Street dogs chasing me when I ride on my bicycle

Muggi1968

Buy an air/gas handgun that shots plastic bullets. That will scare the dogs away, without hurting them.

While air/gas guns that shoot plastic BBs are legal, that particular use is illegal, and is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a car?

I'm an old guy and I really like riding my new scooter. The wind and the view and the thrills. With a car, since I'm used to driving on the other side of the road I kept knocking over things. This doesn't happen with my scooter.

• Like 1

I put that video to the test the other night , saw a pack of dogs barking at a Thai so stormed up to them and they all darted, I felt like the dog whisperer, don't try that at home

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Next time they chase you, stop and get off your bike and walk towards them, full eye contact.

Don't back away as this is seen as weakness. It will just be bark, very rare that they will bite.

And on those rare occasions when they do bite, head straight to the nearest major hospital - with wallet in hand - and start the rabies shots.

• Like 1

Buy an air/gas handgun that shots plastic bullets. That will scare the dogs away, without hurting them.

While air/gas guns that shoot plastic BBs are legal, that particular use is illegal, and is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

The suggestion seems sound to me - so can you explain what makes it illegal to shoot plastic bullets at a dog (hopefully they get a shock and no major damage, but stay clear of the OP in future).

So what are the problems you say it is likely to cause? Do you mean in relation to the dogs, their owners, or the legal system? Or something else?

Feed the dogs dark chocolate. It's poisonous to them. Chances are they won't ever eat enough to kill them but it will make them sick and probably get them to leave you alone.

Do you really think a dog will remember that you gave him the dark chocolate a couple of hours before he became sick?

They teach that at LAPD?

Next time they chase you, stop and get off your bike and walk towards them, full eye contact.

Don't back away as this is seen as weakness. It will just be bark, very rare that they will bite.

I do that, but only when carrying my piece of water pipe. They always run away.

The suggestion seems sound to me - so can you explain what makes it illegal to shoot plastic bullets at a dog (hopefully they get a shock and no major damage, but stay clear of the OP in future).

So what are the problems you say it is likely to cause? Do you mean in relation to the dogs, their owners, or the legal system? Or something else?

Post #12, here (underlining mine) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/599216-legalities-of-owning-using-an-air-gun-in-thailand/

Thai Law as it stands today:

“Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

• The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

• Only plastic bullets are used – no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

The gun becomes illegal if any of these rules are broken.

Unfortunately, the company that sold air guns and posted these laws took down their website.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And on those rare occasions when they do bite, head straight to the nearest major hospital - with wallet in hand - and start the rabies shots.

Just a quick point on the legality of BB guns.........................

I have an air-soft pistol at home, based on a glock 23C, identical in size and similar in weight. "Her that must be obeyed at all times" (the wife) mentioned only last week that the Junta have set restrictions on replica weapons, that they must not be shown in public, else they may be mistaken for the real thing and you could end up getting shot. Or something along those lines

This apparently was on one of the Thai channels and I didn't personally see it.

Just been told there may be restrictions actually having them in your home. That should be interesting..................whistling.gif

Edit: Thanks for the above impulse, that is what I follow. Not sure how good my info is above but maybe worth asking the better half if they have heard about any changes.

Edited by chrisinth

Post #12, here (underlining mine) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/599216-legalities-of-owning-using-an-air-gun-in-thailand/

Thai Law as it stands today:

“Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

• The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

• Only plastic bullets are used – no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

The gun becomes illegal if any of these rules are broken.

Unfortunately, the company that sold air guns and posted these laws took down their website.

I will accept your quote - I'm not worried that it lacks the nicety of legitimate sourcing - I have no reason to doubt that you are an honest person. So, yes it does appear to be illegal. Primarily as you can't shoot a dog if the gun is in a box. As to shooting of animals, I don't know if a plastic bullet to the ribs constitutes "torture" - maybe it does in Thai-speak. However, I still have some sympathy for the proposal. I am not one to advocate breaking laws - ignoring them selectively perhaps, but not breaking them.

The last time dogs chased me when I was on my bicycle it was not far from home. I returned 5 minutes later on my motor scooter with a basket full of good sized stones and discovered my days in the outfield had not been entirely wasted. The dogs leave me alone these days. The leader, apparently part Ridgeback, recognises me (by smell, sound or sight, I don't know) and creeps away. The others follow him or just ignore me.

But soi dogs are still a constant source of concern - I avoid new areas of riding my bicycle other than main roads because of the risk of encounters with dogs.

I would love some simple, humane and foolproof solution. (No, I don't want to drive everywhere in the pickup. Nor will I wear body armour).

Edited by CBR250
  • Like 1

In the village where I live (near Phimai, Korat) there is practically no problem with dogs. If one does start to be a problem, the locals sort it out pretty well them selves. Either chaining up on it's owners land. locking up indoors; and on one occasion killing it them selves; this after a witnessed attack on a small child in daylight by a single dog. Child about 7 years old, not seriously injured.

