Thailand downgraded to be among worst human trafficking centres

Lite Beer

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sanctions wont make any difference , we are talking about greedy corrupt parasites

It will be that greed that will eventually see the end of this trafficking - if people put pressure on the corporations that are profiting from this practice.

He also remarked that Thailand needed to reform the legal system and ensure transparency in investigations.

Careful wording there, note reform of the legal system NOT simply the police like everyone likes to blame but the whole lot, ie the legal system is as messed up and corrupt as everything else. Something of course that no one has been saying much about fixing, perhaps something due to the class that usually sit in the judicial seats. whistling.gif

The Junta is making no distinction between rich and poor, and the reforms WILL be including the judiciary.

Up to now the big corporates and their decision makers have been sheilded from prosecution by their wealth. That is going to be the best thing to come from reforms.

I think the imprisonment of Yingluck is going to be a major show-piece that you can't hide behind money and give backhanders any more.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Looks like the Cambodian slaves are voting with their feet. Not like this event has any effect whatsoever on individule Thais or will change the culture of slavery in Asia. Perhaps America needs to look at its own use of slaves in their foreign enterprises as well as domestic?

The U.S. continues to monitor this and American companies understand full well that the American public will turn away from products shown to be produced with slave labor. If not out of moral outrage the companies will respond to economic pressure.

Here are some examples of American child labour, where is the moral outrage from the American public on these clips from Human Rights Watch ?. The Hypocrisy of the US and US citizens in relation to this is despicable. When is the USA going to downgrade itself. ?

I would appreciate your views on these videos, or the views of other Americans. But I know that you will not reply, you and other Americans will stick your heads in the sand.

For some reason your links would not work, so I went to HRW and watched on their website. Having worked 45 years in Western Kentucky, I am well aware of tobacco farming. But most of the farms I am aware of were privately owned family farms and the child labor were primarily family members. Migrant labor certainly was used on some of the larger farms. The migrant labor in the U.S. moves around different states as the the different crops come in. I think, worldwide, the base issue is poverty and the growing wealth gap.

As an educated American and a Democrat, I have not and do not agree with paying lower wages in agriculture and restaurant work. Agriculture work conditions is also not limited to children, that is what Caesar Chavez spent his life fighting. Nor do I agree with child labor. Do not paint me with your broad brush. To have the U.S. make a statement that more needs to be done in Thailand does not mean there is not more to do in the U.S. HOWEVER, to equate the overall U.S. labor picture with the issues here in S.E. Asia is really pushing it. If you wish to get as incensed as I do about things in the U.S. take more time and investigate the human trafficking taking place. The U.S. is, I am afraid, beset with many critical issues currently, I fear for my country's near term future. The point is not the U.S. Vs. (fill in the blank). The issue is WE all have a problem, what are WE to do about it? You accuse me of turning a blind eye, of burying my head, and then condemn we Americans for not turning a blind eye in S.E. Asia and elsewhere? You condemn us for taking an action, you condemn us when we do not take action. Puts me in a bind in listening to you in your accusatory manner. As you addressed me as an individual, and you are ignorant of anything about me, this is highly insulting.

The Junta is making no distinction between rich and poor, and the reforms WILL be including the judiciary.

Up to now the big corporates and their decision makers have been sheilded from prosecution by their wealth. That is going to be the best thing to come from reforms.

I think the imprisonment of Yingluck is going to be a major show-piece that you can't hide behind money and give backhanders any more.

And you seriously think wealth, position,and political persuasion will count for nothing?

You do know this is Thailand we are talking about?

Looks like the Cambodian slaves are voting with their feet. Not like this event has any effect whatsoever on individule Thais or will change the culture of slavery in Asia. Perhaps America needs to look at its own use of slaves in their foreign enterprises as well as domestic?

The U.S. continues to monitor this and American companies understand full well that the American public will turn away from products shown to be produced with slave labor. If not out of moral outrage the companies will respond to economic pressure.

Here are some examples of American child labour, where is the moral outrage from the American public on these clips from Human Rights Watch ?. The Hypocrisy of the US and US citizens in relation to this is despicable. When is the USA going to downgrade itself. ?

I would appreciate your views on these videos, or the views of other Americans. But I know that you will not reply, you and other Americans will stick your heads in the sand.

First of all, I am highly insulted by your personal attack on me, "But I know that you will not reply, you and other Americans will stick your heads in the sand". If I chose not to reply it would be as a result of your lack of personal social skills. I am affronted at your tone when you are ignorant of knowing anything about me. A very broad brush you are using. Have a personal issue with Americans in particular or were you just not brought up with any manners?

