Israeli air strikes target Syria after Golan death

webfact

Israeli air strikes target Syria after Golan death

JERUSALEM: -- Israel says it has carried out air strikes on military targets in Syria.

The military said it had attacked nine targets in response to the killing of a 15-year-old boy in a strike in the occupied Golan Heights on the border between the two countries on Sunday.

Two others, including the boy's father, an Israeli defence contractor, were injured when a blast hit their vehicle.

Israel called the boy's death the most substantial incident in the Golan since start of the Syrian conflict in 2011.

It is unclear whether Syrian rebels or government forces were behind the incident.

Israeli military spokesman, Lt Col Peter Lerner, told AP news agency the firing from Syria was "clearly intentional" but it was unclear whether it was the result of mortar fire, a roadside bomb or shelling.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27970274

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-23

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it just me or is Syria involved in the Iraq stuff as well - do they have an agenda

Would it be true to say that almost every conflict in the world right now involves muslims - we could probably exclude the Ukrain

is it just me or is Syria involved in the Iraq stuff as well - do they have an agenda

Would it be true to say that almost every conflict in the world right now involves muslims - we could probably exclude the Ukrain

The Syrian government is having trouble holding on to Syria.

The Iraqi "connection" is more to do with radical Sunni terrorist organizations which operate in both countries.

Then there's a refugee crisis, which encompasses Syria, Iraq and Jordan.

This action is going to complicate the situation in the area even more.

The inheritance of western meddling in Pan Arabic Semite affairs is now becoming more apparent.

Sure is turning out to be a dubious legacy.

How long before western forces are embroiled in yet another pointless conflict and body bags return home full.

Little or no cost for body bags. Big profit for ordinance manufacturer's and arms dealers sales people though.

Why would this complicate things further, as far as the USA and Western countries are concerned?

There were some similar incidents on Syria's borders involving Turkey, Israel and Jordan - so far it

did not have any massive effect on the fighting within Syria or on foreign involvement.

If Israel doesn't know the source of the alleged attack then what the hell were IDF attacking in response ? Most probably totally unrelated targets. As usual. Israel flying off the deep end with no facts and in a totally disproportionate manner. bah.gif

Israel targeted Syrian Army camps. If the Syrian regime claims to be sovereign, then it is responsible.

So far, the Syrian Army made an effort to keep control of the areas near the border, I think the Israeli response

has more to do with keeping that effort going.

• Like 2

And at the moment also israel is being super sensitive since three teenagers have been kidnapped and r being held by the hamas

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And at the moment also israel is being super sensitive since three teenagers have been kidnapped and r being held by the hamas

The only Hamas 'evidence' is an accusation from Netanyahu who blames them for everything. It's a totally disproportionate response to the kidnapping (lock up as many Palestinians as possible and kill a few more) as well as the disproportionate response to the bomb (or whatever it was) from an unknown source in Syria.

The kidnapping aside, being rather OT - what would you consider a "proportionate" response to a missile fired across the

border, killing a civilian and wounding others?

• Like 2

If Israel doesn't know the source of the alleged attack then what the hell were IDF attacking in response ? Most probably totally unrelated targets. As usual. Israel flying off the deep end with no facts and in a totally disproportionate manner. bah.gif

Israel targeted Syrian Army camps. If the Syrian regime claims to be sovereign, then it is responsible.

So far, the Syrian Army made an effort to keep control of the areas near the border, I think the Israeli response

I would find it very hard to believe the Syrian Army had anything to do with it. They are too busy fighting Jihadists and terrorists. The last thing Assad wants right now is a fight with Israel. My bet is that it was some rogue Muslim extremist group or just some Muslim street thugs that got hold of some weapons [not hard ATM]. Attacking Syrian forces is just ridiculous on Israel's part. Like it or not Assad's' regime is Israel's friend right now. Fighting perhaps Israel's most dangerous enemy right now. If ISIS/ISIL does succeed in creating an Islamic State that borders Israel then they will have BIG problems.

• Like 1

The only Hamas 'evidence' is an accusation from Netanyahu who blames them for everything. It's a totally disproportionate response to the kidnapping (lock up as many Palestinians as possible and kill a few more) as well as the disproportionate response to the bomb (or whatever it was) from an unknown source in Syria.

The kidnapping aside, being rather OT - what would you consider a "proportionate" response to a missile fired across the

Given the highly volatile situation in Syria, find out who fired the missile and hit them back. The Israeli response was just a typical knee-jerk reaction.

• Like 1

Given the highly volatile situation in Syria, find out who fired the missile and hit them back. The Israeli response was just a typical knee-jerk reaction.