It's a small rural village with loads of kids of all sizes constantly wondering around unsupervised; it seems the locals have maybe recognised what they need to do for the safety of their own kids.

I make regular visits to koh chang. A tourist resort with lots of transient thai "workers". The dog situation there is very different to the village.

On the island there are many dogs running in packs, ignored by just about every one as far as I can see. Usual story of attacks on cyclists, motor cyclists and pedestrians. Can even be bad on the beach during daylight. At night all problem situations escalate. Often thai's seeing problems caused by "their" dogs will react with sniggering, laughter and encouragement to their dogs to continue harassing their targets; thai or farang.

I spent my first year in Thailand (06-07) in Phuket, and now apply the same response and tactics to street dogs in koh chang as I did in Phuket.

This has resulted in a few more dents and scratches to my front bumper area, but the claret always washes off no problem.

I don't swerve all over the road to achieve results, or to avoid results.

I'm never going to heaven anyway.

In the village where I live (near Phimai, Korat) there is practically no problem with dogs. If one does start to be a problem, the locals sort it out pretty well them selves. Either chaining up on it's owners land. locking up indoors; and on one occasion killing it them selves; this after a witnessed attack on a small child in daylight by a single dog. Child about 7 years old, not seriously injured.

It's a small rural village with loads of kids of all sizes constantly wondering around unsupervised; it seems the locals have maybe recognised what they need to do for the safety of their own kids.

I make regular visits to koh chang. A tourist resort with lots of transient thai "workers". The dog situation there is very different to the village.

On the island there are many dogs running in packs, ignored by just about every one as far as I can see. Usual story of attacks on cyclists, motor cyclists and pedestrians. Can even be bad on the beach during daylight. At night all problem situations escalate. Often thai's seeing problems caused by "their" dogs will react with sniggering, laughter and encouragement to their dogs to continue harassing their targets; thai or farang.

I spent my first year in Thailand (06-07) in Phuket, and now apply the same response and tactics to street dogs in koh chang as I did in Phuket.

This has resulted in a few more dents and scratches to my front bumper area, but the claret always washes off no problem.

You run over the dogs?

I thought the dog problem was over in Phuket. I had read that Soi Dog Foundation was heavily involved with taking the dogs off the streets and vaccinating them.

I'm thinking about bringing my Pitt Bull over from America. He's nasty. My dog is fierce and will snap the neck of any Soi Dog. I normally need to muzzle his mouth because he's a biter.

Problem is unless its desexed it will find the whole procreative paradise that some humans do. Then lots of little soi / pitbull crosses will roam the streets.

I'm thinking about bringing my Pitt Bull over from America. He's nasty. My dog is fierce and will snap the neck of any Soi Dog. I normally need to muzzle his mouth because he's a biter.

Problem is unless its desexed it will find the whole procreative paradise that some humans do. Then lots of little soi / pitbull crosses will roam the streets.

I wonder what that would be like? [emoji15]

You run over the dogs?

I thought the dog problem was over in Phuket. I had read that Soi Dog Foundation was heavily involved with taking the dogs off the streets and vaccinating them.

I've not yet actually run one over (not to say that I never would), more a case of knocking them out of my way. My car has a low front end.

When my g/f (finally) got round to qualifying for a driving licence (m/c), the instructor asked the gathering what they should do if harassed by a dog whilst they were in charge of a vehicle on a public road. The predictable answers from the Thai people present was stop, slow down, swerve out of the way, rub lucky charm, pray, etc.

The instructor told them NO, do not endanger your self and/or other road users by making unexpected manoeuvres on the road due to animals; unless the animal in question was very large, or dangerous.

Laughable advise in many ways for round here, I know.

My point being, sod the poxy animal; I'm coming through. As for the truly mental examples that actually chase a car/pick up............if it aint me it'll just be someone else. Witnessed by the number of dead dogs to be seen along just about any major road here.

Soi dogs foundation, where to start.

Fair enuf, some people love dogs and want to help them; up to them. I only ever see more dogs all the time wherever I go.

Nai Harn beach in Phuket used to be famous for after dark dog attacks. They had a right go at me one night, late.

I don't know what it's like there now, not been for a couple of years.

There is a soi dog group in koh chang, who achieve almost nothing. It's a drop in the ocean, and the thai's use them like they use temples to dump off unwanted cats and dogs.

My g/f doesn't like me hitting dogs; could be a Buddhist thing. She worries I will get grief from an owner, could happen one day I guess. I once picked a fight with a Patong motor cycle taxi driver (a draw), and she worries about future confrontations.

Like I said about me and heaven.........................

