Unbearably sad songs only

bannork

Bannork, I remember reading Wilfred Owen in primary school and it always evoked a deep sadness in me especially when i related it to how my grandpa suffered from the mustard gas until he passed away. He was in the trenches in France .

Primary school! That's heavy stuff to put on someone so young.We read the 1930s poets for our A levels,Auden, Spender, Betjeman, etc, " Come friendly bombs fall on Slough''

But WW1 has always held a special horror for me, the sheer insanity of being in rows of trenches for years on end,being shelled and machine gunned, having a break for a game of football at Xmas , then back to the carnage.All for no purpose. WW2 makes more sense, had to stop the madman, but WW1? The destruction of an entire generation for the follies and vanities of the leaders.And then, just 21 years later, the whole thing starts all over again.

Sometimes we just have to think how lucky our generation(s) has been. Like you, my grandfather was in WW1, his son, my father was in WW2, whilst I have known nothing but peace and great music in the 60s and 70s. So fortunate.

I was pissed off with this album when it first came out, over the years it has grown on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqTGiIr-1o

The absurdity of war.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Trans, but I think she was the most boring female singer ever.

Look at the topic heading matey...........whistling.gif ...........smile.png

As soon as I saw the name Shirley Bassey, I just gave it one big swerve, tell you what Trans, if you like the older female singers. the best of the lot in my opinion was Jo Stafford, she could sing anything.

This was a great thread. Three of my favourite singers were mentioned, Elvis, Roy Orbison and George Jones, the guy I take my user name from, and 1931 was the year he was born. He sadly passed away on April last year.