Grocery shopping in Pattaya

Don Aleman

After 10 years of shopping sales and 2 for 1s in Thailand I propose the following best worse :

Tops Markets - plenty of locations, lots of genuine sales/clearances, clean, can get refunds/exchanges without too much of

a hassle and, often have coupons but ,need 1,500 purchase for delivery Vs Big C with only 1,000.

Big C - unashamedly my favorite with large aisles, ( I am 80 ), exchange/refunds available, some English, fast delivery, good/fresh

produce and some super daily promotions on bakery items - donuts for 4 Baht ! etc. !

Tesco - great prices but "promotions always have a "hook" to take advantage of, fewer locations, but better pastry/bread and best meat/poultry

quality and pricing

Villa Market - 2,000 for delivery, premium prices but many items you can't get elsewhere. Few stores

Food Mart, Thappraya Rd., near Jontien, is, in my 10 years of "cheap Charlie " purchasing, the absolute worst place to buy grocery and associated items.

prices 20 to 30 % higher than the others, offerings of questionable quality, no English/customer service/ exchanges or refunds. Don't know why, considering the density of

ex pats here that the others haven't opened super stores. I will gladly take 2 baht busses to shop rather than go to Food Mart !

• Like 1

Friendship has very good ground round for not much more than ground beef. Not boutique quality, but good step up. Bakery section quite good, and lots of Mexican and Indian goodies if that is what you want. Do wish they would post more prices on some of those items.

• Like 1

Beef: Prime beef Butcher

All other meats: Foodland

more or less all other groceries: also Foodland

Fruits: Big C

Beer: 7/11

Wine: from my own shop :P

Would also add Big C Extra as best in-house breads. Also very good cheese and local and imported cold-cuts selections.

Best Market, Pattaya Nua, has very good outside breads, especially German breads. Also decent French and Italian bread selection. Also, regular clearance items on cleaning, toiletries, and packaged foods.

Watsons usually has lots of 2-1 specials on toothpastes, mouthwash, soaps, and other toiletries.

Swenson's for best ice cream. It's a little sweet but quality is good and nice flavor selection. Prices for quarts are downright cheap, with recent reduction to B249 for two (from 299, which was already a good deal).

For coffee, best deal is Amazon cafes, usually found at PTT gas stations. Espressos, lattes, and capps (hot, iced, or frapped) B35-55, [except for Tops branch for farangs at Tops market Pattaya Klang, there normal Starbucks rip-off pricing in effect...cheeky monkeys.]

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I get my coffee at Foodland. The Thai Duang Dee tastes not only good but is also very affordable.

Agree on the breads, but since I live around the corner of two bakeries it's not really an issue.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Makro is a favorite for price and freshness, great meat selections. They just opened a new Makro, groceries only on Pattaya Nua, have not tried it yet, anyone else tried it?

I tried it and I love it.

Perfect location (for me that is) and same selection (food wise) as the other Makro.

• Like 2

Tops Markets - plenty of locations, lots of genuine sales/clearances, clean, can get refunds/exchanges without

The only Tops I go into is the one on the lower floor of TukCom. They used to have some prepared food for sale that was apparently neither refrigerated nor kept sufficiently hot. One of only two or three times in 17 years in Thailand that I had major stomach issues (never from "street food") was when I gave something there a try. Even now, some of the "fresh" meat on sale in the refrigerated section has a greenish hue to it that looks decidedly unhealthy.

In terms of prices and availability of packaged/tinned/bottled goods I still use it from time to time, but I have some reservations about their cleanliness.

I use Friendship, Villa, the supermarket in the food court at Central and the Big C's and for some things the market across from Wat Chai. The first three are not noted for being bargain priced, but two of them do offer some cash back by using loyalty cards and all three have things that I want and where I can easily find them. I do like Big C Extra and Big C on Pattaya Tai, but they can be pretty hectic & over crowded, finding things isn't always easy and the people working there tend to be pretty clueless (and undoubtedly under-paid). Big C on Pattaya Nua is OK, but it could do with a make-over and face-lift.

Edited by Suradit69

I get my coffee at Foodland. The Thai Duang Dee tastes not only good but is also very affordable.

Agree on the breads, but since I live around the corner of two bakeries it's not really an issue.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does the Thai Duang Dee have whole beans?

Foodland opening on Thepprasit will be great for Jomtien/Pratumnak shoppers, can't wait for that one.

Foodmart is my main store because of convenience, but has the most miserable checkout girls in Pattaya,hardly ever any customer engagement no matter how polite you are to them.

