Should there be an "American section" to ThaiVisa?

CharlesHH

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr toad and soutpeel need a holiday. Please stop USA bashing.

Mod wannabe ? playing world policeman ?.. I can't speak for Toady, but where have I taken a stanch of US bashing in this thread ?

Surely your not inferring that my references to gerbils is somehow bashing USer's?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind offer, I quite fancy Mauritius for a week, not sure about Mr Peel. I only fly business class though, so I hope that's ok.

• Like 1

Isn't it just a bit of friendly banter?

The UK/English try and rip it out of us Aussies ... we take it on the chin and counter punch.

After we have exhusted the stereotypes then we go down to the Bar and pick on the Irish, Polish, Swedish, Scottish ... any 'ish' that takes our fancy ... laugh.png

'tis but a bit of a lark.

But Aussies for the most part actually have a sense of humour, I mean they had to didn't they ? All them months on the prison ships :lol:

Only joshing

They must have a sense of humour, Julia Gillard and Tony Abbot , enough said.

• Like 1

The UK/English try and rip it out of us Aussies ... we take it on the chin and counter punch.

After we have exhusted the stereotypes then we go down to the Bar and pick on the Irish, Polish, Swedish, Scottish ... any 'ish' that takes our fancy ... laugh.png

'tis but a bit of a lark..

But Aussies for the most part actually have a sense of humour, I mean they had to didn't they ? All them months on the prison ships laugh.png

Only joshing

You do know that we Aussies are the best in the World!

It's a Fact ... undisputable.

We know this because the best (English) Judges choose us in the first place ... w00t.gif

• Like 1

'tis but a bit of a lark..

But Aussies for the most part actually have a sense of humour, I mean they had to didn't they ? All them months on the prison ships laugh.png

Only joshing

You do know that we Aussies are the best in the World!

It's a Fact ... undisputable.

We know this because the best (English) Judges choose us in the first place ... w00t.gif

You've got to be totally delirious. Get bit by one of those deadly critters down there? Aussies even rank behind Finns on the humor lists.

2 posts removed, lets keep it cival please.

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

Another thread turned into American bashing. You should ALL get a life.

I think we should turn our attention to higher ranking members of the church and have a real bishop bashing session

In my experience this statement by the OP would describe most of the Americans I have met, both in N America and around the world.

Edited by CharlieH
flaming

To reply to OP's post, I think it would be great to have 2 subsections:

- USA interest subforum + US news

- UK interest subforum + UK news

The reason is that there are so many UK and US specific topics in the general forum which are not interesting for members from other countries.

There have been a lot of discussions about FATCA and UK pensions, among other things.

The US-specific news could also go into that section so they don't clutter the "world news" - who else in the world cares about the following headlines from the world news forum:

LA's homeless allowed to live in cars, US appeals court rules Shock defeat of majority leader Eric Cantor by Tea Party sends shockwaves through Republican Party Acting Irs Chief Ousted Over Tax Scandal As Obama Vows Change First execution carried out in US since botched lethal injection Northern Gateway pipeline in Canada approved Britain set to ease visa rules to attract Chinese Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to return to office after rehab US Marshals accidentally leak potential Bitcoin bidders list

etc etc etc ...

over 50% of the headlines are (mostly uninteresting) US or UK related news, while the world news section is really very light on news from other regions, sometimes moderators have to me PM'ed to open topics on important issues weeks after the event.

• Like 1

If I want to read news about the USA I read the NY Times, Washington Post and have often enough commented on those platforms where someone in a decision making capacity might actually read it. I am not really interested in reading what Thai Visa and its minions have to say about US news. As for news from UK, EU countries , and Australia, etc. Say what?

Why not go out to your local, or a week in pattaya,have a few cleansing ales with your expat comrades, you will pick up the accents & hav a laugh @ the same time, My favourite city is ubon, mainly pommie blokes & the occasional wee laddie, good bunch of blokes.

there you are problem solvedburp.gif .

regards songhklasid

I fail to see why ANY world news that is not related to Thailand is posted on Thai Visa.

I disagree.

There may well be topics which are of interest to Thai-resident Americans, I don't see why (for example) some thread on their tax-reporting/payment affairs might not run or be pinned (if popular enough), much as with the UK-pensions thread for Thai-residents ?

Apropos of which, I find it slightly unfair/un-free, that having been resident outside their country for many years, should not (as I gather) exempt them from having to file returns ? But I guess that's democracy for you ... it can produce some odd results, sometimes.

Funny old world, innit ? wai2.gif

It seems some of the rednecks have taken exception to some of the gentle digs regarding Americans. So, just for clarification on this matter, to those that may live in the real world, as opposed to Fox News, there are plenty of Americans that hang out with Brits and The Convicts, and have a laugh. Many of us who work here work with Americans, so it's not an alien concept. I've met some right tools, both American and Brit, but not going to tar them all with the same brush. The OP IMO takes himself far too seriously, and has an air of piety and superiority , and deserves a bit of piss taking.

• Like 2

It seems some of the rednecks have taken exception to some of the gentle digs regarding Americans. So, just for clarification on this matter, to those that may live in the real world, as opposed to Fox News, there are plenty of Americans that hang out with Brits and The Convicts, and have a laugh. Many of us who work here work with Americans, so it's not an alien concept. I've met some right tools, both American and Brit, but not going to tar them all with the same brush. The OP IMO takes himself far too seriously, and has an air of piety and superiority , and deserves a bit of piss taking.

Spoken in increasing distressed tones but raised octaves ...

'The Convicts'

'The Convicts'

'The Convicts' ... facepalm.gif

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... dry.png

Christmas Card list.

Khun Toady

• Like 1

Spoken in increasing distressed tones but raised octaves ...

'The Convicts'

'The Convicts'

'The Convicts' ... facepalm.gif

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... dry.png

Christmas Card list.

Khun Toady

Now I'm sorry I offended you

• Like 1

^^ Nah ... tis bit a wee bit of friendly, across the oceans, banter ... thumbsup.gif

Except for Johnny Wilkins ... that Rugby World Cup Final still grates with me.

Apart from that ... you're first shout ... we're cool ... thumbsup.gif

^^ Nah ... tis bit a wee bit of friendly, across the oceans, banter ... thumbsup.gif

You can't even bring yourself to get his name right, haha

You can't even bring yourself to get his name right, haha

He who shall not be named.

It's better this way.

To win by not scoring tries is just not ... not ... not Cricket (or rugby) !

Grrrrrrr ... swearing-smiley.gif

What happened to the idea of the OP? this thread has been hijacked by flammers who resent America and Americans. They just can't stay on topic...PROVING...there should be a thread for Americans living in LOS a place to ask questions and share information without the PUB crowd hijacking.

What happened to the idea of the OP? this thread has been hijacked by flammers who resent America and Americans. They just can't stay on topic...PROVING...there should be a thread for Americans living in LOS a place to ask questions and share information without the PUB crowd hijacking.

Who resents America and Americans?

The OP is a pompous imperialist, you are going down the same route. Live in the real world.