Public embraces junta: Thai analysis

webfact

And surprise, surprise, Suthep reveals at his fund raising event, "have dinner with kamnan suthep", how he has been advising prayuth on how to get rid of the "Thaksin Regime" since 2010. The other paper goes so far as to suggest that prayuth has been actively plotting to bring down Yingluck Shinawatra - I expect their reporters will be "invited" for an "attitude adjustment" chat in the very near future.

So much for keeping quiet about politics in this period of "happiness"

From the evidence of what we've seen the junta have done something which doesn't appear anywhere in the Book of Thainess. It's called forward planning.

Or did you think the general woke up one morning and thought, "Hmm....nice day for a coup."

Not at all. I'm well aware of what has been happening.

However, there are more than a few on here that have been constantly maintaining that suthep and the pdrc were not part of a common strategy to overthrow the government and that prayuth just decided to have a coup because the talks between the caretaker government and sutheps lot had failed after just two sessions of "talks".

Lecture them, not me.

I will lecture you as you either dont know or not want to admit the truth.

They always plan things in case of. This does not mean they wantes this. If the killings stopped or the talks worked the coup would not have happened.

There is a difference in planning for the event of something or actively planning for aomething.

Many newspapers have the obituaries of public figures ready. That does not mean they want them dead, it means they will act if certain things happen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is a difference in planning for the event of something or actively planning for aomething.

You seem to be missing the point that they were not "planning for the event", but were deliberately, actively planning for the coup, and just waiting for the right moment to do it, and had been doing so for quite some time.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC World TV is doing a heavy piece on the NCPO's crackdown on dissent and showing people in Bkk being arrested for very innocuous acts.

I can see the station being blocked once more and Jonathon ' Dick ' Head having to get out of the country fast, again.

The other paper reported on those arrests yesterday: one man for reading the novel '1984' silently and I kid you not, for playing the French national anthem on his phone (all that liberty, equality, fraternity stuff get's them all hot and bothered) outside Siam Paragon, he was dragged off by undercover police officers, several were arrested for preparing to hand out sandwiches whistling.gif and the eighth person, a woman, was arrested for wearing a T shirt that had the 'Respect my Vote' slogan on it.

And funny how they were being followed by reporters and trying to draw attention to themselves isn't it. It is all bs set up by 'reds' to try and make the military look bad. 'Zero tolerance' means just that and they should be arrested for gross stupidity ! I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Yes of couorse. But guys like Fab4 tend to focus of small cases where people clearly broke the law in stead of concentrating on all the terror and destructing the Thaksin clan have caused that is finally coming to light.

• Like 1

The first month in power is part of the "honeymoon period" usually enjoyed by every new administration. The junta has been able to make quick decisions due to an absence of opposition. Only time will tell whether its perceived successes today will lead to sustainable changes and improvements in the long run.

A little different this time. Not sure how you would call "give me six months" a successful honeymoon. Or a minority government unable to effect real changes right off a honeymoon. On the other hand the two previous governments were considered good because they were both owned by Thaksin and nothing was really expected from them.

If the junta was to stay in power only one month it would still have accomplished more than Thaksin did it in all his previous incarnations. It has far to go but it is at least working on it. Not just talking about it.

At the rate they are going look for an increase in immigration to Dubai.wai.gif

BBC World TV is doing a heavy piece on the NCPO's crackdown on dissent and showing people in Bkk being arrested for very innocuous acts.

I can see the station being blocked once more and Jonathon ' Dick ' Head having to get out of the country fast, again.

The other paper reported on those arrests yesterday: one man for reading the novel '1984' silently and I kid you not, for playing the French national anthem on his phone (all that liberty, equality, fraternity stuff get's them all hot and bothered) outside Siam Paragon, he was dragged off by undercover police officers, several were arrested for preparing to hand out sandwiches whistling.gif and the eighth person, a woman, was arrested for wearing a T shirt that had the 'Respect my Vote' slogan on it.

And funny how they were being followed by reporters and trying to draw attention to themselves isn't it. It is all bs set up by 'reds' to try and make the military look bad. 'Zero tolerance' means just that and they should be arrested for gross stupidity ! I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Really? Perhaps you better read the BP article before making comments.

From the evidence of what we've seen the junta have done something which doesn't appear anywhere in the Book of Thainess. It's called forward planning.

