What jobs warrant a work permit with a non 0 visa.?

From my understanding, it's possible to apply for a work permit with the non O visa. But I cannot do a job that a native Thai can do. So, a degree is needed to teach in a school. What about teaching in a company, office workers for example. What kind of jobs do the labour office issue work permits for farang on non O?

The is no differences between visas as far as to what work you can get a work permit for. You don't even need a non immigrant visa to apply for a work permit.

I'm coming to the end of my ED visa Joe. That one clearly states 'employment prohibited' then, as you know already, I'm moving on the my non 0 (multi or extension) and really wanted to know the rules around the jobs I maybe likely to be employed for, and can I teach English if it's not in a School as such. (Businesses wanting their staff to improve their English) I've had one or two offers like this, but I don't know what the labour office expect to issue a work permit.

I think you can explore the Labor Protection Act to find an answer that suits you. I have a Non-B and work for a company. I do not have a 4 year degree, I have a 2 year degree with special certifications in technology and an apprenticeship. It still doesn't fly as far as a school is concerned (you probably knew that, but sharing in case there are folks browsing who are tempted to ask about the 4 year thing) so I went to work where I don't need a 4 year degree. Watch out for this....many companies and factories are at their maximum for foreign employees (not all, but a lot) and so the company I work for runs my pay through the local government school and sends me there for half a day per week. Now, I'm back in the same situation because to get a work permit through my school (even though I don't really work there!) I need a 4 year! Oye!

True. And, they did hire me as a language instructor so I COULD get a work permit if they actually ran me through their company. They do not run me through their company because they already have too many foreign employees (Japanese and Myanmese (?) and I work at a factory in Amata City). They cannot have anymore foreign employees on their payroll. So, they pay my salary to the local government school. Then, the school deposits to my bank account. Thus, I'm really a teacher the government school. Thus, I need a 4 year to obtain my work permit. As it stands, I'm working without a work permit and am uncomfortable working illegally. So, I'm heading back to the states to finish a bachelors in teaching this fall and will come back. I'm burned out on the song and dance.

Edited by tagranados

CriagP. Since I work amongst the business community and have other friends who teach in the capacity that you are seeking and what I have learned is that you need a work permit for each of the companies you work for, if that helps. It's the same process as outlined here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/how-to-get-thai-workpermit.html

The companies who have offered you the employment each have to do their part. Read the link over, there are some exceptions at the bottom. You just have to try your luck at the office is what I have been told by other teachers who are doing what you want to do.

You have a good chance (or not) at getting a work permit if you and the company(s) you will work for follow the steps outlined in the above link. You'll probably be fine, you just need to go to the office prepared. Also, out here amongst the factories there have been some sweeps or searches or whatever you want to call them by official representatives. That is why I'm sweating right now. You don't want to get caught working in a company as a foreigner without a permit. So, I'm not a super happy-camper right now finding out that I can't get a permit as my company is basically running me through a school. I would never have taken this job if I had known.

CriagP. Since I work amongst the business community and have other friends who teach in the capacity that you are seeking and what I have learned is that you need a work permit for each of the companies you work for, if that helps. It's the same process as outlined here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/how-to-get-thai-workpermit.html

The companies who have offered you the employment each have to do their part. Read the link over, there are some exceptions at the bottom. You just have to try your luck at the office is what I have been told by other teachers who are doing what you want to do.

That's great. Thanks so much.

The company that wants to employ me is a government office of all things. Not an actual business. So maybe that means game over already.

A quote from the link.....

1. REGISTERED CAPITAL. The minimum amount of registered capital required per work permit in the company is dependent upon the status of the company and the work permit applicant. If your company requires one work permit and the applicant is married with a Thai national, then the required amount of registered capital is 1,000,000 Baht

What is this registered capital all about then??? As it's not a business, they won't be able to do that ...aka-no work permit.

It either is a company or it is a government agency. Different rule applies, so be sure wich one it is.

Thanks Mario, the link only gives information about companies. No idea where I'll get the rules about government agencies.

On what grounds are you applying for a non-O, if for retirement reason, labour will not issue a work permit.

You can only get work permit if you get your non-O based on Marriage, Thai children or volunteering.

On what grounds are you applying for a non-O, if for retirement reason, labour will not issue a work permit.

You can only get work permit if you get your non-O based on Marriage, Thai children or volunteering.

Based on marriage.

I realized after my previous post, that the government schools (a.k.a. government agencies) do follow the same steps for work permits as I mentioned in my PM. Show the application to the government agency that is offering you work and have their HR person look it over. That's what the government school does.

Also, found this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736219-work-permit-degree-or-just-resume/

Had some helpful text in it : )

Hi PoorSucker, I know the rules surrounding the issue of Work Permits is fraught with "Thainess" but I have been here for seven years now on a "Non O" and have a Work Permit to teach English since I arrived. I am not married, am not volunteering (although the salary might call that into question) and as far as I know, don't have any Thai children. Who knows what the rules are :-)??????

AjarnMartin,

Do you have a 4-year degree? Do you teach at a government school or somewhere else? What is listed as your job description on your paperwork for the work permit? What part of Thailand are you in? Why are you on a Non-O instead of a Non-B. Do I have anymore questions? Wait, that's a statement....I have no more questions ;-)

Ta

Hi PoorSucker, I know the rules surrounding the issue of Work Permits is fraught with "Thainess" but I have been here for seven years now on a "Non O" and have a Work Permit to teach English since I arrived. I am not married, am not volunteering (although the salary might call that into question) and as far as I know, don't have any Thai children. Who knows what the rules are :-)??????

If you have been here for 7 years you are probably not on a non-O visa.

Visa is only for entering the country, seven years ago they where more lenient to give out non-O visas.

You are on extension of stay based on employment not a non-O visa.

Any job requires a work permit here in Thailand. If you work for a company outside of Thailand and perform your job duties here in Thailand, you need a work permit. ie you work for an IT company in Switzerland and perform your duties online... You need a work permit.

Geez all these people willing to work for peanuts, If I were any of you with a college education I would head home find work there do about 15 years save all I could and then return open a business here.

Yes, great idea to fuxx 15 years of his life as most retired people now in Thailand did...

It's so easy to make money from Thailand for anyone with a brain, so why having to suffer abroad ?

Geez all these people willing to work for peanuts, If I were any of you with a college education I would head home find work there do about 15 years save all I could and then return open a business here.

And possibly lose it all.

I do not work in the "teaching industry" but am led to believe that wages for English teachers here are usually very low, probably 'peanuts'

Many coming here think that they will get the same as in their own countries, but this is very rare indeed !

I do not work in the "teaching industry" but am led to believe that wages for English teachers here are usually very low, probably 'peanuts'

Many coming here think that they will get the same as in their own countries, but this is very rare indeed !

It's a high salary compared to what the Thai teachers get. Easily enough to live off and even save. Certainly not 'peanuts' when you take into account the cost of living here. No teacher would expect to get western wages in Thailand..(IMO)