Brazil vs Mexico - Weds 18 June, 02:00 am, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Brazil forward Hulk is a major doubt for this after missing training on Monday, with Chelsea's Ramires likely to deputise and Brazil coach Scolari re-jigs his team's formation.

Mexico are likely to field an unchanged team from the side from the side that beat Cameroon on the opening day of the tournament.

Interestingly, no other team have beaten Brazil more times in the 21st century than Mexico.

Maybe a small chance of an upset with one, especially if Brazil start the match in the same manner as they did against Croatia. However, that being said, with the support of the home crowd and with Neymar and Oscar looking in deliciously good form, Brazil should have more than enough to turn Miguel Herrera's men.

And let's face it, who doesn't like watching Brazil?

I once saw a Mexican league game with a goal scored in the opening seconds. A player got the ball at midfield, and immediately kicked it high toward goal. The opposing team's goalie was too far forward and tried backing up, but it just went over his hand and in the net. Would be fun to get some surprises like that.

BTW, I've been watching highlights of already-played games . The highlights last about 12 to 15 minutes. Here's an access page for the Switzerland / Ecuador game, which looks to me like the best match thus far, in terms of elegant football, instead of the dirty/shoving football which dominates most other games.

I went in as a neutral and was behind Mexico within 15 minutes. By 10 minutes I figured it would be a nil - nil, but it was still exciting to see the Mexicans nearly get something and their keeper be the clear man of the match as far as I'm concerned.

Mexico tired after 60 minutes but the hosts were so mediocre they only managed to mount a sustained attack and look the part for about 10 minutes, and that dive looking for a penalty just goes to show how desperate and lacking hunger and belief they were.

It was a good game.... all thanks to Mexico.

• Like 1

I went in as a neutral and was behind Mexico within 15 minutes. By 10 minutes I figured it would be a nil - nil, but it was still exciting to see the Mexicans nearly get something and their keeper be the clear man of the match as far as I'm concerned.

Mexico tired after 60 minutes but the hosts were so mediocre they only managed to mount a sustained attack and look the part for about 10 minutes, and that dive looking for a penalty just goes to show how desperate and lacking hunger and belief they were.

It was a good game.... all thanks to Mexico.

if that was a good game I would hate to see a bad one,20minutes into thr second half that was enough for me,foul after foul 31in total and only and only 8 shots on target [90 min].

cancel the chocolate brazil nuts.

a block of dutch edam for me.

Mexico were excellent, their keeper is grabbing the headlines today but their 3 central midfielders put in a real shift, and worked tirelessly to prevent the ball getting to Oscar and Neymar.

All credit to the Mexicans, they took to the match with a game plan to stifle Brazil's attacking options and that's exactly what they did.

This game was a good example that you don't need goals to make a match exciting.

• Like 1

Interesting post match comment from Scolari about Hulk:

"Hulk could have played today but he decided to stay on the bench, so we started with Ramires. But if he believes he can play in the next match we will put him back on the pitch," Scolari said.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1889611/brazil-boss-luiz-felipe-scolari-full-of-praise-for-guillermo-ochoa-display

So what was that all about? Or lost in translation?

Interesting post match comment from Scolari about Hulk:

"Hulk could have played today but he decided to stay on the bench, so we started with Ramires. But if he believes he can play in the next match we will put him back on the pitch," Scolari said.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1889611/brazil-boss-luiz-felipe-scolari-full-of-praise-for-guillermo-ochoa-display

So what was that all about? Or lost in translation?

Scolari covering his ass.thumbsup.gif