The issue here is Thailand not the U.S. Are you saying there is no Thai issues here? That being said, I have gone to the HRW website and viewed the video. I am left of center and a Democrat politically so I do not have any problem with denouncing wrongdoing in business or government spheres. Having lived and worked 45 years in W. Kentucky I am aware of tobacco farming. Most that I am familar with used family members in "child labor". There was, without question, migrant adult labor employed. These were migrant laborers that moved across the U.S. following the crop work through harvest. While the presentation focused on children, the issue of unsafe working conditions in agriculture was the focus of Caesar Chavez's lifelong work. There are several important issues to be addressed without question. I have and continue to be opposed to child labor and reduced minimum wages in the agriculture and restaurant work fields. We are now pushing for a higher minimum wage in the U.S. and increased working condition protections but are being blocked by the Republican mind set.

No one is saying the U.S. does not have its own work cut out to be addressed. I fear for my country with all the pressures now evidenced internally and internationally. Do your own study and draw the world's attention to the problems but do not condemn the U.S., on one hand for taking action, or condemn it yet again for not speaking out on international issues.

I wonder if they'll consider where the demand is for sex workers.

They only tackle the suppliers, ie poor countries, but forget that many of these women and children are exported to America itself.

But then that would put US on their own list, which wouldn't work for them.

Except that "they" do not forget, and the US has put the US on its own list.

Please have a read of the report. It really is a gold standard. It really does tell things the way they are, including in the United States. As someone said in this or another thread, if someone finds a case of trafficking or slavery in the United States (as happens very, very frequently), the one reaction that does not and will NOT occur from Washington or other state/local authorities is, "Well it's worse in Thailand." In this specific case, there is absolutely no hypocrisy.

I suggest you also drop that particular defence. The moral equivalence thing is usually silly but in this case it simply doesn't work. If you must defend slavery and human rights abuses in Thailand, do that, instead of comparing it to other places.

Thanks, I will try to find time to read the report. Of course human trafficking is nasty and I would never try to defend it, my post was merely a reaction to the headline and a quick read of the article which is all I had time for (not much time for TV nowadays).

I got bored a long time ago of trawling through the usual bickering which this forum is famous for.

I'm glad that the US acknowledges it's own part in the monstrous business of slavery.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thai Ambassador to the US said on BBC that the country could do more and will, he then detailed all that's being done and felt it was enough for LoS to remain in Tier 2.

Now it remains to be seen if any sort of sanctions will be imposed after 01 Oct or will the US decide that a warning to an ' old friend and ally ' will be enough ?

Does the US really think the Thais will worry about mere words from foreigners who don't understand Thainess whereas sanctions might actually get their attention ?

Considering how much time was given the this subject on the militaries live broadcast last night you can rest assured that there is a major concern over the perception of how other countries are currently viewing Thailand,it was even the first item on the broadcast!

Yes, and the military will get it sorted out... They are not screwing around now, when they say something, they mean business.

It really shows what the Thaksin regime has done for Thailand's image over the years.

The Yingluck administration got downgraded the last time and vowed to make changes..... they did nothing.... Why?

Because there was no money to be made from it for ministers.... that's why.

If their is money in it.... The PTP put 'their all' into it.

Looking forward to the huge clean up...... Many heads to roll on this one.... Maybe another gross negligence charge for Yingluck won't go amiss.

Considering Thailand was on tire 2 for the past 4 years, and the Y/L admin was in power for 2.5 years just gone, so just who was running the country back then??? was it Mark and Suthep??? have another go at your propaganda mate and see if you can do a better job of it.

Where do you get any indication that the legal system itself is up for reform. So far there has been absolutely NO mention of the whatsoever.

You really think Yingluck is going to jail? For what exactly. She might not be the greatest PM the country ever had, but do you really think they are going to be able to find that she herself profited from anything? In fact what they have on her is that they are charging her with dereliction of duty. I.e. Not doing her job to a requisite minimum, and when they look at the rice thing, it may well be that she didnt' attend. Does that make her guilty to go to jail? My lord, if that is the level they are holding people to these days, there won't be many people left in office in Thailand.

If they lock up everyone who is complicit in corruption by not acting, there will be literally NO ONE left working for the government in Thailand. Being guilty of keeping a blind eye on something everyone in government in thailand is guilty of. Could you imagine if they used this type of measure on how the army operates? Bloody hell.

