Electronic Prices In General

Mrjlh

Is it cheaper to buy computers and cameras outside of Thailand? Reading between the lines it appears the the Thai's don't have any room for bargining. Some things seem to be cheaper but for the most part it appears to me it is best to buy outside and bring it into country. Is this correct?

I usually build my own from scratch. Can I do this in Thailand as cheaply as I can in the US or other coumntries? Or am I just blowing smoke?

And is best to wait until I arrive in Thailand before buying either a camera or a computer?

The un-informed would like to know.

T.I.A.

It's been (heatedly) discussed before.

Generally, for computers, common mainstream components are about the same price as in the US. More exotic components (high-end, modding, weird stuff) is more expensive here, sometimes by a large margin. Printers/scanners are also more expensive here than in the US (they're about the same as Europe... only the US has cheap printers/scanners).

Cameras bought online in the US can be significantly cheaper than Thailand, especially with sales and rebates. Thailand's distributors have a fairly strict price controlling policy... that's why you'll see very similar (or exactly the same) prices from store to store. Thing is, don't expect any distributor in Thailand to honor the warranty of a camera bought outside Thailand.

But price is not the only thing to consider. A camera is easy to transport, so buying it outside is usually OK. It also should come with a travel adapter, which accepts worldwide voltage. A desktop computer, OTOH, is bulky and fairly fragile if put in cargo. The PSU also might not be able to handle Thailand's voltage (220V).

Generally, for computers, common mainstream components are about the same price as in the US

I am surprised someone with your experience in Thailand can make a statement like this. Have you done any due diligence at all? I have and the USA prices are cheaper by what I would characterize as a significant amount on EVERY mainstream component; RAM, hard disk, CPU, DVD burner, you name it. I've spent many years scouring Pantip, Fortune, and Thai online sites hunting for deals and there is just no comparison. I can prove this to anyone; show me a link to the Thai price and I'll beat it with a US price.

Just because high end / rare components have an acute price disparity doesn't make the mainstream a good deal to me in relative terms. I still see them as a rip-off as well.

Like I said, it's been (heatedly) discussed before. I'm not going to go back into the same merry-go-round arguments again. Say what you like, prove what you like, I don't want this forum to become a flame-war group. Flame off (never on).

Take for example a Seagate HDD ST380011A hard drive. It's at shop4thai for USD65 plus VAT. http://www.shop4thai.com/en/product/?pid=6354

I only checked buy.com for a US source but it is usually pretty competitive. There it's priced at USD 67.99 plus tax. http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.as...t=home&dclksa=1

Actually cheaper in Thailand! Maybe it can be found for less in the USA but the point is prices are close.

Personally I think it's a better bet to build the system here. Warranties are much better than they used to be and you don't have the hassle and possible mishandling problems of bringing one in from the USA.

Peter

Is it cheaper to buy computers and cameras outside of Thailand? Reading between the lines it appears the the Thai's don't have any room for bargining. Some things seem to be cheaper but for the most part it appears to me it is best to buy outside and bring it into country. Is this correct?

I usually build my own from scratch. Can I do this in Thailand as cheaply as I can in the US or other coumntries? Or am I just blowing smoke?

And is best to wait until I arrive in Thailand before buying either a camera or a computer?

The un-informed would like to know.

T.I.A.

I don't think the country of assemby is a big deal in this age of globalization, but here's another example.

Sempron 2800 64Bit (Socket754) CPU

froogle.google.com shows prices from the low $70's to mid $90's from companies I am not familiar with - don't know if they are reliable or not. http://froogle.google.com/froogle?btnG=Sea...it+(Socket+754)

On Ebay it is offered new at $79.99

In Thailand I found it at http://www.7daysit.com/product.php?product...&cat=266&page=2 for USD 79.27 - not sure if that is + VAT or not nor if the USA sources are plus tax or not.

Prices on mainstream computer components between the USA and here are generally pretty close.

Peter

No surprise Seagate drives are cheaper in Thailand - they're manufactured here.

There is a very good list of camera shops and their web sites in the photography section.

Generally prices in Thailand are competitve, and you will benefit from the full warranty.

The same applies to computers and components.

Where a component is manufactured often bears little relation to its price and availablity.