If you don't want to hurt them, you have to get along with them. Actually if they know you and once they know you are not a threat they won't bark at you again. The best way for this is as follows, not kidding:

Stop the bike, make full eye contact with them and squat. Squatting is important as they will see you smaller and less dangerous and will likely to approach you if you call them. They will stop barking and if they approach just breath to their nose. Dogs have a very sensitive smell and it is the way they recognize people and other animals, by their internal smell. The most usual when you breath at them is they will approach more to smell better until you can breath directly to their nose. Once they recognize you and see you are never a threat, they won't annoy you again.

Alternatively you can also take your pants and underwear off, adopt a dodgy position and spread your arse open for them to smell it. They are more used to this way but humans find it quite violent.

If you don't want to hurt them, you have to get along with them. Actually if they know you and once they know you are not a threat they won't bark at you again. The best way for this is as follows, not kidding:

Stop the bike, make full eye contact with them and squat. Squatting is important as they will see you smaller and less dangerous and will likely to approach you if you call them. They will stop barking and if they approach just breath to their nose. Dogs have a very sensitive smell and it is the way they recognize people and other animals, by their internal smell. The most usual when you breath at them is they will approach more to smell better until you can breath directly to their nose. Once they recognize you and see you are never a threat, they won't annoy you again.

Nobody knows exactly what an unknown dog will do in any situation. Dogs that have been abused could do just about anything. Predicting their behavior is a good way to end up getting rabies shots.

If the last person who breathed on a dog then hit the poor critter, the next person who breathes on that dog is likely to get his face bit off.

Or, he may approach, expecting to get fed- and then bite out of fear once he's real close and realizes there's no food and he's close enough to feel threatened.

Your method may work on 90% of the dogs, but which 90%? And that other 10% can do some real damage.

• Like 2

Nobody knows exactly what an unknown dog will do in any situation. Dogs that have been abused could do just about anything. Predicting their behavior is a good way to end up getting rabies shots.

If the last person who breathed on a dog then hit the poor critter, the next person who breathes on that dog is likely to get his face bit off.

Or, he may approach, expecting to get fed- and then bite out of fear once he's real close and realizes there's no food and he's close enough to feel threatened.

Your method may work on 90% of the dogs, but which 90%? And that other 10% can do some real damage.

I agree. Like hell I'm going to squat so I can go face to face with a stray dog. I know zero about these stray dogs, so why take the chance of getting bit in the face. If I'm going to get bit it's going to be on the ankle/thigh.

I think were making this out to be more than it really is. My girlfriend has been in Bangkok for nearly 15 years and has had ZERO issues with soi dogs. Whenever i bring up the street dogs she looks at me like I'm a big wuss. A grown man scared of dogs! I try not to bring it up anymore. The best thing to do is do what the Thais do and that is to just ignore the dogs.

I agree. Like hell I'm going to squat so I can go face to face with a stray dog. I know zero about these stray dogs, so why take the chance of getting bit in the face. If I'm going to get bit it's going to be on the ankle/thigh.

I think were making this out to be more than it really is. My girlfriend has been in Bangkok for nearly 15 years and has had ZERO issues with soi dogs. Whenever i bring up the street dogs she looks at me like I'm a big wuss. A grown man scared of dogs! I try not to bring it up anymore. The best thing to do is do what the Thais do and that is to just ignore the dogs.

You probably can in Bangkok. Most of Chiang Mai, Korat and larger cities are ok until you get out in the 'burbs.

In a small village near Surin, trying to find a friend's house after dark on my motorbike, I was chased by about 6 obviously vicious dogs. If I has stopped to stare them in the eye I suspect I wouldn't be writing this. So, yes, I am a wuss when outnumbered by a bunch of potentially rabid, and certainly vicious, dogs..

Faced by a bunch of fairly cunning soi dogs in a remote village after dark I would prefer a gun to advice - with at least plastic bullets. Although I won't throw metal ones away.

It's ok to love dogs (I do) but there limits. Dogs that attack humans should be subject to the same discouragement as mongooses (mongeese?) around the chook pen.

My barber is an avid bicyclist, and he told me he uses those fire crackers which explode on impact when they hit the ground. They are called

**** Thai language edited out ****

post-215904-0-61713700-1406881540_thumb.

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.
  • Like 1

Same as an other post I made about this subject. Don't be too worried about the dog...been bitten myself and the rabies shots are a pain in the bum... so...a water pistol with a 50 : 50 mix of amonia..in their face...end of issue.

I have never seen ammonia for sale in Thailand. So you must not be relating a Thai experience. Where were you?

I see a lot walking with canes. Depending how rabid the dogs are I would suggest ignoring them. I a regular early am exerciser, the dogs don't even acknowledge me now.. Same thing in Vietnam. They seem to like moving wheels though..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand