How to Handle Decreasing Radius Corners

EBF

? isn't this one of the first things you learn?

Certainly isn't taught in any lessons to get a license in Australia where I first rode.

Maybe they teach it at Thai lessons? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Certainly isn't taught in any lessons to get a license in Australia where I first rode.

I thought that was a strange comment as well- properly executing a DR turn isn't a newbie skill.;)

So much of riding well is counterintuitive (i.e. training yourself to properly crack the throttle to maintain your line when hitting the brake seems like the right thing to do)- when I first read TOTW II, so many things became clear, and it illustrated how little you need in the way of skills to merely qualify for a license.

• Like 1

I thought that was a strange comment as well- properly executing a DR turn isn't a newbie skill.wink.png

So much of riding well is counterintuitive (i.e. training yourself to properly crack the throttle to maintain your line when hitting the brake seems like the right thing to do)- when I first read TOTW II, so many things became clear, and it illustrated how little you need in the way of skills to merely qualify for a license.

So true. So much of it is physics. Who thinks about physics when driving a car? Yet it is essential with a bike.

All well and good but don't forget to factor in the sand and loose dirt found across many smaller roads in rainy season. The back roads outside Pattaya are especially bad at the moment with a lot of new building work going on.

For non native speakers, what exactly do "rolling the throttle" and "cracking the throttle" mean?

rolling the throttle => increase throttle -> accelerate

"Rolling on at this point will unload the front end and put as much grip as possible into the rear tire"

when accelerating, front end will try to lift, loosing contact with the road, the weight will be transferred to the rear wheel.

that's why you smootly accelerate when leaving the curve, so that the rear tires will be more like glued to the road. but too much throttle is not good either.

best movie ever is TOTW 2.

Edited by brfsa2

^^

Knowing how to properly execute a certain type of turn is a good skill anywhere, be it road or track.

Obviously on a racetrack speed is a factor, but on the street the important thing is being able to hold a proper line without running wide or cutting the turn too sharply (unless it's necessary to do that to avoid an obstacle)- whatever helps you to have better control of your bike increases your margin of safety, regardless of your speed.

Too many riders are completely clueless in a DR turn (or any turn, frankly), and the tips EBF is trying to pass along are actually very helpful in any situation- notice the title of this thread isn't 'How to take a DR turn as fast as possible' but, rather, how to 'handle' one.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Great post man, valuable info for any road user, this cornering skill is something everyone can improve. The only point I would expand on is; Go into the corner cold and come out hot. Too many people go in fast (hot) and have to brake and decelerate which gets the bike all out of shape, no bike likes that, all bikes like being driven through a corner and they're way more fun and stable if you are driving them through a corner.

Edited by Johnsy

Basically, the sharper the corner gets, the slower you drive. At the same time you try to increase the radius of the curve as far as is safe. I know that passengers I have taken over the years find this very strange, think I am dangerous. I used to drive behind a BMW regularly after work, going up into the mountains, in my little Citroen. (I knew the driver). I couldn't overtake her on the straights, of course, and on the curves I had to brake.

post-130198-0-83233700-1403575971_thumb.

Always good to have an idea before it is needed about how
to handle situations that may occur. Of course on a track is one thing

& easily practiced using the whole width of track but on the road it is
especially good to know your options for various scenarios.

Folks can easily find themselves panicked in a decreasing radius turns
& end up over the center line or worse depending on degree of panic as they
run wide.

I can only speak for myself but I follow usual braking before the turn, settle the chassis
get off the brakes & roll on throttle as exit appears type riding.

But I have been surprised in my life many times.

At those times I use slight rear brake for
speed adjustment while keeping leaned over & lean/tighten more as required.

I am not saying it is for everyone & many I am sure will disagree.
But for myself/ the way I ride it is how I do it preferring not to upset front/rear
weighting/balance.

edit : But to be clear 99% of the time I am in a turn at proper speed for that turn

& this rear brake trailing is a small adjustment. Of course it is not

meant to save someone who is in way too hot to begin with

Edited by mania

Thanks OP. It's good to come up with this. And the video is great too, EXCEPT for the loud background music that makes it difficult to understand what's being said.

Thinking of my motorbike lessons 47 years ago, I must say it was a joke. 2 hours on a scooter behind the car of the instructor. No communication while riding.

Yes, me too have come in situations when all of a sudden there wasn't enough street left. Lucky me, I never fell or rode into oncoming traffic.

Nowadays I ride very defensively, especially when I ride with a pillion.

Only the day before yesterday an aquaintance got instantly killed in a bike accident. Don't know the details yet.

Thanks again for your good advice.

For those that may be confused because the pic is really for a track. You won't see many hairpin bends on a public road unless you are ascending a mountain.

But this is the real danger, slowing down!

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Good post and great vid.

While there is a lot of experienced riders about I see big bikes getting more popular and an increasing amount of posts involving accidents.

If even one person learns from this and saves some pain then result.

Can you do one on how to avoid crazy dogs that wander out in front of you? biggrin.png

"Never go faster than you can see". The best advice, and particularly so in Thailand.

Here's another instructional video on just that topic. Not entirely sure I'd have put this on YouTube if it was me, but he did, and here it is wink.png

"Never go faster than you can see". The best advice, and particularly so in Thailand.

Love this advice!

I realized early on in Thailand that, as a photographer, I was going to try to look around a lot while riding.

Realizing that wasn't such a great idea I slowed down considerably while out looking for photo ops.

Here's another instructional video on just that topic. Not entirely sure I'd have put this on YouTube if it was me, but he did, and here it is wink.png

This has nothing to do with going fast or seeing in front. He obviously has never learned how to countersteer. Push right to turn right. Push left to turn left. He pulled right to turn right and went left which is what is supposed to happen.

His ABS probably saved him. If you have never ridden on a track you don't know how to properly ride a bike. Period.

Neither of them can ride, they both turn into the corner way to early which is what the OP was trying to point out. "ATF" says what needs to be said too; "This has nothing to do with going fast or seeing in front. He obviously has never learned how to counter steer. Push right to turn right. Push left to turn left. He pulled right to turn right and went left which is what is supposed to happen. His ABS probably saved him. If you have never ridden on a track you don't know how to properly ride a bike. Period."

Edited by Johnsy

Good topic, some good info here. My 2 cents are that in non-track conditions you should always have enough lean angle in reserve to handle a DR curve without too much drama. The worst ones that I have ever had to deal with are the ones where you have a long sweeping high speed curve that near the end turns into a low speed tight DR curve. In those cases you need to scrub off speed before you get out of the high speed sweeper or you wont make the DR tight curve. The idea of simply staying on the throttle and correcting your line wont work if you are coming in too hot.

The other curves that are difficult to judge and execute properly are the curves that have a rise or depression in them, or if they are improperly banked. Likely the corkscrew at Laguna Seca is the most (in)famous example of this but when riding in the mountains it is common to have curves that do any or all of the following, decrease in radius, change grade, and/or change banking. It is near impossible to read a complicated curve correctly the first time over it and that's why riding at well below your limit is key on real roads. Never get too eager on the open road if you are not familiar with the stretch you are on and even then don't get too crazy. I think you are playing Russian roulette if you enter any curve aggressively in Thailand where you can't fully see the exit BEFORE you enter the curve.

Track days will increase your skill level (especially if it is part of a training program), but at the end of the day on the road your judgement and attitude count for more than pure skill. There are no concrete power poles on the edge of the track as there are on most roads in Thailand. not only that even if you do make it through the curve but you drift wide and run some other people off the road you are being irresponsible. If you can't make the curve without drifting out of your lane you are going too fast for the curve and/or your abilities.