Acting Irs Chief Ousted Over Tax Scandal As Obama Vows Change

News_Editor

<p>WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew on Wednesday ousted the acting head of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) over a widening scandal in which several IRS employees deliberately targeted conservative groups which sought tax-exempt status.

</p>

<p>President Barack Obama made the announcement during an early evening news conference from the White House, saying his administration is determined to hold the responsible parties accountable. "Today, Secretary Lew took the first step by requesting and accepting the resignation of the acting commissioner of the IRS," Obama said.

</p>

<p>Obama was referring to Steven Miller who has presided over the nation's tax system since November 2012, when Doug Shulman's term in office ended. Miller had previously served as deputy commissioner for Services and Enforcement, providing direction and oversight for all major decisions affecting the four taxpayer-focused IRS Divisions.

</p>

<p>Obama made the comments after reviewing a Treasury Department watchdog's report about the scandal, calling the misconduct inexcusable. "It's inexcusable, and Americans are right to be angry about it, and I am angry about it," he said. "I will not tolerate this kind of behavior in any agency, but especially in the IRS, given the power that it has and the reach that it has into all of our lives."

</p>

<p>According to an internal report, the watchdog believes at least two employees in Cincinnati, Ohio, using inappropriate criteria, were responsible for deliberately targeting tea party and other conservative groups that were seeking tax-exempt status. It is believed the misconduct began in early 2010 and continued for more than 18 months.

</p>

<p>"It should not matter what political stripe you're from -- the fact of the matter is, is that the IRS has to operate with absolute integrity," Obama said during Wednesday's press conference. "The government generally has to conduct itself in a way that is true to the public trust. That's especially true for the IRS."

</p>

<p>Obama said he directed Lew to follow up on the watchdog's report to see how the misconduct was able to take place and who is responsible. "We're going to put in place new safeguards to make sure this kind of behavior cannot happen again," he said. "I've directed Secretary Lew to ensure the IRS begins implementing the IG's (inspector general's) recommendations right away."

</p>

<p>The president said his administration will also work with Congress as it performs its oversight role over the agency, which collects approximately $2.4 trillion in tax revenue that funds most government operations and public services. The commissioner manages about 90,000 IRS employees and a budget of more than $12 billion, touching every facet of American society.

</p>

<p>"I'll do everything in my power to make sure nothing like this happens again by holding the responsible parties accountable, by putting in place new checks and new safeguards, and going forward, by making sure that the law is applied as it should be - in a fair and impartial way," Obama stressed. "And we're going to have to make sure that the laws are clear so that we can have confidence that they are enforced in a fair and impartial way, and that there's not too much ambiguity surrounding these laws."

</p> <p> (Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This out today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLAIM: OBAMA CAMPAIGN CO-CHAIR ATTACKED ROMNEY WITH LEAKED IRS DOCS
by MATTHEW BOYLE 14 May 2013 1185 POST A COMMENT
One of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign co-chairmen used a leaked document from the IRS to attack GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney during the 2012 election, according to the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).
NOM, a pro-traditional marriage organization, claims the IRS leaked their 2008 confidential financial documents to the rival Human Rights Campaign. Those NOM documents were published on the Huffington Post on March 30, 2012. At that time, Joe Solmonese, a left-wing activist and Huffington Post contributor, was the president of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). Solmonese was also a 2012 Obama campaign co-chairman.
  • Like 1

This guy was the fall guy. Let's hope that they get they get whoever is at the top.

There are some other minions to follow:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOX19 EXCLUSIVE: Four local IRS workers allegedly connected to scandal
Posted: May 16, 2013 9:50 AM
By Ben Swann
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -
FOX19 has exclusively learned that as many as four people may be the first Cincinnati Internal Revenue Service (IRS) employees to face disciplinary action, and possibly even criminal charges, for allegedly targeting Tea Party and Liberty groups applying for non-profit status.
,,,from the article,,,
One of FOX19's two sources went on say that these four IRS workers claim "they simply did what their bosses ordered". Keep in mind, as FOX19 reported on Tuesday, the report by the Office of Inspector General states that senior IRS officials knew agents were targeting Tea Party groups as early as 2011.
In fact, according to that report, Lois Lerner who heads the IRS division that oversees tax exempt organizations, was told on June 29, 2011 that groups with 'Tea Party', 'Patriot' or '9/12 Project' in their names were being flagged for additional, and often burdensome, scrutiny.
While the IRS is pointing at 'two rogue employees', the number of organizations that were singled out has swelled to nearly 500, according to Rep. Congressmen Darryl Issa and Ohio's Jim Jordan.
  • Like 1

Gee, didn't these right wingers bleat on about paying took much taxes already???? Any sampling for audit should consider them as higher risk of under declaring taxable income, shouldn't it?