It is not so long since Seagate disks were just not available in Thailand, or if they were the price was

exhorbitant, despite the fact that they were manufactured in LOS. :o

Fortunately that situation no longer applies. :D

Do not consider buying overseas, if you cannot hand carry the item into Thailand.

Thank you for providing me two specific opportunities to prove the US prices are cheaper instead of just having posts with no factual basis in this thread. This is not a flame war or heated debate, just the cold hard facts.

Take for example a Seagate HDD ST380011A hard drive. It's at shop4thai for USD65 plus VAT.

This identical drive is sold in the US for $45.99, no VAT, and shipped to your doorstep VIA UPS for FREE. It's made in Thailand, it's cheaper in the US.

Sempron 2800 64Bit (Socket754) CPU. In Thailand I found it for USD 79.27 - not sure if that is + VAT or not nor if the USA sources are plus tax or not.

Buy in the USA for $64, FREE shipping, no VAT.

I only checked buy.com for a US source but it is usually pretty competitive.

Unlike Thailand, US prices vary a lot. Always check pricewatch.com or similar. You'll see the component prices I referenced above.

Personally I think it's a better bet to build the system here. Warranties are much better than they used to be and you don't have the hassle and possible mishandling problems of bringing one in from the USA.

That's true.

Maybe it can be found for less in the USA but the point is prices are close.

This is just not true and hopefully the real story is now crystal clear.

And astral, I will be happy to enlighten you about about cameras, computers, components, and Seagate drives being cheap or comparably priced in Thailand. It's just not true. All of these are cheaper in the US and the price differences are substantial. I will offer factual data every single time.

Edited by The Coder

The HDD drive is a very interesting example.

The 49.99 price is linked to buy.com. They actually list two ST380011A drives. One, which I myself quoted, at $67.99 and this one. I cannot see any difference between the two. The next lowest price at priceonline.com is $65.99. It's very odd that buy.com lists the exact same unit at two different prices. So while it appears to be an usually good deal - well below anyone else's price in the entire USA, I don't regard it as representative of the two markets.

Regarding sales tax I believe US online retailers charge sales tax depending on what state the product is shipped to.

I'm going to stand by my statement that prices are generally close on mainstream components - that is components that are common in Thailand. If someone wants a 500 GB HDD that might be a different story. Also, there are lots of bait-and-switch online retailers in the USA. To compare the two, one has to compare well established retailers in both countries, not just the lowest hit in a portal search.

The following sure sounds like someone trolling for a flame war to me...

And astral, I will be happy to enlighten you about about cameras, computers, components
Thank you for providing me two specific opportunities to prove the US prices are cheaper instead of just having posts with no factual basis in this thread. This is not a flame war or heated debate, just the cold hard facts.
Take for example a Seagate HDD ST380011A hard drive. It's at shop4thai for USD65 plus VAT.

This identical drive is sold in the US for $45.99, no VAT, and shipped to your doorstep VIA UPS for FREE. It's made in Thailand, it's cheaper in the US.

I'm going to stand by my statement that prices are generally close on mainstream components

After being shown a 40% price difference on the mainstream component of your own choice you call it "close", alrighty then...

also, there are lots of bait-and-switch online retailers in the USA

As there is in Thailand. You can choose from any number of oline stores in the US for similarly low prices (there are half a dozen within $1 for that drive) and as you saw, that was your very own buy.com leading the way. Thus, sales tax and reputability is not even worth mentioning. VAT in Thailand is HUGE and shipping costs can be painful. I haven't even added these things in, it's 40% higher before you even consider those things.

The following sure sounds like someone trolling for a flame war to me...

Why do some people get so defensive about Thai pricing? I am guessing it is a case of sour grapes. They bought their stuff in Thailand and don't want to admit to themselves they got ripped off so they make up excuses and go into denial. That's why I say let the facts speak for themselves.

what i have found when comparing computer parts prices between Thailand and the US is that once something in the US becomes even slightly outdated, i.e. they have brought at a bigger/better model, the price drops very fast. Whereas in Thailand the price dosen't drop by as much.

I have and the USA prices are cheaper by what I would characterize as a significant amount on EVERY mainstream component; RAM, hard disk, CPU, DVD burner, you name it. I've spent many years scouring Pantip, Fortune, and Thai online sites hunting for deals and there is just no comparison. I can prove this to anyone; show me a link to the Thai price and I'll beat it with a US price.