• Like 1

Where do you get any indication that the legal system itself is up for reform. So far there has been absolutely NO mention of the whatsoever.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736236-public-input-to-be-welcomed-prayuth/

He said emergency issues such as political and justice system reform, which had created conflict in the past, would be solved within a year.

They are going to reform pretty much everything including the judiciary.

Edited by ukrules

The Thai Ambassador to the US said on BBC that the country could do more and will, he then detailed all that's being done and felt it was enough for LoS to remain in Tier 2.

Now it remains to be seen if any sort of sanctions will be imposed after 01 Oct or will the US decide that a warning to an ' old friend and ally ' will be enough ?

Does the US really think the Thais will worry about mere words from foreigners who don't understand Thainess whereas sanctions might actually get their attention ?

Considering how much time was given the this subject on the militaries live broadcast last night you can rest assured that there is a major concern over the perception of how other countries are currently viewing Thailand,it was even the first item on the broadcast!

Yes, and the military will get it sorted out... They are not screwing around now, when they say something, they mean business.

It really shows what the Thaksin regime has done for Thailand's image over the years.

The Yingluck administration got downgraded the last time and vowed to make changes..... they did nothing.... Why?

Because there was no money to be made from it for ministers.... that's why.

If their is money in it.... The PTP put 'their all' into it.

Looking forward to the huge clean up...... Many heads to roll on this one.... Maybe another gross negligence charge for Yingluck won't go amiss.

As stated in another thread, try reading the report.

Get it sorted out, lol. They are named as one of the causes.

Well done to America in this issue and hope they follow through with heavy sanctions and consumers boycott all products linked with slavery

Its about time - we have been holding back on the Thai's too long , I say more than 14 years by my count - they pretend to not know what's going on in their country by not looking at what is really going on - perfect example is the 'underage' sex laws - they are written for everyone living in Thailand - but in reality only applies to "Thai's" if the girls are Cambodian, Vietnamese, Burmese or even just recently discovered Bangladeshi's - as long as they are not Thai it's "OK" The Thai military (Navy) were actively involved in Burmese slaves on fishing boats, and chose to sink the boats with everyone on board (Thai & Burmese) rather than answer questions on hiow they were allowed to operate - The Coup leaders are Thai Army, with little or no respect for the Thai Navy - calling them "A Flower in the King's button hole" I can say it in Thai, but my spelling will be incorrect.............

This is not speculation on my part, its a fact of Thai life - I've been associated with this country since 1971, particuluarly in the South, Bang Suray, Pattaya, Sattahip,, Samae San, Bang Chaang, Uthapao, Rayong, Hat yai - all Thai Navy areas and have seen the double standard everywhere.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736236-public-input-to-be-welcomed-prayuth/

He said emergency issues such as political and justice system reform, which had created conflict in the past, would be solved within a year.

They are going to reform pretty much everything including the judiciary.

They think they can reform the entire justice system in a year? Hohoho. By definition that means they aren't going to change very much.

When people are let off an allowed to leave the county having murdered policemen, there is quite a lot to reform that goes way beyond the legal system. They need to reform Thainess to change things like that.

You really think Yingluck is going to jail? For what exactly. She might not be the greatest PM the country ever had, but do you really think they are going to be able to find that she herself profited from anything? In fact what they have on her is that they are charging her with dereliction of duty. I.e. Not doing her job to a requisite minimum, and when they look at the rice thing, it may well be that she didnt' attend. Does that make her guilty to go to jail? My lord, if that is the level they are holding people to these days, there won't be many people left in office in Thailand.

If they lock up everyone who is complicit in corruption by not acting, there will be literally NO ONE left working for the government in Thailand. Being guilty of keeping a blind eye on something everyone in government in thailand is guilty of. Could you imagine if they used this type of measure on how the army operates? Bloody hell.

There has been 0 mention of Judicial reform or the legal system.... not once . Thumper is making it up as usual.

Saved me a post saying very similar Thanks thumbsup.gif

Hmm, if Thailand wants to clean up it's human rights record, perhaps they should start with the families in northern Thailand that force their daughters into prostitution.

A silly, irrelevant and cheap-shot analogy, if I may say so.

In what way? Is this not the truth? Perhaps you should wake up, remove the rose tinted spectacles and smell the coffee...

