work permit if over 60 years old?

I have been in LOS for a few years on a non immigration type O visa ( Thai wife ).

I am 61 years old.

I have recently been offered employment my daughter's school.

When I asked about the difficulty of obtaining a work permit, I was told that if you are over 60 years of age, a work permit is not required.

Is this true?

Is it o.k. to work without a work permit if you are over 60?

If not, is it possible to obtain a work permit if you are over 60?

Thank you in advance for any information you provide.

The retirement age for teachers is 60, so that may be where their confusion comes from. A foreigner over this age will still need a work permit if you want to be legal. There is no restriction on you getting one, so you should make them get you legal if you want to work there.

Don't take my word for it but I don't believe your age has anything to do with whether or not you need a Thai Work Permit.

It is my belief however that if you are here on a Type-O "marriage visa" (Thai wife) you are eligible for a Work Permit. If however you have a Type-O Retirement visa you cannot get a Work Permit. In that case you'd have to surrender your "marriage visa" and get a new visa that allows you to acquire a Work Permit.

The retirement age for teachers is 60, so that may be where their confusion comes from. A foreigner over this age will still need a work permit if you want to be legal. There is no restriction on you getting one, so you should make them get you legal if you want to work there.

"so you should make them get you legal if you want to work there." .

To work as a teacher, the relevant qualifications are required, irrespective of age. In terms of getting a permit, experience counts for nothing if you lack a degree and teaching diploma.

If you say you will work as a janitor, forget it, because this a position that a Thai can fill.

What they may mean is that, yes it's not according to law, but there won't be a problem. This is the land of selective enforcement. If they have connections and you are well thought of locally, technical violations may be overlooked. Query the school further to clarify the matter. You might discover that you have previously unknown 'sponsors' in your community who are looking after you. It happened to me, jing jing thumbsup.gif

Don't take my word for it but I don't believe your age has anything to do with whether or not you need a Thai Work Permit.

It is my belief however that if you are here on a Type-O "marriage visa" (Thai wife) you are eligible for a Work Permit. If however you have a Type-O Retirement visa you cannot get a Work Permit. In that case you'd have to surrender your "marriage visa" and get a new visa that allows you to acquire a Work Permit.

To be clear he needs to surrender his retirement extension and get a marriage or type b for working.

I suspect he may have an extension of stay based upon marriage (not a visa). He can get a work permit and work with this extension or even a multiple entry non-o visa.

If he has an extension or non-o based upon retirement then he normally would not be able to get a work permit. But he could change the reason for his extension to one based upon marriage.

Yes there are enough cases, but especially at language schools.

In addition, there could always be unforseen circumstances. Thiank about the small print of your (health) insurence. You are working illegally and get an accidient. Does your insurence provide cover in that case?

A student gets hurt in anacitivity supervised by you. What will be the consequences?

Try and go to talk to the officers at the local immigration or labour department.

Just bring somebody that speak thai and remember everybody want what is best for Thailand.

I have a workpermit in a small non boi company, but we could show that the company benefit

from employing farrang and it is the intrest of this comjpany that i work there....

Go for it

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry Bill Smart....you are so smart....

If you have a retirement visa....you can get a one year work permit and after the one year you must change your visa for the work permit.

In terms of the labour act, its not true, there is no rule which says I once over 60 a WP is not required, the school is lying to you

Is there an age restriction on bring issued a WP ?.....no there isn't in terms of the DOL

I can vouch for the above info. Back when I was a "youngster" aged 60, I was imported to run a newspaper and YES, the employer was obliged to obtain a work permit for me.

Later, when my wife was running a business and I was the "official hand-shaker," we again had to get a work permit. No big deal, just a matter of doing the paper-work and paying the money, which from memory wasn't all that much. Of course, I had to pay Tax...again, no big deal!

yep sounds right - a partner in my company is 75 and he gets his WP every year...the retirement visa thing I think is correct by above posters...maybe get the first year is fine - then change retirement visa to just a marriage visa for year 2... away you go

Yip no restriction on age, I am 61 my colleague is over 70 and he works part time, another colleague is around 78 years old apparently he wanted a retirement visa but the company said the work permit is cheaper. Our company has BOI (Board of Investment) privileges so it may be easier to get work permits.

It's a bold face lie that will more than likely get you in trouble. I know individuals in their 60 with valid WPs. You're being lied to. That's exactly how much these people respect you.

Go to the local labor office (with an interpreter if needed) and start doing your own investigation on exactly what steps you need to do to obtain a WP. What you'll probably find out is that your potential employer doesn't want the hassle of doing their part of the paperwork to make you legal.

You should be ticked off for being placed in a position where you could be fined, jailed, and deported.

Legally a scholl cannot hire anyone over the age of 60. They can pay you as an advisor/consultant on a contract but you will still need a WP.

Personally I'd like to see that law in writing (in Thai). I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying I'd prefer to see the actual legal document.

Has there been a case where teaching English without a work permit became a problem ?

The attitude that you just stated is part of the problem Rupert2, and not part of the solution.

OP -- Get a work permit. You age is irrelevant. If your skills are good, if you're enthusiastic, if you care about helping the next generation -- Do It!!! But do it legally. Good, caring teachers are needed here.

• Like 1

So after all this we now know that foreigners can get a work permit if aged over 60 (I even asked this question some time ago and the responses were unanimous - yes of course it's possible as it should be). While age discrimination is rife amongst Thai employers hiring Thais and they may indeed not hire any locals over 60 for anything, foreigners are usually able to find work in Thailand at any age, if someone is willing to hire you and the position in question is not restricted.

By comparison, foreigners in China are treated in much the same way as locals. No work permits issued if you are aged above 60, or in a few years time when they plan to raise the retirement age to 65 for men, it will likely become 65 at that stage (by 2020 I think).

My father is 67yo retired Librarian in ottawa,ontario,canada and is going to get certified by a tefle school to come teach in trakan district and live at my inlaws free room and board. Lol wyle I stay in canada bustin my hump in the alberta canada oilfields.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry Bill Smart....you are so smart....

If you have a retirement visa....you can get a one year work permit and after the one year you must change your visa for the work permit.

Not necessarily true! See ubonjoe's advice at post #8.

If the OP were presently on a retirement extension, the 64,000 dollar question would be whether Immigration would allow him to apply for a marriage extension (which would enable him to obtain a work permit) if the existing retirement extension still had several months to run.

EDIT: on re-reading the OP I see that he is, in fact, on a marriage extension. So no probs to his obtaining a work permit now - in theory at any rate.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1