I guess it is not so nice when authorities profile a particular group and you happen to be in that group.

Sherman, turn the way back machine to 2004....

The well-known church, All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, became a bit of a cause célèbre on the left after the IRS threatened to revoke the church’s tax-exempt status over an anti-Iraq War sermon the Sunday before the 2004 election. “Jesus [would say], ‘Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine,’” rector George Regas said from the dais.
The church, which said progressive activism was in its “DNA,” hired a powerful Washington lawyer and enlisted the help of Schiff, who met with the commissioner of the IRS twice and called for a Government Accountability Office investigation, saying the IRS audit violated the First Amendment and was unduly targeting a political opponent of the Bush administration. “My client is very concerned that the close coordination undertaken by the IRS allowed partisan political concerns to direct the course of the All Saints examination,” church attorney Marcus Owens, who is widely considered one of the country’s leading experts on this area of the law, said at the time. In 2007, the IRS closed the case, decreeing that the church violated rules preventing political intervention, but it did not revoke its nonprofit status.
And while All Saints came under the gun, conservative churches across the country were helping to mobilize voters for Bush with little oversight. In 2006, citing the precedent of All Saints, “a group of religious leaders accused the Internal Revenue Service yesterday of playing politics by ignoring its complaint that two large churches in Ohio are engaging in what it says are political activities, in violation of the tax code,” the New York Times reported at the time. The churches essentially campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate, they alleged, and even flew him on one of their planes.
Meanwhile, Citizens for Ethics in Washington filed two ethics complaints against a church in Minnesota. “You know we can’t publicly endorse as a church and would not for any candidate, but I can tell you personally that I’m going to vote for Michele Bachmann,” pastor Mac Hammond of the Living Word Christian Center in Minnesota said in 2006 before welcoming her to the church. The IRS opened an audit into the church, but it went nowhere after the church appealed the audit on a technicality.
And it wasn’t just churches. In 2004, the IRS went after the NAACP, auditing the nation’s oldest civil rights group after its chairman criticized President Bush for being the first sitting president since Herbert Hoover not to address the organization. “They are saying if you criticize the president we are going to take your tax exemption away from you,” then-chairman Julian Bond said. “It’s pretty obvious that the complainant was someone who doesn’t believe George Bush should be criticized, and it’s obvious of their response that the IRS believes this, too.”
Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

Their mistake was not targeting ALL such political action groups, including religions. thumbsup.gif

NONE of them deserve to be tax free.

This is really bad now, because now with this "scandal" the extremist right wing groups will be given a special pass on LEGIT enforcement and some of these groups are really dangerous, even some favoring violent revolution against the legal government of the USA. So the decent peace loving tax paying American law abiding citizens will be subsidizing these far right wing extremist pro violence groups. Shocking.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sherman, turn the way back machine to 2004....

The well-known church, All Saints Episcopal in Pasadena, became a bit of a cause célèbre on the left after the IRS threatened to revoke the church’s tax-exempt status over an anti-Iraq War sermon the Sunday before the 2004 election. “Jesus [would say], ‘Mr. President, your doctrine of preemptive war is a failed doctrine,’” rector George Regas said from the dais.
The church, which said progressive activism was in its “DNA,” hired a powerful Washington lawyer and enlisted the help of Schiff, who met with the commissioner of the IRS twice and called for a Government Accountability Office investigation, saying the IRS audit violated the First Amendment and was unduly targeting a political opponent of the Bush administration. “My client is very concerned that the close coordination undertaken by the IRS allowed partisan political concerns to direct the course of the All Saints examination,” church attorney Marcus Owens, who is widely considered one of the country’s leading experts on this area of the law, said at the time. In 2007, the IRS closed the case, decreeing that the church violated rules preventing political intervention, but it did not revoke its nonprofit status.
And while All Saints came under the gun, conservative churches across the country were helping to mobilize voters for Bush with little oversight. In 2006, citing the precedent of All Saints, “a group of religious leaders accused the Internal Revenue Service yesterday of playing politics by ignoring its complaint that two large churches in Ohio are engaging in what it says are political activities, in violation of the tax code,” the New York Times reported at the time. The churches essentially campaigned for a Republican gubernatorial candidate, they alleged, and even flew him on one of their planes.

