First execution carried out in US since botched lethal injection

webfact

First execution carried out in US since botched lethal injection

GEORGIA: -- The United States on Tuesday carried out its first execution since a botched lethal injection in Oklahoma in April, after last minute appeals were denied.

Marcus Wellons, 58, convicted of the 1989 kidnapping, rape and murder of a 15-year-old girl, was put to death shortly before midnight in the southern state of Georgia, a spokesman for the prison system said.

Earlier it was reported, that the US Supreme Court rejected two appeals for death row inmate.

US Supreme Court rejects two appeals for death row

The US Supreme Court rejected two appeals for death row inmate Marcus Wellons late Tuesday, clearing the path for his execution in what would be the first since a botched lethal injection.

Wellons, convicted of the 1989 kidnapping, rape and murder of a 15-year-old girl, had been scheduled to be put to death earlier Tuesday in Georgia, a spokesman said, adding that the lethal injection remained set for that night.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_18/US-carried-out-first-execution-since-botched-lethal-injection-2689/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-06-18

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Civiised country? bloodthirsty killers more like !

Yeah well. Until some creep does it to someone that you love it is savage. Did you ever see or read Steven King's "The Green Mile"? Remember the prolonged and agonizing electrocution that occurred because the electric chair head piece did not have a sponge soaked with salt water strapped under it? That would be fine for the bastard who did the girl spoken of in this article.

needs to be a painful death...and not 25 years later, walk from the court house straight to hanging or firing squad. Come to think of it Drawn an Quartered for all murders

Edited by Thaiready
  • Like 1

I don't know why they refer to the earlier execution as 'botched'. The guy died and that is what an execution is all about.

It didn't go exactly as planned, but he died and it didn't take so long that anyone had to stay late and collect overtime pay.

The exeution was botched. It was supposed to be as a euthanasia. A vein in the man's arm burst during the injection and the process was halted and he ended up dying of heart failure. Do you really think that you sound astute by posting a trivial semantic wisecrack? Daah!
  • Like 2

All of you Americans on TV should be ashamed of your country. Execution of murderers is something that went out 30 years ago in civilized countries . Add to that your gun carrying fixation from the days of the Wild West and one starts to understand why when you criticize how the rest of the world should behave, no one listens.

Since I am not on TV, I guess this doesn't apply to me. 1. Yes, America does have a gun problem. The majority of Americans want to fix that problem but our politicians have been bought and paid for by the NRA which is a lobbying arm of the weapons industry which has hoodwinked ordinary Americans that is is standing up for their rights. 2. Execution while legal in America is not legal in every state (I think 32 out of 50 states have the death penalty as well as the Federal Government) and in many states while legal, they tend not to execute. The big three are California, Texas and Florida. Much of America opposes the death penalty if not out some kind of morality because it is expensive. Due to our lengthy appeals process it costs more to sentence someone to death and go through the appeals process than to just lock them up for life. Execution was actually abolished in America in 1972 but reimposed in 1976 (both by the Supreme Court). Our history of execution and guns is actually a holdover from our English roots and our revolution and split from England. The execution process was handed down via English law and due to having a tyrant on the throne in England which we revolted against, the second amendment to the constitution was passed so the people could rise up against any other tyrant who may come to power. Both are outdated, we know that.

What do your 'civiised / civilzed' countries do with child murderers? Teach them that killing is bad manners? Help them overcome their fixation with guns?

Maybe you holier-than-thou types should stick to teaching grammar.

We certainly don't treat them like they do in the US. When it comes to killing and execution , Americans are no better than the Islamists they would try to "educate"

Put up or shut up! What does your country do with child killers?

• Like 1

If you take a life you should give your life. Capitol punishment can deter a killer and it will defiantly deter him from ever killing again. You spinless wimps stand back and let a real man do what needs doing. You liberals do not have enough common sense to protect your daughters, wives and mothers so let a good American conservative do a mans job.

Please name one murder that was prevented due to capital punishment. Our country has a shameful murder rate compared to other modern countries.

• Like 2

I don't know why they refer to the earlier execution as 'botched'. The guy died and that is what an execution is all about.

It didn't go exactly as planned, but he died and it didn't take so long that anyone had to stay late and collect overtime pay.

It can be argued that the way in which his execution was carried out was actually illegal under the 8th amendment to the US constitution which bans cruel and unusual punishment. Execution is supposed to be a deterrent to future crimes which is a great lie, it was not meant to be revenge.

