Street dogs chasing me when I ride on my bicycle

Muggi1968

Had one nearly bite me yesterday on my bike. Was riding with my daughter and one stopped suddenly, so I pulled in rapidly and startled a dog in its drive (gate open!). I was not quite stopped when I saw it, no threatening, it went straight for me and attempted to bite! I pushed the pedal hard and shot forward a little way, but turned around and headed straight back at it (my girls were behind following now, so I wanted its attention on me) - it run back inside. The owner was in the drive shouting at it angrily. If it had bit me it would have received a bloody good kick in the mush!

Bit hard to do any damage wearing flip flops though!

Yeah true. Often I do wear boots and jeans when I go shopping, where we were off to yesterday, but this time I did have on flip-flops and shorts.

In that case wear a hard plastic jock strap,it will give you dignity and protection at the same time

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had one nearly bite me yesterday on my bike. Was riding with my daughter and one stopped suddenly, so I pulled in rapidly and startled a dog in its drive (gate open!). I was not quite stopped when I saw it, no threatening, it went straight for me and attempted to bite! I pushed the pedal hard and shot forward a little way, but turned around and headed straight back at it (my girls were behind following now, so I wanted its attention on me) - it run back inside. The owner was in the drive shouting at it angrily. If it had bit me it would have received a bloody good kick in the mush!

Bit hard to do any damage wearing flip flops though!

Yeah true. Often I do wear boots and jeans when I go shopping, where we were off to yesterday, but this time I did have on flip-flops and shorts.

In that case wear a hard plastic jock strap,it will give you dignity and protection at the same time

Or a strap on - that will make them think twice next time :o

Why would you call me a butcher?

Your apology is awaited.

1st. = Remembering your posts in the past, -butcher- comes in my mind.

You have a 2 class dog system, the dogs who are worth to live and the other who deserve to die.

That is no real dog lovers writing and I remember such attitude in the past history, regarding people.twisted.gif

Sorry that.

2nd, wait, ok. bigg.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

A policeman called at my house the other day - said "We haves been receiving complaints that your dog is chasing people in the soi on a bike. I said "That is ridiculous, my dog doesnt even have a bike!"

=Keesters= That! is humor! clap2.gif

That I agree is humorous

Good, you agree jestera.gif thank you.

• Like 1

Well, my sympathy to the OP. I was bitten while riding on my "work bike" to my place of work. It was a 2-lane highway and the dog belongs to someone. The same bunch attacked me while riding a Honda Wave as well.

Am sick of this!

Well, my sympathy to the OP. I was bitten while riding on my "work bike" to my place of work. It was a 2-lane highway and the dog belongs to someone. The same bunch attacked me while riding a Honda Wave as well.

Am sick of this!

There is something you can do, but I can't mention it on here. Been mentioned plenty times before though, if you do a search.

And say,To-morrow is saint Crispian.

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars

and say,These wounds i had on Crispians day

Old men forget,yet all shall be forgot

But he'll remember with advantages

what feats he did that day

Sounds better than saying,Look at this scar,some mut bite me while i rode my bike to work.

Am sick of this!

Get a taser gun to scar them off... I've yet to see a dog that stands it's ground with that loud crackling sound, if you're lucky they'll get close enough to tasted 80,000 volts!

Or

See if you can entice the dogs onto the busy highway and let them get their comeuppance. SPLAT! [emoji38]

Why would you call me a butcher?

Your apology is awaited.

1st. = Remembering your posts in the past, -butcher- comes in my mind.

You have a 2 class dog system, the dogs who are worth to live and the other who deserve to die.

That is no real dog lovers writing and I remember such attitude in the past history, regarding people.twisted.gif

Sorry that.

2nd, wait, ok. bigg.gif

All utter rubbish and lies. You cannot prove anything you say about me. Shut up and go away back in the hole you crawled out of.

Partial quotes don't work and are a misrepresentation of the facts and used to serve your own twisted agenda.