Or did you think the general woke up one morning and thought, "Hmm....nice day for a coup."

However, there are more than a few on here that have been constantly maintaining that suthep and the pdrc were not part of a common strategy to overthrow the government and that prayuth just decided to have a coup because the talks between the caretaker government and sutheps lot had failed after just two sessions of "talks".

Lecture them, not me.

They always plan things in case of. This does not mean they wantes this. If the killings stopped or the talks worked the coup would not have happened.

Many newspapers have the obituaries of public figures ready. That does not mean they want them dead, it means they will act if certain things happen.

You seem to be missing the point that they were not "planning for the event", but were deliberately, actively planning for the coup, and just waiting for the right moment to do it, and had been doing so for quite some time.

Prove it.. what you are saying is they made sure anti government would clash with reds and reds would massacre anti government including children. That is a harsh statement.. and libel unless you got proof.

I am stating they planned for the event of a coup if both parties would go on and on and more people would get hurt. I am saying they did nothing to make this happen and let both parties do their thing and would only act if it went wrong.

• Like 1

AFAIK the military is still controlling the press and media in Thailand. Please keep that in mind while reading all the wonderful news and stories.

Quite. Any government with the ability to control the media would be doing a terrific job and enjoying widespread support.
Where I live in Chiang Mai people genuinely are happier with junta than eyingluck

Yes of couorse. But guys like Fab4 tend to focus of small cases where people clearly broke the law in stead of concentrating on all the terror and destructing the Thaksin clan have caused that is finally coming to light.

Breaking the law? Reading books, handing out sandwiches and wearing T shirts! And you brush that off. Just how insecure do you need to be to arrest people for those "activities"?

And surprise, surprise, Suthep reveals at his fund raising event, "have dinner with kamnan suthep", how he has been advising prayuth on how to get rid of the "Thaksin Regime" since 2010. The other paper goes so far as to suggest that prayuth has been actively plotting to bring down Yingluck Shinawatra - I expect their reporters will be "invited" for an "attitude adjustment" chat in the very near future.

Lecture them, not me.

How do you know? And if it is true... I for one am so. Happy

BBC went down from one of the best News channel to a propaganda channel for US/UK new world order.

And Jonathan Head is known for his close relations with the red shirts.

So both sides just put their propaganda...

Sadly, I have to agree that the BBC is not what it used to be.

I did three different interviews for BBC Radio in the early days of the coup, one for the World Service.

They each wanted to hear what it was like for 'ordinary people' but it soon became clear that, really, they expected something 'sensational'.

They didn't get it from me and all my Thai wife could say was "what's all the fuss about? It's good that the army has taken over".

Not the sort of thing they really wanted to hear - the only negative things I could say were that the schools were closed, there was a curfew (which didn't affect us anyway) and we had no TV.

The World Service 'interview', which was supposed to be live, instead was recorded and hacked to pieces so that what was eventually broadcast was highly selective.

Thank goodness for Aljazeera!

Edited by awayego
  • Like 2

Didn't the last coup prove anything to you guys?

They planted an unelected abhisit in power and they had ample time to implement the very reforms you so highly praise the latest leaders of the coup for doing yet you bang on and on about thaksin .

Anyway the good general will be calling for elections as soon as possible and has told the world as much.

It will be interesting to see if there is any change to the landslide victories delivered to the PTP in the preceding elections.

I don't think so .

I think this is just a replay of the past whether there is colours or no colours.

yeap he should be thrown for reporting what's going on. Deportation of 100, thousands of Cambodians, people protesting by ripping up free cinema tickets then having their pictures taken by the police for later use real gutter reporting.

Anyway's so apart from the West USA EU Britain and the UN all is well, think Cambodia would also be on that list. Going to be some snags when Thailand needs at attend some major summits who's going to represent them.

Just wonder where this survey was done, doubt many rural area's in the North East were covered

Edited by marstons

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

""Sooner or later, you [the junta] have to open up common space for the people. Space doesn’t mean instigation. It means catharsis where people can release tension," she said." (Pirongrong Ramasoota Rananand, from Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Communication Arts,)

I love it. A Thai academic hippy.

She's right though.

True. But did she tell the whole story about how it is necessary to close many holes first.

Public embraces propaganda should be the headline !