Veg is way over priced compared with other stores, but the butchery and bakery are ok, nice line of sannies and deli stuff, but will be hammered when Foodland opens round the corner IMHO

Freshly ground coffee from Friendship is good, cheapest is B59 for 100grams

For a big shop Makro, cheapest by far for fresh stuff

• Like 1

Foodland opening on Thepprasit will be great for Jomtien/Pratumnak shoppers, can't wait for that one.

Foodmart is my main store because of convenience, but has the most miserable checkout girls in Pattaya,hardly ever any customer engagement no matter how polite you are to them.

Veg is way over priced compared with other stores, but the butchery and bakery are ok, nice line of sannies and deli stuff, but will be hammered when Foodland opens round the corner IMHO

The FoodMart staff wins the prize for the most unfriendly.

Can't even pretend to like us?

• Like 1

The FoodMart staff wins the prize for the most unfriendly.

Can't even pretend to like us?

Have you been to Best in Nakllua...they might give the Food Mart staff a challenge for First Prize?

• Like 2

When I get to the FoodMart checkout and give a friendly hello, I'm grateful if I get acknowledged with a grunt.

Then bizzarrily, it's me that says 'thank you' when I pay.

Hopefully, we will see some of the cute ones working in a beer bar when Foodland runs them out of business.

This is probably topical, but I think the Russians in the Pattaya area have really screwed up the sales girls attitude in these places, 7/11's and FamilyMarts also, because they don't speak English or Thai Russians come over very rude and abrupt to Thai's in these stores, making them tar us all with the same brush

This is probably topical, but I think the Russians in the Pattaya area have really screwed up the sales girls attitude in these places, 7/11's and FamilyMarts also, because they don't speak English or Thai Russians come over very rude and abrupt to Thai's in these stores, making them tar us all with the same brush

Foodmart long had a bad attitude problem before the Russians came here. Just go to Foodland or Villa for customer service. Pet peeve of mine, why do most supermarkets (especially Foodmart) insist on having staff blocking aisles stocking shelves and interfere with the shopping experience? Stocking should be done during non-peak hours. Foodmart is open 24/7,just an example of mismanagement. Cannot fault them exclusively.

Edited by ThaiBob

Friendship: Good variety of frozen stuff and a good emporium upstairs (and the simply awesome basement). Good parking!

Best: Baked goods and sometimes some bargains in foreign food and locally made foreign food. Good fresh veggies selection.

Villa: Good fruit and veg, especially if you are looking for something imported and expensive. Meats and dairy. Good parking!

Tops: Just about everything but stock control a lot worse than Tops Udon Thani which I found odd. Good parking!

Foodland: My option for last-minute shopping on the way home; breads and fruits and farang stuff.

Makro: Beer by the box (San Miguel Pale Pilsen) and sometimes decent meats, especially NZ sheep meat. Good parking!

Friendship: Good variety of frozen stuff and a good emporium upstairs (and the simply awesome basement). Good parking!

Best: Baked goods and sometimes some bargains in foreign food and locally made foreign food. Good fresh veggies selection.

Villa: Good fruit and veg, especially if you are looking for something imported and expensive. Meats and dairy. Good parking!

Tops: Just about everything but stock control a lot worse than Tops Udon Thani which I found odd. Good parking!

Foodland: My option for last-minute shopping on the way home; breads and fruits and farang stuff.

Makro: Beer by the box (San Miguel Pale Pilsen) and sometimes decent meats, especially NZ sheep meat. Good parking!

Best for good "fresh" veggies...this is a joke right...you're trying to give us a good laugh this morning yeh? I've never seen a more sorry and pathetic looking fruit and veggie section in all of Pattaya. Agree, as I posted earlier, in he breads and packaged goods specials.

Best for good "fresh" veggies...this is a joke right...you're trying to give us a good laugh this morning yeh? I've never seen a more sorry and pathetic looking fruit and veggie section in all of Pattaya. Agree, as I posted earlier, in he breads and packaged goods specials.

Best at Dolphin? It may depend on exactly what veg you are after or the time you hit them up? I have bought squash, tomatoes and spuds there as well as some really fresh, crisp celery. Also red and green peppers. I agree their fruit selection is grim but... I never said it was otherwise.

I didn't know I could get delivery. How do you get that? Just ask the clerk or what?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Delivery is available at Tops and Big C and maybe Lotus (I don't know exactly because I don't shop there anymore) and maybe also other shops.

Just ask the information counter, but one very important thing !!

Don't let them deliver perishable goods as the delivery could take a couple of hours

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1