Dogs will chase you if you show weakness, you should stop and throw some hotdogs on the floor, then the next time they won't see you as an enemy, stop and let them run up to you. I had the same with the same soi dog on my street, now we are quite good pals, I usually feed him left over food.. If you poison or shoot them I hope you have a lot of money to pay for when your in court

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have yet to see some one locked up for poisoning dogs in Thailand

Next time they chase you, stop and get off your bike and walk towards them, full eye contact.

Don't back away as this is seen as weakness. It will just be bark, very rare that they will bite.

Wrong! That may will work facing just one dog.....Facing a group and unarmed?...if one attacks the other will follow and may kill you....Holding a heavy cane got respect....and that is what Thai people do....

a noisy cap gun or explosives to scare them away . very loud firecrackers thrown in their direction scares the sheet out of them and they dont forget you and head over to the other side of town to get away from 'the man with big bangs'

a noisy cap gun or explosives to scare them away . very loud firecrackers thrown in their direction scares the sheet out of them and they dont forget you and head over to the other side of town to get away from 'the man with big bangs'

An RPG-7 fired in their direction will work as well, or one could buy a Hammond, which will protect you if provoked by unruly soi dogs

Riding my motorcye and a dog came out at me, I kicked him in the head, doing 40 kph, he did endo flip, and I laughed like hell.crazy.gif

One other dog chased me another day, as I rode by in Palm Hills, I put on the brakes and got off my bike, and chased him down yelling and kicking at him, he was totally scared and ran away.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I had previously commented I ordered 4 different ultrasonic dog repellers to test and use during my daily runs. I attach a photograph of all 4 repellers; 3 black and 1 yellow. These items are fairly common and wherever obtained online you would likely find these choices. The yellow one was tried last. The 3 black repellers basically sucked. I averaged roughly 1-3 dogs irritated for every 10 tested. A few dogs were attracted to them and wanted to play- totally discouraging. The yellow one has a very different response. While every dog will not run generally most do. If it is enough confidence for me that it may confuse a dog in a crisis then I will carry it. I would not recommend the three black choices (which is regrettable. One of these advertises that it has 2:1 ultrasounds in one device. I hoped this would work but this one actually failed the most). Good luck!

post-201392-0-37942700-1404648600_thumb.

Get a dog whistle when they come at you blow it and do this every time they come near they will soon stop that. The high freq. hurts there ears and is painful they will get the picture.

What you're describing sounds more like what I'd be inclined to call an 'anti-dog whistle'.

Anyway, as a pedal bike rider, having one sounds like a good idea.

Where can I buy one in Pattaya?

Thanks.

PS: Sorry, just noticed this thread is not in the Pattaya forum. Oh well.

Edited by AbeSurd

Get a dog whistle when they come at you blow it and do this every time they come near they will soon stop that. The high freq. hurts there ears and is painful they will get the picture.

What you're describing sounds more like what I'd be inclined to call an 'anti-dog whistle'.

Anyway, as a pedal bike rider, having one sounds like a good idea.

Where can I buy one in Pattaya?

Thanks.

PS: Sorry, just noticed this thread is not in the Pattaya forum. Oh well.

The guaranteed dog deterrent is a piece of water pipe. 100 % success rate when waved at them. Make a holster with a larger piece of pipe wired to the front forks for rapid deployment. A lot cheaper and more reliable than any electronic device.

PS I also had big stones in my basket- free.

if not a Glock 9mm or explosives just a loud cap gun ,the very loud firecrackers are quarenteed to work as well

mearley raising your leg high puts a bite out of range and they get confused about where to aim for

Edited by 3NUMBAS

if not a Glock 9mm or explosives just a loud cap gun ,the very loud firecrackers are quarenteed to work as well

mearley raising your leg high puts a bite out of range and they get confused about where to aim for

All that is left are your nuts

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem in my village. I was spraying the dogs with diluted Windex and this did deter the dogs somewhat, but the most aggressive dogs kept at it and eventually the spray bottle ran out of spray. Doing this also did not endear me to the dog owners in the neighborhood, and was viewed as crazy farang behavior. I thought about ordering bear repellant over the internet, but decided against this because of the risk that it might injure someone's pet or someone's kid. Peddling very slowly or getting off the bike and walking until you have passed also helps.

The best advice I have is: Find a place where there are no dogs or as few dogs as possible to ride your bike in peace.