What propaganda? facepalm.gif

Public is embracing good news should be the head line.thumbsup.gif

In 2010 Yingluck was not even in politics. cheesy.gif now that is propagandaclap2.gif

Prove it.. what you are saying is they made sure anti government would clash with reds and reds would massacre anti government including children. That is a harsh statement.. and libel unless you got proof.

I am stating they planned for the event of a coup if both parties would go on and on and more people would get hurt. I am saying they did nothing to make this happen and let both parties do their thing and would only act if it went wrong.

I could easily turn the tables on you and challenge you to prove me wrong, but then we get into school yard argument stupidity. Let's just accept the fact that you have your opinion, which you are entitled to, and I have mine, which I am entitled to. Basically, agree to disagree.

So far so good.

However early days yet. Let us hope that the positive attitude being shown at this ,moment in time is for real and will be an effective and an ongoing scenario.

Corruption and the abuse of power and position will never ever be completely eradicated, human nature being what it is (greedy) hence ongoing vigilance is essential.

Thailand and its peoples are in a position now to change their future. It is up to, in fact it is the duty of those in power to remember that they are serving the people and for those in power to to remember that they are public servants not the other way round.

When the honeymoon period is over then we may well in fact we will be able to judge matters with a more discriminating critical eye and the outcome of the military take over and the subsequent events that emerge from the matter.

Indeed we live in interesting times.

Yes, time will tell but so far the General and the Junta have been impressive. Give them more time, (another month?), to work their magic freely. We don't need any adverse reports at this time and especially by the the likes of Jonathon Head.

Man reading 1984 and eating a sandwich (in public). I am not clear what his crime was: was it reading something other than a comic book? Was it the book? Was it the sandwich?

My bet it was the sandwich. 7 years in jail for eating a sandwich? Junta done some good things, no problem there. Easy to get high ratings when no other views are tolerated. Someone once said "No government ever shut down a press that agreed with it".

Doesn't really matter what colour you have an affiliation for, the revelations from Suthep will be a bombshell delivered to the Junta, as it's not what the TVF members think, it's what the various Governments and institution across the globe think, who are non partisan to either the PTP or the Dems. Suthep has confirmed that the power play has been in place since 2010, after they lost control, after being placed there by the previous coup.

The fact he's intimating that General Prayuth has been a part of that all along, does not paint a very good picture, it's called conspiring, it also make a complete mockery of the Generals " For the Thai people" claims, or anything that he now asks for "transparency" when he's been as transparent as lead.

There will now be claims that he's pulled the wool over the entire population, of course his detractors who said he was part of the "PDRC campaign to oust the Shiniwatras" will feel vindicated.

So much for Suthep stepping away from the limelight and Politics, he should have kept his mouth shut.

• Like 2

If what Suthep says is true: that this coup has been in the works since 2010, that could be a bombshell for the junta to try and frantically defuse. As Fat Hagis said above, it totally destroys the statements by the junta that the coup was brought about to "restore peace" to the Thai, and can be now be seen as a well planned, thought out coup to rid Thailand of the "Thaksin influence", which is not going to sit well with a lot of people, and may even change the minds of a few previous supporters. Only time will tell.

Regardless of whether its true or not, Suthep should have kept his mouth shut. Like the old saying goes: Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubts.

People are protest fatigue and will welcome anything that can bring life to some normality and for businesses to function. So happen it is a coup and not an election which is more desirable. Coup it is and seem the right kind of populist actions enough to win the hearts of the people. Still early honeymoon days and hope that the right reforms will continue to win the hearts of the people months down the road. If reconciliation is their top priority, they need also to listen to opposing and uncomfortable views even from BBC.

The Nation is now reporting that the new Interm charter is nearly completed, but with one major change.

The drafting of the interim constitution has been almost done and the junta has ordered an amendment to free the next charter from public referendum requirement, Isara News Agency reported.

The agency quoted a source from the National Council for Peace and Order as saying that the Wissanu Krea-Ngam, a legal advisor of the NCPO, has submitted a draft of the interim charter for the junta to consider.

The draft interim charter would require the new constitution to be drafted by a constitution drafting assembly to be approved by a national referendum but the junta told Wissanu to delete the clause, the Isara News agency said.

In other words, the public will have zero to say about the new charter. Good or bad, it's going to be shoved down their throats, much the same way as the last one was, and there's not a damn thing they can say or do about it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Doesn't really matter what colour you have an affiliation for, the revelations from Suthep will be a bombshell delivered to the Junta, as it's not what the TVF members think, it's what the various Governments and institution across the globe think, who are non partisan to either the PTP or the Dems. Suthep has confirmed that the power play has been in place since 2010, after they lost control, after being placed there by the previous coup.

