Street dogs chasing me when I ride on my bicycle

Muggi1968

Next time they chase you, stop and get off your bike and walk towards them, full eye contact.

Don't back away as this is seen as weakness. It will just be bark, very rare that they will bite.

I've posted this before - note our man Wayne's disclaimer regarding anything that looks like a pitbull wink.png

My main concern would be any situation where they could get behind me - as with anything on the Net, caveat emptor.

He never mentioned the ultrasonic dog whistle he bought for $30 that he has in his pocket.

g.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time they chase you, stop and get off your bike and walk towards them, full eye contact.

Don't back away as this is seen as weakness. It will just be bark, very rare that they will bite.

sent from an I phone from a Hospital bed.

• Like 2

They chase because you let them. I'm a rider and surest fire way is to lock up the back wheel and turn after them. Just a bit will suffice. Show weakness to a dog and he'll walk all over you... bit like the Thais lol.

Or ___________ whatever country you are from lol.

Salt mixed with pepper might be better than salt alone.

Even just pretending to have a stone of a stick to throw will keep them away. They have felt the sting of thrown stones before and know what it means if you raise your hand as if to throw something.

If walking, just the act of bending down to pick something (even imaginary) off the ground will send them several paces back.

• Like 1

Some good advice in the thread.

My compilation: different dogs, different approach.

A) If there are any psychic fighting dogs around: change route or use Glock and flee the country.

B ) Curious dogs:

have a cane within reach, stop the bike, turn to them and try to allure (!) them.

You will see that some will come closer hesitantly and even fancy some crawling.

Mostly the "alpha" animals.

Having some goodies with you is not a bad idea too.

Others will probably stay back.

Might happen from now on you have to stop on every tour to calm them down.

(wash your hands when coming back tongue.png )

C) Other psychic/abused dogs, permanent barkers: just swing the cane. Will keep them in distance. They are clever enough to keep the distance. No one ever bit/reached me.

I have some B ) types who chase me on the temple grounds and I made good experience with the desribed approach.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Dogs are territorial and that territory is usually quite small so by going faster you will be out of the space quicker.

However if they chase after you and the road doesn't have much traffic , weaving from side to side helps as an evasive maneuver.Just as they get close to one leg weave away to the opposite side and they have to pull up a bit to start a run at the other leg. By the time they get over their confusion you will be out of their territory. Works for me.

For me always work when i start sending them loud kissing sounds, i know it sounds funny but most dog suddenly switch to be friendly mode. I'm not a dog whisperer but it always work, and also u need to show you are the boss and approach them friendly, slowly. Eye contact is also a factor, keep you the boss in a situation with a dog and don't do sudden movements much, they might misunderstand you. If you having problems constantly with the same dogs, bring some piece of sausage next time and they will remember you are a friend... thumbsup.gif

Buy a small squeezy bottle of washing up liquid from 7/11 (they have bottles that 15~20cl)

Empty the contents and replace with very strong mixture of water and ammonia - you can buy ammonia at almost any pharmacy. 5 parts water to three parts ammonia should do.

Next time the dogs get after you give them a short squirt in the mush with the mixture... they will not bother you again.

• Like 1

If the guns and canes aggression towards the dogs doesn’t work try a few handful of dog biscuits/treats in your pocket and when one gets to close chuck a few biscuits on the ground and see who the dogs finds more delicious you or the dog biscuits.

Here same I have ultra noise sensor using high freqency pain in dogs ear at run away quickly!

If you need one drop pm , and your problem is gone!

I'm not even going to ask if you have nerve gas and those lasers you can use to blind pilots of commercial airliners.

I agree with Wayne's video how to handle dogs and have used it. Also, I walk with a limp and this sends dogs nuts, for some reason.

Although not practical, I have found one way to change their approach in a matter of seconds is to give them a treat. I found out once walking with bag of food, and tossed them some moo ping. Now they are my buddies. They follow after that but never bark.

I had one soi I used to walk regularly in early morning on my way to the gym. So I started carrying a bag of cheap doggie treats. First time they did not trust me and freaked out. Second time, they were cool. After that, they love me. And I enjoy giving them something tasty to eat. Changes the context of my experience walking the soi completely.

• Like 1

=Muggi 1968=

When i bycicle around here the dogs get more and more aggressive.

and many times chase me on bicycle and try to bit me....

(when the thai famelies forget to close their gates)

What can i do ???

=================================================================================================

Drive with a car around. thumbsup.gif

Stopping and running at them with your bike eorkd. Hand in air as if to throw a stone usually works. Kicking dog in head while riding usually gets them to go away.. Shouting very loud works. But if you get s big fast young dog running after you best to stop. I ride most days mostly mornings. hAve only been nipped on the foot once in 12 years so normally a dogs bark is worst than its bite!

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just have a stick with you and when they get near raise it up like you will hit them and yell "BAI" (go away) at them. Usually they stop.

The soi dogs in my neighborhood run away from me when I pretend to throw invisible rocks at them. But if you're on a bike, a stick is your best option. Most likely you wont have to hit them, just them thinking that it will happen will be enough and you wont have to worry about harming animals.

Make sure you cycle in the peak heat of the day....most dogs are too lazy to chase you when its too hot.

...and the only ones out in the mid-day sun are mad - so you can use the Glock on them...(assuming you're English)

A water pistol is usually enough, although I do like the idea of adding a wee bit of ammonia to the water.

Pepper spray would only hurt them for a short time, so it is not particularly unkind.

You can also try a water gun with water and lemon. Someone mentioned this in another similar thread.

I've done the showdown thing with dogs with no problems. I would not suggest it if you are not familiar enough with dogs to know if it is working.

I agree with Wayne's video how to handle dogs and have used it. Also, I walk with a limp and this sends dogs nuts, for some reason.

Although not practical, I have found one way to change their approach in a matter of seconds is to give them a treat. I found out once walking with bag of food, and tossed them some moo ping. Now they are my buddies. They follow after that but never bark.

I had one soi I used to walk regularly in early morning on my way to the gym. So I started carrying a bag of cheap doggie treats. First time they did not trust me and freaked out. Second time, they were cool. After that, they love me. And I enjoy giving them something tasty to eat. Changes the context of my experience walking the soi completely.

That's very sensible of you,very humane,the gentle approach,yes i can see your point but i still prefer the water pistol filled with caustic acid

• Like 1