Just because high end / rare components have an acute price disparity doesn't make the mainstream a good deal to me in relative terms. I still see them as a rip-off as well.

I agree. Generally, more expensive in Thailand : electronic, computer etc. But it's not a "rip-off". From my point of view, it's only a matter of market size (i mean it's normal).

China send in europe or US containers of camera for instance, for a large market with high competition and low prices. In Bangkok, they send some trucks at high price.

:o

That is pretty well what happened to me in my first and last experience with Fedexing in components, but it was a long time ago. That was a hard drive sent to Singapore for repair - on warranty! Not only did they insist on duty and tax, but also on fees for a customs broker. I just told them to keep the drive.

Peter

I buy my electronics online, in Hong Kong, ship with Fed Ex and save a ton.

Isn't FedEx the one most people say not to use?

Don't you get hammered for import duties and tea money?

What I'm wondering is why some other people want to establish their own ideas to the point of starting a flame war. A forum is a forum for sharing ideas, not for pointing fingers at others and using inflammatory statements. Really, just make your statement (and back it up with facts or not... it's NOT REQUIRED) without trying to pick an argument.

The US is the US. Large market, lots of "one-off" sales (like $500 notebooks and such), and things like rebates/coupons/deals. However, if you're looking for stable prices that can be found throughout (not from shifty online dealers found through price search sites, but from first-tier retailers and online stores), then the prices are, like it or not, similar to Thailand. Not *exactly* the same, but certainly not worth buying in the US and not having a warranty to back it up.

As for the statement of being defensive of Thai prices, that's just an assumption on your part, and yet another inflammatory remark. I get stuff from the US all the time *if it's actually worth the trouble*. If not, I buy here. I've stated quite often that I've bought MANY MANY things from the US, but most of those things were cameras, since they are *very* cheap there. For computer stuff, it *used* to be that there was a huge price difference, but currently the small difference isn't worth the hassle. Of course, this is a *generalization* and as for all generalizations, there will be *exceptions*.

Please, folks, keep it civil. As for doing research and coming up with websites and price quotes and such, I choose not to do it, since I'm lazy and I'm not willing to do all that work just to prove a point to some guy who probably never believe me anyways. Hey, I don't care anymore. It's a waste of my time, and I don't have time to waste on pointless things. I had the same thing happen to me in another forum... I made a small statement, and suddenly I was being grilled like a steak and people demanded concrete proof. I'm not going to do that just for some faceless strangers. Find your own proof, waste your own time.

For real "pantip-store" type prices, go to

www.hwhinter.com

Since the prices listed there are actual store prices for a chain of stores found in nearly every computer mall across the country.

probably a 10-15% difference in store pricing with Thailand being higher priced.

I build probably 2-3 computer a month, from parts and keep an eye on the pricing in the states (reveiws).

The only time there is a bigger discrepancy is when something like a brand new graphics card gets outdated in the USA, they drop the price, here they don't like to.

I must say though that the Thai warranties are way above and beyond what I would expect in the US or Europe, very good indeed.

If prices are so much lower in the US, then buy there.

Compared to Thailand the USA is the other side of the world, geographically!!

Let us know if the Thai distributers will honour the US guarantee,

if not how much it costs to ship a faulty item back to the US for repair/replacement.

These are all things that have to be taken into account. :o

I posted this info earlier in another thread.

I just sent for a new Denon DVD Player from Hong Kong.

3 day delivery to my door by FED EX.

40,000bht including shipping + Thai Duty = 900bht.

The exact same unit goes for 65,000bht in Thailand.

My B&W stereo speakers retail for over 200,000 in Bangkok.

Got them sent from Hong Kong for 113,000bht +Thai Duty = 3,000bht.

The shipper marked them down as repaired items.

In my experience, imported goods cost more in Thailand. Alot more.

Thailand has very high import fees.

Cameras, Computers, Cars, Wine.

Go look at a new Porsche for some real sticker shock.

Thank you all for your responses. My question has been answered.

What you tell me is prices in the USA are cheaper merely due to volume of sales (in my opinion). It appears that you can find Asian outlets that will sell cheaper but it takes a little looking (such as Hong Kong). In Thailand VAT runs the price up so you really can't get a great deal plus other factors. In other words, buy in the US before comming over if I want to save money if only a few bucks.

Thank again for your answers.

MrJlh