Meanwhile, Citizens for Ethics in Washington filed two ethics complaints against a church in Minnesota. “You know we can’t publicly endorse as a church and would not for any candidate, but I can tell you personally that I’m going to vote for Michele Bachmann,” pastor Mac Hammond of the Living Word Christian Center in Minnesota said in 2006 before welcoming her to the church. The IRS opened an audit into the church, but it went nowhere after the church appealed the audit on a technicality.
And it wasn’t just churches. In 2004, the IRS went after the NAACP, auditing the nation’s oldest civil rights group after its chairman criticized President Bush for being the first sitting president since Herbert Hoover not to address the organization. “They are saying if you criticize the president we are going to take your tax exemption away from you,” then-chairman Julian Bond said. “It’s pretty obvious that the complainant was someone who doesn’t believe George Bush should be criticized, and it’s obvious of their response that the IRS believes this, too.”

Of course they got audited. They are the most famous, if not among the most, non-profit group in the states. They made a PUBLIC statement criticising Bush DURING the ELECTION.

The IRS simply construed the statement as public support for Kerry. They can only blame themselves for issuing a public statement during the middle of an election when they knew their tax-exempt status would be at risk.

So from your post, it seems the IRS was pretty consistent in going after both churches and the NAACP that made public statements supporting candidates.

The difference in this new scandal is that these groups didn't even have to make a public declaration of support for a candidate, they just had to be named wrong. Think about it like this, it seems before the IRS targeted groups based on their public actions, now they are targeting based on affiliation.

Steve Miller may be out, but Miller wasn’t commissioner when most of the targeting occurred. That was Doug Shulman, who left in November. Miller was leaving in June anyway and he will still be working until then. His "ousting" is a farce.

Edited by Ulysses G.

This guy was the fall guy. Let's hope that they get they get whoever is at the top.

That will be difficult as the chap was one of the few political appointees. The implicated personnel are long time civil servants that go back to previous administrations. It is difficult to fire these people without a very strong case.

Lefty groups are just as upset over the allegations because they say they could be targeted too. Boo hoo.

IMO none of these politically motivated groups should qualify as charitable organizations. It made sense to me to closely review some of these groups as their "charitable" activities were/are questionable. Really, is it any different than profiling some high risk groups at the airport?It is not PC to profile, but it makes sense to do so.

BTW, the GOP may not be as pushy on the issue when it comes out that implicated personnel date back to the BUsh era and it was the GOP that was having a problem with the Tea Party, as TP anointees were knocking off established GOP candidates in the primaries. The TP was a boon to the Democrats as TP candidates were splitting the GOP vote.

• Like 1

The acting IRS Director who was 'Fired" was scheduled to leave his temporary job in a month anyway AND he is not going to leave until the preplanned date - about one month from now :)

Does anyone here understand a 501©(4) and believe it should be applicable to political organizations? Does anyone know how many were applied for, approved, processing time and reason for some denials? . . . Or are we all just on a war path to trash the other guy we don't like even though we are not real sure of all of the underlying issues.

I would think lots of bells and whistles should go off if Tea party like group seeking 501©(4) status. Complicated tax provision that is rife for abuse.

• Like 1

Their mistake was not targeting ALL such political action groups, including religions. thumbsup.gif

NONE of them deserve to be tax free.

This is really bad now, because now with this "scandal" the extremist right wing groups will be given a special pass on LEGIT enforcement and some of these groups are really dangerous, even some favoring violent revolution against the legal government of the USA. So the decent peace loving tax paying American law abiding citizens will be subsidizing these far right wing extremist pro violence groups. Shocking.

You surely win the prize for scatter-brained comment of the month! thumbsup.gif

Let's face it; You call these groups "extremist" and "pro violence" not because they are but simply because you do not like their political orientation. Also, they do not agree with you on your adoration of Saint Obama. If any of these organizations are violating the law in being "really dangerous" or "favoring violent revolution" then the FBI will handle them based upon their specific actions. The IRS (the federal agency concerned with taxation) is not the agency to handle such issues.

Whether "political action groups" should have specific tax exempt status is a matter of law that is decided by Congress. Until the law is changed, it must be applied equally to all, no matter what their political orientation. The current IRS actions of selecting groups for review based on words in their name and/or political beliefs is not justifiable nor appropriate.

I do not "adore" President Obama. I support him politically because I think he represents more MODERATE Americans while I think the republican party is completely dominated by the far right wing extremist Americans. I do not think he is a Saint. I am an atheist, dude.

Please leave the personal stuff out of this from now on, OK?

The Tea Party and the republican party are basically married. They are both kind of male entities so maybe republicans support same sex marriage after all, but that's another matter.

If you think there is no evidence of the large violence prone base of both the republican and tea parties, you might want to rethink that:

What? 16 percent of Americans think anti-government violence is

justified? I emailed CBS and asked for the partisan breakdowns of that

question. Here they are:

Do you think it is ever justified for citizens to take violent action against the government, or is it never justified?