Washington not yet decide on sanctions against Thailand

BANGKOK, 22 June 2014 (NNT) - The U.S. has announced that it will not yet impose sanctions on 23 countries, including Thailand, it downgraded to the lowest “Tier 3” of the U.S. human trafficking watch list.

Ambassador-at-Large to Combating Human Trafficking in Asia Luis CdeBaca said whether the U.S. would impose sanctions on Thailand depended on U.S. President Barack Obama. The U.S. mostly waited to see how the countries in “Tier 3” tackled the problem and considered support for them before making a decision on sanctions against them, the ambassador said.

As for Thailand, Mr CdeBaca said Thailand had made a good effort in eradicating human trafficking but there had not been sufficient results. He also remarked that Thailand needed to reform the legal system and ensure transparency in investigations.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-06-22 footer_n.gif

How ironic, the great evil, Uncle Sugar doles out sanctions while they commit every crime and atrocity in the book, yet no one takes them to task... This too shall change as many countries are sick and tired of US hypocrisy...

• Like 1

Washington not yet decide on sanctions against Thailand

BANGKOK, 22 June 2014 (NNT) - The U.S. has announced that it will not yet impose sanctions on 23 countries, including Thailand, it downgraded to the lowest “Tier 3” of the U.S. human trafficking watch list.

Ambassador-at-Large to Combating Human Trafficking in Asia Luis CdeBaca said whether the U.S. would impose sanctions on Thailand depended on U.S. President Barack Obama. The U.S. mostly waited to see how the countries in “Tier 3” tackled the problem and considered support for them before making a decision on sanctions against them, the ambassador said.

As for Thailand, Mr CdeBaca said Thailand had made a good effort in eradicating human trafficking but there had not been sufficient results. He also remarked that Thailand needed to reform the legal system and ensure transparency in investigations.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-06-22 footer_n.gif

How ironic, the great evil, Uncle Sugar doles out sanctions while they commit every crime and atrocity in the book, yet no one takes them to task... This too shall change as many countries are sick and tired of US hypocrisy...

Strong words.

100% True.

Very few could say so, openly.

thumbsup.gif

They only tackle the suppliers, ie poor countries, but forget that many of these women and children are exported to America itself.

Please have a read of the report. It really is a gold standard. It really does tell things the way they are, including in the United States. As someone said in this or another thread, if someone finds a case of trafficking or slavery in the United States (as happens very, very frequently), the one reaction that does not and will NOT occur from Washington or other state/local authorities is, "Well it's worse in Thailand." In this specific case, there is absolutely no hypocrisy.

I suggest you also drop that particular defence. The moral equivalence thing is usually silly but in this case it simply doesn't work. If you must defend slavery and human rights abuses in Thailand, do that, instead of comparing it to other places.

It's ignored, they stick their heads in the sand and ignore it

For some reason your links would not work, so I went to HRW and watched on their website. Having worked 45 years in Western Kentucky, I am well aware of tobacco farming. But most of the farms I am aware of were privately owned family farms and the child labor were primarily family members. Migrant labor certainly was used on some of the larger farms. The migrant labor in the U.S. moves around different states as the the different crops come in. I think, worldwide, the base issue is poverty and the growing wealth gap.

As an educated American and a Democrat, I have not and do not agree with paying lower wages in agriculture and restaurant work. Agriculture work conditions is also not limited to children, that is what Caesar Chavez spent his life fighting. Nor do I agree with child labor. Do not paint me with your broad brush. To have the U.S. make a statement that more needs to be done in Thailand does not mean there is not more to do in the U.S. HOWEVER, to equate the overall U.S. labor picture with the issues here in S.E. Asia is really pushing it. If you wish to get as incensed as I do about things in the U.S. take more time and investigate the human trafficking taking place. The U.S. is, I am afraid, beset with many critical issues currently, I fear for my country's near term future. The point is not the U.S. Vs. (fill in the blank). The issue is WE all have a problem, what are WE to do about it? You accuse me of turning a blind eye, of burying my head, and then condemn we Americans for not turning a blind eye in S.E. Asia and elsewhere? You condemn us for taking an action, you condemn us when we do not take action. Puts me in a bind in listening to you in your accusatory manner. As you addressed me as an individual, and you are ignorant of anything about me, this is highly insulting.

You stated that the American public will turn away from products, that they have a deep sense of outrage to such things. This is completely false. They point fingers at other places in the world whilst ignoring what goes on in their own back yard. Apologies for singling you out as an Individual, but it is common practice for Americans and others to vanish from topics when they don't like what they hear. Just count the number of threads started on this topic and then abandoned to reappear on new thread a few days later

The video I posted was not about migrant workers that move from town to town and farm to farm. It was about children who are American citizens, who work longer hours than it is legal for adults to work during school hours. It also was not about children working on family farms.

