Five THAI board members resign

webfact

Five THAI board members resign

THAI-logo-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Five members of Thai Airways International's board of directors have resigned to pave the way for the ruling military to reshuffle and restructure the loss-ridden national carrier.

Five board members who resigned Friday are Mr Ampon Kittiampon, Mr Virawong Jitmitraparb, Mr Thirasask Suwannayos, Mr Sutham Siritipsakorn, and Pol Gen Adul Sangsingkaew. They tendered their resignations to the board chairman during the board meeting today.

But board chairman Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong will stay to help turn around the state-controlled airline after the junta refused his resignation.

ACM Prajin said the head of the military junta and the airline’s board wanted him to stay and help improve the airline which is in critical condition.

He said the board will adjust the airline’s strategy to generate more income, lower expenditures, and slash benefits of the board under the policy of the junta head.

He said free tickets earlier issued to board members were all scrapped.

Prajin, who is overseeing economic matters for the junta, said he was worried about revenue, but added the airline’s aircraft purchasing plan would not be reviewed. It is due to take deliveries in the next five years.

Thai Airways, which also suffered from fierce competition from low cost and regional rivals, is implementing strategies to boost revenue, cut operating costs and scrap some benefits of the 15 members of the board, he said.

The junta, led by General Prayuth Chan-ocha, has been scrutinising 56 state-owned companies as part of its attempt to reform and take control of the overall state enterprise system and its combined assets of 11 trillion baht .

Thai Airways was among five state companies which are in “critical” condition. The national carrier posted a fourth successive loss in the first quarter, according to the latest report issued by the State Enterprise Policy Office.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-thai-board-members-resign/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-20

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong will stay to help turn around the state-controlled airline after the junta refused his resignation.
ACM Prajin said the head of the military junta and the airline’s board wanted him to stay and help improve the airline which is in critical condition."

So the Chairman resigns as does the police chief. ACM Prajin couldn't resign because the Junta needs him. What about the other two ACM's?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Why do they keep going on about free tickets for board members?

It's a part of getting rid of the Thaksin legacy, 5 red-shirt resign because they don't get free perks anymore.

"resign because they don't get free perks anymore."?

I doubt they had much choice...

It is the same with most airlines A friend of ours works for Qantas and she gets return airfares from Australia to Bangkok for $98.00 After seven years of service , due in 9 months time she gets business class everywhere.And it is just not the airfares she also gets huge discounts from Hotels and cruise lines .

• Like 2

The freebies to the board are small change really, and probably something that would never be even raised as an issue should of the airline be doing well.

There are obviously far larger structural failings in the company which need to be addressed urgently.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do they keep going on about free tickets for board members? That's chickenfeed and tokenistic. They need to deal with the cost structures , the bloated staffing, the free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc. They won't do that because of the payback for the union's support. It will just limp on, dead in the water..

Think about it for a minute. If you want to drop the "free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc." would not the bitter taste be lessened by the knowledge that the top echelon had already lost their perks?

Plus, they've already stated that they are going to deal with the cost structures. I remember years ago when one of the major US carriers reduced the number of olives in the first-class salads by one, thus saving some $38,000 per year. For one olive. THAI has so much bloat that I believe they CAN be turned around with the right management and mindset.

Believe me, there are no first class salads on Thai airways let alone olives in first class salads. Tis but a teat on the belly of state waiting to be sucked by whomever is handed the suckle spot by those managing the farm at any given time.

Edited by Neurath

More resignations and moving officials to inactive posts.

The scale of these resignations and movements is huge and indicates the massive scale of the snouts in the trough.

It's no wonder PTP were prepared to start a civil war in order to hang on to these perks.

As far as I can see most of them resigning have been in there since circa 2009.....

More resignations and moving officials to inactive posts.

The scale of these resignations and movements is huge and indicates the massive scale of the snouts in the trough.

It's no wonder PTP were prepared to start a civil war in order to hang on to these perks.

As far as I can see most of them resigning have been in there since circa 2009.....

Yeah, and the last person the Yingluck govt appointed was ACM Prajin himself, he replaced Ampon as board chairman in March. Now of course he's the junta's economics czar and is also on the PTT board. Anyway, Adul was obviously part of the "Thaksin regime" but apart from him and Sutham, the others got their jobs under the Democrat govt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do they keep going on about free tickets for board members? That's chickenfeed and tokenistic. They need to deal with the cost structures , the bloated staffing, the free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc. They won't do that because of the payback for the union's support. It will just limp on, dead in the water..

Think about it for a minute. If you want to drop the "free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc." would not the bitter taste be lessened by the knowledge that the top echelon had already lost their perks?