Correct. thumbsup.gif

I would find it very hard to believe the Syrian Army had anything to do with it. They are too busy fighting Jihadists and terrorists. The last thing Assad wants right now is a fight with Israel. My bet is that it was some rogue Muslim extremist group or just some Muslim street thugs that got hold of some weapons [not hard ATM]. Attacking Syrian forces is just ridiculous on Israel's part. Like it or not Assad's' regime is Israel's friend right now. Fighting perhaps Israel's most dangerous enemy right now. If ISIS/ISIL does succeed in creating an Islamic State that borders Israel then they will have BIG problems.

Agreed it is not very likely that the Syrian Army per se was behind the attack.

That said, the area around and South of Damascus supports a few pro-government militias, which together with the army attempt to control the Syrian side of the border - and not all of them are quite as orderly and obedient as regular army units are.

Would have thought that it is up to the Syrian regime to make sure such attacks do not occur. This is not the first such attack and as I posted earlier, seems like it was more of a message to Assad to get his act together. If the IDF was intent on really causing harm to the Syrian Army it could have done much worse.

Pretty sure that if Israel was to attack any target within Syria, even one connected with those fighting Assad, the official response by the Syrian regime would be to denounce it as an act of aggression.

As far as I can make out from the Israeli media, btw, the current attitude toward the fighting in Syria is something like "We wish the best of luck to all sides involved"....

The only Hamas 'evidence' is an accusation from Netanyahu who blames them for everything.

They are a terrorist organization that has been behind thousands of suicide bombings and rocket attacks against innocent civilians inside Israel and everyone knows that Hamas' charter calls for the destruction of the State of Israel. As recently as 2014, Mousa Mohammed Abu Marzook, deputy chairman of Hamas political bureau, stated that "Hamas will not recognize Israel", and added "this is a red line that cannot be crossed". It is pretty obvious why Netanyahu blames them for everything. He would be a fool not to. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Agree. "If ISIS/ISIL does succeed in creating an Islamic State that borders Israel then they that Islamic State will have BIG problems." tongue.png

Correct. thumbsup.gif

Maybe an attempt by Syria to unite all the Muslims under the 'Protect the homeland the Jews are attacking banner", a tried an proven diversion. Remember the Israelis are Jews who will be reluctant to waste weapons unless it is required. Things are not always what they seem and Israeli intelligence services have a proven record of knowing what is happening in neighbouring areas.

Cheers

Would you prefer Israel to respond by firing into Syria without aiming or targeting?

DO you also think it should be rocket for rocket?

• Like 2

"It is unclear whether Syrian rebels or government forces were behind the incident." - and it is unclear from the above if it was government forces or the rebels that Israel targeted. I agree it would make more sense for Israel to attack the rebels but not long ago there was speculation that the US and other western countries were going to help strengthen the rebels against Assad - I always thought that was misguided.

Makes no difference if Syrian army was responsible or not.

What does make a difference as already has been pointed out, Syrian Army being under control of so called legitimate government suppose to prevent any and all attacks on another sovereign state, irrespective of origin, target or aim

• Like 2

The Iraqi "connection" is more to do with radical Sunni terrorist organizations which operate in both countries.

It is ridiculously complicated. Syria has been ruled by the Al -Assad family for decades, a family that represents a secular leadership, politically aligned with the Ba'athist party, the same political movement associated with the late Sadam Hussein in Iraq. The Ba'ath party is a pan-Arab party that theoretically unites all Arabs: Shia, Suuni, and smaller minority Arab groups. The Suuni anti-Assad insurgency in Syria is now connected to the Suuni insurgency against the Shia rule of Maleki in Iraq. Meanwhile the Shia Iranians are backing both the secular Al-Assad in Syria for strategic reasons against their Suuni foes as well as being the primary backers of Al-Maliki in Iraq. War always makes strange bedfellows. And I feel that it a tactical error, if not a conceptual error, by the US to call ISIS a terrorist organization rather than an insurgency movement currently fighting against two very different regimes.

The current refugee crisis is currently under reported by the western press. The International Red Cross is not allowed into Lebanon other than in a rather quiet advisory role. But having talked to one such advisor, it seems to be a far bigger humanitarian crisis than is being reported in the western press and is certain to become even more exacerbated over the coming months.

"Remember the Israelis are Jews who will be reluctant to waste weapons unless it is required."

cheesy.gif

Stereotype much?

Israel spends a ton on military and is a world military power. It has to do that because it is surrounded by people in nearby countries who have vowed to destroy it.

Israel has air superiority over all of those backwards terrorist countries as evidenced by it's ability to strike without retaliation. Israel won't deny or acknowledge that it is actually the sixth country on the world's exclusive list of nuclear powers. To be on that list they have to have ICBMs on land, ICMBs in submarines, and conventional nukes that can be dropped as bombs from an aircraft. No one else in the ME or N. Africa can come close.

Pakistan may be the only ME Muslim country that has nukes, and they are more worried about their eternal foe, India. India has them too.