Republican 28% yes, 64% no

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/01/11/935493/-CBS-poll-Over-a-quarter-of-Republicans-think-violence-against-government-justified

Also, I happen to AGREE with you that no political group should be singled out for special tax treatment, good or bad. That is implied. I never said any differently. I did say I don't think ANY such political advocacy groups deserve any government tax breaks.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Does anyone here understand a 501©(4) and believe it should be applicable to political organizations? Does anyone know how many were applied for, approved, processing time and reason for some denials? . . . Or are we all just on a war path to trash the other guy we don't like even though we are not real sure of all of the underlying issues.

I would think lots of bells and whistles should go off if Tea party like group seeking 501©(4) status. Complicated tax provision that is rife for abuse.

Media Matters has held this status for years and Media Matters is a Leftist house organ for Democrats and obama ... The issue is about applying the law fairly with the same set of standards across the board... not exceeding regulatory authority nor allowing special privilege for some.

• Like 1

In all honesty, tax exempt status for these more politically-oriented organizations is hardly some huge advantage.

They raise money, and spend it, pretty much with little overhead, or profit, so taxation, or lack thereof is hardly a motivating factor.

It's not like they are investing in real estate say, and thus are able to avoid paying local real estate taxes.

Note that I am separating politically motivated scrutiny of the granting of tax exempt status from potentially targeting individuals or organizations with undue burdens when reviewing their tax returns. I think many are conflating these two separate and distinct issues.

I'm waiting for Wesley Snipes to chime in. wink.png

This claim is going to become the funniest joke of the year...

I somewhat doubt that. It is understood by political analysts who aren't married to Obama demonization propaganda.

The truth is that Obama has always been moderately conservative – a fact

that has been obvious to liberals dating back to the beginning of the

2008 campaign. It would be clear to conservatives as well if they

weren’t so blinded by their partisanship and occasionally got their news

from an unbiased source.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2011/08/05/Obama-The-Covert-Conservative-Liberals-Have-to-Love.aspx#page1

• Like 1

This claim is going to become the funniest joke of the year...

I somewhat doubt that. It is understood by political analysts who aren't married to Obama demonization propaganda.

>The truth is that Obama has always been moderately conservative – a fact

that has been obvious to liberals dating back to the beginning of the

2008 campaign. It would be clear to conservatives as well if they

weren’t so blinded by their partisanship and occasionally got their news

from an unbiased source.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2011/08/05/Obama-The-Covert-Conservative-Liberals-Have-to-Love.aspx#page1

I find it amazing that you believe as you express about obama - in fact I am astounded ... I think you should reconsider your news and 'fact' sources... Mercy Me!!!

But never the less - the topic is about obama's Internal Revenue Service and the politically based abuses.

It's not rocket science. Singling out groups based on politics was wrong. It will be fixed now. If there is a smoking gun linking Obama to these orders, you've got him but chances of there being such a smoking gun are about 1 in a million. Have fun!

• Like 1

This information has already been posted but I thought a weblink would be helpful.

http://www.examiner.com/article/fired-irs-boss-leaving-on-same-date-term-ends

In an attempt to stem the tide of an ever growing chorus of outrage from both Republicans and Democrats, Barack Obama informed the nation and the world that he has accepted the resignation of the acting commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Steven Miller, as reported by the Chicago Tribune via Google News on May 16, 2013.

As the Chicago Tribune article noted: As verified by CNN.com: Quote

It is with regret that I will be departing from the IRS as my acting assignment ends in early June.

Miller's actual letter of resignation in fact states his temporary leadership posting at the IRS ends in June, simultaneously with the effective date of this so-called resignation from office.

I wonder how many of Obama's senior White House advisers are going to be fired for ever dreaming this little scheme up in the first place?

The only one left that is still in office and complicit is Holder. Clinton and Petraeus are already gone. The whisper is that as soon as the smoke dies down, Holder is out as AJ and will be replaced by another Chicago politician that is currently the governor of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick.

I wonder how many of Obama's senior White House advisers are going to be fired for ever dreaming this little scheme up in the first place?

The only one left that is still in office and complicit is Holder. Clinton and Petraeus are already gone. The whisper is that as soon as the smoke dies down, Holder is out as AJ and will be replaced by another Chicago politician that is currently the governor of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick.

That would be weird to leave as a governor to be AJ. I'm doubtful.

Gee, didn't these right wingers bleat on about paying took much taxes already???? Any sampling for audit should consider them as higher risk of under declaring taxable income, shouldn't it?

I guess it is not so nice when authorities profile a particular group and you happen to be in that group.

The short answer is NO. Would you like to be harassed by the most feared agency in the government for your political beliefs? Especially in a country which touts freedom of speech? Some would call that profiling, which is against the law in the US. You sure you want to stick by this post or are you just trolling?