Plus, they've already stated that they are going to deal with the cost structures. I remember years ago when one of the major US carriers reduced the number of olives in the first-class salads by one, thus saving some $38,000 per year. For one olive. THAI has so much bloat that I believe they CAN be turned around with the right management and mindset.

Believe me, there are no first class salads on Thai airways let alone olives in first class salads. Tis but a teat on the belly of state waiting to be sucked by whomever is handed the suckle spot by those managing the farm at any given time.

In 2009 London to Bangkok first class leaving, from memory at 13:30, served me a fine salad with olives, a lobster main and the cheese platter was to die for 1 hour after take off. I drank Jonny Blue (with coke) all the way because I could.

With that said, the seats were old, the stewardess rude after the 8th Johnny Blue ( I was polite and not drunk), the toilets were nothing special and the best thing about the trip was the Limo at the end….until I had to pay for the limo at the end of my journey.

In short, Thai were going down hill. They needed strong leadership. They were not going to get that under the previous administration. They will get it now.

Olives anyone?

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

In 2009 London to Bangkok first class leaving, from memory at 13:30, served me a fine salad with olives, a lobster main and the cheese platter was to die for 1 hour after take off. I drank Jonny Blue (with coke) all the way because I could.

With that said, the seats were old, the stewardess rude after the 8th Johnny Blue ( I was polite and not drunk), the toilets were nothing special and the best thing about the trip was the Limo at the end….until I had to pay for the limo at the end of my journey.

In short, Thai were going down hill. They needed strong leadership. They were not going to get that under the previous administration. They will get it now.

Olives anyone?

• Like 1

Olives anyone?

Shucks Fab4….I missed you.

I am honored to get a reply from you. To think I was on your ignore list before!!

It seems the reconciliation bug IS contagious. Welcome aboard the democracy train and glad we can share a laugh again.

May reconciliation be with you my dear dear friend.

• Like 2

It is the same with most airlines A friend of ours works for Qantas and she gets return airfares from Australia to Bangkok for $98.00 After seven years of service , due in 9 months time she gets business class everywhere.And it is just not the airfares she also gets huge discounts from Hotels and cruise lines .

However, none of this can be booked. It is all on standby basis and actually part of the salary packet.

Just like many other working places where people get discounts in the company they are working for or special benefits from their company incl insurance etc.

Nothing new about that.

And the said companies still make profits, but smaller than for real customers. So nothing to feel bad about because you are not part of it.

You think dentists, lawyers, doctors, bricklayers pay full prices, when they help each other?

• Like 1

The freebies to the board are small change really, and probably something that would never be even raised as an issue should of the airline be doing well.

There are obviously far larger structural failings in the company which need to be addressed urgently.

Just like the directors of many other companies worldwide in this recession who have continued to pay themselves big bonuses while the share holders go without dividends and the value of their shares plummet.

They jumped before they were pushed.

It's a part of getting rid of the Thaksin legacy, 5 red-shirt resign because they don't get free perks anymore.

Ok. Prove all five were red shirt Thaksinista sand worshiping remote control ear medicine guzzling money bag smuggling thugs. And then kindly explain why they would ever allow one true yellow board member to be involved, and why the military refused his resignation.

You can't, because you are incorrect.

You are beating a broken drum to an empty stadium, though you did bring a few friends to your million man march.

Free tickets are nothing. Empty seats neither gain nor lose revenue. They are empty -- and THAI has a LOT of those.

I wonder why. I am sure it has nothing to do with servixce quality, no way, it's those red shirt Thaksinista sand worshiping remote control ear medicine guzzling money bag smuggling thugs.

That explains every problem in the country -- even those that happened before Thaksin was in the limelight. He is retroactively guilty....

What trite rubbish.

Edited by FangFerang

It makes a difference to me because my wife and I have a gazillion points and cannot get an upgrade to LAX because the seats are always reserved for these twits. It is the only place we go.

Ok. Prove all five were red shirt Thaksinista sand worshiping remote control ear medicine guzzling money bag smuggling thugs. And then kindly explain why they would ever allow one true yellow board member to be involved, and why the military refused his resignation.

You can't, because you are incorrect.

You are beating a broken drum to an empty stadium, though you did bring a few friends to your million man march.

Free tickets are nothing. Empty seats neither gain nor lose revenue. They are empty -- and THAI has a LOT of those.

I wonder why. I am sure it has nothing to do with servixce quality, no way, it's those red shirt Thaksinista sand worshiping remote control ear medicine guzzling money bag smuggling thugs.

That explains every problem in the country -- even those that happened before Thaksin was in the limelight. He is retroactively guilty....

What trite rubbish.

FangFerang, are you a 12 year old pretending to be a grown up here on TV? Do you think, that for one second, Thai would deny a Thai board member a seat even if the plane was fully booked? How long have you been in Thailand - landed yesterday?

• Like 2