKK bank back to AN Other :)

There are some smarter accounts out there though that look at average balances/ aggregate balances across more than one account etc

Cheers

Flech :)

After they with-hold; you get 2.38%. I think I'll keep mine unrestricted, down the hall at 2.3%......at www.krungsri.com. Keeping the letter to immigration as simple as possible is also very advisable. I've seen somebody using a lawyer have his letter rejected. I think they even made him pay for a new one. Good to see competition.....You have to go out five years to get 2% in the US right now....8 year=2.9% or 3.3 for 10 years is the best I've seen.

Edited by Thighlander