This practice of child abuse is legal in American agricultural laws, the only reason is continues to remain legal is that the American public, who don't get outraged by it want cheap vegetables.

First of all, I am highly insulted by your personal attack on me, "But I know that you will not reply, you and other Americans will stick your heads in the sand". If I chose not to reply it would be as a result of your lack of personal social skills. I am affronted at your tone when you are ignorant of knowing anything about me. A very broad brush you are using. Have a personal issue with Americans in particular or were you just not brought up with any manners?

The issue here is Thailand not the U.S. Are you saying there is no Thai issues here? That being said, I have gone to the HRW website and viewed the video. I am left of center and a Democrat politically so I do not have any problem with denouncing wrongdoing in business or government spheres. Having lived and worked 45 years in W. Kentucky I am aware of tobacco farming. Most that I am familar with used family members in "child labor". There was, without question, migrant adult labor employed. These were migrant laborers that moved across the U.S. following the crop work through harvest. While the presentation focused on children, the issue of unsafe working conditions in agriculture was the focus of Caesar Chavez's lifelong work. There are several important issues to be addressed without question. I have and continue to be opposed to child labor and reduced minimum wages in the agriculture and restaurant work fields. We are now pushing for a higher minimum wage in the U.S. and increased working condition protections but are being blocked by the Republican mind set.

No one is saying the U.S. does not have its own work cut out to be addressed. I fear for my country with all the pressures now evidenced internally and internationally. Do your own study and draw the world's attention to the problems but do not condemn the U.S., on one hand for taking action, or condemn it yet again for not speaking out on international issues.

Why is is perfectly acceptable for the US to condemn any one or any country it wishes, but not acceptable for anyone to condemn the US. The US hasn't taken any action, even if they blacklist Thailand, they will simply import from another part of the world where abuses of other workers take place.

I believe these statements from the US are just more talk. I have become suspicious of the latest announcement from the US

"Ambassador-at-Large to Combating Human Trafficking in Asia Luis CdeBaca said whether the U.S. would impose sanctions on Thailand depended on U.S. President Barack Obama. "

This statement leads me to believe that this is just another exercise in hanging Obama out to dry, he will not be permitted by Corporate interests to lay sanctions against 23 countries, it is too much profit to lose. But it will once again make him look weak.

Why should something of this nature need Presidential approval ?

Can you advise where the report is available for download, I have been looking for it but can only find media reports about the report, but not the actual report itself.

Why is is perfectly acceptable for the US to condemn any one or any country it wishes, but not acceptable for anyone to condemn the US. The US hasn't taken any action, even if they blacklist Thailand, they will simply import from another part of the world where abuses of other workers take place.

I believe these statements from the US are just more talk. I have become suspicious of the latest announcement from the US

"Ambassador-at-Large to Combating Human Trafficking in Asia Luis CdeBaca said whether the U.S. would impose sanctions on Thailand depended on U.S. President Barack Obama. "

This statement leads me to believe that this is just another exercise in hanging Obama out to dry, he will not be permitted by Corporate interests to lay sanctions against 23 countries, it is too much profit to lose. But it will once again make him look weak.

Does not "need" Presidential approval. I believe it means he has some leeway in assessing sanctions. I cannot disagree concerning the power of the power of the corporations, recently being made even stronger by the U.S. Supreme Court. Nor can I disagree with your assessment about the concerted efforts aimed at Obama.

At the bottom line, I also cannot disagree concerning the allowance of wrongdoing by the American people, made even worse, if we are to claim we are a democracy. I do believe a people, whether it be here in Thailand, in the U.S. In China, Sudan, etc. are responsible for rising up and forcing governments to be responsible to the peoples needs. But, I suppose, I am more understanding in the main concerns of the people being what immediately affects their daily lives. Color me frustrated.

It's a part of a process that requires Presidential approval for tier 3 sanctions to be implemented, or not. From the State Department...

"all or part of the TVPA’s sanctions can be waived if the President determines that the provision of such assistance to the government would promote the purposes of the statute or is otherwise in the United States’ national interest. The TVPA also provides for a waiver of sanctions if necessary to avoid significant adverse effects on vulnerable populations, including women and children"

http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2013/210543.htm

• Like 1