If you don't know, google and read about the Six Day War to see how hard Israel is willing to fight. After WWII Israel was homeless and was given back the land it occupies by international decree. In 1967 a bunch of countries which hate Israel decided it would be a good idea to knock out Israel and rid themselves of the nuisance They struck.

In just six days, Israel knocked out the militaries of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Pakistan, Libya, Algeria, Morocco, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. Religious people could find no answer other than it was a miracle. Whatever, it will go down in world history as perhaps the greatest military victory of all time.

NOW DURING THE SIX DAY WAR Israel captured the Old City of Jerusalem, The Wall, and The Temple Mount. This is the first time Israel had its holiest site back for more than 2,000 years. Unfortunately in the interim, Muslims had built what to them was a very important temple on the site, which is believed by many to be the site where the temple was that is mentioned as a Jewish temple at the time of Christ.

Wanna fight? Muslims would give anything to get back in there and recapture that temple and temple site. Jews would give anything to keep it. So far all the Muslims can do is commit acts of terrorism against Israel, and quite regularly Israel gets tired of it and uses air strikes.

• Like 1

Would you prefer Israel to respond by firing into Syria without aiming or targeting?

DO you also think it should be rocket for rocket?

Oh please. facepalm.gif

The only Hamas 'evidence' is an accusation from Netanyahu who blames them for everything.

They are a terrorist organization that has been behind thousands of suicide bombings and rocket attacks against innocent civilians inside Israel and everyone knows that Hamas' charter calls for the destruction of the State of Israel. As recently as 2014, Mousa Mohammed Abu Marzook, deputy chairman of Hamas political bureau, stated that "Hamas will not recognize Israel", and added "this is a red line that cannot be crossed". It is pretty obvious why Netanyahu blames them for everything. He would be a fool not to. rolleyes.gif

Israel makes it very clear that they have no real desire to see a Palestinian state. So why should Hamas recognize an Israeli state? This constant demand to be "recognized" by Hamas is a red herring and provides the key underpinning to the continued occupation and slow removal of Palestinians from their land. Furthermore, Hamas represents Gaza, not all of Palestine.

On April 26th Abbas stated that a unity govt would recognize Israel. Obviously he has his work cut out for him to bring Hamas into agreement, but the fact that the leader of the majority of Palestinians (west bank has nearly double the number of Palestinians vs. the Gaza strip) is willing to agree appears to be a non-factor for Israel. They prefer to continue to portray ALL Pals in the same light.

Edited by kblaze
  • Like 1

It is ridiculously complicated. Syria has been ruled by the Al -Assad family for decades, a family that represents a secular leadership, politically aligned with the Ba'athist party, the same political movement associated with the late Sadam Hussein in Iraq. The Ba'ath party is a pan-Arab party that theoretically unites all Arabs: Shia, Suuni, and smaller minority Arab groups. The Suuni anti-Assad insurgency in Syria is now connected to the Suuni insurgency against the Shia rule of Maleki in Iraq. Meanwhile the Shia Iranians are backing both the secular Al-Assad in Syria for strategic reasons against their Suuni foes as well as being the primary backers of Al-Maliki in Iraq. War always makes strange bedfellows. And I feel that it a tactical error, if not a conceptual error, by the US to call ISIS a terrorist organization rather than an insurgency movement currently fighting against two very different regimes.

The current refugee crisis is currently under reported by the western press. The International Red Cross is not allowed into Lebanon other than in a rather quiet advisory role. But having talked to one such advisor, it seems to be a far bigger humanitarian crisis than is being reported in the western press and is certain to become even more exacerbated over the coming months.

I was giving a simplified answer to a simple question.

The Ba'ath Party ideology is mostly a thing of the past, and it was never all that successful in making it a reality.

Given the current divides within ethnic and religious groups within Arab countries, its relevance seems to be a

bit doubtful.

The resistance to Assad is made up of a few main groups, of with ISIS/ISIL is but one of then, and actuallly

at odds with, well...everyone else in the neighborhood. Not all are even radical Sunnis, although more and

more seems like they make the bulk of it. Wouldn't say that most are connected to the fighting in Iraq, they

got enough on their plate as it is. Even ISIS/ISIL is not as unified and well controlled as some imagine.

Using the term "insurgent" usually suggests, at least to me, a group with stronger grass roots origin. ISIS is

not quite that, at least not in all the areas currently under its control, especially in Syria. Remains a question

if local support it genuine or coerced through intimidation (which is more in line with "terrorist") - I think that

this too is partly a regional thing.

The refugee crisis was "sexy" for a short while, especially in relation to the Turkish border, what with Turkey's

EU and NATO ties, plus being more accessible than either Lebanon or Jordan. Both these countries face a

major strain on their economies and political stability due to the influx of refugees, apparently not as much aid

coming through from other Arab countries as expected.