The fact he's intimating that General Prayuth has been a part of that all along, does not paint a very good picture, it's called conspiring, it also make a complete mockery of the Generals " For the Thai people" claims, or anything that he now asks for "transparency" when he's been as transparent as lead.

There will now be claims that he's pulled the wool over the entire population, of course his detractors who said he was part of the "PDRC campaign to oust the Shiniwatras" will feel vindicated.

So much for Suthep stepping away from the limelight and Politics, he should have kept his mouth shut.

Suthep knew EXACTLY what he was doing by making that "admission".

It was a stark reminder to Prayuth, lest the recent high approval ratings gave him any ideas about running for office or extending his tour of duty in the PM's chair.

It said, "Remember who you work for and who really runs the show. We can make you very uncomfortable indeed"

The Nation is now reporting that the new Interm charter is nearly completed, but with one major change.

The drafting of the interim constitution has been almost done and the junta has ordered an amendment to free the next charter from public referendum requirement, Isara News Agency reported.

The agency quoted a source from the National Council for Peace and Order as saying that the Wissanu Krea-Ngam, a legal advisor of the NCPO, has submitted a draft of the interim charter for the junta to consider.

The draft interim charter would require the new constitution to be drafted by a constitution drafting assembly to be approved by a national referendum but the junta told Wissanu to delete the clause, the Isara News agency said.

In other words, the public will have zero to say about the new charter. Good or bad, it's going to be shoved down their throats, much the same way as the last one was, and there's not a damn thing they can say or do about it.

Keep the spice flowing....Frankly - public participation in the last few charters didn't make them good - did it? LOL

Keep the spice flowing....Frankly - public participation in the last few charters didn't make them good - did it? LOL

If you remember, or if you are even aware, the public had no say-so in the last charter. It was presented to them with the stipulations that it was against the law (military imposed) to say anything negative about it, and they were told to vote for it, or remain under martial law indefinitely. Some democracy, huh?

• Like 1

If you remember, or if you are even aware, the public had no say-so in the last charter. It was presented to them with the stipulations that it was against the law (military imposed) to say anything negative about it, and they were told to vote for it, or remain under martial law indefinitely. Some democracy, huh?

Ahh...doh....democracy? What part of martial law do you not understand? Back then or now.

Regardless the people who matter, the Thai public are happy with the current Junta and that is what matters.

• Like 1

Who cares what western people think - now we can run our own country properly without red shirt US influence - strange that a country so against communism would support such communist methods

You had better start to care.Where do you think most of your income comes from? I wish you all the luck in running your country "properly."

Ahh...doh....democracy? What part of martial law do you not understand? Back then or now.

Regardless the people who matter, the Thai public are happy with the current Junta and that is what matters.

Did I say anything about their "happiness" level. No, but you are trying to make it sound like i did. Try reading my post as it was written. The bottom line is that the military, just as before, is shoving a new constitution down the throats of the people, and telling them they have no say so in it. Is that the kind of democracy you want?

Lecture them, not me.

If you read the relevant article you would have realised that suthep said that he had been discussing strategy with prayuth since 2010. So he must have had a crystal ball to predict the events of December 2013 to May 2014 resulting in a coup d'etat which had already been planned for. How feasible an excuse does that sound to you, really?

Some people are so naive they will believe anything. So believe this, the junta now deny prayuth had ever talked to suthep aboout overthrowing the "Thaksin Regime".

So far, so predictable. The next move will be suthep issuing a statement stating he had been misquoted and when he said he had been advising prayuth on getting rid of the "Thaksin Regime" he actually meant he had been advising prayuth on how to cope with retirement. Not long now, September 21st, unless of course, he finds something else to do, like being Prime Minister for instance.............................

For me that sounds like Suthep want to bring himself into the game again. And make himself more important than he is. If the secretly plotted to bring down Yingluck why telling the secret now?

H90 you are a little bit out of touch with your comment, 'If the secretly plotted to bring down Yingluck why telling the secret now?". Sorry, no you are way out man. Suthep made it quite clear at the very begining that his objective with his months long demonstrations, was to unsurp both Yingluck and the Thaksin Clan.

• Like 1