Is it time to hope to be able to see the beach and ocean?

Justanotherpassword

I suppose the important thing is that a few foreigners can see some sand rather than letting some locals make some money from their beaches. Obviously some people must like having the chairs there or the concessions would close for lack of business.

You can walk along the shoreline if that's so important to you. A lot of the garbage that end up on the shoreline washes in from things dumped from ships and from the tourists. The concessionaires have a vested interest in keeping their area cleaned up if they want anyone to use their chairs.

If you want an unobstructed view of the sea, but a condo on an upper floor.

1146639883_Image-1-Large_dscf5002l.jpg

• Like 2

This is a problem in many countries, not just Thailand. It would be nice if they could find a happy medium. Have at least part of the beach open, and part with umbrellas and chairs. I have spent many a wonderful hour sitting in one of those chairs, beer close by, book in hand. Tried to do that in Italy a few years ago and almost had to mortgage the house to be able to pay for the sunbed and entry to the "private" beach. Though I must admit the facilities were very nice. Private changing rooms with showers, clean toilets, trash bins everywhere.

spiaggiadigrado.jpg

I suppose the important thing is that a few foreigners can see some sand rather than letting some locals make some money from their beaches. Obviously some people must like having the chairs there or the concessions would close for lack of business.

You can walk along the shoreline if that's so important to you. A lot of the garbage that end up on the shoreline washes in from things dumped from ships and from the tourists. The concessionaires have a vested interest in keeping their area cleaned up if they want anyone to use their chairs.

If you want an unobstructed view of the sea, but a condo on an upper floor.

The problem with your statement about letting locals make some money from "their" beaches is, the beaches are the King's land and therefore are public land. Just because you happen to live near a beach you think you can take it over and make private profit from public land? That is the problem that got out of hand in Phuket. The logic goes, I see this guy doing it, so why shouldn't I and all my neighbors. Soon there were beach clubs taking over entire public beaches. I am glad the Army has said enough and I'm all for clearing beach loungers and businesses off of every public beach. I've never needed a beach lounger and I've lived very near the beach all my life, but never in a condo!

If it was the real locals who were trying to earn a crust, I dont think people would mind the masses of umbrellas and the filth everywhere so much.

But, as in many cases, the BIB are defined as the " locals ", they are the problem, selling stalls on the beach to the vendors for tea money

Same for the bike rentals along beach road in Pattaya

This is a problem in many countries, not just Thailand. It would be nice if they could find a happy medium. Have at least part of the beach open, and part with umbrellas and chairs. I have spent many a wonderful hour sitting in one of those chairs, beer close by, book in hand. Tried to do that in Italy a few years ago and almost had to mortgage the house to be able to pay for the sunbed and entry to the "private" beach. Though I must admit the facilities were very nice. Private changing rooms with showers, clean toilets, trash bins everywhere.

spiaggiadigrado.jpg

Imagine having a drink or two too many and trying to find your damn umbrella, Uhh it's a blue one i think.

We have lovely beaches in Oregon. This openness is what I was used to before moving here.

cannonbeach%5B1%5D.jpg"Nine miles of wide, walkable beach invite visitors to Cannon Beach. The scenic beauty of the seastacks offshore and headlands onshore make your stroll down the sand particularly memorable. Fly a kite, watch the sea creatures in the tidepools, or take pictures of famous Haystack Rock. Relaxing on the beach is part of the Cannon Beach experience."

Edited by Emster23
  • Like 1

^^ You mean you'd rather have a handful of greedy people making money out of a few tourists than a wide open, clean beach that can be enjoyed by thousands, especially kids? Ah, I get it, you're a condo salesman. smile.png

If you want to see the beach, get out of the tourist traps, duh.