• Like 1

If you take a life you should give your life. Capitol punishment can deter a killer and it will defiantly deter him from ever killing again. You spinless wimps stand back and let a real man do what needs doing. You liberals do not have enough common sense to protect your daughters, wives and mothers so let a good American conservative do a mans job.

Please name one murder that was prevented due to capital punishment. Our country has a shameful murder rate compared to other modern countries.

There were over 3 million murders prevented in the last 5 years, due to capital punishment. Their names are in the mail. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Good to hear the justice system is back and fully functional again. And what a way to restart the system by carrying out a sentence on a filthy paedophile child killer. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Check your facts. The US has a murder rate per capita 4 or 5 times higher than almost all Europe countries. Some deterrent !!

Are you implying the murder rate will go down without capital punishment?

Check your facts. The US has a murder rate per capita 4 or 5 times higher than almost all Europe countries. Some deterrent !!

Are you implying the murder rate will go down without capital punishment?

No, I'm saying the facts show civilized countries in Europe with no capital punishment have a murder rate significantly lower than the US. Draw your own conclusion.

• Like 1

All of you Americans on TV should be ashamed of your country. Execution of murderers is something that went out 30 years ago in civilized countries . Add to that your gun carrying fixation from the days of the Wild West and one starts to understand why when you criticize how the rest of the world should behave, no one listens.

That's your opinion based on your view of what is civilized.

The scumbag kidnapped, raped and murdered a 15 year old. The fact he has been allowed to exist since 1989 is questionable.

Where guilt is proven, beyond absolute doubt, then there can be only one punishment for such a foul crime.

Or do you think the offender deserves more care than the innocent victim?

Many people in the UK would vote for a return of capital punishment.

• Like 2

I did. And yours is wrong.

You and the George Bushes would get on well I guess. Ignore the facts

Bush sucks. So what's your point?

What facts? The facts in Europe? How is that relevant? Why can't we use the facts in Russia? China? Iran?

You want to compare the US with Russia, China or Iran? I thought we were looking at civilized countries. Actually you're probably right, comparing the US with those countries does show the US in a good light. You live in your red neck world I'll live in mine.

What countries do you consider civilized then? That would be the ones that agree with your view then.

Give the murderers a nice cell, internet, free good meals, and some counselling eh? Think the'll all repent and be sorry?

What about the victims - oh, their not important in the liberal do good scheme of things. Forget about them and the lives of relations and friends ruined.

• Like 1

It would seem that the threat of execution does not deter murderers. The biggest problem is if and when an innocent is executed. This I believe has happened on many occasions. Not only in USA either.

That's your opinion based on your view of what is civilized.

The scumbag kidnapped, raped and murdered a 15 year old. The fact he has been allowed to exist since 1989 is questionable.

Where guilt is proven, beyond absolute doubt, then there can be only one punishment for such a foul crime.

Or do you think the offender deserves more care than the innocent victim?

Many people in the UK would vote for a return of capital punishment.

Me included.

I've always admired the tough stance on violent crime in the USA.

People that commit serious crime get real jail terms, not like the crap that goes on in bloody Australia.

Murderer & rapist of a 15 y.o girl > GOOD RIDDANCE !

• Like 2

"Capitol [sic] punishment can deter a killer ..."

No credible evidence that capital punishment deters great numbers of people. It certainly didn't deter this guy before he raped and murdered the child, although he's pretty much deterred from doing anything now. I'm pretty sure anyone driven by a desire to rape and murder a child doesn't rationally weigh the possible risks and rewards before doing what he did. In fact he may have murdered the child in the hope he'd not be caught & executed for raping her.

Not sure how civilized it is to keep someone caged up like an animal for the rest of his natural life, although it tends to be rather expensive. It might be argued that a quick death is more humane than a prolonged stay in a cell.

I do have reservations against state sponsored murder, largely because so often those killed, whether convicted criminals or civilians who happen to get in the way of a bomb dropped from a drone or bystanders taken out by a bullet shot by a soldier, aren't really the ones who did something wrong. I don't like what this guy did, but I also don't like that governments too often kill innocent people in my name.

On the other hand, there are genuinely bad people who do need to be stopped from doing what they do. Not all problems have good "solutions." We don't seem to have come up with a good way to prevent crime or a useful way to react after it happens.

Edited by Suradit69